Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Castle Siege timers

KDecisionzKDecisionz Member
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
Steven said in the newest Development update 7/29/22 That Sieges will occur once a month and If there is a way for this to be a biweekly thing or some way to allow players to select the best time for its citizens for a war that be great.
New World gave us the option to set timers so that as many people can be on and or maybe take off to be able to make it to the siege itself. I found on the NAW server most guild would set there timer to anywhere between 5pm-10 pm. That's a LARGE amount of time for the devs to set for us id prefer the players on each server be allowed to choose there time for there node.

What do you guys think

Comments

• HalaeHalae Member
    edited July 2022
    Okay, so, my understanding of sieges is this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please
    1. Castles will have a siege every 30 days, regardless of whether someone was victorious or even showed up at the last siege. This makes buildup for castle-holders incredibly important, as is appropriate for an extreme prestige guild pvp thing
    2. Nodes can be sieged on any day, but it's subject to two restrictions - the first is that it has to occur at primetime for the local server (meaning if you're on a North American server it should happen during the evening for most North American places), and the second is that after a siege there's a cooldown period before anybody is allowed to attack that node again, assuming it survived and wasn't reduced to wilderness again.

This means that you should always be able to plan for and expect when a siege is going to happen. In fact, the time for it to happen is liable to be posted in an important place in the node/castle in question, so you can always be ready for it. I don't know New World's systems, but it feels like this is a pretty solid setup for handling the flow of siege events.
  • Halae wrote: »
    Okay, so, my understanding of sieges is this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please
    1. Castles will have a siege every 30 days, regardless of whether someone was victorious or even showed up at the last siege. This makes buildup for castle-holders incredibly important, as is appropriate for an extreme prestige guild pvp thing

There shouldn't be a war if no one attacks it that would LITTERALLY be wasting players time the 250 people who are planning to defend get there and see wide open fields of beauty and ask who they are fighting they just spent time getting everything that goes into prepping for a war for no one to show.

• HalaeHalae Member
    And that kind of situation almost certainly won't happen, because castles are both an EXTREME prestige thing (and therefor every guild of a certain size would want one if they could get one) and the practical reward for claiming a castle (Guild leader on a flying mount and drawing in taxes from a fifth of the entire server) mean that there's virtually always going to be contenders for your throne. You can't just expect that there'll be nobody around unless you're on such an obscenely dead server that your guild is the only game in town.
  • You need to do the work to dec the place its not automatic, so yes people will be there.
  • KDecisionz wrote: »
    Halae wrote: »

There shouldn't be a war if no one attacks it that would LITTERALLY be wasting players time the 250 people who are planning to defend get there and see wide open fields of beauty and ask who they are fighting they just spent time getting everything that goes into prepping for a war for no one to show.

That's part of the job of keeping the castle. Maybe someone will turn up, maybe they won't. You have to do the prep anyway.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    The Castle is open to Siege once per month.
    The owners have to do the prep anyway.
    But, if no one is attacking the Castle Caravans in the weeks leading up to the Siege, it's a decent hint that not many attackers are planning to participate in the Siege. Their defenses will be strong. They can be fairly certain they'll be able to keep the Castle for another month - as well as the Castle perks.
    That's a win-win.
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    KDecisionz wrote: »
    Steven said in the newest Development update 7/29/22 That Sieges will occur once a month and If there is a way for this to be a biweekly thing or some way to allow players to select the best time for its citizens for a war that be great.
    New World gave us the option to set timers so that as many people can be on and or maybe take off to be able to make it to the siege itself. I found on the NAW server most guild would set there timer to anywhere between 5pm-10 pm. That's a LARGE amount of time for the devs to set for us id prefer the players on each server be allowed to choose there time for there node.

What do you guys think

About the "choosing time" to seige...

I imagine its going to aline with the server prime time. Severs will have prime times, a set time for each server for the large events to happen. So someone cant seige your castle at 2am when no one is available, or anything like that. Imagine all seiges will fall under the servers prime time.
  • All Sieges on a server should be at the same time.

The ability to set siege times by the defender is a horrible idea imo, as it provides a huge advantage to the defender and their Allies.

Also, a defender setting the time when they may be attacked is highly unrealistic. If anyone, the attacker should be able to set the time
  • Dygz wrote: »
    The Castle is open to Siege once per month.
    The owners have to do the prep anyway.
    But, if no one is attacking the Castle Caravans in the weeks leading up to the Siege, it's a decent hint that not many attackers are planning to participate in the Siege. Their defenses will be strong. They can be fairly certain they'll be able to keep the Castle for another month - as well as the Castle perks.
    That's a win-win.

Unless.... it's a DOUBLE-BLUFF!!!!! Mwahahahahahaaaa!!!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • KDecisionz wrote: »

I agree with this, but if it happens that there can be sieges without attackers there should be hints, like no attacker camp upgrades, no foes working around the castle to prepare for their attack ect... sieges shouldn't just be "click to attack" and needs preparation for the best chances to win, for example siege equipment, respawns, multiple camps for more attackers,..
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Attacker camp?
    Attackers are just guilds who choose to try to take control of the Castle.
    Other than paying attention to which guilds are attacking your Castle Caravans in the weeks leading up to the Siege, there's no way to monitor every guild that is prepping to attack a Castle and no way to be sure which ones that are prepping will attack your Castle instead of a different Castle.
  • The only good idea is this:

Owners and mayors should be able to a time window when sieges can happen, a 5 hour window is good.

Those who have participated in multiple sieges after midnight, such as myself, can attest to the importance of having a structured time frame.

Staying up multiple nights for sieges can be a nuisance and create conflicts with family and work schedules. Only those who have experienced this can fully appreciate the need for a scheduled time window.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Seiges only happen in prime time.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »
    Seiges only happen in prime time.

Do you even understand what prime time is?
    I don't think you do.

An entire guild or node could be from people in timezones around Russia/Asia, they should be able to fight in the time that is best for them.
    There will be regional servers...
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    There will be regional servers...

It's not important!!!

Are you this thick?
    That's how thick you are?!

There's many countries with multiple timezones and you have no idea about when people will be playing. Also, countries timezones aren't overlapped

Just stop it, @Neurath, just stop it
    edited March 2023
    The prime time will be stated and well known. Some people might not be able to attend prime time activities if they are on a foreign server but those people will understand the issues.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited March 2023
    Maybe the node could have it's the timer set to prime time only.

But anything guild related should be manually set.
    I'm not sure why you always want to skew the favour for the few against the many. Node wars and guild wars are already 24/7. Objectives are prime time only.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited March 2023
    Neurath wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you always want to skew the favour for the few against the many. Node wars and guild wars are already 24/7. Objectives are prime time only.

Why are you lying?
    What are you trying to accomplish by lying?
    Skewed Systems for the Few currently stated:
    Mercenaries/Warscore.
    Guild windows at random times.
    Ninja Looting Caravans.
    Corruption system changes.

There are probably more but I often skip large walls of text.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Skewed Systems for the Few currently stated:
    Mercenaries/Warscore.
    Guild windows at random times.
    Ninja Looting Caravans.
    Corruption system changes.

There are probably more but I often skip large walls of text.

Stop lying about others, specially lying about me, keep to yourself your interpretations about others or about what they want to achieve.

If you got no clue, just shut up.
    I haven't opened my mouth. Anyway, going around the same loops with you wastes my time. :)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif