Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Player Feedback Request] Tulnar Concept Art Shown During July Livestream

Comments

• Looking good, this is one race i have a complete blank canvas on for expectations. Looking good for the base 3 excited to see how you can meld all three to make somthing unique.

Also i do agree a bird feel would be really cool to this
    2edh26ackfsa.png
    The Wolves of Verra
    are recruiting: https://discord.gg/4bFySwxS
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Solvryn wrote: »
    I am happy where this race is headed.
    I see what you did, there!
    :D

• Zenny9Zenny9 Member
    edited July 2022
    I love these, call me crazy but I want to see a bird version of these like feathers coming out of the arms and head would be a sick addition to the race. They all look very animalistic.
  • Amazing and perfect and I love it. I will withhold final judgement until I see the creator but this is looking awesome and will probably be my main.
    I do want to see an avian race in the future in this vain would be awesome! But all things in time.
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
    Professional Skeptic, Entertainer, and Animal Enthusiast
  • ZainoxZainox Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Is it known how racial skins will effect our character creation look? Because I would love to see the fire racial skin overlayed on the dragon looking Tulnar.
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    Solvryn wrote: »
    I am happy where this race is headed.
    I see what you did, there!
    :D

I'm just getting ahead of the game.
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Love them!
  • SavicSavic Member
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    They feel like a good level of animalistic without being too little where it becomes why bother having the options or too far where it feels like it wouldn't fit as a playable character. Also slightly glowy eyes I love it so much.

I usually just make a human guy character I think is hot but this kinda sold me so much I will have to actually decide what I want my main to be when the time comes.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    No, this seems like the ideal direction to me. Only thing could be having an example of the human side of the blend. I don't think it would fit in the design of this race but the mention of a Bug-arch type in one of the early comments was an interesting idea.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Tulnar concept?
    I usually just make a human guy character I think is hot but this kinda sold me so much I will have to actually decide what I want my main to be when the time comes.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Tulnar race?
    I don't know how it would look but ornaments that can be attached to the horns would be kinda cool since it is like a tattoo for the horns and would help define people from one another further.
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    So I don't really care about races other than Human, but the Lizard/Reptile Tulnar on the right hand side of the concept art looks sick. Reminds me of a Storm Dragon which I love. Please don't change that one.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • TheSturnOneTheSturnOne Member
    edited July 2022
    I love this direction for the Tulnar, before the reveal I was discussing my expectations as something closer in vibe to the Troglodytes in 5th Edition, and the vibes definitely exist; survivors, gatherers, craftsmen, predators. They also give me minotaur vibes, with the horns; I think I want to create a Mandrill/Baboon looking mix of 1st and 2nd Archetypes. My hope and expectation is that ornamentation includes the bioluminescent flora and fauna as decoration and constructive material; bones, fronds, hides and quills, spines, claws, teeth, gems, flaked stone blades even, like possible last ditch arrowheads in case you run out of ammunition, etc. Maybe even some fungal ornamentation, like woven mycelium that glows and pulses neon, or perhaps some long dried-out and curled mushrooms with dull colouration shaped around horns, maybe even sinew strands wrapped between horns which bear beads of bone or gemstone, or use teeth or claws, or even scales.
  • I am expecting and hoping that the Tulnar mouths can open as wide as the species they most resemble. Very Strong Emote capacity with feature. Super looking forward to any bioluminescence Tulnar features may generate.
  • Let me start off by saying WOW!! just WOW!! I always play the beast type race or bulky (bigger) type races. I was already going to play Tulnar as I put my ideal class as a Tulnar summoner. You guys really hit it. Steven.. why was there even a question as to show these. They are THE BEST RACE you have shown lol imo :wink:

1. What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I think the art is going such a good job. I have liked all the models. Tulnar is awesome beyond my expectations. Wasn't sure what to expect really but was so excited and happy to see what was presented.

2. Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    No there isn't out of the three directions I think I like the middle one the least. Can't put my finger on it though. something about the mane. But even that one is super cool looking. even if all Tulnar looked like the middle one I would still be playing a Tulnar lol

3. What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Tulnar concept?
    I love the Tulnar concept. This direction is spot on. This is it. straight to retail lol

4. Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Tulnar race?
    I don't really have anything specific I would like. the basics eg. tails, spikes, tattoos, hoofed feet, lots and lots of horn options. I'm sure you guys already have some cool stuff in mind just based off this tease.
  • I love the starting point you guys have shown! However, I do have some feelings about this race as it was the one I've been the most excited for from the start.

My biggest concern is how aggressive all the options looked. While I understand that the Tulnar are a rough and rugged race, I'm hoping we have some less aggressive looking male options. I can't imagine having a healer or mage Tulnar male if they all look this aggressive.

Along with this, I would hope that there is a range of body styles from bulky to slim for the same reason as above.

I've also seen some suggestions from other people about adding insect inspirations and avian inspirations which I fully support.

• ThatGuyPowersThatGuyPowers Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    they look great I'm 100% going to try and make my first tulnar as close to a seeq as possible
  • The "ape" version for my taste looks too much like a bull - the reptilian version ist great - the cat version i am not the right person to judge on... But i am curious about the mixtures we will be able to create ... besides Vaelune a tulnar Tank would be my second idea in a verry much reptilian way...
    [Fleo Verum] Carolus Dynamicus - Py'rai - Rogue+Fighter
  • ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's going to be pretty awesome to see how different everyone makes their Toenars. We won't have to worry about people looking the same.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • tetrahedrontetrahedron Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    edited August 2022
    I think they look great so far. My only complaint is that the lion/wolf guy in the middle looks a bit weird with his face being skin and the rest being mane/fur. Reminds me a little bit of the sasquatch from Tenacious D.

I'd say he should either have consistent fur texture everywhere, like how the guy on the right has a consistent scale texture, or he should have skin everywhere with a clear delineation between facial hair and skin, like the guy on the left.
  • Oh my, where should I start?

I like how they look unlike any other race. They might come in many shapes, but you can always tell, that this player's race is definately a tulnar. It's like making a brand new monster race every time you enter character creator.

Don't know if the one in the middle has maxed settings, but I wouldn't like my tulnar character having missing patches of fur on face/snout an around the neck if I see right.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Tulnar concept?

Not exactly what I would make for myself but very close. But that's what sliders are for right?

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Tulnar race?

- Tail sliders (lenght, width, ect.), horns sliders(differend curving, size, number of horns per set), option to shape snout,
    option between plantigrade and digitigrade legs for all three types(it's not inverted knees, it's just long foot with raised heel), bioluminecense for sure, and a lot of different fur and scales markings.

Thank you Intrepid team for your great work.
  • WarthWarth Member
    I was thinking I may be torn between tulnar and ren'kai, and then they both have pictures released... Now I'm torn even harder.
    I think that Dragonborn looking one on the right is perfect.

I guess if I was going to nit-pick something I would ask why there are to mammalian options when I was kind of expecting an insect resembling option.

Insect option would have been really cool. That's the race i would have gone for 100%. Maybe Post Launch we'll have some Insectoid or Arachnid type races.

Catgirl and **** Tulnar are not able to be created.[24]
    Schmuky wrote: »
    I CAN MAKE A LEONIN!! This looks amazing, can't wait to see it with the character builder, want to see how the blending works

Exactly what I was thinking. Cat girls....

Straight from Steven's Intreview:
    Catgirl and Lo-li Tulnar are not able to be created.[24]

Going by the interview behind this quote, it seems like they will be animalistic in nature rather than having the ability to make it human with animal features (Catgirl)
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited July 2022
    To help guide the conversation, here are a few thought starters:

To help guide the conversation, here are a few thought starters:
    Love it. All 3 of them.
    No Arachnid/Insectoid Type options
    Love it. All 3 of them.
    Horn customization for the goat and lizard types. Scale types and fur patterns.
    No Tattoos as we know them in humans, but patches of fur and scales recolored forming the Tattoo

Ability to go deep into the animalistic side. For example running on all 4, instead of just 2 legs as well as standing in a more animalistic way (slouching like a gorilla)
  • I think you guys have honestly knocked it out of the park with this initial concept it really looks great. For me the lizard is just standout, but all around really cool.

It's actually hard to find criticism but I think the key will go into the customisation and variety.

It's mentioned but these all look like thick boys, how slim/scrawny will the character creator allow them to be? Are we going to be somewhat chimera like with i.e. head and body of a lizard, but maybe hands of a beast and legs/tail of an Ape? How will the transition work in terms of how the race features mix?

I find concepts and single stills are difficult to get a proper impression as we all want it to be i..e bigger, smaller but perhaps the character creator already has that in mind. But that is probably one of my main asks.
  • Vaknar wrote: »
    Hello glorious community

Tulnar Concept Art
    Tulna.png

This tickles my happy brain place
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited July 2022
    Schmuky wrote: »
    I CAN MAKE A LEONIN!! This looks amazing, can't wait to see it with the character builder, want to see how the blending works

Would of prefered more animalistic ears seeing these the more animal/beast side of the sliders, to go with his lush mane :P the bat ears are ok but i think they could of been better im guessing there fears of somone trying to make a sexy furry (Nothing wrong with furries tbh though) they ended up keeping the more human/elf ears instead of the more animal variant the lion cross tulnar has a bit of a fluffy vampire bat feel too it i find since the elfish looking ears make it look rather like bat ears

Will be interesting to see how the customisation ranges from them however. i would be interested to see how they move/stand in the model will be they be a bit like Charrs from GW2 if they get pushed more into the beasty siude of thing than the humanoid side hmm
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited July 2022
    I do have an issue with one of the designs and that being the left one in the picture. Like does anyone else notice some similiarity (https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Ren'Kai#/media/File:ss-2022-02-27-00_59_16-00008.png)
    its literaly a Ren Kai but with horns, pretty much same ears, same nose, same tusk, same mouth shape/cheekbone line and so on like give that picture the same beard as in the tulnar concept art and remove the horns (Which might be an option in char creation) you have the same character almost atleast the face wise (who knows bout the body).
    I feel this one is a ape cross humanoid but when you think about it orcs are very much already a humanoid ape so you get something super similar.
    These models were apparently the most beastial side of the slider according to live steam but this one to me looks more like the slider all the way to the more humanoid side of things so whats the far humanoid side gonna look like if you did that.

Anyone long story short your 3 concepts are Ape (primate), Lion (Animal), Lizard hybrid (Reptile) and humans are also primates which i dont think blend well since standing up ape = bulky as fuck hairy human aka an orc :pensive:
    I feel you probaly better off changing the left one to have an animal/primate hybrid instead of a primate/primate hybrid.
    Going the direction towards a gnoll i think would of been better so Canine/Humanoid hybrid atleast thats my 2 cents
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    I would know more how I feel if you had shown females as well. I would like to see a frill option on female reptiles.

However, I was a little disappointed that there were 2 mammals and 1 reptile; I would have liked one of the mammals to have been insectoid.

The art team is amazing! I hope there will be as many ways to create a Tulnar as any of the other races; even being able to mix and match different skin types on one toon (like fur patches on reptile and vice versa); and as others have mentioned the ability to make broad and slim body types.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited July 2022

eripufsc3lse.png
    Blending an ape and a human together for the left tulnar design is literaly making an orc just saying there basicly Ren Kai if you go the left concept art :P
  • VurrghVurrgh Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    My first thought - must everything have horns? I think the horns are quite redundant.

Secondly, the lizard looks cool, the middle one is okay, but I can't imagine many people will want to play the first one. It looks like a mix of an orc and a monkey. With horns.
  • Vurrgh wrote: »
    My first thought - must everything have horns? I think the horns are quite redundant.

Secondly, the lizard looks cool, the middle one is okay, but I can't imagine many people will want to play the first one. It looks like a mix of an orc and a monkey. With horns.

and orc is a human crossed ape so realy you just getting an orc with horns and glowing eyes that might even be removeable in character select sooooooo

Also these are the more animalistic version so they will be able to be a bit more humanish theyes are the extreame to the animal side of things
  • JamieKaosJamieKaos Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've never seen a race that made me question my love for orcs. That Gorilla-looking demon dude looks so intimidating, especially after the Orc changes. Tulnar look like they are going to take over the title of beefy boi.

You guys are nailing these races, really excited to see the full models to get a better idea of what to expect and form better feedback around that.
    r0jyzz3tdhj5.png
  • BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
    way better than I thought they would turn out, I approve.