Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

โš” Let's chat about floating damage text ๐Ÿ’ฏ

VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
16-9_Text.gif

๐Ÿ“Š Players will have the option to adjust a wide variety of UI elements, including floating text!

๐Ÿค” What other elements would you like to change and adjust?
community_management.gif
ยซ1

Comments

• GethOverlordGethOverlord Member
    edited July 2022
    I always like the idea of having different facades and styles of UI borders to toggle between. This is obviously more work for the art team but can improve the immersion for people that like to see their UI elements and not just have it gamified by floating your rotation right in the middle of the screen.

If there's going to be a minimap in the UI being able to adjust its size shape and transparency would also be nice.

On top of that the existing customization already mentioned with the floating combat text font size and color is amazing and I can't wait to dig into it.

I would also like, if it doesn't already exist, for status effects to be displayed in the floating combat text.
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
    Professional Skeptic, Entertainer, and Animal Enthusiast
  • LeukaelLeukael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really like clean interfaces, so controlling things like;

Opacity of the bars
    Removing and bar/UI art
    Size and spacing between buttons
    Positioning (moving bars, buttons, etc.)

I would love an option to have an alert pop up of the button really large when a cd comes up that we can control opacity of as well. That way we can keep our eyes on the game and not constantly looking at CDs on a bar. Procs/key cds would be great to alert in the HUD as well but not really required in my mind.
    Stag-Axiom-Sig-LEAUK3.png
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Personally, I look forward to adjusting my action bars and minimap to fit my style ^_^
    community_management.gif
    On top of that the existing customization already mentioned with the floating combat text font size and color is amazing and I can't wait to dig into it.

Neither can I! Although, I'm not sure how I would even change it. Do you have any thoughts as to what you'd do?
    community_management.gif
    I really like clean interfaces, so controlling things like;

Opacity of the bars
    Removing and bar/UI art
    Size and spacing between buttons
    Positioning (moving bars, buttons, etc.)

I love a clean-looking screen! I use an ultrawide so being able to move UI elements around so I can see more of the world around me gives me joy ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm mostly thinking about all the crazy things that heavy UI customization lets me do with a touchscreen laptop.

Being able to change hotbars to vertical orientation for example, would be amazing for this, but I'm mostly considering how much the various UIs for crafting can be changed, and looking forward to giving lots of feedback on UI customization for those.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd like to edit everything in my UI, I think there shouldn't be any element that I can't move around and resize or change the Opacity - this includes all the icons for buffs, bars, minimap, quest logs tooltips etc - It would be nice to have a few different options for the text font specially for damage numbers.

Don't try to make a good-looking and clean UI, just make it fully customizable so no one can complain about it :)
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
    I'm mostly thinking about all the crazy things that heavy UI customization lets me do with a touchscreen laptop.

Being able to change hotbars to vertical orientation for example, would be amazing for this, but I'm mostly considering how much the various UIs for crafting can be changed, and looking forward to giving lots of feedback on UI customization for those.

Woah! I've never thought about doing this. Have you adjusted UI elements on a touchscreen laptop before? I'd love to see what an end result would look like!

I also haven't personally considered changing UI specifically for crafting. I've never been an excellent crafter before, though. Mostly a PvP junkie ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
    community_management.gif
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: ยป

Woah! I've never thought about doing this. Have you adjusted UI elements on a touchscreen laptop before? I'd love to see what an end result would look like!

I also haven't personally considered changing UI specifically for crafting. I've never been an excellent crafter before, though. Mostly a PvP junkie ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Particularly for those times where you don't have your full setup (whatever special mouse or other peripherals) in slower games.

Horizontal hotbars across the bottom are a little awkward for touchscreen play, but any vertical modification option is great.

I'm looking forward to putting Party Member health and 'selection' icons in lower right under a vertical hotbar for maximum effect. Tap target with thumb, tap spell with index. Instant healing everywhere with no worries about laptop keyboard layout issues.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Vaknar wrote: ยป

Neither can I! Although, I'm not sure how I would even change it. Do you have any thoughts as to what you'd do?

Coming from my custom UIs in WoW I've always liked knowing when my damage was effective. Having text have a "critical effect" if I'm using an effective damage type and equally when it's being resisted being able to modify it so those numbers are stylized differently is important to me. WoW moved away from caring about damage type awhile ago and I still miss it.

Also just having cartoonishly large critical effects is fun, I'd do that in pretty much every UI lol
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
  • Also, do we know if they are letting us change the UI inside "vehicles" where our UI changes entirely? I would like to be able to customize this outside of a vehicle. Perhaps through simulating it in the settings. I like to be able to change things before I'm in the heat of the moment controlling a massive summon in PvP or a timed/turret quest or something.
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Let me move all the dmg numbers into chat (ideally a separate chat window) and let me move any and all UI windows, and I'll be satisfied.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited July 2022
    Adding to my comment from Twitter -
    Reticule location in action UI mode. TERA let us do that but most games have it super low to the ground, over your shoulder - horrible view, hard to see and aim. Let me adjust it way above my head, centrally located.

I also want to point out that many other quality action or hybrid combat games have reticules centrally located on screen, way above the character's head. Black Desert, Neverwinter, and GW2 off the top of my head all have this and they tend to have more widely appreciated combat systems - to compare to ESO and New World who have the low to the ground, over the shoulder view and both have widely criticized combat.

So I'd love either for the game to have 2 or more options for reticule location on screen we can switch between, or let us manually move it. I still feel like I may have to play in tab target view as a healer, but in the off-chance that action reticule mode is at all viable, I really need for the reticule to be centrally located on screen way above my character's head. :smile:

Ideally it would allow me to zoom out to see the battlefield better and the location of my teammates, and while zoomed out, still having the reticule high above my head centrally also allows me to aim at my teammates more easily than if I have to deal with obstacles and other players low to the ground blocking my view of them.

This is also a balance concern as well because I will be able to easily zoom out while in tab target view and it won't affect my ability to target anything, so if I can't also do the same thing in reticule view that'd be a huge hindrance.

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    I'm looking forward to customizing the damage text so that it's easier for me to recognize the damage types of my group mates so that I can more easily synergize my Active Skills and augments with members of my group.

Definitely looking forward to what they might do for map updates and mini-maps.
    And...I'm very curious to see how nameplates will indicate gear type, class and levels.

I don't know what else I don't even know I'd want.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    As long as there is a turnoff option Ill be happy.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If possible, might be nice if you can set it up so the damage number increases for an attack with multiple steps instead of a new number showing up for each hit. For example, that whirlwind attack shows a separate number for each hit and my recommendation would change it so hits after the initial hit would add to the first number instead of creating their own. I believe Guild wars 2 does this with their numbers.
  • As much as I like floating dmg text, I'd also like to have the option to turn it off and have a more visceral experience where I can see dmg I'm doing to monsters by their models changing respectively. Like a 100%, 75%, 50%, and 25% visual change. Nothing too fancy, just extra blood and gashes on the body or something. Maybe that's too much extra work though. Would be interesting to have a whole server without dmg numbers and this instead xD

ya
  • SengardenSengarden Member
    edited July 2022
    NiKr wrote: ยป
    Let me move all the dmg numbers into chat (ideally a separate chat window) and let me move any and all UI windows, and I'll be satisfied.

This is something I never thought about before but think I would love. During periods where I'm not trying to min-max, just enjoying interacting with the world, watching health bars go up and down is good enough for me. Seeing my damage quantified unavoidably sucks me out of the world. Especially with how many numbers Steven is putting off in that GIF in the header post. I'd even go as far as to say I'd like to be able to remove numbers from health bars, since the only use for them is when I can see how much damage I'm doing.

Something I think would be great is the option for a fade in / fade out for each UI piece when interacting (or not interacting) with certain parts of the world so I don't have to toggle it every time. I imagine logging in with no UI and a key-bind to toggle just my mini-map. Key-bind to access only my bag. Upon clicking an enemy, their health bar and status effects pop up. Key-bind to access combat mode that triggers my health bar, status effects, and ability UI to pop up. Click away from them and their info goes away, and I can either choose to have my info go away a certain amount of time after combat ends, or a certain amount of time after my health bar is refilled. Maybe when I eat or drink, my resource bars pop up and fade away a certain amount of time after I'm done. Choose to have my bags open or not when I interact with a merchant's shop. That sort of thing.

I guess I just want to really feel like I'm in my character's shoes. If I'm not in combat, I'm probably not thinking about all my abilities, or my health unless I'm injured. If I know where I am and don't need a map to navigate the immediate area, I'm probably not thinking about a map. If I'm not using my inventory, I probably don't need to see a bag icon. Etc. Making the system customizable so that we can choose to only be shown what is relevant to us at any given moment, on a player-by-player basis, would be incredible.
  • Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    NiKr wrote: ยป

I agree if we can get something like this down below that be cool.
    pvw66143.png

Two mods I loved in World of Warcraft that would love to see something similar in AoC
    -OmniCC: was spell cooldown ticker it would let the player know when he can cast that spell again video example here
    -Bartender4: Extremely customizable UI interface that pretty much did everything video example here

If AoC can do the chat and something similar to the addons im solid.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    LMAO
  • For floating combat text, I like having cumulative numbers sometimes (per mob of course). It can be a nice way to clear up extra text while keeping the information current

I like customizing the placement/existence of all UI during the normal game mode. Remove a mini-map. Place a health bar around my char. Stuff like that. I plan on enjoying this game with a 4k so I'm gonna need all the space I can get ykwim

WoW had some really great chat functions. Idk what it's like now. But I just like grouping specific chats with little restrictions. also, creating multiple chat boxes was sometimes nice.

Bag organization is a massive deal to me. So many modern games still get it wrong. You can't overdo bag organization so def go hard. I want built in filters and customizable filters. That means adding items to an item type that I name myself. I want my bags to feel like a file system, straight up. NEW WORLD DID SUCH AN AWFUL JOB I LITERALLY CANT GET MYSELF TO PLAY IT BECAUSE OF THIS. If we are getting crafting/gathering gear, please let us create easy access "folders" to finding/using that gear. If I'm planning on making a trip to a city for whatever reason and I need to keep track of items through the whole process, a in-depth organizer will make it so much better. I. can't. express. this. enough.
  • Well when I played WoW one of the things that they did is in some cases color code damage bleeding efects are red and poison is purple sometimes with graphic effect. But there are other dmg ove time effects like fire damage. Any ways if let say you do 10k damge over 20 seconds at 2k dmg every 2 seconds and the ticks are color coded then as soon when you stop seeing the ticks then it is time to reapply the damage over time.

Really good for knowing what type of dmg you are taking too so have to show what type of dmg you are taking.
    The WoW UI is decent combined with graphic effects. Black arrow actually has a particle effect and that ability is a damage over time so when particle effect ends reapply ability.

As far as taking dmg if your are taking poison dmg and that color is purple if you have an antidote (potion) that would be indicator to take it.

As for healers when they target an ally maybe they could see color of dmg they are taking to see what ability to use talking about damage over time that is. Or some other visual indicator. However the amount of dmg of the damage over time is helpful cause it helps you gestimate if you are going to be able to survive it.

So lets say you have like 3 stacks of poison on you from 3 different rogues then pretty cool to see what the combined ticks are. Lets say normally rogues can put a 1k per second dmg over time well if you have three rogues on you that would be 3k every second so you would see 3k ticks in purple. But if you are poison by some very minor efect that is useful to know also cause it might not be enough to use a potion or have healer us an ability one you.

Plus in combat text would like to have ability to color code energy gains and mitigated dmg and item effects that have a numercal value not necessarily dmg like shields and heals and energy gains.

Plus roling combat text as option would be pretty cool plus there should standard options for how you wnat the combat text to appear. In LOL the more dmge you do the bigger the combat text is. That would be a cool option.

• UI Profiles that you can download and share would be very cool imo
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    Action bar placement
    Optional additional action bars
    Cooldown Timer customizations
    Optional Sounds/alerts for cooldowns
    Target options for timers on debuffs/buffs
    Minimap customization for anything from aesthetics to placement and even options to show/hide things on the map. Also having shareable map markers for party/raid/guilds

Honestly I want a weakauras level of customization but I understand that it may be a bit much.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I also hope you don't allow people to see nameplates in the UI or target mobs that are supposed to be hidden, such as the rock golems in the last livestream before they agro and start moving, this would ruin the purpose of those mobs blending with the environment - same for players when they crouch in a bush
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Eso is an example to avoid. The game is unplayable without UI addons.
    Without going into specifics, ff14 and bdo have the best UI settings that I have seen.
  • I'm all for customizable UI, but sometimes I screw things up. I would appreciate the ability to set my UI back to default or set it back to how it was yesterday.

Also, please start everyone with a clean user interface. If it's overwhelming, the game is immediately off-putting.

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm all for customizable UI, but sometimes I screw things up. I would appreciate the ability to set my UI back to default or set it back to how it was yesterday.

Also, please start everyone with a clean user interface. If it's overwhelming, the game is immediately off-putting.

The ability to save UI settings to either the server or client is a good thing.

In terms of floating combat feedback, I expect every aspect of it to be able to be customized. I'm not a huge fan of it as it is in the OP - there is no inherent way to see exactly what mob each hit is against, let alone which mob is dealing what damage to the player. This is information that should be a part of how this feedback is set up as standard.

So, the point of origin dof the floating test should be able to be adjusted to any point using the damage dealer and target as reference points.

Additionally, both vertical and horizontal movement should be able to be customized, as well as size of text, color and fade out (which could be color based, size based, or both).

There should also be the option to set text color based on damage type, both for damage taken and damage received.

There should also be an option to set the size if the text based in the total percentage of your HP the hit is for, or the percentage of your targets HP that it dealt - and also allow for larger hits to remain longer, if desired.

Lastly, while this may be difficult in action combat, a player should be able to right click on any number in the floating combat feedback and be given information on who the attack was from or against, which attack it was specifically, and any buffs or debuffs that affected the damage amount.

That is about all the customization I can think of off the top of my head for floating combat feedback. I'd post about other UI customization that I think the game should have, but I doubt I have the time to write it all out - and I am fairly sure I would come up against the forum character limit.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    On top of simply saving UI settings, I would like to see some exporting and importing of settings in a more granular way. It would be cool to be able to import/export sub-sections of the UI. Like all settings pertaining to the minimap for example, so people can share that with each other, but still keep other settings the way they like. And for the really granular-minded folks, let us edit those settings further in Notepad++ or a similar program, so we can export/import very specific parts of those sub-sections.

Speaking of the minimap (and the general map too really), the one we had in A1 was understandably a bit lacking. I would like to see controls for background map opacity and many filters and options for the stuff that appears on the minimap. Navigating just by minimap was hard because it was often very hard to recognize the background features.

The picture below was taken near a goblin camp in A1. Every red arrowhead on the minimap shows a goblin and (presumably) the direction it's facing. It's a little much and it looks messy. Especially if you zoomed out on the minimap.
    91EHbMm.jpg

I would like to be able to change size, color, icon-type, and whether or not any mob, or just certain types of mobs, should even be shown. The same goes for any custom map markers of course. Being able to control the opacity of those icons would be awesome too, as well as layer priority if they are on top of each other.

A more egregious example was during a siege, when Steven spawned a thousand bears on top of us all. Ignore how I and all the bears are walking in the sky. That was a bug. ;) Focus on the mass of red arrowheads just covering the minimap. It's a little much.
    9D244xA.jpg