Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

⚔ Let's chat about floating damage text 💯

2»

Comments

• I think it looks good as it is. I'll probably shrink the numbers a little from what was shown, but I'm guessing that will already be one of the customisation options, so I'm all good.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • One thing that i didnt see in the showcase was the ability for the damage to get added into a big number. This is more important for the damage the player takes i feel.

For example, if I take 18 damage every tick and I also get hit with a sword and I also have an arrow hit me, it will just be a cascade of damage and I wont instantly tell that i lost 80% of my health in the heat of combat.

But if I see a big 3000 damage taken, it will make me go "oh damn, need to fall back now!"

So, as long as the dmg number is still on screen and you get tapped again, add the new damage to it and reset how long it stays there.

Beyond this, it looks good. Maybe have an option to BOLD the damage more so it is clearly visible against any background.
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • Schmuky wrote: »
    One thing that i didnt see in the showcase was the ability for the damage to get added into a big number. This is more important for the damage the player takes i feel.

For example, if I take 18 damage every tick and I also get hit with a sword and I also have an arrow hit me, it will just be a cascade of damage and I wont instantly tell that i lost 80% of my health in the heat of combat.

But if I see a big 3000 damage taken, it will make me go "oh damn, need to fall back now!"

So, as long as the dmg number is still on screen and you get tapped again, add the new damage to it and reset how long it stays there.

Beyond this, it looks good. Maybe have an option to BOLD the damage more so it is clearly visible against any background.

Make it an option, sure. But I think I'd rather have the individual damage numbers.

If I'm taking 800 dmg per second, I want to know which enemy is doing 700 to me and which is doing 100, so I know which to focus first.
  • Def make it an option!
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • I'd like to see free floating buttons that can snap to each other, top, bottom, sides so you can group/nest them in a lot of different ways. Aswell as different sizes, go full tetris on the ui :)

• BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited July 2022
    I want to be able to move everything around, resize everything, change the colors of some elements, change hotkeys for most if not all things, hide/show elements and, last but not least, be able to setup hotkeys which change my "UI profile" from a list of 3 or 4 options: when I press Alt+F1 I turn on my minimalistic UI, Alt+F2 changes to my raid UI with loads of information everywhere and Alt+F3 changes to my tryhard UI showing PvP related information only.

It's hard to list (or remember) everything I'd like to be able to customize, change and adjust, but the quick answer is "as much as possible". Maybe not so much for Alpha 2, but definitely for Beta.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • VyvanceVyvance Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Firstly all the usual customizations such as size, placement, color, opacity, border, rotation & font options for all UI elements to be able to position and style however you want.

For each UI element there will also be additional things you could customize, for instance for the minimap:
    Shape of the minimap (square/round)
    If the minimap rotates with the direction you are facing or if it always faces north and your icon rotates instead (people have different preferences)
    Add customisation options for whatever icons will be on the minimap, like colour, size and toggle options. This could apply to places of interest, players, resources, mobs or whatever icons will show on the map. Being able to customize what you see and what they look like is very nice.

For Chatbox:
    Being able to change the type, size, colour and style of the font for each type of text or chat would be nice.
    Opacity and colour options for the chatbox so you can have a slight background or remove it, same with border of chatbox etc.

For healthbars or icons in particular, I know some people like a really simplistic and informational focused style and other people (especially for their own healthbar/icon) like to have it looking all fancy or fitting a certain theme. So could maybe include customisation options that can add a bit of flare to things like your healthbar or icon, or for the enemy healthbars or icons for elite/legendary mobs etc.

Being able to hide or show FPS or Ping is a given but on top of that, being able to customise more things like where it shows or the size of it is nice too, as well as being able to toggle additional parameter info like packet loss etc.

Having profiles that are exportable and importable will be nice, but also having sub profiles for individual UI elements that you can share with others without having to alter the entire UI at once would be great. On top of this, if you could swap between different UI profiles with a hotkey that could be great so you could use different UI setups for different occasions.

All in all, the more options you add for anything, the better! :D
    hukv48nre0ma.png
  • ykkykk Member
    Resize and move every individual UI element. The more options the better. Including capability to change the colors of elements is good too, but some genuinely well implemented colorblind options (that are not simply a filter) would be like, a minimum in that department.

Two of the most popular addons for FFXIV are ways to change what UI elements look like (Material UI/DelvUI); its highly valued. DelvUI is just recreating elvui from WoW - another incredibly popular UI addon. People found a UI setup they like in one game and can basically just copy paste it wholesale into another and be very satisfied.
    astra mortemque superare gradatim
  • Customizable name plates and health bars and some kind of range indicator for party members.
    As a healer I want clean easy to read name plates I want to physically locate all my party members on screen and know who's in or out of range.

I don't want to be clicking on a stack of health bars at the side of my screen.

I quit playing wow during Legion when they banned tidy plates, the default name plates are obnoxious for healing.
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    I would like the ability to add the skill's name to some of the floating text so at to keep track of that specific skill's damage.
    In the midst of a ton of damage numbers, sometimes keeping an eye out on a few specific skills can indicate how much a certain "rotation" or buffs, gear, level, etc is working towards that skill's damage
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Floating damage and healing text is nice, obviously we should also be able to resize it or hide it. Would ideally like to see all(or nearly all) UI elements be resizeable, add/removeable , and moveable. Transparency settings on a per-element basis would be a real nice-to-have. I would also like to see an option to hide parts of the ui or the entire ui depending on whether or not you’re in combat or not. That said I fully expect the default UI to be more than good enough for 90% of players but the more options the better. We should be able to have a horrendously over complicated setup or a nice minimal one.
  • CawwCaww Member
    if it's on the screen it should be adjustable...
  • Asgerr wrote: »
    I would like the ability to add the skill's name to some of the floating text so at to keep track of that specific skill's damage.
    In the midst of a ton of damage numbers, sometimes keeping an eye out on a few specific skills can indicate how much a certain "rotation" or buffs, gear, level, etc is working towards that skill's damage

Or maybe just the skill's icon, to save on clutter?
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited July 2022
    Morg7x7 wrote: »
    Customizable name plates and health bars and some kind of range indicator for party members.
    As a healer I want clean easy to read name plates I want to physically locate all my party members on screen and know who's in or out of range.

I don't want to be clicking on a stack of health bars at the side of my screen.

I quit playing wow during Legion when they banned tidy plates, the default name plates are obnoxious for healing.

I don't mind WoW's current raidframes for tab healing - I actually use them. But I do agree that easy to see nameplates and healthbars in the world is super important for seeing and healing friendlies! Especially for heals that are more action oriented.
  • horendishorendis Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I want the option to increase the font size for text in the chat box, the quest dialogue and item text. I don't see as well as I used to and the games that have this option really enhance my game experience. I'll play more often and be a loyal player. Please give us older gamers an adjustable UI like that. Thanks
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    As long as there is a turnoff option Ill be happy.

So, you mean to say you like a minimalistic UI, correct?
    community_management.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vaknar wrote: »
    As long as there is a turnoff option Ill be happy.

So, you mean to say you like a minimalistic UI, correct?

IMO, literally every UI element in the game should have the ability to be turned off, turned on, or have appropriate contexts to automatically turn on, as well as the option to alter the opacity based on contexts.

An example would be hot bars. I want the ability to turn each of them off or on individually, but with all of them turning on if I am in combat.

I want my buffs window to show when I have a new buff applied, or when an existing buff is about to expire, but also the ability to mouse over where that window is to show it for as long as it is mouse over.

I want the ability to turn off character portraits in the group window, leaving only names, health and mana of group members showing. If I am not a tank or healer, I dont even need that information and so would want the ability to have the whole group widen translucent unless mouse over (or a group member leaves or joins, I guess). I should also have the ability to set a condition where right clicking on a character in the group window casts a specific spell on them (a buff, heal, what ever I decide).

Basically, there is no customization that players or developers could think of that shouldnt be implemented, there just needs to be options to both save a full UI setring, and the ability to reset everything back to default.
  • BitfchBitfch Member
    edited July 2022
    Disclaimer - not a player as yet, just seen some streams of Alpha 1 so far.

It would be nice to undock some windows (thinking map, chat, quests etc) and place them onto secondary monitors so as to keep my main screen uncluttered. Also prevents me from having to continually open/close them.
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    UI options in general, i would like to open and position most of the hud similarly to just windows in general, and perhaps give the "hide hud" button most games have for screenshots and such, a few levels of use. Hit hide hud once, and it removes borders from open and existing UI to slim their profiles, hit it again for everything gone except hp and mana, hit it a third time for nothing at all, and a fourth to reset.

The floating text options are incredible, and show how in dept you are willing to go for these customization options.

The only other thing i can say is, if you are going to have dept, everything needs depth. Shallows become ever apparent. It will be alot of work, to keep the level of depth the team seems to be aiming for, and the community appreciates that work.
  • For UI i like the swtor approach, all UI elements are movable/modifiable, made translucent, or 1(vertical)/2/3/4/6/12(horizontal) rows (12 elements per bar). Its very dynamic and configurable fits all screen sizes, and you can have different screen sets (small screen/wide screen/ultra wide screen/low rez/high rez) and load them as needed when you moving. Also the keybindings/setups are shareable across your account so you can just load an existing keybinding/screen setup when you make a new character not wasting hours to set it up for every character again.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My only request is the possibility to disable numbers popping up. I play without them everywhere and I hope this trend continues being possible :D
  • GutzgoreGutzgore Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    General UI Options:
    A handful of thought out pre-sets I can quickly swap to if I like.
    Adjustment for all UI icons (buff/debuff/bags/menus/map icons/etc)
    Adjustment to include position, size, border/color, opacity, layers priority, SHAPE, SHAPE and SHAPE again (don't want the same ol squares we always look at, give me circles, hexagons, triangles, etc.), then I can re-arrange them to create some unique combinations of shapes that match what I want to see for grouping types of abilities or whatever. Like a honeycomb pattern of all my buffs together that have opacity. Then maybe I also want a grouping of my debuffs as triangles. You see my point.

Of course the floating text I would like full control of size, font, boldness, color, speed of pop in and pop out/fadeaway (could there be an explosiveness setting? Like something I really want to just pop out fast and big and colorful?)

Just some random thoughts.

• As many others in the thread have said, floating text should definitely be included ... and definitely should be a toggle for players that don't want it.
  • I want to be able to have markers on my map with labels and icons. Nothing fancy, maybe 20 icons and 8 color choices, and a simple name / label I can add. No sharing or anything crazy, but please make it account wide.

I'd also like to be able to create those via a slash command so that someone could send me coordinates and with one command in game I could add map markers.

/mapmarker add 0000,1111
  • MrPocketsMrPockets Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One thing I've always wanted, but never found a really good implementation of, is a UI element that helps display how much damage a tank is mitigating. Similar to how players feel good when seeing a big crit show up after an ability, as a tank I would like to see a large number for mitigation (or aggro?) when I used a big tank skill.

The other UI customization I would like to see is the ability to organize player buffs. For example: If I have class buffs specific to my rotation....I would like to keep those separate from other buffs. FF14 does this to a degree, but is missing a couple things.
  • I personally would like to see multiple presets to be able to set for UI. For example, I would want less things on my screen when I'm in a big raid but don't mind alot of things when I'm harvesting.
  • In general I felt like this combat demo was much too cartoony, also because of the floating numbers
  • CeepexCeepex Member
    edited August 2022
    To me it is really important being able to move my ui especially character HP and Energy bar, enemy target UI, party/raid frames and chat. I usually like having the entire top 3/4 of my screen free of any ui except the minimap. That way I have a more immersive experience.
    I would also like being able to adjust enemy nameplates and the target ui (Circle below target's feet).