Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Multiple characters per server?

Will you be able to have multiple characters per server? if so how many character slots will there be per server?

Comments

• We always recommend new forum-goers buff up on the Wiki, @Chickenlipzz.

Take a look when you have some downtime:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alts
  • Who knows.

But I'd like to assume at least eight – would be weird to not let players try out all Archetypes without erasing a character.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    All they said when asked was a comfortable amount.
    The community thinks 8 so you could have one of each archetype. But so far not an exact number.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • @Taleof2Cities thanks for the wiki link, I'll grab a look at it as soon as I can. Seeing as how classes/archetypes are specific I would hope multiples are available. Other games that allow you to respec into different roles based on skills (not classes) like New World limit one per server which IMO blows but it is what it is. Thank for the input folks!
  • Hi-jacking this a little; Is selling extra character slots pay-to-win or just good business?
  • Caww wrote: »
    Hi-jacking this a little; Is selling extra character slots pay-to-win or just good business?

hmmm. interesting question. If the game doesn't need the revenue to continue to support ongoing production costs, I say its just bad business. Plenty of ways to monetize a game and limiting the ability to play multiple classes/archetypes in a game you pay to play monthly just pisses me off. I don't consider it pay to win I just think its pointlessly limiting and feels very "cash grabby" to me.
    Hi-jacking this a little; Is selling extra character slots pay-to-win or just good business?

No, an extra character slot is not pay-to-win. High level gear, or end-game currencies for sale in the store would be. Having one more character that another player wont gain you any in-game advantage.

hmmm. interesting question. If the game doesn't need the revenue to continue to support ongoing production costs, I say its just bad business. Plenty of ways to monetize a game and limiting the ability to play multiple classes/archetypes in a game you pay to play monthly just pisses me off. I don't consider it pay to win I just think its pointlessly limiting and feels very "cash grabby" to me.

i agree. It's one of those, where the developers makes the game worse, but you can just go to the cashshop....!
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Bullvinne wrote: »
    Caww wrote: »

No, an extra character slot is not pay-to-win. High level gear, or end-game currencies for sale in the store would be. Having one more character that another player wont gain you any in-game advantage.

Do we count 'having another character that can be safe on your Freehold who has a different Artisan skill than your main character' as an advantage?

This is how I'm used to this commonly being used.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

Depends on how much advantage an alt character can provide to a main character, compared to someone without said alt.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Gotta be at leastttt 8. One per each class. Anything short and imma be a little annoyed. I plan to max out one of each class and if I have to split my characters onto different server Imma be pissed.