Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Should there be a cap on personal gold!

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I think New World placed a cap on the maximum amount of gold someone could have.

I am all for no cap!

Should there be a cap or not?

Comments

• WarthWarth Member
    edited September 2022
    No

There is no benefit for them.
    Fix your economy/progression if you need rich players to start spending gold
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gold has been consistently the only safe wealth and progression storage since inception. You can lose exp, lose gathered and processed materials, lose housing, lose your freehold and have to find a new spot and pay the resource cost to repair the structures when the layout is mailed to you. That gold has no carry weight and can't be dropped or looted from players is the one way that people will have confidence that they won't lose their stuff do to inactivity over time or other issues. That economic nodes are an open bidding process for mayor as to who has the most gold, siege declarations require gold and materials from a single individual in huge amounts to craft the siege declaration scroll (most likely will be a group effort concentrated to one individual in many cases) similar to what it took to level the node, and other factors like buying and selling legendary crafting materials from raids and world bosses, a cap would quickly be hit and people would need increases. New World put a cap because they had rampant exploiting and duping going on. So no, no cap.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Stormborn_LuciferStormborn_Lucifer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Gold cap? Never. That would take the fun out of being a pirate or a bandit.

“Sorry guys no mugging today, we hit the gold cap. Maybe we can have a few drinks at the pub instead.”
  • If there is no ability to server transfer then I say no. Moving toons from server to server always affects the economy of that server so if it can't be moved and you worked to earn that gold, why cap it? Based on the last live stream I saw you can be a citizen in only one city at a time and market fluctuation for many economic components will vary. That may help to keep the server economy more stable in the game since supply and demand ( as it alway does) will play a huge roll in player house, trade etc. So my "vote" is no, no cap.
  • Definitely no cap.
  • l18pxim9n6ki.png
  • I disagree with those saying that there's no benefit to gold caps, but that being said, there's also quite a bit to consider in terms of implementing gold caps. For one, if there were a gold cap, how high would it be? For instance, even an old game like DAoC has a gold cap, but it's incredibly high, whereas NW's gold cap is high enough that most players never have to worry but low enough that the sweatiest of try-hards are terribly unhappy with it.
  • edited September 2022
    So if you decide to save up and not spend it crazy you should be punished? Make it make sense...

I never played an MMO where i use up more than one character slot. So all my money is spent on 1 character and 1 character only. Which is why I always end up with a ridic amount of money just sitting there until i need it. Why should players be punished for saving?
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2022
    Whilst I do not like caps, they do serve a purpose. It is not to punish a player, but hazard a guess more over to
    • limit extremes of wealth and
    • control wealth transfer and thereby
    • keep players` wealth and market with reasonable / manageable range
    • reducing the overall currency available in a game also keeps the currency value in check.
    • if there are not enough gold sinks, then capping how much gold can be accumulated is another unfortunate way to keep in check
    • (obtaining endless gold akin to governments over printing money and devaluing the currency value)
  • ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nah, no gold cap. If someone is able to earn that much gold they should be able to keep/accumulate it. I'm always poor af in games so I'll never have that issue. XD
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Absolutelyyyyyyyy not. Punish people for their accomplishments? No thanks.
  • Gold has been consistently the only safe wealth and progression storage since inception. You can lose exp, lose gathered and processed materials, lose housing, lose your freehold and have to find a new spot and pay the resource cost to repair the structures when the layout is mailed to you. That gold has no carry weight and can't be dropped or looted from players is the one way that people will have confidence that they won't lose their stuff do to inactivity over time or other issues. That economic nodes are an open bidding process for mayor as to who has the most gold, siege declarations require gold and materials from a single individual in huge amounts to craft the siege declaration scroll (most likely will be a group effort concentrated to one individual in many cases) similar to what it took to level the node, and other factors like buying and selling legendary crafting materials from raids and world bosses, a cap would quickly be hit and people would need increases. New World put a cap because they had rampant exploiting and duping going on. So no, no cap.

MVP once again.

sherlock-benedict-cumberbatch.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I'm simple unable to find any reasonable motive to cap gold in AoC.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Yes, gatherers should have a cap to 1 gold.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Caps are really bad, they're usually either bad design or bad solutions to problems.

I also hope that the main currency is only gold (no need for copper/silver) and that there's no decimal values, in other words I hope that gold's type is an unsigned 64-bit long, simple does it.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Games known to have a gold cap
    • Lineage 2
    • World of Warcraft
    • Elder Scrolls Online
    • Guildwars
    • New World
  • SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    Why have Gold?

Why have safe econ?
    Why have vendors? lol
    Trade system works fine; game is going for expendible loot and resources anyway. Iron/ Useful Metal discs could be sold, Nodes could buy and sell, I don't think money is even necessary. Armor and Weapons and Widgets could be smelted down; value is already there and relatively easy to trade.

Liquid economy has no significant use. It would detract if anything. It's liquid enough. Why create arbitrary vendors? Why create arbitrary gold sinks?

Caravans would be more and more useless with the invention of gold sinks and use of gold lmao
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    edited September 2022
    akabear wrote: »
    Games known to have a gold cap
    • Lineage 2
    • World of Warcraft
    • Elder Scrolls Online
    • Guildwars
    • New World
    Dunno about ESO and NW, but I'd bet that the other 3 had limits because of coding limitations. Well, at least L2 had the 2.147kkk limit because iirc that's the 32-bit code limit.

This thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,147,483,647
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    limits because of coding limitations.

Waited to see if anyone would point it ^^'

15-20 years ago, there was purely technical limit : on how many byte dedicated for the money.
    All time you see a 256 or similar non exact max value, and not a X00000 or 99999 it is for this and only this.
    And... was the case for wow. I think all "old" mmorpg (prior to 2010) had this problem.
    I am sure this is still the case... but with 64 or 128 bit or more, 256 (because, datastorage is far less expensive than before) those money numbers technically maximum are so high that... no one can hope reach it (except some people who want to :p )

To come back to wow, in vanilla, the 1K for the 100% mount was already a huge amount of money, really huge.
    In BC, the 5k for the speed flying was still a high amount (but this was more affordable for many people than the 1k from vanilla). the gold limit (i forgot) was so high that nearly no one reached it. (Not sure if BC or WOTLK for the first one reaching the limit)
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No caps on gold please. Solid and extensive tracking of gold and item movement between players to stop cheaters has to be enough. If Intrepid can't handle cheaters in the game, it's dead anyway, and a cap serves no purpose.
  • I say if the growth of personal wealth is what drives some players, why impede on it? I don't think a limit is necessary, unless it's related to a power of 2.
  • well, theres technically a gold cap but it will probably be so high that no one will reach it in a reasonable amount of time