Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dev Discussion #42 - Gear Color Customization

Comments

• T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2022
    I like a full color palate that allows for individual expression. I love to be able to dye all sorts of things, but especially gear and barding; and especially being able to dye individual parts.

I see arguments against fluorescent colors but Verra is naturally full of fluorescence so I don't hold that it would break immersion.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• MicoMico Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I prefer being able to Dye gear/weapons over glamor.
  • GarrukGarruk Member
    id love to see a broad range of color pallets that are grounded in reality and make sense for the armor set. i wouldn't really wanna see neon colors or crazy fur colors but thats just my opinion.
  • ZahieZahie Member
    edited June 2022
    maouw wrote: »
    Hi hi,
    I like the communities' comments so far, I just want to add:
    PATTERNS!

Especially for cloths/fabrics:
    • polkadots - resizeable, density options
    • stripes - rotate, thickness, density options

Would also be awesome if we could make use of in-game emblems in our designs :)

However, I'd much prefer good performance over these features.

Polkadots/Stripes. Only if it makes sense with the fabric. And for polkadots, it would need to be fabric patches or very noticeable paint brush strokes. Because i highly doubt world of Verra knows how to screenprint... In my opinion polkadots to not belong in AoC. Polkadots were created in the 19th century in real life. World of Verra wouldn't know what that is, even if it's a fantasy game. Those elements are too close to modern day design.

Well, actually screen printing is a 1000 years old technique and originates from China during the Song Dynasty.
    I'm sure the people of Verra figured out how to screen print ;)
  • Zahie wrote: »
    maouw wrote: »
    Hi hi,
    I like the communities' comments so far, I just want to add:
    PATTERNS!

Especially for cloths/fabrics:
    • polkadots - resizeable, density options
    • stripes - rotate, thickness, density options

Would also be awesome if we could make use of in-game emblems in our designs :)

However, I'd much prefer good performance over these features.

Polkadots/Stripes. Only if it makes sense with the fabric. And for polkadots, it would need to be fabric patches or very noticeable paint brush strokes. Because i highly doubt world of Verra knows how to screenprint... In my opinion polkadots to not belong in AoC. Polkadots were created in the 19th century in real life. World of Verra wouldn't know what that is, even if it's a fantasy game. Those elements are too close to modern day design.

Well, actually screen printing is a 1000 years old technique and originates from China during the Song Dynasty.
    I'm sure the people of Verra figured out how to screen print ;)

Lmao, you got me :D But def no polkadots though! I stand my ground on that one being from the 19th century. Too modern day of a print.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    Let me dye every material on each piece. Doesn’t have to be stitch by stitch, but I’d want to change a shirt color separately from it’s metal buttons. The base leather of a bracer different from a decorative embodiment or embedded gemstone.
  • TatianaTatiana Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited June 2022
    Combination of the two, I'm a big proponent of people being able to have the ability to extensively customize their characters, but certain pigments should have certain limitations depending on the material? So for example metals have access to metallic-friendly colors, and the cloth and/or leather materials on their armor have access to others.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Two things I would like to see in a Dye system that aren't actually directly related to 'which dyes are okay with me', are:

1. Changes to the UI, I hate most Dye UI in games, even BDO where the actual preview and coloration is good, managing the dyes themselves sucks...
    2. The ability to create Dye Wishlists from a potential Dye Preview.

I also like the idea of players being able to mix dyes to get the colors they want, which is a way to limit certain colors and not have the 'equal and obvious access to frighteningly bright colorations. As others have said, Materials looking correct works well, I find my immersion is affected moreso by 'This coloration makes the material of the item feel like it changed', and I feel like with all the graphical power and the pipeline used for it, we're beyond that now.

But I really need Dye Wishlists. To be able to 'spend time coloring a set or piece', then 'save that wishlist' instead of having to either write it down or remember it, to be able to have this interact with any 'Auction House' or the ability to leave it somewhere so that someone can sell them to me, or even if we don't want that to be automatic, at least see what I need so they can contact me about it...

It's too easy to overlook precise things such as 'the exact shade of purple I wanted for this specific piece's undershirt' in a game you're playing with a focus on so many other things.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• GimlogGimlog Member
    If you go down the path of dying gears , I hope you limited us the color you already us to colored the world of Vera.
    Don't allow immersive breaking color, plz.
  • JhorenJhoren Member
    I am also in the group of people who don't want many, if any, limits on color options for gear.

I don't need luminescent dyes, except for perhaps those we see from the underrealm, and I would be ok if they only glowed a little bit in the dark.

Ease of use is important to me. If dyes are part of the player economy, then obviously a system that rewards crafters are necessary. If dyes are not a part of the player economy, then please just let us use any and all dyes we have unlocked for an unlimited number of times at any time we want.
  • HandOfUnityHandOfUnity Member, Intrepid Pack
    After discussion within our community people would like full customisation when it comes to dying your gear. However there is a need for the colours to be in keeping with the aesthetic of the game and to avoid neon type colours. The GW2 dying system was cited a few times as a good reference point.
    0viv4khrmh7a.gif
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lmao, you got me :D But def no polkadots though! I stand my ground on that one being from the 19th century. Too modern day of a print.
    Perhaps not possible on Sanctus.
    On Verra, a world with high magic, people can create whatever patterns they can imagine.

• CaerylCaeryl Member
    Garruk wrote: »
    id love to see a broad range of color pallets that are grounded in reality and make sense for the armor set. i wouldn't really wanna see neon colors or crazy fur colors but thats just my opinion.

As long as the colors aren’t eye searing and actually exist somewhere else in the world, I don’t mind colorful armor pieces (they make it easier to track targets, that’s for sure). As for strange fur, we have plenty of evidence Verra will have some colorful creatures to get it from, so it’s not unbelievable a person might have purple leather guards or a red-red fur coat.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A feature I would like to see is an automated complementary color picker, as well as a selection of matching shades, tints and tones. Check this site if you want some examples: https://www.canva.com/colors/color-wheel/

Basically, whenever you have a dye selected, the UI will automatically show the complementary color, and matching shade/tint/tone colors for trims and such. All done in a way so you can lock or freeze those colors into an active palette for you to work with. Even if you don't have the dye unlocked it should be shown, so you know what to aim for.

I realize a lot of this would depend of the type of dye system we're getting, and how free-form it is. But if it's not very restrictive, I would love to see something like this.
  • AdonexAdonex Member
    Perhaps you guys will entertain the idea of a dye that leverages the seasonal tech? When applied to gear, its appearance will change with the seasons/weather much like the creatures and mounts demonstrated in the last dev update.
  • Also, having to buy dye colours in the store is an absolute dick move. So, please make them all available in-game.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • DakHakDakHak Member
    edited June 2022
    Ctz wrote: »
    I agree with most the sentiments here, most basic colors while avoiding the super bright non sensical colors. The more outlandish colors would be more tolerated if they were able to be added to minor parts of the gear (hilt, trim, socks, etc).

This pretty much sums up my thoughts too. The only thing I would add is to request a quality preview screen where we can dye multiple items at the same time in "preview mode" before we actually commit to the dying. This would allow us to see how dyes work together. Though I'm sure that was the plan anyway.
  • I would prefer more options over limited. However if you add options to change the material appearance beyond color like glow, shimmer, etc, I think that should be earned. As an example of this, in Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate you could earn special armor pigments by defeating the hardest monsters in the game. (Deviant Monsters). The color/effect pigment you earned was based on which of these monsters you defeated.

In general I hope colors are not tradable or consumable items but either available from the start or unlocked and infinite use. I would love to have a wide range of basic color options even so far as a comprehensive color picker would not be too far for me. Player customization and how they represent themselves in an MMO is important. The more color, the more creative players can be to form their unique identity in the living world of the game.

• St_NyackSt_Nyack Member
    edited June 2022
    The only dye system that I have any experience to draw from is that of GW2.
    And I like Thier system. The ability to dye an item to what ever color I had and the ability to apply dye to many different components of the clothes item.
    I like choices and options .

Now regarding the color palette.
    I see no reason to limit color choices at all
    Our ancestors All LOVED bright , pleasing and eye burning colors ! Historical art proves this .
    Only problem was that certain colors where very rare or they where limited by the technology that they had .
    My in-game proposition is to give anybody the ability to dye anything they wish , providing they have the dye.
    But make dyes consumables.
    And give multiple professions the ability to make the dyes .
    Have it so that the more outlandish the color , the rarer the material needed to make the dye.
    Remember royal purple ? Very beautiful color but very rare , only source was from a rare sea snail located in the eastern Mediterranean .

• The_Gaming_ButlerThe_Gaming_Butler Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Like many others have said here, I don't want to see neon colors either.

In order of preference:
    -Expansive pallet, but still within reason
    -Limited Pallet (to allow for creative expression)
    -Limited preset color schemes (like 3-5 per armor set)

Someone above also asked to not make the Kickstarter-only only dye color one of the primary ones (Black, White, Gold, Red, etc) - and I also agree with that. A special royal purple only for them is just fine (or something like that), but not one of the primary or main colors that most people would want access too.

I am curious to know how this will impact the load times of large battles, and if it falls under the single mesh call to the GPU thats been discussed before.

Thank you!
    Ashes of Creation News can be found on The Gaming Butler News Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP31ixSBO7GHKLBefWVcJaA
  • I'm more in favor of painting in a more realistic way, not too bright colors and without painting those parts of the equipment where it would look stupid and illogical, but I would not mind, for example, putting coats of arms on shields, as is the case in some games.
    [Sorry from google translate, I don't speak English very vell]
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am curious to know how this will impact the load times of large battles, and if it falls under the single mesh call to the GPU thats been discussed before.

That is an excellent question. Have you entered a question for this months Q&A @The_Gaming_Butler ?

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/52653/next-livestream-q-a-submission-thursday-june-30-2022-at-11am-pacific/p1

Deadline closes this coming Tuesday.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • NZDJKNZDJK Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think dyeing gear is a great way to express uniqueness and individuality, however the colours available need to fit within the colour pallet of the game. Having a down to earth armour design with bright dyes could clash with the game's core image and reduce immersion. Like others have mentioned an ESO or GW2 dye system should be the standard as these are systems that have shown to work.

Also please let dyes be a one time unlock and be tied into horizontal progression. Dyes that need to be obtained through quest lines or certain factions gives players an incentive to complete content, while also serving to provide colours that thematically match the factions.
  • I love the fashionwars Guild Wars 2 dye system. :-)
    Imo it’s perfect! But crazy neon colors and too shiny stuff is not immersive. I think there should be a limiter.
  • A wide range of colors would be nice if written into the lore how how its possible. Special visual effects should be kept through more limiting means if they were to exist at all i.e. mastery of a profession and rare materials.
  • Limit the dyeing customization or at the very least not allow bright distracting colors that take away from the realism and intrinsic feel. Perhaps only allowing dyes and colors that would be used by the races cultural aesthetic that would blend well with their node and style of armor. That could be really neat to see implemented.
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I just like the thought of dying gear taking resources, or maybe being tied to a crafting profession
  • AmmaAmma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like mostly "normal" colors. I mean colors which were realy possible on earth over 1.000 years ago.
    But..... its a fantasy game, so if you want some more shiny, more bright colors, then i would do them very rare.

I would be glad if i could dye two or three different parts of every part of equipment, so not the whole helmet but a main Color for it for the biggest parts, a secondary color for smaller parts and a tertiary color for thin lines or some other very small points.

I would like to dye not only my armor, but the horse-gear, some parts of my house inside and outside, my NPCs, especially the ones who sell something and so on..........
  • I personally prefer a more in depth dye system. I like Black Desert's, but I also think that they go a little too overboard with all the neon/metal dyes.

I would suggest a system similar to that one, but without the crazy flashy/neon/etc dyes. Give the players the option to meticulously dye different parts of the same item, give them a fair amount of colors, but please avoid any colors that would most likely break the world immersion.
  • DezzRevasDezzRevas Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really liked the ESO dye system, though I am on the fence to how to unlock the colors. They had an unlock system based on achievements. I more feel the color pallet should be available for full customization out the gate unless it is part of an artisan skill to attain.

It could work really well if you have to craft color dyes but which skill would have it and how many items in the world would you make to allow for maximum color availability.

I would rather have availability of all colors as readily available as possible.

The things I would like to color are basically everything, each material on an outfit. With the ability to color say only one side of an item a certain way or not. This game is a game to express ourselves in large ways. I would also like an option for guild color switches. So if your guild has a color scheme you can toggle your gear to match for guild events and not have to change your gear out in order to have that uniform.