Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Player Feedback Request] Updated Ren’Kai Concept Art Shown During July Livestream

Comments

• I'm hoping that the Ren'kai are still set to be large and beefy because this art makes it seem like they got turned into green humans.
  • Nerror wrote: »
    Especially the female needs some brutification instead of Rosycheeks McBabyface here :wink:

Awwwww, nuts. There's another character name I need to use, now...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • They're so damn pretty, i can't wait to play one
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Corpier wrote: »
    I think it looks a little too cartoony. I liked the old Ren'kai slightly more. The new model reminds me of WoW orcs. If the Vek are scrawny goblins, it would be cool to have the option to have the opposite side of significantly larger and more muscular models in the Ren'kai. I do like the more prevalent Eastern Asian influence that is represented in the new Ren'kai though.

Yes! Exactly this. I don't want to play World Of Orc-craft, I'm here to play Ashes Of Creation. The previous Ren'Kai Orc was unique not just to the other Ashes races, but to orc races in general. It was fab. The huge muscled beefcake was exactly what they needed to be. This new version just feels like you're trying to cater to the WoW crowd, and made me think more of Shrek and Fiona than anything else.

Warcraft orcs are huge, massively muscled brutes, wdym? The new version is nothing like WoW orcs, aside from being green. I main an orc hunter lol
    I think it looks a little too cartoony. I liked the old Ren'kai slightly more. The new model reminds me of WoW orcs. If the Vek are scrawny goblins, it would be cool to have the option to have the opposite side of significantly larger and more muscular models in the Ren'kai. I do like the more prevalent Eastern Asian influence that is represented in the new Ren'kai though.

Yes! Exactly this. I don't want to play World Of Orc-craft, I'm here to play Ashes Of Creation. The previous Ren'Kai Orc was unique not just to the other Ashes races, but to orc races in general. It was fab. The huge muscled beefcake was exactly what they needed to be. This new version just feels like you're trying to cater to the WoW crowd, and made me think more of Shrek and Fiona than anything else.

Warcraft orcs are huge, massively muscled brutes, wdym? The new version is nothing like WoW orcs, aside from being green. I main an orc hunter lol

It's a green cartoony orc stereotype. Got WoW written all over it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I like how it leans harder into the Chinese influence and less like a meat blob.

Concerned about how the male looks stern and stoic and the female looks, well, not. It's okay to take influence from the interesting cultures of the world, but it's best to avoid the stereotypes. At least for the models shown to the public, I want to recommend less gender dimorphism.

Super excited to see how this race looks in the character creator.
  • I don't plan on playing any Orcs but I do want to say this version of the Ren'Kai looks really cool and I like it much better than the previous. I also think it fits in with the other races quite well and the larger body you had made previously definitely fits those Male Tulnar far better. Good job!
    daveywavey wrote: »

No it really doesnt but if you're drawing that conclusion based solely on their shown skin pigment, there's nothing i can do for you my guy
  • Can someone with better photo editing skills than me put the old ears with the new model (preferably not the super green one)? I am genuinely curious if that is my only problem with them or if I do want them bulkier.
    dbijjcb82bfn.png
    Professional Skeptic, Entertainer, and Animal Enthusiast
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022

7ehn2acv7qv7.jpg

Sometimes I can't tell if people are trolling, people saying the Ren'Kai are cartoony did everyone forget about the old concept art for other races? How is this one any different... they will look as good as the py'rai and vek ingame, chill.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • The_Gaming_ButlerThe_Gaming_Butler Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't play Orc classes, so I don't feel that my comment should carry much weight. That said, I do appreciate the artistry and design direction.

I defer to the Orc Players though. They will have more passion on this subject.
    Ashes of Creation News can be found on The Gaming Butler News Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP31ixSBO7GHKLBefWVcJaA
  • The new facial direction is right on point for the race and their background. It looks like the simian is getting the old body model, so make them similar for the Ren'kai. Less brutish on the top end, say 20%. But Ren'kai can be taller than the Tulnar. I think that's the best way to keep the east asian and orcish nature.
  • DizzDizz Member
    I don’t really like the art direction in this concept art.

I feel that you want to add another more Asian flavor in Ren’Kai to be more diverse, but the problem is the characteristics you used in this art are already have been over used and heavily cartoonized in the entertainment industry so you can’t do the Asian version Ren’Kai right with these characteristics in my opinion.

If you really want to do is an Asian face Ren’Kai, or more specific Japanese Korean Chinese face, here are some advice:

To me in this concept art you should at least consider to change both male and female eyes shape, I don’t know what it called in English phoenix eye maybe? We called it “Feng Yan”=“鳳眼” in Chinese which just a personal preference of beauty and can’t stand for an average looking of a human race and I personally think that in western people misunderstand heavily what Feng Yan is and misled by media and entertainment industry.

Second, both male and female the lower half facial bone shape and facial muscles, especially the female she look nice but the whole face looks too Disney.

Third, female’s hair style, the fancy X shape decoration should be replaced by a simple wood or bamboo stick or change the necklace into a hair ring to tie the hair so it solve the problem why the female has hair pin the male doesn’t.

Last, the skin color is too bright or say it’s too shiny, feel it reflects the light too much.

I will recommend you do research with Japanese Instagram or fashion magazines both for male and female, to me Chinese and Korean fashion are too unique and limited, Japanese is better as reference especially female fashion.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In response to @Dizz post I'd really like to see a more Mongolian look to them unless Intrepid really is more interested in the Japanese cultural influence.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• DizzDizz Member
    edited August 2022
    T Elf wrote: »
    In response to @Dizz post I'd really like to see a more Mongolian look to them unless Intrepid really is more interested in the Japanese cultural influence.

I don't really know how Mongolian looks at least I don't know how they look like now. In my knowledge how Mongolian's face don't fit well as Asian Ren'kai the eyes will smaller and body will be more muscular then what we see in concept art which is very similar to the Mongolian in Ghost of Tsushima if it what's you'd like to see, I'm no problem with that but they seem to want to create a more lean body shape, still looking forward what will come out to us next stream.

• I love the new direction, as a huge fan of Asian culture I was mildly dismayed by the lack of Asian style options racially, and I am glad to see that kind of representation. I also found the old meat blob orcs to be kind of ugly, but the more Humanoid Tulnar look like they will fit the Meat Blob bill incredibly well.

Some people may complain that Orcs, Elves, Humans, etc are all starting to look a little too similar, but it makes sense to me as they became a more refined later race that combined the attributes of various gods compared to the more diverse Tulnar, and I like the Tulnar having the diversity for big and brutish types of characters. I really like the more unique identity here.
  • I'm absolutely loving the eastern influence and slender builds, though I'm sure that in the Alpha 2 and beyond versions we will see a full range of skin colors and tones as well as muscle and body fat modifiers. Great work devs! I'm loving the designs!
  • This is more along the lines of how I imagined the Ren'Kai to appear before the early concepts were revealed a few months ago.

I absolutely love these new versions of Ren'Kai! You are definitely on the right track and I look forward to seeing their completed models within the character creator. Awesome work! :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dizz wrote: »

I don't really know how Mongolian looks at least I don't know how they look like now. In my knowledge how Mongolian's face don't fit well as Asian Ren'kai the eyes will smaller and body will be more muscular then what we see in concept art which is very similar to the Mongolian in Ghost of Tsushima if it what's you'd like to see, I'm no problem with that but they seem to want to create a more lean body shape, still looking forward what will come out to us next stream.

As an example I'm going to post a music video of a Mongolian group that I think fits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• DizzDizz Member
    edited August 2022
    Dizz wrote: »

As an example I'm going to post a music video of a Mongolian group that I think fits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

Yeah, that's the Mongolian face I know in history books and some documentary film, I'll happy to see these face in Ren'kai customization.

Maybe Ottoman or Turkish? Plus consider their armor/weapon style are cool as Mongolian's armor/weapon, I do traditional archery I like the style of Turkish and Ottoman bow.(I don't really know about the history culture or religion of Ottoman or Turkish just like the look and armor/weapon style may fit Ren'kai.)

• I love the new design. Having them be heavily inspired by a real world culture makes them so much more unique to ashes then the generic orcs we have seen 100 times before.

I like green, brown, red skin orcs. I like the asian hairstyles - The armour and weapons are going to look so cool.

It's also a great way for people who like east asian stuff to find it in-game in a lore friendly way.

This is getting me excited to see how cool the orc boats and cities will look!

In GW1 I really enjoyed Cantha and Elona because they showed fantasy in settings different to the generic European style that we're used too (obviously i'm a big fan of that too!).

(I hope people who want to play as big bulky orcs and others who want to be more slim can still achieve that. However I understand the average orc is going to be WAY bigger than a human).
  • I think the main downside imo is that the face is too cartoony and smooth, the old concept art had more facial features thst made it more expressive and intimidating(frownlines, rugged high definition skin tone etc..).

But other than that I'd say it's fine, you just need to add in more facial features that make their expression darker
  • Liniker wrote: »

7ehn2acv7qv7.jpg

Sometimes I can't tell if people are trolling, people saying the Ren'Kai are cartoony did everyone forget about the old concept art for other races? How is this one any different... they will look as good as the py'rai and vek ingame, chill.

Not a good argument because that's the old concept art of the Py'rai, the new accepted one is more realistic so compare the Ren'kai design to that
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    234Graph wrote: »
    Liniker wrote: »

7ehn2acv7qv7.jpg

Not a good argument because that's the old concept art of the Py'rai, the new accepted one is more realistic so compare the Ren'kai design to that

I'm sorry my friend but you just proved my point here that people saying it's too cartoony don't fully understand what is a concept art.

The ONLY Py'rai concept art we saw is the one I showed in that picture, after that what they showed was the 3D Render based on that exact concept art - which Obviously looks more realistic since it's more detailed in 3D, same for the Vek -and it will be the same for the Ren'Kai, hopefully @Vaknar takes notice of this when compiling feedback from people saying it looks "cartoony".
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Liniker wrote: »
    234Graph wrote: »
    Liniker wrote: »

7ehn2acv7qv7.jpg

I'm sorry my friend but you just proved my point here that people saying it's too cartoony don't fully understand what is a concept art.

The ONLY Py'rai concept art we saw is the one I showed in that picture, after that what they showed was the 3D Render based on that exact concept art - which Obviously looks more realistic since it's more detailed in 3D, same for the Vek -and it will be the same for the Ren'Kai, hopefully @Vaknar takes notice of this when compiling feedback from people saying it looks "cartoony".

This. I'm sure Intrepid Studios understands that the people saying the races look "cartoony" just don't know the difference between concept art and 3D models. The updated races look amazing and can't wait to see their full 3D rendered versions.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited October 2022
    I'm not very familiar with Orcs but I understand that it is trying to give personality to the Orc image so I think you have to understand that the Asian culture has a lot of potential, especially the samurai and Japanese culture.

There is one thing that worries me , Orcs I think are almost a regristred brand of WOW and the image of WOW orcs is literally engraved in the minds of MMOSRPG players , so, how to show an orc model that does not look like the WOW orc but is attractive and charismatic?

I think the answer is to give him a lot of spice, a lot of seasoning, that his image evokes something different that has its own personality and charisma, that would be a different Orc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ
    The factions of the WOW Orcs or the typical orcs are well known by many, so I think the factions more Asian, more Japanese, Mongolian etc would be more interesting, fun, and different for a different Orc, an orc with discipline, which follows the path of the samurai warrior another kind of pride, that I think would be an Orc of which orc lovers would be proud and would not compare it with the orcs of WOW.

i0EX5rH.jpg
    KBwmXlr.jpg
    gFqdWrz.png
    PpxTSZm.png
    C4PlccV.jpg
    KpMhSx7.png
    WYeO3MO.jpg
    uhVzk5C.jpg
    q675nJO.jpg
    gx3gesc82gmf.png
    atotnly3ge1w.png
    hwv065twcey6.png
    EDym4eg.png
  • One point of inspiration I would like to recommend, is that if Ren'kai are supposed to be kind of swampy Asian orcs, we do have a real culturally east asian reference culture we can pull from for swamps in East Asia: Vietnam!

They have a sword style that is very similar to Japan, they also have a traditional culture of blackening their teeth, some armor, architecture, and everyday clothes can all be used as adjacent references as well. Here is my own little photo dump, but you can see more examples here: https://vietphuc.tumblr.com/

zofky41l2akc.jpg
    k3e0qwxsjqsr.jpg
    x86bxofvmy94.jpg
    2dc7c3ledr5y.jpg
    rz60oex5fr0k.jpg
    5t0w5ylueutr.jpg
  • Additionally a really useful hat for very humid weather from Vietnam:

rwup2n4v2k0m.jpg
    oftjgtdvviw1.jpg
  • Definitely prefer the new version!!
  • From the comments it seems that a lot of people may be forgetting about the power/versatility of the character creator..