Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

CLASS affect CHARACTER LOOK

2»

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Taleof2Cities

If you work out in real life and everything including your face changes, are you going to complain because you love to be miserable for your warped Ego's sake, and would have to confront the reality that you are mentally and were physically flawed if you appreciate the change?

Or just appreciate the changes?

Priorities. Maturity.
    How in hell does this make any sense in the context of a wizard having a big head?

More to the point, why is it that an unarmed fighter gets bigger hands, but a wizard can't perform basic exercises to achieve the same result?
  • SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    @Noaani
    Who said they can't?
    As you probably know I support soft-locking and On Use XP for Attributes and Skills with Class [and Race] affecting soft-lock.

There's still room for customization between level 50s of the same race and class though. A preview of your character at level 50 [typical progression] with a range to mess with sounds good to me.
    edited September 2022
    @Noaani
    Who said they can't?
    As you probably know I support soft-locking and On Use XP for Attributes and Skills with Class [and Race] affecting soft-lock.

There's still room for customization between level 50s of the same race and class though. A preview of your character at level 50 [typical progression] with a range to mess with sounds good to me.

OK, so, this customization doesn't need to be class based.

If we go back to my earlier post where I mentioned Muggsy Bouges, it also shouldn't be a case of automatically gaining a specific attribute based on your class or how you are using your character (a tank doesn't need to be big and bulky, just as an NBA player like Muggsy can be 5'3" and still play for 14 seasons).

We are also saying there is customization within the system.

So, what we basically have now is a few sliders in the character creator that can be accessed later on in the game.

I fully support that - as I am sure most people would.
  • Beginning and End of the game. Given the same attributes there can be variability.

Class can determine what is time-efficient to progress in in terms of Attribute and various Skills, but I don't think the game would have strong direction with every ability accessible to everyone.

Soft lock can be extreme as well, ramping up the more off-meta it is.

5'3 and basically advantageous leverages makes nimbleness a lot easier.
    If he had to wear a 20 lb weight vest at all times and use a 1.5 lb basketball he'd probably gain a lot of muscle within the year.
    I assume the 200 lbs of stuff people carry and whatever weapon they swing around counts as physically demanding to strength, endurance, constitution, as well as agility given the mobility that combat demands. . . all the travelling, jumping around people like to do. . . so on and so forth.
    Beginning and End of the game. Given the same attributes there can be variability.
    There can be, but there doesn't have to be.

As a tank, I could wear leather armor in order to be more mobile (in terms of gameplay advantage), and have all my heavy gear loaded on to a mule.

As a mage, I could wear heavy armor in order to help protect me against physical damage.

In this situation, the mage would gain the muscle, the tank would not.

That is why this straight up doesn't work as being a class based thing - if the goal is to add some sort of realism.
    edited September 2022
    It works just fine.

If we keep with the normal XP on Kill and gain attributes based on Class and Level. . . then the original system I propose still works and there can still be somewhat muscular mages; but Fighters and Tanks would be pretty hulking at level 50 or otherwise incredibly 'ripped' with good stature.

People have to focus on something to improve at it. It's suspension of disbelief or a deep realistic system. There can be moderations, customizations, and game balancing either way.
    People have to focus on something to improve at it.

Yes, they do. However, a fighter isn't focusing on bulking out to become "ripped" or "hulking". They are as focused on technique.

I mean, an average MMA fighter could be considered a "fighter" in Ashes, but so too could a sumo wrestler.

And literally none of this has anything to do with wizards getting big heads.
    edited September 2022
    Big heads from intracranial pressure and brain building. Not sure what aligns best with that but it should go somewhere.

Not a big deal; changes can be more nuanced and otherwise case-by-case wherever it makes sense.

Chess grandmasters in a tournament tend to have similar blood pressure to those during physical exercise. They also tend to have big heads.

So it makes sense that the more brain. . . the more brain. and intracranial pressure from exertion for a bigger head as well so gotta give Fighter and Tank larger heads appropriate to their body size. Of course jaw changes and facial reconstruction occurs as a result too. . .

Reality be what it is.
    Big heads from intracranial pressure and brain building. Not sure what aligns best with that but it should go somewhere.

Not a big deal; changes can be more nuanced and otherwise case-by-case wherever it makes sense.

Chess grandmasters in a tournament tend to have similar blood pressure to those during physical exercise. They also tend to have big heads.

So it makes sense that the more brain. . . the more brain. and intracranial pressure from exertion for a bigger head as well so gotta give Fighter and Tank larger heads appropriate to their body size. Of course jaw changes and facial reconstruction occurs as a result too. . .

Reality be what it is.

Are you making generalizations about macrocephaly?
    Noaani
    no
    Sure seems like you are.

If you do some basic reading on macrocephaly, you'll see that people with larger heads are more susceptible to having neurological deficits.

I mean, it's not like peoples heads expand as they learn more.

Your whole premise here can basically be reduced to "I have a world view that is incorrect but I am standing by it, and I wish to force it on to everyone else, what each of you want can be damned".

So no.
  • @Noaani
    Why are you talking about macrocephaly
    edited September 2022
    Why are you talking about macrocephaly
    You made the generalization that smart people have bigger heads. You rambled something about chess grandmasters.

Macrocephaly is the condition where a person has a larger than average head (97th percentile, iirc). I bought it up to point out to you that a larger head is not at all a sign of higher intelligence.

Basically just trying to point out to you that the generalizations you seem to espouse are fundamentally incorrect.

I know it's a futile effort - trying to convince you that you are wrong about something, but I'm still kind of hoping you'll ignore me as you have proclaimed.
    edited September 2022
    Who made a generalization? Do you know what a generalization is?
    Who made a generalization?

You did, I said that above.
  • You said it but it isn't true. Are you trying to waste my time?