Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

FATALITY! Special effects when the player is killed by a certain class

Hi, I have an idea for you!
I played a game and had 'fatalities' when the player killed the other, an effect appeared according to their class. It would be nice if you could put this in the game.

This would be a really nice feature to unlock at max level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY-NezqS0dI

Comments

• Imo this would just add hundreds of unneeded complex animations during mass pvp.
  • They actually have our characters turn into ashes curently. Looks pretty good as well. Every death fatalities would be too much, but adding in very rare fatality style deaths is fine. Would have to be rare so that way its not visually annoying.
  • SolmyrSolmyr Member
    edited September 2022
    I like the general idea, anything that gets two characters physically interacting during/after combat is good, but I'm not sold on the 'themed deathtrap' thing. Just a quick finishing move before they turn to ash would be enough for me.
  • NiKr wrote: »
    Imo this would just add hundreds of unneeded complex animations during mass pvp.

There are configuration options for this. Where only players who wanted to make them active would use...
    😂😂😂
  • Hashtarr wrote: »
    There are configuration options for this. Where only players who wanted to make them active would use.
    Yes, and most people will already run low options because mass pvp will be a huge mess of animations otherwise. So any additional animation that has no functional reasoning behind its existence would pretty much be a waste of dev time.
  • Imagine killing a low level gatherer with a legendary damage war hammer or mace... they can keep their resources.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We had this in age of Conan and it was a pain in the ass. Imagine fighting someone and triggering your best move only for that person to become untouchable due to a fatality animation. It fucks the flow of combat.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • I quite like the 'turning to ash' thing, to be honest. Looks cool, and is subtly understated, yet effective.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited September 2022
    A little unknown game called Fury had assasinations where they had a skil that can be used at certain HP thresholds to finish somone off 15% and 30%, 30% hp one cost more resources to use and took longer animation where you could be hit while performing compared to 15% swift executions.

I would love to find a video of them but since it was a 2007-2008 game it videos were kinda non exsistant or super low quality like the trailer here in 240p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XJOeGuH4Y&ab_channel=Bunnyspatial

Can see some of the execution move in there in the pixilated nightmare of quality but the game imo was far ahead of it time but a pvp arena game only lasts so long before it get to repetative for people.

Rather miss this game though tbh for the time it was probaly the faster action pvp although the trailer doesnt give it justice since alot of them were just standing still showing combat swings or the occasional execution :P
  • You see it a couple of times, then you skip the animation or ignore it.
  • Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited September 2022
    This has some potential for an additional risk/reward mechanic, rather than just unnessary extra work. The animation could take way longer but you could have the choice to trigger it upon getting the kill, and the reward could be some kind of regen like health/mana/stamina for your character.
    Hashtarr wrote: »
    There are configuration options for this. Where only players who wanted to make them active would use.
    Yes, and most people will already run low options because mass pvp will be a huge mess of animations otherwise. So any additional animation that has no functional reasoning behind its existence would pretty much be a waste of dev time.

The focus of the game will not be 24 hours of massive PVP. It is standard for any player to disable various settings before entering massive PVP. But for most of the game time, when we're not in massive PVP, the game will need to have great immersion and beautiful graphics and that would add up a lot. I played allods online and it had this kind of "fatality" effect, generally speaking, when it came out, about 95% of players loved it.
  • Neurath wrote: »
    We had this in age of Conan and it was a pain in the ass. Imagine fighting someone and triggering your best move only for that person to become untouchable due to a fatality animation. It fucks the flow of combat.

Ah, it depends on how it is deployed, right friend. The effect will only affect the player who was killed without interfering with the assassin... This effect is not like in "mortal kombat" It will only create a death effect on the player who died, nothing else...
  • Veeshan wrote: »
    A little unknown game called Fury had assasinations where they had a skil that can be used at certain HP thresholds to finish somone off 15% and 30%, 30% hp one cost more resources to use and took longer animation where you could be hit while performing compared to 15% swift executions.

I would love to find a video of them but since it was a 2007-2008 game it videos were kinda non exsistant or super low quality like the trailer here in 240p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XJOeGuH4Y&ab_channel=Bunnyspatial

Can see some of the execution move in there in the pixilated nightmare of quality but the game imo was far ahead of it time but a pvp arena game only lasts so long before it get to repetative for people.

Rather miss this game though tbh for the time it was probaly the faster action pvp although the trailer doesnt give it justice since alot of them were just standing still showing combat swings or the occasional execution :P

The only thing I'm trying to say that would be cool is the death effect. Nothing more, people and HP won't affect anything, it's JUST A DEATH EFFECT!
  • None of the comments understood what I meant by this effect.
    What I'm proposing is just a death effect, it won't affect mechanics, it won't affect pvp, it won't affect anything. It will just be a death effect that will be created on top of the player who is already dead. It won't change anything for the player who killed him.

It's kind of obvious that in massive pvp this would be extremely uncomfortable, but on an open map, in a 1v1 or 3v3. It would be extremely fun and cool. With that in mind, I also propose the option to enable and disable this animation in the game's graphic settings.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    None of the comments understood what I meant by this effect.
    What I'm proposing is just a death effect, it won't affect mechanics, it won't affect pvp, it won't affect anything. It will just be a death effect that will be created on top of the player who is already dead. It won't change anything for the player who killed him.

It's kind of obvious that in massive pvp this would be extremely uncomfortable, but on an open map, in a 1v1 or 3v3. It would be extremely fun and cool. With that in mind, I also propose the option to enable and disable this animation in the game's graphic settings.

Would the animations be good if the winner wasn't involved in them, though? (also wouldn't it be by weapon or Skill?)

If I 'finish you off' with Castigation, the Cleric Whip attack, and you get like... strangled to death by it with your head burning to ash first before your body crumples forward, the whip still has to 'look like it's being held by me', right?

This animation would almost certainly have to be longer than just the usual 'hit with whip and opponent dies'. Is only the dying player getting to see this cool animation? Can I, the Cleric, move while this is going on, or be hit, or even be killed and then pulled into a special death animation by someone else?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

NiKr wrote: »
    Imo this would just add hundreds of unneeded complex animations during mass pvp.

There are configuration options for this. Where only players who wanted to make them active would use...
    😂😂😂

Tired of hearing this for ever thing where people just say make it so you can toggle off and on. Sounds like a waste of development time toa dd a bunch of things you toggle on and off and people are just like money grows on trees.

I want a game not a bunch of random small features that aren't going to impact the experience.
    The game's content will be mostly party-based (well, at least the content where you might die at the hand of another player). Party-based content means, at the very least, 8v8 pvp. If Intrepid allows us to resurrect our partymates during pvp, then it'll be way more than just <16 deaths. If we then take into the account that these kinds of fights will most likely happen during mob farming (cause most other pvp encounters will have more people), no one will be looking at a cool death effect because you'll be dodging mob attacks while also trying to kill other player enemies.

The only situation where this kind of feature would shine the brightest is PK kills. And if the victim sees the animation too, then I'd see this kind of feature as an encouragement to PK others, because I could definitely see how people would feel empowered by using a class with a cool fatality to dunk on newbs just to see that animation above their heads.

Oh, also, if Intrepid does allow us to rez during pvp, how would that interact with the animation? I'd assume the animation will be longer than 1 second and healers will definitely rez their mates asap, which will probably be faster than the animation ends. So you're not only creating a visual mess with those animations, you might also obfuscate that newly rezzed target for its enemies.
  • Azherae wrote: »

Would the animations be good if the winner wasn't involved in them, though? (also wouldn't it be by weapon or Skill?)

If I 'finish you off' with Castigation, the Cleric Whip attack, and you get like... strangled to death by it with your head burning to ash first before your body crumples forward, the whip still has to 'look like it's being held by me', right?

This animation would almost certainly have to be longer than just the usual 'hit with whip and opponent dies'. Is only the dying player getting to see this cool animation? Can I, the Cleric, move while this is going on, or be hit, or even be killed and then pulled into a special death animation by someone else?

I will repeat for the fifth time!

It would just be a death animation, it wouldn't influence the other players at all...

You clearly don't understand what I mean. Leave it there...
  • Mag7spy wrote: »

😂😂😂

Tired of hearing this for ever thing where people just say make it so you can toggle off and on. Sounds like a waste of development time toa dd a bunch of things you toggle on and off and people are just like money grows on trees.

I want a game not a bunch of random small features that aren't going to impact the experience.

Você tem todo o direito de ter essa opinião. Mas nem todo mundo pensa como você...
    The game's content will be mostly party-based (well, at least the content where you might die at the hand of another player). Party-based content means, at the very least, 8v8 pvp. If Intrepid allows us to resurrect our partymates during pvp, then it'll be way more than just <16 deaths. If we then take into the account that these kinds of fights will most likely happen during mob farming (cause most other pvp encounters will have more people), no one will be looking at a cool death effect because you'll be dodging mob attacks while also trying to kill other player enemies.

The only situation where this kind of feature would shine the brightest is PK kills. And if the victim sees the animation too, then I'd see this kind of feature as an encouragement to PK others, because I could definitely see how people would feel empowered by using a class with a cool fatality to dunk on newbs just to see that animation above their heads.

Oh, also, if Intrepid does allow us to rez during pvp, how would that interact with the animation? I'd assume the animation will be longer than 1 second and healers will definitely rez their mates asap, which will probably be faster than the animation ends. So you're not only creating a visual mess with those animations, you might also obfuscate that newly rezzed target for its enemies.

Quite the opposite. When I played the game that had this type of animation, about 95% of the players liked it a lot, in fact I don't remember bad comments about it. But no problem, I'm just trying to give a good opinion to make the game better. It won't change my life, I'm sure if most people don't like the game it will flop and general will go to ArcheAge2 including me. Hug!

I hope the devs have more intelligence than the comments on this post.

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azherae wrote: »

It would just be a death animation, it wouldn't influence the other players at all...

It is because I don't understand what you mean, that I'm asking.

Is it a death animation where the player who CAUSED the death isn't involved anymore? If so, why would it be related to the player's CLASS, is my question.

I'm familiar with this term 'Fatality' from games where it's fairly involved, so I thought you were using it in that sense. I didn't think you meant 'The Fighter does a shoulder tackle on you, but your head rolls away as if you were decapitated'. I'm still not sure that you mean that. That's why I gave the example, so you could clarify if I was thinking about it wrong, but you didn't clarify HOW I am thinking about it wrong.

Please clarify.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I still prefer the ash animation death effects rather than varied death animations. Because what's been described is varied death animations and not fatalities - fatalities link two player toons together, where as, your suggestion just changes the death animations from what I can tell.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Mag7spy wrote: »

😂😂😂

Você tem todo o direito de ter essa opinião. Mas nem todo mundo pensa como você...

Your idea is not good, ill chalk it up to that.
  • Reminds me of the sync kills in dawn of war
  • Azherae wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »

It is because I don't understand what you mean, that I'm asking.

Is it a death animation where the player who CAUSED the death isn't involved anymore? If so, why would it be related to the player's CLASS, is my question.

I'm familiar with this term 'Fatality' from games where it's fairly involved, so I thought you were using it in that sense. I didn't think you meant 'The Fighter does a shoulder tackle on you, but your head rolls away as if you were decapitated'. I'm still not sure that you mean that. That's why I gave the example, so you could clarify if I was thinking about it wrong, but you didn't clarify HOW I am thinking about it wrong.

Please clarify.

The death effect will be based on the class that last hit the dying player. Just an animation of him going to purgatory dedicated to such a class. Nothing more than a simple animation...
  • HashtarrHashtarr Member
    edited September 2022
    Neurath wrote: »
    I still prefer the ash animation death effects rather than varied death animations. Because what's been described is varied death animations and not fatalities - fatalities link two player toons together, where as, your suggestion just changes the death animations from what I can tell.

Exactly you were apparently the only one who understood this...
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »

😂😂😂

Your idea is not good, ill chalk it up to that.

This has nothing to do with what I said. You're another one who didn't understand the concept of what I mean.
  • HashtarrHashtarr Member
    edited September 2022
    Nobody understood my suggestion. That's why I don't participate in forums. hug!
  • I hope the game ends well for everyone's joy, if it's not just another flop. And because of the delay to launch I'm already starting to suspect that it's going to be shit...