Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Monsters Villages/Tribes

Hi there,
I´m being following the development of this game, and i think it would be cool if monsters with superior intelligence (eg goblins) can form a small village or tribe.

And like the ECO game, if they died, they would have to reproduce and grow in order to have more population.

Of course also these monsters could be spawned in random events around the world, without being involved in the part I spoke about.

These villages could raid nodes or even fight each other.

Furthermore as players making certain interactions with them we could encourage them to attack villages. For example we go to this tribe and kill indiscriminately and some survive, they could re-form the tribe and take revenge on the race that attacked them.

Or with other types of interactions, example save them from aggressive monsters, could give friendship points and maybe we can enter that village and have monsters quest, recruit mercenaries, make trades item to item.

Comments

• Yep i fully endorse any kind of ECO system and realistic race/cultures within the game.
    I realize that it can fully work with this "scaling" system but personally i don't like scaling.If i see a Goblin race i like to know they are such and such level of difficulty for various reasons.

What happens if you have say a level 10 and a level 20,does that mean they can't play together and if scaling is on then players outside of combat cannot help or interact at all because mobs are scaled to the player who engaged?

You see the problem here is that if Goblins are level 50 and your level 75 you could easily wipe out the entire clan and basically ruin the game for everyone else.If you scale the goblins then the game is solo locked,basically each player is in their own instance within the game world and that just ruins immersion completely.

I wish there was an easy answer but so far it looks like full on scaling and to me that ruins immersion.I personally was there the first time scaling was done ,inside of EQ2 "Splitpaw Saga".Initial response was cool,then it became very apparent that it ruined the game and SOE never used it again.BTW that expansion was probably the least successful of all EQ2's expansions and i believe it had to do with scaling.It also removes CHOICE,players are locked into that level no matter what.
  • The game would have such a bigger sense of realism in it! I like your idea, in which the game would reach new heights! I am not sure whether I would or would not agree though. The world is easy to raid and conquer, so even if goblins spawn and make a village, it wouldn't take that long to see it get destroyed by other players. :/ I like the idea though.
  • I hate to copy an already existing idea but I love the Log Horizon story and anime so much that it serves as a great place for good MMO ideas.

Maybe you have a situation where, like us players, a truly massive group of goblins finds the world/digs their way out of a cave system/are magically teleported by some further evil force. So while they are only level 50 there are hundreds and hundreds of them, and even a ten man raid of level 70 characters would struggle.

Lower level players could scout and find the raiding/scavenging parties that the goblins would have to send out and could whittle away at it while the larger guilds put aside differences to take on the main force.

Just some thoughts.
  • zaksame, i was talking totally on scale of the monsters lvl, but scale in population.

Rimirg thats why i think they they could put a system to balance if like giving more appealing long term benefits for a good relacion with them, and lower short term benefits for killing them all.

Mister_L this idea also came from log horizon, and some light novel that i´m reading (ark, legendary moonlight sculptor), i don't really now if any other mmo used the corruption system that i saw they are going to use, but for exemple the light novel that i talk have some that corruption system, a very harsh one, in ark in one of the ocasions a group did a very bad thing and they where sentece for 3 real time mounths in prison, but they escaped from the prison.
  • I think this is a great idea and said something very similar a while back on these forums...

<a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/npc-monster-nodes/">NPC / Monster Nodes</a>

I think this helps make MMO's feel more alive and immersive and leaves players with a sense of wonder in what the game will offer when they next log back in. This is a quality that I think has been overlooked with a lot of copy and paste MMO's recently but a topic for another thread altogether.

The idea to interact with NPC and Monsters in ways outside of combat does seem analogous to having some form of a faction system. I remember them saying they wouldn't have any player factions (seen as to restrictive which I agree with) but I think having NPC factions makes sense and especially in this context.

If they could incorporate this level of interaction (say group AI when large groups of monsters spawn in close proximity that supersedes individual AI?) then you could see some very unique and memorable experiences played out from time to time.
  • Hmm, interesting idea..

I'm not sure if I need an entire village / tribe for foes/enemies that will eventually end up dead?
    There are several questions which come to my mind..

- How long will it take for them to reproduce?
    - How does it work?
    ° will they just spawn?
    ° will they go through several stages of development?
    ° where will they 'appear'?
    - How much intelligence will they posses?

The idea sounds great but it's also somewhat exploitable, is it not? I can see several issues / bugs against that idea.

<strong>But</strong>

I want foes to not wait for the adventurer to kill them but follow natural patterns.
    For instance:
    Running away when several adventurers come their way, hide, attack in groups, flee in groups etc.
    That I would love seeing.
    ---
    But yet again, an eco-system is always much appreciated. I think your idea is very intriguing..but..will it work?
    This of course goes without saying that some animals should have their natural habitats.
    Wolves - forrests, scorpions - desserted regions, yada yada.

~ Zention
  • Zention
    (First sorry for any mistakes in english)

How long will it take for them to reproduce?
    That will need balance for exemple lower lvl monsters will reproduce faster that higher. The time i don't really know we don't know how long a season takes to pass, but i think that the reproduce system will be interligated with the season.

How does it work?
    (did this after the rest, read the last question for some answers, just an exemple)

Will they just spawn?
    I think it will be by a random event when the "Jesus" goblin (xD), or a outsading military golbin, or a group of goblin that have a higher sense of magic intelligence, appears, then they will start a group conforme there first characteristics.

Will they go through several stages of development?
    Maybe like if they reach 50 population, they can start to appear a higher type of goblin or a special elite individual goblin will be born that will chance.

where will they ‘appear’?
    Like you say "This of course goes without saying that some animals should have their natural habitats.
    Wolves – forrests, scorpions – desserted regions, yada yada." goblin for example are more forest based monsters.

How much intelligence will they posses?
    There intelligence will very specie to specie, like for example the goblin aren't the most intelligence specie out there, so they are limited to the size of the population they can maintain without any internal fight, resource management. So the intelligence will be interligated with the stages they can evolve.

But for example a specie that i never saw in a mmo before if a colonial type (example Zerg from Starcraft). In sometime ago i think about a cool specie for a game like this, when i was reading some game light novels.

They will be like ant specie that live in underground, controled by a hive mind, the queen. And a event that could occure is there colonies are destroied by a unknow danger, and for there survival they get out of the underground and start attacking villages to get a new place to live. We could fight them and destroy them, but after we need to fight that unknow danger, or we can join forces and help them to fight that danger, and create the guild or guild's could have an alliance with them. Having a new trading spot, new space to mine without any danger of monsters, etc
  • @Lunion4saken

Ah, thanks for clyrifying.

[quote quote=3688]

[...]
    But for example a specie that i never saw in a mmo before if a colonial type (example Zerg from Starcraft). In sometime ago i think about a cool specie for a game like this, when i was reading some game light novels.

They will be like ant specie that live in underground, controled by a hive mind, the queen. And a event that could occure is there colonies are destroied by a unknow danger, and for there survival they get out of the underground and start attacking villages to get a new place to live. We could fight them and destroy them, but after we need to fight that unknow danger, or we can join forces and help them to fight that danger, and create the guild or guild’s could have an alliance with them. Having a new trading spot, new space to mine without any danger of monsters, etc
    [/quote]

I like this idea!
  • I am absolutely in love with any idea of the AI being able to live on its own and have it's own kind of population. I dropped money in support for Landmark just for the promise of the AI in EQ Next (which has since been cancelled).

The complexity of this games systems would complement a robust AI very well, instead of the typical pathing NPC's. I know Unreal has quite a bit of stuff regarding AI creation, but nothing quite as complex as monster ecosystems.