Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Next Livestream + Q&A Submission - Friday, September 30, 2022 at 11AM Pacific

Comments

• Are there any plans to increase NPC/Player server-side view distance in comparison to other MMOs on the market? The "pop in" from a low or even average server-side view distance can be rather immersion breaking depending on the environment and on big open fields it's rather distracting.
  • NullhypoNullhypo Member
    edited September 2022
    Given that the map size has increased significantly, will travel methods such as ferries and other means of public transport between nodes also be expanded to accommodate the new scale?
  • GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Will killing another player's mule, mount, or battle pet give me corruption if they haven't fought back?
    bRVL6TR.png

• KreinsterKreinster Member
    edited September 2022
    Is there a possibility that players would be able to create their own custom quests, akin to Star Wars Galaxies' Chronicler feature?
  • Can we attack from mounts? For example, using a bow while riding a mount.
  • Will ressources be unique enough between the two main continents to incite/force intercontinental trade? Or will naval content mostly exist as a way for players to enjoy a different style of gameplay, with little impact on the market and economic/crafting necessity?
  • Context
    So I've been playing WOTLK and been enjoying it a lot. Something that upset me though is how the leveling process is structured to only allow leveling efficiently through quests/mob grinds. The world first was given to someone that abused an exploit to grind down respawning mobs for ludicrous amounts of xp. He was getting levels at a rate of a level an hour. I on the other hand was doing quests, dungeons, and professions to level and only got 1 level within 4 hours of gameplay.
    Question
    Will the leveling process be funneled into one avenue for max efficiency. For example if quests become the best way to level, dungeons, pvp, and professions will be ignored as invalid. As late game items will be vastly superior to early game items gotten from dungeons, pvp, and professions. This narrows the games scope and enjoyment for me while leveling because I see people with end game equipment that are far better off because they grinded through the META and it's disheartening to think that that way of gameplay is "better" because they are stronger, faster, and look cooler than I do with my dungeon gear, crafts, and pvp junk that will be invalidate in 5 levels.
  • How will the premium monthly payment system work and how much? there are some games like Tibia or Albion Online where you can pay monthly premium with in-game money you have earned, it would be nice if they implement this method in Ashes of Creation as well.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited September 2022
    Hello again glorious Ashes of Creation community! Thank you to everyone who stopped by and shared a question with us for this month’s stream.

Q&A submissions are now closed, and we’ll see you at 11AM Pacific on Friday for our live stream!

twitch.tv/ashesofcreation
    community_management.gif
  • How will rivers play a role in trading and the caravan system?
  • what can we expect from the on-boarding process of a new player , as we know in most cases you have roughly 2 hours to capture and hold a new players attention , with a well written tutorial (if you havnt i suggest watching the vids josh strife hayes puts out) or is it going to be more like hardcore pvp games by, basically saying here's the game figure it out ,your on your own.
  • How much uniqueness will crafters be able to apply to items, will be possible to build a crafting reputation by offering a differentiated product?
  • NeurotoxinNeurotoxin Member, Alpha One
    Can players that are not on boats (swimming, mounted on a swimming creature, flying, gliding) be able to access the auto-flag area of the open waters without being auto-flagged?

[For clarity--and you don't have to read this part--I am specifically asking about what occurs when a player that is not on a ship or part of a ship crew enters the auto-flag area while remaining ship-free. Will they auto-flag just the same way, or will they be immune to auto-flagging because they don't have a vessel, and aren't potentially hauling a shipment or heading out to battle the Kraken?]
  • Quest Creation
    I have a discussion about this in the forums if you want to know more.
    The Question
    Could a system be implemented to allow the community to create custom quests? Using map points, unlocked creatures, unlocked items, and player donated rewards to allow for a community building and community driven challenge system.
  • HappyPappyHappyPappy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Is there going to be a way to train/preform Animal Husbandry outside of Freeholds such as at Static in node housing and apartments?
  • Could we get more information on how the quality of a crafting station will effect the crafting.
  • It has already been said that we will probably have access to the character creator a few days before the game goes live. That's a great idea and no doubt people like me can't wait to spend a ridiculous amount of hours creating the perfect character(s). That said making an awesome character gets wasted when you jump into the game not knowing what to expect form your class or spec and you eventually find out you don't like it and decide to reroll after a few days.

Here's the question: With the character creator would it be possible to get a small arena with some target dummies and high level abilities for each class so we can set up the UI, play with key binds and just see if the class is what we are looking for and feels fun.
  • Will there be broader PVE augments gained through the Bounty Hunter system, or will the augments gained from engaging with the system be focused purely on preforming bounty hunting activities. Can you expand a bit more on the rewards gained from progressing as a Bounty Hunter.

Is there any ulterior reason/goal be it gear/title/cosmetic/skills that will encourage players to flag as a bounty hunter beyond the desire to punish reds for being murder goblins. If there are layers of progression within ,will these be based around spending x number of hours flagged as a BH or will it be based around successfully killing x number of corrupted players. Or perhaps a combination of the two.
    2edh26ackfsa.png
    The Wolves of Verra
    are recruiting: https://discord.gg/Rt8G3sNYac
  • StreviStrevi Member
    edited September 2022
    OnyStyle wrote: »
    Many MMOS die or are ruined because huge bugs are discovered that ruin an economy after open beta is finished. If such a bug is discovered, what would Intrepids approach be to resolve these bugs and ensure the quality of the game? Would Intrepid be willing to put the servers back into open beta and reset the servers after the issues are fixed? Would you be willing to rollback the servers?
    @OnyStyle I see somebody asked recently and got an answer
    https://youtu.be/4sUTuUAgavE?t=4404
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • GrappLrGrappLr Member, Alpha One
    Would be cool if my question was picked, one can hope!

My question: My main in MMORPGs is always a ranger. For a ranger to be effective in PVP, he needs to be able to hold his distance from the target. This is usually done either via slows/roots or via high mobility (or both). Given that we've been told that Fighters will be the "Kings of movement", how will a ranger be able to keep his distance from a Fighter class (or alternatively chase after a fleeing Fighter)?

Thanks!
  • What are the Ranger's 4 Augments?
  • MycologyMycology Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm the type of player who wants to PvP more often than not and practice my class.

Will there be any type of level brackets for instanced PvP so I'm not forced to just duels and open world encounters?
  • Hype

• will we be able to become a bounty hunter without being a citizen of a military node, or do we have to be a citizen, meaning we cant progress in a religion while also being a bounty hunter?
  • ContortzzContortzz Member
    edited September 2022
    Sorry to be a pain but those test server details we spoke about must have gone to spam, dm me that link and log in dets instead to be safe. Cheers 🍻
    Join The Casual Conspiracy
    https://discord.gg/Rs5cwrYwst
  • From a developer’s perspective, what is the “ideal” amount of turnover for the most advanced nodes? 1 time per month? 3 times per year? And can you share ways you may adjust the balance of the design if nodes over time become too static or chaotic?
  • Does a ranger need to carry/equip both ranged and melee weapon for the auto swap to happen as skills are triggered?
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited September 2022
    Greetings everyone - thank you again for sharing your questions with us and tuning in for today's livestream! In case you didn't hear us cover your question on the stream, it may be because we've shared an answer previously - check out more on that below!

@MeLlamanOsaka (question 1, 2, 3), @Optics2134 (question), @KRissCHu (question), @Furighteous (question), @Papedipupi (question), @Luto (question), @LordPax (question), @PlasticLemons (question), @angelicshiya (question), @Asgerr (question 1, 2, 3), @Tyrazaphael (question), @NiKr (question), @DigitalDayDream (question 1, 2), @fude (question 1, 2), @Strevi (question 1, 2), @Be7o (question 1, 2), @ChaosFactor (question), @TeKDrY25 (question), @DeviLzFury (question), @Tryol (question), @OnyStyle (question), @DornWarWicker (question), @Vexsin (question), @Arkethos (question), @FrofiFly (question), @Kreinster (question 1, 2), @tazok (question) - Please only post one question next time as requested, and if you only posted one question, please make sure to keep it as direct/succinct as possible - that way it's more likely to be picked!

@Firebrand (quesiton) - You can read more on what has been said regarding Divine nodes here and the religious system here :)

@Gimlog (question) - Secondary archetypes may be changed, but not "on-the-fly". You can read more on that here, on the wiki!

@SparkyCJB (question), @Hjerim (question) - All of the teams here are intrepid, from art and animation to design and engineering are all working hard on ironing out the details of all of the systems that cosmetics will pertain to. We understand that players are looking for further news. We are still hard at work on this and hope to have an update for you soon!

@George_Black (question) - These types of decisions will be subject to testing and further iteration. ;)

@arsnn (question) - You certainly can expect that myself and Roshen will be having many conversations with the community around different archetypes and classes in the future ;)

@Chaoser (question) - No final decision has been made regarding a trial version for Ashes of Creation. Stay tuned for updates on this topic as we progress further in development ^_^

@SomeRandomName (question) - We suspect players will be able to find weapons that look great with their cosmetic costumes ;)

@Skeleton_King (question) - You will be able to grant access to another player, for example for wife. You can read more about that here, on the wiki!

@Warth (question), @WhereFernsGrow (question), @vladrikf (question), @Mayhem (question), @Leukael (question), @Obamanizer (question), @Emberflame (question), @WHIT3ROS3 (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding artisan classes, gathering and processing as we progress closer towards Alpha Two ^_^

@Snekkers (question), @akabear (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding release dates as we progress further in development! :)

@Cadac (question) - This is still subject to testing and further iteration. Please stay tuned as we progress further in development! :)

@Hartwell (question) - The additional character customization items that are included with some Kickstarter packages are not designated as Kickstarter exclusive. So there is a possibility that those items could be offered in a future package. But at this time, they are only available in the Kickstarter packages.

@Sago65 (question) - This is currently not a planned feature. However, I can tell you that your reputation can often serve this purpose in MMORPGs ;)

@Happymeal2415 (question) - This is certainly something we are still hoping to achieve. We will have an update in the future as we progress further in development! :)

@thecoldnorway (question) - You can read more about what has been said regarding add-ons and API support here, on the wiki! TL;DR: The developers do not want addons/mods to be necessary to experience the game.

@Barab (question) - This is currently not a planned feature, though much is subject to further testing. Please stay tuned for more information as we progress further in development! :)

@thaginjaninja (question) - Perhaps this is a topic you should discuss in General Discussion here on the forums! :)

@Zeeneaze (question) - I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of pelicans in the world of Verra.

@CCC_dk (question) - We will have more details on specific examples such as this one as we progress further in development :)

@TheOneTrueMailman (question), @Roofian (question) - A complete elimination of meta-gaming is likely impossible. However, we can do our best to design the game to incentive players to play what they want and not what they feel they must. An example of a decision with that in mind, is the omission of damage meters in Ashes of Creation.

@SonicXplosion (question) - Combat pets are still in the design and development process. Please stay tuned for more information regarding combat pets as we progress further in development! For now, you can read more on what has been said regarding combat pets [url=" https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Combat_pets"]here, on the wiki[/url]!

@Superplus (question) - Utility skills are still a planned feature of Ashes of Creation. You can read more about utility skills here, on the wiki!

@Liniker (question) - We would love to have all 8 archetypes available at the beginning of Alpha Two ^_^

@boshean (question) - We would love to show you, rather than tell you the answer to this question... For that, we ask that you please wait until we progress a bit further along towards Alpha Two! :)

@Treefrog (question) - I'm writing this before we go live for the livestream. You'll be reading this after the stream has ended. With that said, I believe the answer to your question will be answered on stream! ;)

@Gurz (question) - Some content will be slightly altered before launch. However, players coming together to trigger or complete events is the purpose of their design :)

@Eggyse1 (question) - Some content, such as Sieges, will happen on designated server 'prime-times'. You can read more about that here, on the wiki!

@GameMa5Ter2001 (question) - You're correct in that a Tank primary and Cleric secondary will have primarily tank abilities. The opposite is true as well. You can learn a lot about what has been said regarding classes here, on the wiki!

@Fantmx (question) - Currently, this is not a planned feature. However, we're always open to suggestions from our players!

@Voeltz (question) - Ashes of creation will feature many points of interest (PoI) across the world of Verra. These PoI may serve different purposes or functions ;)

@Lloyd (question) - We believe that killing a player should yield consequences. Especially when doing it excessively.

@Idefix55 (question) - Please stay tuned for more details regarding archetypes, as well as combat pets, as we progress further towards Alpha Two! :) For now, you can read more on Summoners here and combat pets here :)

@xillin (question) - You can read more about what has been said regarding animation cancelling here, on the wiki!

@Texaslizard (question), @Pray4You (question) - Yes, players will be able to use the character creator to create NPCs. You can read more on that here, on the wiki!

@Suwariwaza (question) - Players will want to explore the map and siege nodes to unlock additional or different content. Gatherable resources, dungeons, raids and more will all give players a reason to explore and traverse the world.

@TarnishedSolaire (question) - Mounts will not act as combat pets. You can read more about mounts here and combat pets here :)

@AlexanderIronFist (question), @Emberstone (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding mount combat are we progress further in development! For now, you can read more about group mounts here and mounts here, on the wiki!

@Effluvikoff (question), @Purdilicous (question) - Players will have many ways to make sure caravans have a fighting chance. Some examples are: A diverse choice of routes and launch windows, upgradable roads, and mercenary NPCs. You can read more about these here, on the wiki!

@lemulet (question) - What you're suggesting, in my opinion, goes against the ethos of Ashes of Creation. Here is a quote from Steven that sums up his stance on the subject: "Multiple accounts and multi-boxing, that's a little bit difficult for me because it could be conceived as pay-to-win, because you can progress on a second character and you can then gift that progression to your primary character. In that scenario yes I can see the argument. However if the character progresses with the same amount of effort and time needed by the person who's playing and they maintain that progression on that character, then I don't consider it pay-to-win. I consider it a second account. So initially what I'm going to say is having multi-boxing capability will be allowed within Ashes of Creation. There are a few safety nets that I put in place that kind of restrict the ability for abuses that we've seen in other games." – Steven Sharif

@ahmed1139 (question) - Yes, we plan on making challenging content to be found during the entire leveling process :)

@Rikeri (question) - There will be nodes along the coast and on islands. These nodes will have specific water-oriented influences and abilities, services, and questlines, that relate to the seas. You can read more on this here, on the wiki!

@simpetar (question) - Players are free to allocate whichever however many of whichever roles they choose to as they form their group. Some encounters may be best suited for more or less of a role than other encounters :)

@Castai (question) - You can read more about what has been said regarding looting in Ashes of Creation here, on the wiki!

@SLOFinho (question) - Ashes of Creation will be released and supported on Windows at launch. We would love to add support to further platforms in the future :) You can read more about that here, on the wiki!

@Kiwi_ (question) - Steven has discussed iframe dodging in the past, which you can find here, on the wiki!

@Schmuky (question) - You can read more on what has been said regarding hitboxes here, on the wiki! :)

@Armoredcell (quesiton) - You'll have to wait and see what people and NPCs say in-game, in regards to colloquial language. ;)

@Mitchz (question) - You can read more about what has been said regarding item durability here, on the wiki! :)

@Falkath (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding specific archetype and class kit abilities as we progress further in development toward Alpha Two ^_^

@Xefjord (question) - Ships may be able to be summoned in rivers (or other bodies of water) depending on the depth of the water. You can read more about that here, on the wiki!

@HandofSolace (question) - While there will be quite a lot of naval and seafaring content, players will want to return to land often for activities such as caravans, sieges, resource gathering, trading, and more!

@Surg3onGen3ral (question) - Cinematics are something we would love to have in Ashes of Creation! You can read more about what has been said regarding cinematics here, on the wiki!

@shakacon (question) - Our team is very hard at work on the Freehold systems, as well as all the other systems involved with it. Please stay tuned for more information as we get closer to Alpha Two! We're so excited to show off what we have as soon as it's ready :)

@AnnoyingDarvil (question), @Dku_Knights (question) - We will have more information regarding economy and gold-spending as we progress further towards Alpha Two! Please stay tuned for now ^_^

@Ody_Pan (question) - You can read more about what has been said regarding our plans for an arena system here, on the wiki!

@KingKalrai (question) - There will be a cap on the number of times an animal can be bred. This is defined by the type, quality, and purpose of the animal. You can read more about this here, on the wiki!

@Kamik (question) - Player agency and customization is important to us and we know it is important to our players. Augments are going to be one of the ways players can add customization to their characters. You can read more about augments here, on the wiki!

@ImmortalKing (question) - Any character made in the character creator can be a gigachad ;)

@SirChancelot (question) - Your class choice will affect your choice of passive skills, as according to the wiki ;)You can read more on that here!

@Ashgan (question) - You can read more about experience debt here, on the wiki!

@Leir (question) - It may be possible for players to set castle taxes to zero. However, should that be possible, those guilds may find that they don't have control over those castle nodes for long, as those taxes go to upgrade defenses, maintain the castle's direct nodes, or provide buffs and benefits to the citizens of that region. You can read more on this here, on the wiki!

@JayGeL44 (question) - No final decision has been made regarding how the Alpha Two servers will work once the game has launched ^_^

@Njalvar (question) - Non-corrupt players always respawn at the closest active respawn point (to their death). Corrupt players respawn at random locations in the vicinity of their death, not at regular spawn points. You can read more here, on the wiki!

@LukaiLux (question), @Mperor (question) - We love seeing player ideas and suggestions! The best place to put them is in the 'General Discussion' section of the forums :)

@Pattu (question) - Players cannot log out while flagged as combatants. You can read more about this here, on the wiki!

@Azherae (question) - Much of what McP says is cool. A lot of is is evocative. The list is endless, haha!

@Satanical (question) - Each skill in the primary tree will have several augment options from the secondary tree. This is an example of horizontal progression. Experience (XP) is gained through a variety of vertical and horizontal progression paths, such as PvP, PvE, Exploration, Gathering/Processing/Crafting, and Events/Quests. You can read more on this here, on the wiki!

@Liliosa (question) - You can read more about our plans for social animations and emotes here, on the wiki!

@Tyranthraxus (question) - My own personal favorite examples of what some may consider "mini-games" would be the tavern games. You can read more about those here, on the wiki!

@Abarat (question) - We are currently not planning the implementation of any abilities that would allow players to detect alt characters for a player's account. :)

@Valorinth (question) - We're still designing and iterating on some node superpowers, as well as the newly revealed 'node policies'. Please stay tuned for more information regarding node superpowers as we progress closer toward Alpha Two! :)

@Tobius (question) - You can read more on what has been said regarding server population here, on the wiki!

@Kazzzzzz (question) - Players can roam in small groups seeking PvP. However, they will likely be very punished by the corruption system if all their doing is killing any players they come across.

@T Elf (question) - Yes, there will most likely be an auto-run keybind.

@Derized (question) - Ashes of Creation is a PvX game. Players will naturally encounter both PvP and PvE elements. It is unlikely that a player could purely focus on just PvP or just PvE :)

@myndzero (question) - The view distance we've shown thus far has been a temporary setting. We hope to have awesome render distances that make our players happy come Alpha Two! ^_^

@Kreinster (question) - There will certainly be beautiful costumes that characters can wear that will show status and luxuriousness. An example is the Royalty Costume that some Kickstarter backers have.

@Klau (question) - Certain mounts will have combat abilities. Players can't use their class skills while mounted. You can read more about mounted combat here, on the wiki!

@SendisHere (question) - Ashes of Creation will require a monthly subscription to play. The monthly subscription fee is USD $14.99. You can read more about it here, on the wiki!

@Gezber (question), @Leiloni (question), @Karthos (question), @Zoox (question), @superhero6785 (question), @Ozijak (question), @Drunkninja (question), @anarcx (question), @Schwann36 (question), @Lashing (question) - Congratulations! Your questions were randomly selected and answered by Steven on stream! Make sure to check out the VoD on our YouTube channel in case you missed it live! :)

If you didn't receive an answer or tag, there's a chance that we would've loved to get to your question but didn't quite have enough time. We hope to see you all again next month and encourage you to ask your question again if you didn't get an answer!

Thanks for tuning in and joining us for this month's Q&A and development update livestream!
    community_management.gif
  • Me after the 4th month of my question being in the "If you didn't receive an answer or tag, there's a chance that we would've loved to get to your question but didn't quite have enough time. We hope to see you all again next month and encourage you to ask your question again if you didn't get an answer!" category

OOORmwV.gif
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • MargaretKrohnMargaretKrohn Moderator, Staff
    edited October 2022
    🏹🙌🏽Check out our September Development Update to catch up on the latest news! https://youtu.be/GjEP4P5vDZI

🤔 What did you like most about this month’s stream?

(Edited and added to the OP as well!)
    marketing.gif