Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Auction Houses - Economic vs Scientific Node

novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Currently, it is our understanding that the AH will exist in the Economic Node. However I'd like to present an argument for why it should belong in the Scientific node.

1) TELEPORTATION

We all know that in the science node - Fast Travel / Gating is possible between science node cities. Thus I'd like to argue that an AH in this node makes the most sense, since we can link and sell stuff in these inter-connected AH links.

It makes no sense to tie 4 economy nodes in all 4 corners of the world and somehow items are connected / transported.
However it totally makes sense in the science node.

MAYBE TWO TYPES OF AH???????

Now, personally not in favor on adding too much AH in the game BUT somewhat compromise or idea is - the economy AH is different from the science node.

It can do everything the science node can but interconnect Economy nodes AH together.
However, like the science node - the parent node (AH) can be accessed by it's surrounding nodes under it's wing. The nodes 4,3,2 all will have special AH vendors to get access to that specific AH only. Delivery timer depending on the distance (Maximum 2 hours) . Where science node has NO delivery time in the vassal nodes.

So one is vertical AH within it's node and any nodes connected to the parent node.
the other is horizontal - that connects to another node regardless of distance together through science & magic.

Thus this may encourage players looking to caravan their stuff to science nodes.
Now there is a risk/reward in creating a economy or science node in strategic places.
Perhaps ideally - the "meta" for a lack of better term is - Economy node is where many people go to take their stuff before setting out on the larger delivery scale to a science node.

All nodes to Economy Node (due to larger safe zones and spawn distance - see below) then deliver to science node??

EDIT:

So if we move connected AH from economy to science node; what should economy node get?

some quick ideas:

1) Increase both the safe zone and spawn distance of the caravan system. Guards knows these nodes are powerful and a major hub for traders and have increased their patrol.
2) NPC buy/sell favorable to PC
3) If player stalls are a thing - it is not needed in economy node - since smaller nodes under it's parent node with an AH will have mini AH sellers in each town.
4) NPC loot drop increase slightly
5) Gathering / Crafting speed boost slightly (2/4/6/8/10% or whatever # is appropriate)
6) INCENTIVES Caravan delivery. Both Incoming and Outgoing. (Trade Pacts bonus????)
{UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.

Comments

• novercalis wrote: »
    Currently, it is our understanding that the AH will exist in the Economic Node. However I'd like to present an argument for why it should belong in the Scientific node.

1) TELEPORTATION

We all know that in the science node - Fast Travel / Gating is possible between science node cities. Thus I'd like to argue that an AH in this node makes the most sense, since we can link and sell stuff in these inter-connected AH links.

It makes no sense to tie 3 economy nodes in all 4 corners of the world and somehow items are connected / transported.

Keeping that teleportation technology up and running is hard... you should pay 80% taxes. Only 20% should arrive at destination.

Then maybe some will still use caravans.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Strevi wrote: »
    novercalis wrote: »

1) TELEPORTATION

It makes no sense to tie 3 economy nodes in all 4 corners of the world and somehow items are connected / transported.

Keeping that teleportation technology up and running is hard... you should pay 80% taxes. Only 20% should arrive at destination.

that's a different discussion / topic in of itself.
  • Not a fan. I’d rather the scientific nodes focus on traveling to regional economies, not brokering a global economy.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • StreviStrevi Member
    edited October 2022
    Strevi wrote: »

1) TELEPORTATION

that's a different discussion / topic in of itself.

When you buy from an AH, Items are mailed. Only materials and resources must be transported.
    And you want to cheat, to get the resources too. Steven intentionally decided to prevent them being sent by mail, to force players to go and fetch them and risk losing them on the road in PvP.
    That loss is what I considered as 80%. Players who manage to survive every other caravan, would still have an advantage. Only those who lose 4 out of 5 caravans would chose this fast travel.
    But my answer was assuming this change would be accepted.

I understand how uncomfortable is to come from other MMOs which educated us with easy life with global AH and fast travel.
    If your suggestion would be taken, it would be like having such a game combined with the original current vision of AoC. You try to bring both kind of players together. I feel it would be a too big change and would create an instability in the game because these are two completely opposite concepts. It can happen that sieges would cease to exist because these nodes would be too powerful. Alternatively when they would fall, because node attrition, some players might be really upset. Just like when you have items in inventory and then you don't have them anymore.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited October 2022
    So I am a bit outdated on some stuff.

Since there is no mail but a pick up

IF AH is moved from Economy to Science node - this can have a mail service and move between other science node AH/Mail/Homes

everything else based on the AH Functionality stays the same.

As for the suggestive Economy AH - that will be scrapped then since I assumed there was a mail service.
    If at all - you have NPC Merchant in the nodes that are under the parent economy node and they can send it to the AH and have access to AH from any of those nodes under it's parent guardian.
    BUT you still must travel to the parent node to collect.

I honestly dont care for AH, coming from Everquest - where we all met up once a week at the tunnel to sell.
    I honestly would love that but in the scope of AoC
    Logically, made more sense the current iteration of AH should fall under the science node with the teleporation.

You still gotta deliver to the node and upload it to the AH npc. Limit the types of stuff that can be teleported, so resources still must be picked up but items and consumables can be moved about.