Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ashes of Creation's Pantheon- A Beginning?

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2017 in Ashes of Creation Lore
I wrote up this short article on Reddit. Given some information in the last Twitch Q&A, along with the final closing video, some gears began to turn in my brain, and I came up with the beginnings of a theory, as well as some possible gods, pictured in statues. Feel free to comment either there or here, but rather than re-write it all I thought I'd just link it since I know not everyone goes to the Reddit. Hope you enjoy it!

1. Reddit Link
  2. https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/6espxg/ashes_of_creation_possible_pantheon/

Comments

• Sorry I'm allergic to links
  • Megs said:
    Sorry I'm allergic to links
    LOL @SconeOfDoom Nice work!
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Damnit, lol! The link is there, it's just invisible. Hmmmmm, why is it invisible?
  • Thats not a bad idea but the could also be heroes of old as well
  • Pretty interesting speculation. I know there aren't factions, but perhaps there may be religious affiliations. Maybe some of these gods/demigods will grant blessings if you supplicate at their alter? Maybe some will demand sacrifices. Whether in-game or RP, interesting times await!
  • Damnit, lol! The link is there, it's just invisible. Hmmmmm, why is it invisible?
    Non-technical answer: their forum theme is messed up.
    Technical answer: the Popup class applied to links in forum posts is changing the links to black.
  • nagash said:
    Thats not a bad idea but the could also be heroes of old as well
    True, except that all Metropolises will be player built when the game starts, there won't be any pre-existing (that's their entire selling point for the node system, after all). The two female statues, at least, were shown in places of prominence in large cities, which leads me to believe that they're more likely to be gods. That being said, they could be heroes tied to the race that most influenced the city instead of the god of the most prominent religion. The ones around the gate are perhaps more shaky on whether or not they are gods though.
  • They could be heroes from before the catastrophe that drove our ancestors from the world.
    We will be encountering ruins and monuments that are remnants of ancient times.
  • well the thing is, those statues seemed to popup in different videos in different locations. And i think it's more likely that those are Statute dedicated to gods then Heros, as Heros would only be very local usually while Gods are shared for all races.
    On the Other hand, all of those statues are human looking so far. I think it would be boring if all the Gods are just Humanoids.
  • I actually believe the statue you have referred to as the "Balance Lady" is holding a squid, not a scale, although it may be a permutation of both into one. This may be the sea/water goddess. (Tentacles are a huge theme in the water temple.)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017

I think what you are seeing is each metropopolis has its own god.

military, religious, economic, science. Hence you see one solitary statue in the metropolis and two metropoloi shows two different statues/gods.

That woman holding the scales is actually holding a dagger in one hand and a squid in the other. The same squiddy thing we see in the water temple video.

Also they said that certain kickstarter backers would get their own statue in the starting areas ;)

• I think what you are seeing is each metropopolis has its own god.

military, religious, economic, science. Hence you see one solitary statue in the metropolis and two metropoloi shows two different statues/gods.

That woman holding the scales is actually holding a dagger in one hand and a squid in the other. The same squiddy thing we see in the water temple video.

Also they said that certain kickstarter backers would get their own statue in the starting areas ;)

interesting idea, then what statue represent what node?
    well the warrior surly the military, the snake lady i can see as the religious or scientific one, the squid lady, which looks nearly like a scale could work for economics.
  • Starglory said:
    I actually believe the statue you have referred to as the "Balance Lady" is holding a squid, not a scale, although it may be a permutation of both into one. This may be the sea/water goddess. (Tentacles are a huge theme in the water temple.)
    After you mentioned the water temple, I went and re-watched the video to see if I could find a connection. Then I found this: http://imgur.com/37ZUhnz

Seems to solidify the connection quite nicely, methinks. There's also a mural of a kraken sieging a town. I wonder how that is related...
  • I think what you are seeing is each metropopolis has its own god.

Expanding upon this, I don't think each metropolis will have their own god, per se. That would detract from the experience of having the players create everything themselves. Rather, I believe that the pantheon worshipped in each city will draw upon the amount of contribution each religion contributes.

Basically it'll probably work like the race thing. The race that contributes the most makes the city architecture look a certain way. A city's religion will probably determine what god(s) the temple worships (if there's a temple), and this will likely be very important for religious nodes.
  • Starglory said:
    I actually believe the statue you have referred to as the "Balance Lady" is holding a squid, not a scale, although it may be a permutation of both into one. This may be the sea/water goddess. (Tentacles are a huge theme in the water temple.)
    After you mentioned the water temple, I went and re-watched the video to see if I could find a connection. Then I found this: http://imgur.com/37ZUhnz

Seems to solidify the connection quite nicely, methinks. There's also a mural of a kraken sieging a town. I wonder how that is related...
    so squids are representations of balance/economy? i can live with that. Squids are pretty smart animals
  • Enrif said:
    Starglory said:

so squids are representations of balance/economy? i can live with that. Squids are pretty smart animals

• A neat system for the gods would be if they fully started out as unknown until questers or explorers find shrines or documents related to them.

At that point, a person who knows about a god can choose to worship them. Then, through word of mouth, they can discuss the god, or maybe even being a worshipper allows you to build a small shrine on your freehold. Other people can then come and see the shrine and choose to worship there.

Soon enough with enough worshippers in the world, the god is eligible for a temple in a node.
  • I looove mmo's where you get to interact with the gods or at least their messengers. I wonder if they'll flesh it out even deeper to a sort of favor/reward system.
  • Zelkova said:
    I looove mmo's where you get to interact with the gods or at least their messengers. I wonder if they'll flesh it out even deeper to a sort of favor/reward system.
    Man I hope @AutumnWillow and @Dygz don't read this!! :D
  • Kratz said:

Zelkova said:
    I looove mmo's where you get to interact with the gods or at least their messengers. I wonder if they'll flesh it out even deeper to a sort of favor/reward system.
    Man I hope @AutumnWillow and @Dygz don't read this!! :D

Great now I have to wipe out this thread as well and I just summoned Cthulhu 
  • I heard that this thread needs more debates about semantics. How can i help? lol
  • Here he comes 

• nagash said:
    Here he comes 

@Megs is going to spit her ale out with excitement!
  • I'm personally more interested in the religions than the gods themselves. And yes, they can be independent of one another.  :#

Btw, balance lady looks a little like she's showing of some weird squid she captured to her followers.
  • oh dang it, @nagash  has already an ally in the seas? 

well, call me ye pirate ship, there will be squid for diner!