Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Where druids?

Comments

• AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Nowhere druids. Maybe in expansions druids. Perhaps more subclasses in future, druids.

Ya druid?
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    In WoW.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A rose by any other name...
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    In WoW.

I was gonna say they same thing. They should stay there.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • You know what I really like about threads like this? The simplicity of them. The whole thing is just "?". What do you want us to say to that? Where druids? What do you consider a druid? Do you mean a WoW druid or a DnD druid? Do you want to play a druid or do you like killing druids? What exactly are you asking?!
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • YeOldeSmithYeOldeSmith Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Yeah I kind of want them too.
    Something need doing?
    vBOHmDw.png

• Schmuky wrote: »
    You know what I really like about threads like this? The simplicity of them. The whole thing is just "?". What do you want us to say to that? Where druids? What do you consider a druid? Do you mean a WoW druid or a DnD druid? Do you want to play a druid or do you like killing druids? What exactly are you asking?!

He is asking "Where?" Now when, not how, not why, not who. Simply, where.
  • Druid in forest, duh.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
  • I want to play a druid.

Or more to the point, I'm not in to "holy magic" or "light". I prefer nature magic. Earth magic. As far as I recall, there's nothing like that in AoC. It doesn't have to be called a "druid", but a healing class that uses nature and renewal rather than something "divine".

Most of the Cleric spells I've seen have some sort of divine or religious name; Devotion, Divine Censure, Hallowed Ground, Divine Light. That doesn't appeal to me at all.
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    Catmonkey wrote: »
    I want to play a druid.

Or more to the point, I'm not in to "holy magic" or "light". I prefer nature magic. Earth magic. As far as I recall, there's nothing like that in AoC. It doesn't have to be called a "druid", but a healing class that uses nature and renewal rather than something "divine".

Most of the Cleric spells I've seen have some sort of divine or religious name; Devotion, Divine Censure, Hallowed Ground, Divine Light. That doesn't appeal to me at all.

The base classes they have chosen is at fault for this.

Dps- warrior, mage, ranger, rouge

Tank- tank

Support- cleric

Jack of all trade/support/odd ones out- summoner, bard.

The best way to end up with a druid feel, in theory is probably playing summoner, and aiming for support then going with ranger or cleric to make the class either fit your feel more or fit your support role more. Which doesnt feel right. Or going cleric, playing with a feel you do not like until you get your secondary class, and take ranger, hoping that rounds out your feel....

The 8 base classes, really gives support roles the most restricted feeling among them. We can really just hope that augments make up for this, and augments you can have before gaining your secondary class are varied enough to smooth out the feel of your wanted flavor.

To add to this though.... druids could also use "holy magic" by definition. Instead of praying to a church-like god. You pray to the earth mother for your power. Its just "green light" over "white holy light" hopfully their religion systems, and augments can make this feel as you want it too.

I personally would have rather had druid over summoner, but i believe their augment system had a lot to do with the 8 classes that were chosen, seeing as each class needs 4 unique augments. And ranger and druid augments would probably overlap.
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Druids and monks were in the original game design but got scratched early on if I remember correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if they're an expansion later after release
    edited July 2022
    Druid is basically a Cleric/Ranger or Ranger/Cleric.
    In Ashes, could be a Ranger/Summoner or Summoner/Ranger.

Ashes doesn't have a shapeshifting class.
  • ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Druids and monks were in the original game design but got scratched early on if I remember correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if they're an expansion later after release

I don't believe you're remembering correctly, the archetypes as far as I'm aware have never been altered since they were publicized. If you have a source though, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I also wouldn't expect any new archetypes to be added through expansions. The amount of work required to add additional archetypes would likely be exponential, making it an unsustainable method for delivering new content.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Dygz wrote: »
    Druid is basically a Cleric/Ranger or Ranger/Cleric.
    In Ashes, could be a Ranger/Summoner or Summoner/Ranger.

Ashes doesn't have a shapeshifting class.

It's not so much the shapeshifting, more the class fantasy. I've never been interested in (WoW) hunters, or pet classes, so I don't think I'll want to play Ranger or Summoner.

I only ever play healers really. I played for ages as a Holy Priest in WoW, but Druid and Shaman both appeal more to me. I've never wanted to play a WoW Paladin either.

I'll probably end up as a Cleric, but I won't enjoy it as much as I would if it fitted my preferences better.
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    Elder wrote: »

I don't believe you're remembering correctly, the archetypes as far as I'm aware have never been altered since they were publicized. If you have a source though, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I also wouldn't expect any new archetypes to be added through expansions. The amount of work required to add additional archetypes would likely be exponential, making it an unsustainable method for delivering new content.

I'm pretty sure I heard it off one of the CC's... maybe @Jahlon ? Many apologies if I'm putting words in someone's mouth :smile:
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2022

I'm pretty sure I heard it off one of the CC's... maybe @Jahlon ? Many apologies if I'm putting words in someone's mouth :smile:

The archetypes haven't been changed since the game was first announced. What apparently happened was originally there were 3 more archetypes planned, but Steven scrapped the idea when he realised how much of a gargantuan task it would be to implement 3 more archetypes into the Ashes class system (seeing as how each new archetype that is added is basically multiplicative in regards to augments and stuff).

They've never revealed what the 3 archetypes that were scrapped were.
    nI17Ea4.png
    edited July 2022
    It's not so much the shapeshifting, more the class fantasy. I've never been interested in (WoW) hunters, or pet classes, so I don't think I'll want to play Ranger or Summoner.

I only ever play healers really. I played for ages as a Holy Priest in WoW, but Druid and Shaman both appeal more to me. I've never wanted to play a WoW Paladin either.
    I dunno what you think a Druid's class fantasy encompasses.
    It's typically a form of nature priest. In RPGs, it's fairly common for the class to include animal shape-shifting.
    If Elemental Priest fits with your concept of Druid, Cleric/Mage or Mage/Cleric might be the way to go.
  • A druid was a member of the high-ranking class in ancient Celtic cultures. Druids were religious leaders as well as legal authorities, adjudicators, lorekeepers, medical professionals and political advisors. Druids left no written accounts. While they were reported to have been literate, they are believed to have been prevented by doctrine from recording their knowledge in written form. Their beliefs and practices are attested in some detail by their contemporaries from other cultures, such as the Romans and the Greeks.

The earliest known references to the druids date to the 4th century BCE. The oldest detailed description comes from Julius Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico (50s BCE). They were described by other Roman writers such as Cicero, Tacitus, and Pliny the Elder. Following the Roman invasion of Gaul, the druid orders were suppressed by the Roman government under the 1st-century CE emperors Tiberius and Claudius, and had disappeared from the written record by the 2nd century.

In about 750 CE, the word druid appears in a poem by Blathmac saying that he was "better than a prophet, more knowledgeable than every druid, a king who was a bishop and a complete sage." The druids appear in some of the medieval tales from Christianized Ireland like "Táin Bó Cúailnge", where they are largely portrayed as sorcerers who opposed the coming of Christianity.[6] In the wake of the Celtic revival during the 18th and 19th centuries, fraternal and neopagan groups were founded based on ideas about the ancient druids, a movement known as Neo-Druidism. Many popular notions about druids, based on misconceptions of 18th-century scholars, have been largely superseded by more recent study.

That's all I know about Druids, man.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    BaSkA13 wrote: »

You forgot to include bear tanks and stealthed horned pumas.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    CROW3 wrote: »
    BaSkA13 wrote: »

You forgot to include bear tanks and stealthed horned pumas.

Please call them Bear Protectors thanks XD
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Where are the Samurais, Ninjas, Pirates, Dragoons, Dark (Death) Knights, Engineers, Monks, and Barbarians?

I dunno what you think a Druid's class fantasy encompasses.
    It's typically a form of nature priest. In RPGs, it's fairly common for the class to include animal shape-shifting.
    If Elemental Priest fits with your concept of Druid, Cleric/Mage or Mage/Cleric might be the way to go.

What I mean is I'm more drawn to the nature-based magic and healing than any shapeshifting.

I guess I'm heavily influenced by the version of druids and earth magic in 2000AD stories I read as a child, most specifically the Sláine strip. For example, Cathbad and Nest from Tír na nÓg, and Danu the earth goddess.

I don't recall shapeshifting from those stories, although Sláine could warp-spasm, contorting his body into powerful monstrosity (based on Cú Chulainn).

Couple that with pagan beliefs and traditions that centred around such things as nature, the seasons, the moon etc. or neo-pagan religions such as Wicca and my Green/environmental beliefs and that's more where I'm at.

D&D druids might have Wild Shape, but my idea of the character I want to play is based on the things I outline above rather than a norms in other fantasy games or characters like Radagast or Merlin (both arguably druids although also described as wizards).

• daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited August 2022

I'm pretty sure I heard it off one of the CC's... maybe Jahlon ? Many apologies if I'm putting words in someone's mouth :smile:

Aha, well there's your problem right there. The only content creators worth listening to are Steven and Margaret, who do a monthly stream with REAL info.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    edited August 2022
    (I find it hard to believe Jahlon said Ashes will have a class called Druid. The Classes chart image in the Wiki has not changed since it was first revealed by the devs.)
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    A long time ago in a land far away, in 2017 when Steven did his very first 24 hour stream for charity, Steven was on about hour 22 and I asked him if there were ever going go be more than the 8 Primary Archetypes.

He said [paraphrase] Its funny you should ask that, originally we had 12 but we cut it down to 8.

When we started asking him questions about it, he immediately went from exhausted to refreshed, and didn't want to talk about which 4 didn't make it for obvious reasons.

So no, Jahlon never said there would be Druids.

Also for all the people who think that Druids were hunters/warriors and holy people living in the forest, do a little research on the Druids. While yes the Druids were religions leaders and healers, they were also teachers/scholars, political advisors, the legal authority (judges), and many other roles in the Celtic society.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • LuKe_NuKeS_EmLuKe_NuKeS_Em Member
    edited August 2022
    It is too bad they eliminated the 4 other Archetypes. Players are hard pressed to find augments from their Guild, Religion, and Race to piece together the traditional Archetypes that are not present with just the Class/Subclass system.

I don't know anyone who wakes up and says "I want to play a Wild Blade, Song Warden, Predator, Spellstone, etc"

The classes with seemingly random names that have no emotionally compelling story to back up their design need to resonate, and that requires an education that players simply do not have time for.

There are plenty of already established Archetypes from culture and history that people know how they play and what they do simply by the name. Don't reinvent the wheel here, just use classes that people know and want to play.

I mean...it's not like real-life Rangers were all dual-wielding and shooting magical arrows.
    Fantasy Druids are not exactly like real-world druids.
    RPG Druids typically include shape-shifting, but not always.

If your expectations are based on real-life chronicles and ancient poetry, Ashes is likely going to be significantly different than that.
    The Ashes NPC Druids probably will be very different than real world druids.
    Even though Ashes doesn't have a class named Druid, you might be able to find something that comes close to what you imagined a druid to be... just won't have the label of Druid.
    I mean...it's not like real-life Rangers were all dual-wielding and shooting magical arrows.

That’s bullshit, it’s common knowledge that Drizzt Do’Urden is an instructor at Ft. Benning. 🤔

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png