Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Text-To-Speech (TTS) for all ingame quest dialogues and lore texts

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
I would like to see TTS implemented for all quest/library text windows. It's a basic accessibility feature.

Whenever you are given a quest and that text box comes up that 80% of players skip because they either can't be arsed to read, or because they struggle to read (dyslexia, language issues), a little TTS icon should appear next to the text so players can listen to it. No fancy and expensive voice-overs, just Brian or Emma, or whatever TTS voice is applicable, to read the text for the player. It doesn't have to have a precise pronunciation of everything, just good enough to be understood.

In terms of basic accessibility, I see it as no different than having sub-titles as an option in cut-scenes.

I've seen this topic mentioned in twitch chat and buried in a thread on the forum here, but I think it deserves a post of its own. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    Imagine va for lore time from an npc in a library or town hall. Just sit back and listen to the x, y, and z while you are doing other things in the house.

ya
  • Options
    HalaeHalae Member
    Holtium wrote: »
    Imagine va for lore time from an npc in a library or town hall. Just sit back and listen to the x, y, and z while you are doing other things in the house.

ya

The reason TTS is the preferred option here is because voice acting costs a lot of resources. What Nerror is asking for here is computer generated text-reading, so we know what's being said without depending on VAs needing to be paid for everything.
  • Options
    Agreed. This is just a good idea and if it can be implemented it should be. Even if not at release then eventually.
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
    Professional Skeptic, Entertainer, and Animal Enthusiast
  • Options
    This popped in my head the other day when asheshq were doing a little chat on accessibility. Felt like an easier way tonaccommodate the visually impaired and you don't need voice actors so seems like a win win overall.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    Agreed, considering how easily it is implemented, there is no reason why AoC should not have it.