Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Player Feedback Request] Updated Ren’Kai Concept Art Shown During July Livestream

Comments

• TryolTryol Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    I love how stylistic it is. It's great to see Intrepid making their own, unique, less realistic art style compared to the earlier iterations.

I like the Asian aesthetic.

I'm not sure about the ears.. they look too elvish. The one on the previous iteration looked more orkish.

• maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    maouw wrote: »

I'm concerned about the heavy asian influence of this race not simply because of "the FACE" but because the face change represents an overcommitment to a cultural influence that, in my opinion, will spell the doom of this race in the long term.

@Liniker

EDIT: I should explain - I was fine with the previous iteration because the asian influence was less concentrated but if we're going full asian features, we're hitting a level of "cultural influence" that goes too far.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I'm concerned about the heavy asian influence of this race not simply because of "the FACE" but because the face change represents an overcommitment to a cultural influence that, in my opinion, will spell the doom of this race in the long term.

@Liniker

EDIT: I should explain - I was fine with the previous iteration because the asian influence was less concentrated but if we're going full asian features, we're hitting a level of "cultural influence" that goes too far.

If the character creator works at an appropriate level, you should be able to take a "very strong asian inspired race" and make it into something preferable to you anyway. The race concepts are just the core of the race. This is more a concern for when the character creator comes out for testing and feed back, let them know you yourself cant make the character you want then. Due to the restrictivness of things.
  • DaggialDaggial Member
    edited July 2022
    Old orcs looked like orcs.
    New orcs look like elves with big teeth.

bhpx998augtj.jpg

I prefer the old concept.
    kWbm5nG.gif
    Monkey Business (EU) is RECRUITING
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Daggial wrote: »

bhpx998augtj.jpg

I hope the character creator allows for enough customization that both are possible.
  • Daggial wrote: »

In most other fictional settings (including Tolkien’s The Silmarillion), Orcs are descendants of Elves.

Surely, you can formulate a better reason for why you don’t like the latest concept direction, @Daggial?
  • ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

In most other fictional settings (including Tolkien’s The Silmarillion), Orcs are descendants of Elves.

Surely, you can formulate a better reason for why you don’t like the latest concept direction, @Daggial?

Their reason for not liking the latest concept direction is preferring the old concept. It's right there in black and white. :D
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • I think the asian influence on eye shape works quite well. They look good. Though I think keeping the possibility for their physique to remain strong and bulky is important, since they are a martial focussed race. I'm getting a very "gentle warrior" vibe, which I think makes sense. Disciplined, philosophical, but very ferocious when the time calls for it. I didn't hate the old model. Though I will say that the facial hair and hairstyle does a lot for this race.
  • I think Orcs should be scarier, uglier. I don't dislike the current design, but I would like Orcs to look a bit more like the ones from LOTR and/or Warcraft 3.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • I like it, but to me a lot of orc "identity" is in their muscular skeletal appearance and movement, the concept art I have seen so far, I like. GOOD JOB ART team !!!!
  • Since playing a Ren'Kai appears to be the only way to get an Asian aesthetic with your Archetype, I would lean into the Asian vibe as much as possible, but not too Yakuza.
  • SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'll caveat by saying I am only guessing the full model from the head/shoulders concept so my feedback could be off the mark.

What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    Looking at the two versions of the Ren'kai side by side, it looks like people (myself included) critiqued the square features of the previous Ren'kai. However, for me this was an overcorrection from the previous version. I like the more pronounced tusks, hair style, and cultural feel the adornments provide the new Ren'kai.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    I dislike how angular and narrow the updated appearance makes the Ren'kai. They almost look like green elves with this concept. As I mentioned above, I feel like this is an overcorrection from the initial reveal, and as someone excited by the intial Ren'kai, my ideal would be somewhere in the middle between the two types of facial structure. Second, it is hard to surmise from the bust, but it looks like the body model has been thinned from the initial concept, the eyes appear more human, and the hide like textures reminiscent of the race's draconic lineage have been removed. To me, these ultimately make the Ren'kai feel less unique, and by extension less appealing to play.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Ren’Kai female & male concept?
    Overall, I like the changes made to the proportions of the face, specifically the jaw and tusks. However, I think the concept looks too narrow and pointed, especially the male. Only guessing the full design from the concept, I probably like the original Ren'kai better than the update.
  • Gilikoth wrote: »
    From the perspective of my 8-year-old, "I was expecting them to look more scary and tough but they look too cute, especially the man. They need to have a tougher/intimidating look and more muscular-looking faces."

An 8yr-old thinks they look "cute". That says it all.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

bhpx998augtj.jpg

Which one looks the most like TOS Star Trek Klingons, with their super-cheap effects budget?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fvignette.wikia.nocookie.net%2Fmemoryalpha%2Fimages%2F7%2F79%2FKor%252C_2266.jpg%2Frevision%2Flatest%3Fcb%3D20090212231042%26path-prefix%3Den&f=1&nofb=1
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I prefer the new direction, but, at the same time, I hope the raw strength and "brutish" look of the previous models aren't completely gone. Hard to say with only the heads and no idea how much customization for the race at character creation can impact this aspect.

Definitely prefer the new nose and general look. Maybe a stronger jaw line and weathered skin texture?
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • For my tast a little too much asian vibes and not grimm enough when i think about a brutal orc that can escalte out of no reason... but besides the taste verry well done.

I feel the old renkai concept art being moved into the more human side of the slider of tulnar in replace of the more asian one we getting now.
    If u wack the beard and the horns from the red tulnar onto the old renkai model they line up perfectly there a pic in the tulnar discussion of a paint cut out from the tulnar model onto the renkai model and it kinda fits perfectly :P so it possible that model being move to the humanish slider of that specific tulnar version.

bhpx998augtj.jpg

68vn3s6brfw0.png

old model might become the more human version of a tulnar if u put the slider all the way to human side of things. Because there kinda uncanny when u wack the horns and beard on the old renkai model. But who knows how much of a humanish look we can get going the total opposite side of the spectrum since what we been shown was the more beast scale of things
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited August 2022

bhpx998augtj.jpg

I hope the character creator allows for enough customization that b
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    I think Orcs should be scarier, uglier. I don't dislike the current design, but I would like Orcs to look a bit more like the ones from LOTR and/or Warcraft 3.

i feel they look more like warcraft orcs now tbh
    https://images.blz-contentstack.com/v3/assets/blt3452e3b114fab0cd/blt7c2f5b3375737e6a/616da56f42066603940a6b49/J99H987DKGN71620936735242.png
  • Anduin KayvaanAnduin Kayvaan Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    I do love the new facial structures! But I do hope you do not get rid of the Dragon like scales on their skin
    ckja7ry05gj4.png
    Gray Sentinels Guild Recruitment https://tinyurl.com/Gray-Sentinels
  • I think the new art style for the Ren'kai orcs is not as good as the previous art work you have shown. I personally prefer orcs to look large, muscular and vicious. This new art direction makes them look scrawny and weak.

Overall though, I think you're doing a fantastic job. Hopefully we can have the options to beef up our Ren'kai orc with the use of sliders. If we can change body type/muscularity and strengthen the facial features I will be happy.
  • ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer the older, meatier version. I also liked the older less-green color more so if this stays hopefully we get a decent variety of skin-tones to choose from. Honestly I feel that a middle ground between the old and new would probably look great. Nothing that having appropriate sliders/selections available during character creation couldn’t fix I suppose.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I do like the more asian look, but after spending some time looking at the pictures, both the green and and beige versions, I am staring to agree with the people that like the old version. If you can somehow brutify them more, while keeping the asian look, I would like them more. Especially the female needs some brutification instead of Rosycheeks McBabyface here :wink:

I actually like the ones below, but I also think they look more brutish than the new version Intrepid presented.
    Liniker wrote: »
    wm6ug0n8wsq4.png

8leacuy9fzns.png

• LuKe_NuKeS_EmLuKe_NuKeS_Em Member
    edited August 2022
    I agree that choosing Orc to represent Asian influences is a bad choice right from the get go. Players who want to play an Orc want a meaty big race to play (they will likely be forced to go Tulnar instead and be sad with it). The players who want to play a Samurai, Ninja, Dragoon, Monk, or other Asian character are forced to play Orcs...which they probably do not want to be forced to play.

I'd say if you wanted to pick a fantasy race to represent the Asian aesthetic you would be better of with a traditionally lithe race like Elves, but I don't think fantasy races representing real world cultures is a good idea at all in the first place.

It would be better to have Orcs that have Orcish influence and have Jobs/Archetypes/Classes that represent the Asian derived fantasy tropes. Separating things this way allows for more options as any race can look and play as a Samurai, Ninja, Dragoon, or Monk with the right class, armor, and weapon.

If the game is launched with Ren"Kai being the only way to get an Asian aesthetic, I think the Ren'Kai will be a very popular player choice. However, at the same time, I think those players will be less than satisfied with their options.

The Ren"Kai are also supposed to be the swamp dwellers. When I think of Asia, I don't think of swamps, even if they are prevalent in real life. A great example of swamp dwellers that make sense on their face is the Swamp Benders from Avatar: The Last Airbender https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5JaLzOvUE). This is what I think of when you tell me people live in a Swamp and I think most people would agree that these characters make sense.

The player characters do not need to make sense on their face, by design they should be the special or unique characters, but anything the game presents to the player should make sense at first glance.

"Oh, of course these are what the swamp people would be like."

or

"Yes, it makes sense that the wood elves would have a trap here"

That's the reaction you want players to have when they experience the game. You don't want them to have to read the 20 pages of backstory to know why the Ren'Kai are Asian swamp dwelling orcs and why it makes sense.
  • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    - I like this direction much more than the original.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    - nope, I think this is a major improvement overall!

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Ren’Kai female & male concept?
    - Great overall, though I would have liked to have seen both the Green and Red variants.
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I feel they have improved.
    Less gorilla like in my eyes.
  • Love the direction for the female, and this model looks better, but I think the male could use a more rugged full beard and more rugged eyebrows.Shamanistic doesn't have to mean automatically feminine.
    I was born in the Pyrian royal family of Eradal.

https://Twitch.tv/Eradal
    https://Twitter.com/Eradal_

OC9k.gif

• I want big muscular orcs. Preferably would want to look like Blackhand or Garrosh from WoW. These look fine, but kinda don't care for the Asian face, don't look very savage.
  • hi all,

i liked older model better, new one not that much

old male looks brutish, and overall screams that's tank class/ warr
    new one more like mage or something

• DsdCMYy.jpg
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • I like the concept as it adopts how we normally associate Orc races from other games, but in a more realist sense rather than the over-the-top overbulked fantasy version. However, when I think of Orcs i think of a more primitive / hunting race, relaying on meat as a main source of food. As such I feel that the eyes should be bigger and take up a larger portion of the face to emphasize the need for spotting prey and the same for the nose, relying on their sense of smell. Cheekbones should also be broader / thicker again to maybe highlight or stay true to their origin.