Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Player Feedback Request] Empyrean Concept Art Shown During July Livestream

Comments

• "Underwhelming" is the word that came to mind when these concepts were shown and legitimate disappointment.

The Py'rai's uniqueness really stole the show and set a sort of standard for the elves that these models for the Empyrean simply do not meet. They're supposed to be the most magical race, and they don't look magical at all here. The Py'rai look far more magical and connected to the world and essence. These Empyreans look like straight up lord of the rings elves with crowns. Which if the goal is to make a classic race like the Dunir to contrast against the more unique concepts of Vek, Ren'kai, and Py'rai, then that makes sense, save for that the racial pairs have been balanced so far with classic vs unique renditions.

The Empyrean don't seem up to par with the other races in this first pass. The male's eyes are way too small compared to the female's for some reason, though that may be changeable in character creation. One question that wasn't answered on the stream was if the crown is part of them or if it is a removable accessory. It makes sense that the branchlers can't be removed, as they are growing from the Py'rai's head.

IF the crown is the same sort of mandatory piece, then forcing players to keep an accessory on at all times doesn't make any sense. If it's not an accessory and it actually is part of them then it doesn't look like it at all.

The Empyrean really should look more magical. They have all this magical background and prowess and they don't even have glowy eyes or tattoos or anything uniquely Ashes about them in this art. Anyone looking at the Py'rai know immediately what game they're from. Same with Orcs, Ren'kai and Vek. The Empyrean should be the same. Both elven types should be in the same class of uniqueness and detail. The humans are both balanced, the dwarves are both balanced, the orcs are both balanced, the tunlar are... tunlar, but these elves, Empyrean and Py'rai, are not at all balanced between each other in terms of detail and unique features. They are "underwhelming" in comparison.

Of course since this is the first pass it could be that it's hard to tell what's going on in that art. The Py'rai have glowing eyes in game that didn't show up in their respective art either. Empyreans should have 'at least' that much and more of an explanation on what the crown is and if it's mandatory. Horns anyone can work around for an outfit. You can't take off horns and no one would expect that if it's part of the 'race'. That's fine. A crown is going to be 'hey why are you wearing that with the black leather rogue armor'? It's going to look silly if it remains not actually part of the physical nature of the race in appearance, if the color of it can't change, etc.
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I like the haughty and elegant vibe they give. That's what high elves look like in the minds of a majority of players and fantasy fans.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    Though I enjoy the overall look, and I understand that the character creator will allow me to edit this: I am not in love with the more triangular shape of the male's jawline. I understand that the high elf vibe is that of an oval or triangular shaped face, but I personally believe it detracts from their still very capable physicality.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Empyrean female & male concept?
    I like them and I'm curious to see if they will be strikingly different from Humans once rendered in game. Be it size, body shape, or more obvious ear length.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Empyrean race?
    Ear length, extensive hair options and perhaps extended range for height.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I think this is a great direction. And it really captures the depiction of what is considered a High elf for many.

atm it is looking like there isn't much differentiation from the humans. Seeing now the other races finally all together mostly...the 'High elf' race which is always known to represent this unique ethereal beauty and divine aspect seems washed away in contrast to the work of the other races.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Empyrean race?
    I feel as though there could be more options or features to really elevate the Empryean feel of the elves. For example, options for glowing eyes, tattoos, maybe even shimmer in the hair or optional crown pieces that are only for this race. I feel as though you can still give them an ethereal quality that would justify the depiction of 'angelic' beauty the elves are known for...without changing this concept completely. Making them fir in with peoples concept of a high elf, whilst giving them a unique stand out feel among the races.
    Saturn_Aurora.png
  • LunariGoddessLunariGoddess Member
    edited August 2022
    Edit: I literally erased all I wrote before because after seeing some comments, I do definitely agree with them that they should be way more magical. Other comments mentioned/showed glowing marks/tattoos, glowing eyes, and floating glowing accessories, and I believe all of those would be AMAZINGLY PERFECT for the Empyrean, literally, all of them. Please, we want those!, especially the glowing tattoos/marks. I would love to create an empyrean elf with a crescent moon in the centre of the forehead :D and much more.
    npxg1g9bl1f0.jpg
    ⋆⁺₊⋆☾⋆⁺₊⋆‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Blessed you are, living in the night, guided by me and all my dear stars ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ ⋆⁺₊⋆☽⋆⁺₊⋆
  • I like them not having the collar anymore. I don't hate the laurel wreath inspiration (could be refined still, but good idea).

I think they look too bland though. I also think that combining harsh Mediterranean traits with high elves is a difficult task.

I hope they become less cartoonish, and get softer/"I'm more elite than you" traits. In the end, while I understand the Roman influence, you mostly used the Renaissance, romanticized perspective of it for the architecture. I think this is more in line with ambitious elves trying to revive their once almighty culture, and could give them more cohesive features.

In terms of customization, of course refined head jewelry is where it's at. Maybe going easy on edgy tattoo options in favor of more refined decoration.

So my opinion seems to go with the consensus.
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They are perfect! Please don't change them again! GREAT work!
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Btw, it's curious that their eyebrows are dark while their hair is platinum blonde, lol.

Eyeliner :D

eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Overall they look great, I would only suggest tuning their identifying features to be a little more pronounced. I claim thinness in their chins and noses to be the cardinal features, to go along with the lithe ears. I think these changes will make them a little less plain and have more personality.
  • I absolutely love the way they look, in regards to people demanding certain features be added or changed I think the best route might be to add options and sliders, I'd love a glowing eye option because I understand why some might want regular eyes. I wish people were more respectful in the way they voice their opinions, it's really nasty and spoiled when you demand features because you believe that your opinion reigns over everyone else.
  • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?

It's a great start so far! I'm loving the basic elf look, something simple but yet, I would like to see subtle things to make them stand out. Sometimes less is more.

Please let us take off the crowns x.x

Subtle things to make them stand out, something that would hint to their affinity to magic. Something as simple as allowing their tattoos to have a subtle glow to them. Or maybe adding a glow to their eyes.

jo3cz6gjwv651.jpg

d34bf2952b99e0bc65e0eaa9dd8f17f3.jpg

8c383eb3a761146e5597f036cd937c7a.jpg

• WestergardWestergard Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?

I'm really glad that the Empyreans offer a more standard high Elf design and I'm sure a lot of other people do as well. The current iteration looks and feels like a standard Elf, poised and elegant.
    The design of the ears and eyebrows being normal is also rather pleasing and their skin not having grooves/roughness like the Py'rai have is also good.

The crowns are definitely a pain point, I'd really prefer to not have them be mandatory.
    Please allow us the option in character creator to make a character without the crown or give us the option to hide them much like mmorpgs have been allowing people to hide hats and helmets. From a practicality standpoint, having to constantly wear a crown is weird. What if my character is a rogue? I'd be walking around like a chandelier? What if some random warrior janks that thing during combat? What if I'm digging or climbing trees or swimming? It's impractical! Crowns are heavy as hell. If it's an accesory that's optional I'm sure there will be a few people that like them.

Other than that, the race looks plain, especially compared to the amazing Py'rai that have been shown so far. I'd really like it if the magical nature of the race was underscored a lot more based on their connection to the essence. Right now they are basically hotter humans with pointy ears and a funny hat. Giving the race glowing eyes WHEN CASTING SPELLS, or lorewise also during periods of anger or other extreme emotions would be great.

Magical tattoo's that glow WHILE CASTING but are normal tattoos while idle would also make them stand out significantly from regular humans. Plus it would allow rpers to pick a tattoo that has meaning for their character. Maybe its a reference to a magical school, element, or a House or a deity you worship.

Rather than the crowns the race currently has, wouldn't magical halos or a glowing rune be an amazing addition to set them apart from all the other races? Especially as the race seems to have a large connection to the Essence? Naturally character creation should include the option of hiding them or not having them at all, changing their color to match your characters aesthetic or only have the halo's visible during combat/casting like Aasimar from DnD. (Who get a spelllike effect that can turn the Halo on and off). The Draenei in WoW are incredibly distinct, (not just because they have hooves , tentacles and blue) because of the rune glowing in front of their forehead. Giving the empyreans a magical halo would do the same.

Glowing magical tattoo's, Magical halo's or runes. Both lighting up during casting and being dormant when idle. Hair decorations (gold / jewels / ribbons).

5w93xca9y01d.png
    nzp10ki9sa0z.png
    c4emsuchek3g.jpg
    6gqowbhdff6c.jpg
  • I think overall with the fox-like triangle face and straight features this race looks to be a solid classic fantasy high elf variant.

But the weakest point in my opinion are the eyes. Clearly the look is inspired by Thranduil from the movies and the thing most selling him as an otherworldly elf were the almost uncanny bright glassy contacts. I think making the irises bigger and brighter or making the pupil comparatively smaller would add some needed spark to otherwise cartoony fortnite style eyes.
    ks7247y7u8g1.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I was thinking Legolas, but... that's probably same difference.
    LOL
  • Anduin KayvaanAnduin Kayvaan Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Eyes:
    I would like to see glowing eyes, not like flashlights but make them more magical looking as they are a very magically inclined race.

Crowns:
    I do enjoy the crowns but I am curious if you considered having them be magical crowns of light instead of actually metal. Give them the ability to glow and the lore behind them is they could be a Empyrean family bloodline or they manifest over life to represent the type of person they are.

Glowing runes:
    The option to have glowing runes would be wonderful on the skin that is unique to the Empyrean.

Ears:
    I would like the option to give them stubby pointed ears all the way up to massive ones
    Bring on the huge amount of diverse looks!

Making them unique:
    While I love the concept I do believe they need something more to make them more unique to Ashes of Creation and not just LOTR elves.
    ckja7ry05gj4.png
    Gray Sentinels Guild Recruitment https://tinyurl.com/Gray-Sentinels
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'll also add that the 'Glowing Eyes' thing is such an obvious 'requirement' to me that without checking that thread, I don't even remember whether I was arguing for just the Luminescent Hair and assuming the Glowing Eyes to go with, or 'settling for' the Glowing eyes.

What I'm saying it, there should be more glowing.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• WestergardWestergard Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Full body magical tattoos! Imagine them glowing gold while casting a healing spell!

8835abhonc69.png
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I hope they are naturally tall.

I won't play one but a tall elf just seems proper. Makes the 'looking down my nose on you' gaze spot on.
  • The current art direction for Empyrean looks good, especially for the female. I think High elf style is great, but I do think it can be even more appealing by making some tweaks for the male Empyrean. I think the female is harder to do wrong, but definitely make sure there are some soft faces, not all as intense.

For the male, I dislike the inconsistency of the direction of the race with the lore. Should not the male Empyrean be far more masculine and rugged? They are elite military forces. Because Greco-Roman men were tough, battle-tested, trained beyond their limits, even Elrond in Lord of the Rings when at war, was rugged. And I do think the jaw line could be more pronounced, the skin a little more warbattered than the female (despite being a fine high elf), and more muscle.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Empyrean race? Definitely muscle mass that fits with greek/roman gods, and less feminine options. Not to have any jewelry on neck or head, and scars.

ELrondBLA-scaled.jpg

ancient-roman-centurion-andrea-mazzocchetti.jpg

8F98EA05-81FE-4A6F-B0CC-45597F32391E_4_5005_c.jpeg
    I was born in the Pyrian royal family of Eradal.

https://Twitch.tv/Eradal
    https://Twitter.com/Eradal_

OC9k.gif

• HawkwoodHawkwood Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    I'm sure most of my issues will be solved with the character creator. But I was excited for the Empyrean. A Greco-Roman military oriented elven race? Sold. But... these are just elves. Everything about them seems delicate. Like a prince being sent to lead real Empyrean soldiers.
  • Hawkwood wrote: »
    I'm sure most of my issues will be solved with the character creator. But I was excited for the Empyrean. A Greco-Roman military oriented elven race? Sold. But... these are just elves. Everything about them seems delicate. Like a prince being sent to lead real Empyrean soldiers.
    Eradal wrote: »
    For the male, I dislike the inconsistency of the direction of the race with the lore. Should not the male Empyrean be far more masculine and rugged? They are elite military forces. Because Greco-Roman men were tough, battle-tested, trained beyond their limits, even Elrond in Lord of the Rings when at war, was rugged. And I do think the jaw line could be more pronounced, the skin a little more warbattered than the female (despite being a fine high elf), and more muscle.

I think there is merit behind these sentiments. Even if there is just the options behind the character creation if this is supposed to be a conquorer race they could do with a more battle hardened and muscled look. Counterpoint that only goes so far in the busts firstly, but more importantly war when fought with magic might not always lend itself to the more muscled and calloused. I think of Alucard in Castlevania vs Any Belmont and you can get a good idea on being a warrior without needing to be be rugged and scarred.

As far as the multiple other people suggesting a plethora of magical options for tattoos and glowing eyes and floating halos, yes yes and yes. I think it would be amazing to show how this race leaned more into a magical cleanliness than the Py'Rai with their natural gruffness. A kind of magic took them in 2 separate directions. Something akin to Atlanteans from the animated film is great inspiration. Perhaps their eyes/tattoos only glow when they're casting spells?

Last note is for the Py'Rai since I missed that discussion: a customization for allowing them more animalistic/nature incorporated features would be amazing. The antlers provide to the silhouette so those are staying which is fine, but let us lean into it and have a more fawn esque mouth/nose/snout maybe we can go so far as choosing to have hooves and be a Satyr. Or give a bark esque texture to our skin having a "wooden" arm or something similar. Or lizardskin options. Just more character customization that wouldn't drastically change the silhouette but make them feel even more shaped with nature.
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
    Professional Skeptic, Entertainer, and Animal Enthusiast
  • The_Gaming_ButlerThe_Gaming_Butler Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Love it.
    Ashes of Creation News can be found on The Gaming Butler News Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP31ixSBO7GHKLBefWVcJaA
  • Hazel2eyesHazel2eyes Member
    edited January 2023
    I think they look cool. I'm interested to see more concept art of them so we can know how the race can be customised.

Personally I'd like to see deep blue, purple or ash black skin tones. I love how darker elf's can look so it would be awesome to have darker skin tones as an option.

Id also like to edit the length of the ears and I've seen people ask for glowing eyes and tattoos and I think that would be a cool feature to have, Something akin to the glow effect for the Sylvari in GW2 maybe?
  • DizzDizz Member
    I like how the Empyrean looks like, I mean facial parts I can feel the pride.

But like others said I don’t think should end or limited at accessories like the tiara, if Py’rai represent nature so naturally we will think that Empyrean represent the opposite side of Py’rai then to me I’ll think about magics, aura, runes, spells, luxury, art, technology etc so I ‘d like to see the hair ring or hair pin made or masquerade with gold, or maybe they develop magic technology like high end fancy technology opposite to Dünir develop solid fundamental stuff so they put spell or rune in their skin to enhance their power opposite to Dünir train physical strength to wear heavy armor.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Hazel2eyes wrote: »

Personally I'd like the option to have deep blue, purple or ash black skin tones. Dark elf's have always been my jam so it would be awesome to have darker skin tones as an option.

Wouldn't that be an entirely new race, though? Typically Dark Elves in most MMO's are they're own race with a different look, lore, and architecture.
  • IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited August 2022
    They are beautiful! Love the direction of the art style soooo much and so happy to hear the models will look like their concept art. <3

These might be sliders and options, but in case they are not:
    The eyebrows not matching the hair color does bother me a bit. I think they could look great with long off the face bushy eyebrows, paler shades (and maybe a bit iridescent?) skin and hair colors. Also, even longer ears! I want mine to be more elf, less human.

Lastly, I’ll say it again, hair length sliders never go long enough.
  • They remind me heavily of the High Elves from EverQuest. Not a bad thing, but I feel like from what's given in the dev post lacks a certain amount of personal identity to Ashes of Creation. It's just very, the same as other MMO variants of what I like to call "Pretentious Elves".
  • Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Hawkwood wrote: »

I would agree with this ^^

Not feeling a "Elite military force", but a "highly structured government" sure I can see that they look like nobles/lords/royals

The jewelry/crown I don't think that should be forced rather make it an option it be odd and weird if it were force upon in character creation.

The cheekbone's I cant stop looking at them it completely distracts me and not in a oo-aah way. I would rather have the cheeks be more fuller I guess?? and not so much as a V narrow face type.
    (img down below would give a better example)

I'm not saying rip out this concept art I don't see why a player wouldn't be able to make their character look like this, but add more option then a "high elf" vibe that everyone seems to be referring this to.

pretty much everything everyone else is saying Glowing eyes, Long Ear's slider, Long eyebrow slider, glowing tattoos, but more importantly A HEIGHT SLIDER I wanna be able to make a elf a human height or slightly lower then human type ( nothing to crazy we're not smurfs here )

pWynrxB.png

Cheer's Keep up the great work Intrepid :smile:
    1. Really liked other people suggestions to have their optional tattoos glowing
    2. They must be tall (shorter than orcs, but noticably taller than humans)
    3. Allow them to have pale/white skin in character creation
  • Love the concept. Not much else to say other than they look how I picture elves to look. Wonderful work! :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • XefjordXefjord Member
    edited August 2022
    One thing I think some people are not considering enough, is that Py'Rai and Empyrean Elves have a common ancestor, yet the Py'Rai have horns. I think so many people are seeing the Empyrean headpieces as "crowns" and advocating their removal when it actually makes more since as a variant of horns that evolved from the common ancestor with the Py'Rai. And when thinking of it like that, I hope they keep those unique crown like horns for racial consistency with Py'Rai and to better distinguish them from Humans. I do want to see them look more attached, but overall I like everything else.