Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Variable movement speeds for players?

Hi all, I was reading through the WIKI and did not see an answer to this. Does anyone know if they have said that all players will have the same basic speed or will stats/abilities effect the normal running speed of players?

Comments

• As far as we know all players will have the same basic speed. There may be a sprint button.
    We imagine some buffs may make you move faster.

Other than that: no info
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • And then there are mounts...
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • StreviStrevi Member
    edited September 2022
    Percimes wrote: »
    And then there are mounts...
    Like snails
    https://youtu.be/23GSdvV1dB0?t=736
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • CalvoCalvo Member
    edited September 2022
    If you use a heavy armor, you should not walk faster than someone using only a tunic. Maybe dwarves (and other smaller races) should walk slowly too. People will walk on the same speed?
  • I believe all walk speed is the same. There's clips from Alpha 1 that show a "wind streams" effect when moving quickly(I'll assume sprinting), but no mention of stamina or what not
    jlyhubmxm6w1.png

Founder and Guild Leader of -Providence-
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    LordPax wrote: »
    I believe all walk speed is the same. There's clips from Alpha 1 that show a "wind streams" effect when moving quickly(I'll assume sprinting), but no mention of stamina or what not

Yeah, that wind effect was sprinting (which had a stamina limit). I never noticed myself running at a different speed than any of my friends.
  • If you have different move speeds, theres gonna be some balance issues. Move speed is such an important part of multiplayer games that any advantage one way or another would probably make people quit the game.

Trying to run away or catch up to someone, rushing to get a first hit on a mob, first to loot a party killed mob. lots of reasons to balance move speed.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Absolutely should be some difference between speed with
    • classes - definately
    • race - maybe
    • encumbrance - light, med, heavy gear & gathering
  • I've played so many MMOs that just straight up ignore your choice of race, in both narrative and gameplay. So I actually like the idea of different races having slightly different base movement speeds. It would have to be a relatively minor difference, but I think it'd still give a lot of character.
  • Eh, this is dangerous territory here. Im all for spells and abilities that briefly augment speed but changing player speeds based off armor (while realistic) sucks a lot of fun out of certain classes. Generally speaking, People already dont like playing tanks. Making them even slower will not help cause.
  • Agility = Faster. Encumberance = Slower. Strength = less effect from Encumberance.
    Sounds good. Let Rogues and such out-maneuver.
  • I personally like the idea of encumbrance and stats affecting move speed. If I spec my character toward speed/agility I should be able to move slightly faster than someone who concentrates their stats on strength/stamina. Also, if I am wearing full plate and carrying 8 suits of armor in my inventory, I should not move as fast as an equally speced character in no armor with no items in inventory.

I understand that this could mean some characters would not be able to catch some others. This would require players to make smart use of gap closers such as charge, grappling hook, teleport, or some other movement impairing effects.
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2022
    Apart from moving slower because of how much weight you're carrying in your inventory, I'm not a fan of different movement speed depending on gear and especially on race. Movement speed buff skills for classes are fine.

I also dislike the idea of a sprint button available for every class which will probably have some stamina related to, it's usually something more annoying than fun (subjective) but I don't really think it makes the game better.

I hope they go with the simplistic route to begin with (no sprint button and every gear/class/race has the same base ms) and if needed they can add new things along with testing, which I then hope testing shows it's not necessary to add them. It just makes balancing harder and I don't think balancing will be easy in Ashes.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • I know I'm probably crazy, but it always seems like my female toons can't keep up with the guys. Devs programed me to be a slow poke! So, speaking from the end of the line, I think all characters should start off equal. If they want to add a method for a boost, spec or gear by small amount only, that is okay with me.
  • Eyrate wrote: »
    I know I'm probably crazy, but it always seems like my female toons can't keep up with the guys. Devs programed me to be a slow poke! So, speaking from the end of the line, I think all characters should start off equal. If they want to add a method for a boost, spec or gear by small amount only, that is okay with me.

What? Like in what game?
  • SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    Apart from moving slower because of how much weight you're carrying in your inventory, I'm not a fan of different movement speed depending on gear and especially on race. Movement speed buff skills for classes are fine.

I also dislike the idea of a sprint button available for every class which will probably have some stamina related to, it's usually something more annoying than fun (subjective) but I don't really think it makes the game better.

I hope they go with the simplistic route to begin with (no sprint button and every gear/class/race has the same base ms) and if needed they can add new things along with testing, which I then hope testing shows it's not necessary to add them. It just makes balancing harder and I don't think balancing will be easy in Ashes.

It makes creating a game easier since there's actual differences playing one class over another. It's more fun for most people to play something that is actually different.

Might as well say Overwatch should never work because it's such a mismatched patchwork (lol). The balance went to shit when they started adding singular overpowered characters (for the 'hype'???) but otherwise it was good, and extremely successful. I tried Genshin or whomever and it was fun.

Clinging to balancing fears is how a game doesn't even get made lol. It's like being afraid to go outside.

By making the Tank the same speed as the Rogue you're just Taking from the Rogue and have to nerf the shit out of Tank so they're not overpowered (instead of just making Tank with his 999 lb plate and 10 tons of gatherables SLOW). And you have to give the Rogue something else like a teleport (LOL), instead of just changing movespeed which has nuance built-in and makes perfect sense.

If you take from one place you can give elsewhere. Balance is polish, not game design. Balance is ez af. There are devs that just don't give a shit, hence broken imbalanced games exist.
  • McShave wrote: »
    If you have different move speeds, theres gonna be some balance issues. Move speed is such an important part of multiplayer games that any advantage one way or another would probably make people quit the game.

Trying to run away or catch up to someone, rushing to get a first hit on a mob, first to loot a party killed mob. lots of reasons to balance move speed.

Agree, but I'd also say that it's not impossible to balance. Part of the difficulty, IMO, comes from melees tending to wear heavier armor, which is also the natural factor to use to determine movement speed, but they're also the ones who have more need to move fast to catch up. A very simple solution is gap closers that have cooldowns. For example, a 10 second speed boost or a leap.
  • I would better give gatherers higher movement speed than protecting their inventory (as the developers seem to want in the pinned thread).
    At least, even if they are fast, you might still have the chance to land a snare on them.
    But they should not be able to run with legendary items and mats. That would be unfair.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    Strevi wrote: »
    I would better give gatherers higher movement speed than protecting their inventory (as the developers seem to want in the pinned thread).
    At least, even if they are fast, you might still have the chance to land a snare on them.
    But they should not be able to run with legendary items and mats. That would be unfair.

Wait, how much stuff do I need in my inventory to count as "Gatherer" when I'm ganking folks? Or is it just profession level?
  • SongRune wrote: »
    I would better give gatherers higher movement speed than protecting their inventory (as the developers seem to want in the pinned thread).

Wait, how much stuff do I need in my inventory to count as "Gatherer" when I'm ganking folks? Or is it just profession level?

You have to prove you are a true gatherer by clicking 19899999 times on resource nodes. :smile:
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    SongRune wrote: »

You have to prove you are a true gatherer by clicking 19899999 times on resource nodes. :smile:

More seriously then, what actually activates this, in your mind?

At least two people in my 'ganking group' will actually be high level gatherers. What prevents them from getting the bonus movement speed?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Azherae wrote: »

At least two people in my 'ganking group' will actually be high level gatherers. What prevents them from getting the bonus movement speed?

Why should the game prevent that? They deserve it. They should also un-equip their high tier gear to be able to run faster. That would also make them more vulnerable.
    Having players who run fast and tackle other players is a fun mechanic in my opinion.
    That should be possible mounted too with special mounts provided by animal husbandry artisans and with food buffs.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azherae wrote: »

Why should the game prevent that? They deserve it. They should also un-equip their high tier gear to be able to run faster. That would also make them more vulnerable.
    Having players who run fast and tackle other players is a fun mechanic in my opinion.
    That should be possible mounted too with special mounts provided by animal husbandry artisans and with food buffs.

Ok, was just verifying.

I don't think that adding movement speed to Gatherers is a thing I would like, balance wise, but I just wanted to clear up that you perceived that as 'across all'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    McShave wrote: »
    If you have different move speeds, theres gonna be some balance issues. Move speed is such an important part of multiplayer games that any advantage one way or another would probably make people quit the game.

Agreed. Moving faster based on anything other than class abilities never works out well. It would sabotage shorter classes like Dwarves.
  • I think that all races should have the same starting speed, the dwarf just moves his legs a little faster to make up for their reduced length.

The player could possibly affect this basic speed during character creation via stat point allocation.

The players basic speed could then be additionally augmented via spells, items, or anything else the devs decide.

The players speed could then be reduced by encumbrance, spells, or other things.

This type of system would allow for some players to spec their characters for speed at the cost of possibly strength/damage resistance/health/encumbrance.
  • Diamaht wrote: »
    McShave wrote: »

Agreed. Moving faster based on anything other than class abilities never works out well. It would sabotage shorter classes like Dwarves.

Why do you think they hide in Mountains, and create masterwork armor and weapons?

The Dwarves must organize.
  • @Mattchoo

With different races the players are still allowed to spec their characters for speed; by choosing a different race. Some stat allocation sounds alright to me but I'd expect that to be tied to class.
  • Same speed for every class and race (short time skills and buffs are ok).
    Everything else would end in minmaxing. In PvP running speed is the best stat ever.
  • SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    Nodes are always under 2 minutes away and CC exists. And mounts exist.
    You mean world PvP but anyone with less movespeed can simply group up.

The random teleportation in the Melee showcase is hell of a lot more impactful than movespeed lol
  • Nodes are always under 2 minutes away and CC exists. And mounts exist.
    You mean world PvP but anyone with less movespeed can simply group up.

The random teleportation in the Melee showcase is hell of a lot more impactful than movespeed lol

You sounds like someone never played actually a pvpmmo.