Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Half Races

JamieKaosJamieKaos Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
If they have the tech to blend between the different Tulnar types would it also be possible to create half races? Say a Renki with a Tulnar father and Renki mother. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it and I think it would open up so many different doors for character customization. Push the tech to the absolute limit.

Just like how they described the Tulnar, the highest percentage of the parent race would give the stance animation and they could also tie that in with the racial tag when it comes to their portion of node XP.

One of my favorite things about Table Top RPGS is how much creative freedom you have with your characters and this would just be one more step in that direction.

Thoughts?
r0jyzz3tdhj5.png

Comments

• I think it be cool as a rp idea, maybe its a point if you have enough customization in the character creator and could rp wise say you are a half race.
  • ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fun idea but IMO would be too much scope creep.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited July 2022
    I think they've made it clear that they want race silhouettes to be identifiable and this would be difficult with that many options. I don't mind this idea, but I see how it takes away from having races at all in a game and diminishes the work of creating their unique cultures and characteristics. What would stop it from being half races and not quarter races. Why just mix two or three, why not mix them all?
    Also, I don't think half races are as common in rp when the races are interesting enough on their own. For example, I have found most half races are half human and the issue can be solved by making "humans" a more interesting race or not having them in a fantasy world at all.
  • TatianaTatiana Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I'd rather they focus on ensuring each races customization kit is as expansive as possible rather than dedicating resources to half-races, at least until they get to the point of releasing expansions post-launch.
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    The issues with half-races is that you then have to develop racial augments for all of the suddenly 72 possible combinations, as well as distinct silhouettes and possible storylines.

It's just too much.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They have Half-races. The Emyrean and Py'Rai are half human half monster and all freak.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • WarthWarth Member
    Asgerr wrote: »
    The issues with half-races is that you then have to develop racial augments for all of the suddenly 72 possible combinations, as well as distinct silhouettes and possible storylines.

It's just too much.

Could be an idea for post launch racial skins. I wouldn't like it though
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They have Half-races. The Emyrean and Py'Rai are half human half monster and all freak.

Aren't you a Tulnar player?
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • WarthWarth Member
    I can already see the R34 content of Tulnar Ancestors effing lizards, moles and goats during the exodus.
  • Gonna go with a no on this one.

First reason is lore-wise: When the game launches, it is supposed to be when the portals open and everyone comes back to Verra. So, i don't think there is any time for the races to mingle enough for something like to happen.

Second is node-wise: The Node aesthetic is going to follow the race that is the most dominant in an area. Which is an amazing concept. Vek cities should look 100% different to Tulnar or Renkai. Having half-races is going to muddle this concept to the point where it will stop making any sense.

3rd reason is character identity - wise: When we make out characters, sure they will be unique, but all individuals of a race will still have certain characteristics that are the same and unique to that race (think the wood horns for the Pyrai). Seeing a Renkai with wood antlers is no something I wanna see tbh

4th is development-wise: It would add a ton of work to model all animations and armour and weapons for all combinations. How would a 1/2 Renkai 1/2 Dunir character look like?

5th is feature creep-wise: If they do add 1/2 races, with not 1/4 races? Being able to mix 4 races? It can go on and on and on
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    JustVine wrote: »

Aren't you a Tulnar player?

Guilty as charged your honor. AND I like what I see so far.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be nice, but also a ton of extra work for the developers. Like, months and months. So mainly for that reason I vote no.
  • As others have mentioned, it would likely add additional scope creep that would undermine the individual racial identities. The concept could be an interesting one to explore via a quest line though. A sort of "forbidden love" Romeo and Juliet type story that results in a cursed offspring demon baby. :D
  • HalaeHalae Member
    edited July 2022
    I hate to be the one to mention this, but I'm pretty sure this is just Tulnar.

Tulnar aren't the beast races - they're a mixture of the four main races AND those beast races. And since they work on a slider system, it should be entirely viable to turn the beast races all the way off and just have a hybrid of the main races. And, given I saw those comments earlier about someone being half-tulnar... they already are.