Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Are ya'll testing this game on AMD GPUs as well?

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
I have so far only seen Nvidia cards mentioned for the Intrepid developers, so I am wondering if they are also using AMD cards internally for QA and such? And optimizing the game for AMD as well. I suppose we'll need @Vaknar to respond here really, but if any of you know of them using AMD cards, please share the info :smile:

I am building the next PC for A2 release, and I kinda want to say "Screw you Jensen and your insane prices and burning power cables", but if the game is built around nvidia from Intrepid's side of things it might be a harder choice to go AMD this time. I know a lot of it is up to the engine, and UE5 will certainly run well on AMD in general, but Intrepid's choices in included technologies still affect the outcome. And the game will likely run more stable on the same hardware the devs use.

Comments

• BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No game studio on earth would release a product without testing AMD. I mainline AMD and have had no issues gaming in general.
    What makes you so reluctant to go AMD?

Kinda curious to see if the new Intel cards will be supported.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's not a reluctance to go AMD in general. But I am buying a PC specifically with Ashes in mind as the main game, and unfortunately some games lean more towards Nvidia, and others lean towards AMD in terms of best performance. If they are about even for Ashes I am going AMD, while saving some money.

And yeah! I hope they support Intel too! It would be great to have a third competitor at least.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would not hesitate to use an AMD card. My current card is NVidia, but if I were to upgrade in the near future I would likely do AMD because they are putting out some very nice cards that are very competitively priced in comparison to NVidia.

As @Botagar said, they'd be insane not to ensure that they fully support AMD cards. I have more faith in Intrepid than that.

Hhak63P.png
  • BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    were at the stage of diminishing returns in rasterisation with each new generation of cards from both AMD and NVIDIA. When i see differences between the 2, its like 180fps to 170fps.
    I've seen too many pc builders get lost in the weeds of "1% better" when realistically mid ranged GPU's of the last gen will hit over 60fps on most popular games.
  • Botagar wrote: »
    were at the stage of diminishing returns in rasterisation with each new generation of cards from both AMD and NVIDIA. When i see differences between the 2, its like 180fps to 170fps.
    I've seen too many pc builders get lost in the weeds of "1% better" when realistically mid ranged GPU's of the last gen will hit over 60fps on most popular games.

This. This. This. As a resident in the weeds dweller. If you are planning on building any mid->high end (I am doing the same) then you are talking about the difference in single digit frames in most cases and thats even when you consider that most games of this nature have to be optimized out the wazoo so even running 1440p+ shouldn't see much problem. I also am probably jumping on the new 7000 series AMD GPUs because Nvidia pricing is a systemic problem, but that is a whole other conversation. I would not sweat for a second about how these cards will interact with AoC.
  • HartassenHartassen Member
    edited November 2022
    Last year in september I got my first amd card ever by buying a 6600XT when a 3060TI was not a viable choice (being about 200$ more expensive here in Sweden). I pair this with a 5600X.

I've had a lot of driver issues the past 3-4 months. I plan on buying an intel cpu and nvidia gpu next time I upgrade my PC. Not that my amd cpu has had any issues but I just don't trust them anymore. Some games are completely fine while others get small stutters/freezes for a second. Others are worse causing pure crashes to desktop where I get a notification that the drivers have stopped responding. The amd radeon software also has some issues where for instance I can no longer use the replay function as it will turn the entire screen black and freeze for a second or two before it goes back to normal and the software reboots itself (I know this because it pops up again in the top right corner showing all the options I have enabled or disabled for the game such as sharpening, anti-lag, chill etcetera).

This all happened a few months ago as AMD updated their drivers off their latest stable version. It's since then gotten better the past month or two with the recent optional driver updates.

I'm sure there are those with no issues with their amd gpu's but I just don't trust them anymore as I never had issues with my previous nvidia gpu's. I also immediately began experiencing audio popping right after I swapped out my old nvidia gpu to my new amd one.

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Hartassen wrote: »
    This all happened a few months ago as AMD updated their drivers off their latest stable version. It's since then gotten better the past month or two with the recent optional driver updates.

AMD literally rewrote their DX11 driver, it was released around July or so of this year.

A question I would have for you, when you changed from Nvidia to AMD, what did you do to remove the Nvidia drivers? Conflicts like the ones you are talking about here often result from improperly removing previous drivers when switching from one brand to the other.
  • HartassenHartassen Member
    edited November 2022
    Noaani wrote: »
    Hartassen wrote: »

AMD literally rewrote their DX11 driver, it was released around July or so of this year.

A question I would have for you, when you changed from Nvidia to AMD, what did you do to remove the Nvidia drivers? Conflicts like the ones you are talking about here often result from improperly removing previous drivers when switching from one brand to the other.

I did a completely fresh reinstall of windows using the media creation tool and a usb-drive. Something I've done dozens of times before.
  • I'm far from an expert, but the only big difference i have heard about on similar power cards is that nvidia supposedly still has a healthy advantage in ray tracing, so I have been curious to hear if that is a technology that will be used in AoC. I'm planning a new build in the coming months as well, with AoC top of mind, and it would be nice to know if it is worth spending extra on nvidia to take advantage of that.
    wrms wrote: »
    I'm far from an expert, but the only big difference i have heard about on similar power cards is that nvidia supposedly still has a healthy advantage in ray tracing, so I have been curious to hear if that is a technology that will be used in AoC. I'm planning a new build in the coming months as well, with AoC top of mind, and it would be nice to know if it is worth spending extra on nvidia to take advantage of that.

I am quite sure Steven has mentioned ray tracing several times, as a thing they are doing.
    I'm far from an expert, but the only big difference i have heard about on similar power cards is that nvidia supposedly still has a healthy advantage in ray tracing, so I have been curious to hear if that is a technology that will be used in AoC. I'm planning a new build in the coming months as well, with AoC top of mind, and it would be nice to know if it is worth spending extra on nvidia to take advantage of that.

Well, I should specify that they will most likely use Lumen, a part of UE5, which is a type of cross-platform raytracing. It can be run in software so graphics cards without the raytracing cores can make use of it, but it comes with a performance hit. It can also use the raytracing hardware on the cards that have it for better quality.

So in the end I guess the choice for me comes down to how well the new AMD and Nvidia cards perform in UE5. This page here shows a 6900XT outperforming a 3090 at 1440p, but the 3090 leading at 4K resolution.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited November 2022
    Hiya! We have plenty of AMD and Nvidia cards in our machines here in the office :wink:

Edit: Also a good mix of AMD and Intel CPUs :)
    community_management.gif
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Hiya! We have plenty of AMD and Nvidia cards in our machines here in the office :wink:

<3 Thank you!
    edited November 2022

What, no MTT or Intel Arc GPU's?
  • Noaani wrote: »

I laughed a bit to hard at this one. I will say Arc might be in an ok place as of AoC releasing.
  • At the moment im wondering if i should make my next build being DDR5 using a RX 7900 XTX.
    Or do i go DDR4 and use a 4800X3D with 6900XT: OR do i go Intel I5 & see if i could get a cheap 3090TI.
    I tell you what i know about Dwarf's.
    Very little
    edited November 2022
    DeadlyDave wrote: »
    At the moment im wondering if i should make my next build being DDR5 using a RX 7900 XTX.
    Or do i go DDR4 and use a 4800X3D with 6900XT: OR do i go Intel I5 & see if i could get a cheap 3090TI.

If you go for the 5800X3D, you are starting off that computer with the best CPU that will ever be made for that motherboard. If you are the kind of person that upgrades your computer at all, that means your only upgrade path is a new motherboard, CPU and ram.

If you go for the i5 and 3090ti, you are probably going to have a bottleneck at your CPU (this does depend, but is the most likely scenario). You are also not going to have an upgrade path other than replacing your CPU and motherboard together.

These things may be something you dont care about, but they may also not be things you care about.
    DeadlyDave wrote: »
    At the moment im wondering if i should make my next build being DDR5 using a RX 7900 XTX.

If you go for the 5800X3D, you are starting off that computer with the best CPU that will ever be made for that motherboard. If you are the kind of person that upgrades your computer at all, that means your only upgrade path is a new motherboard, CPU and ram.

If you go for the i5 and 3090ti, you are probably going to have a bottleneck at your CPU (this does depend, but is the most likely scenario). You are also not going to have an upgrade path other than replacing your CPU and motherboard together.

These things may be something you dont care about, but they may also not be things you care about.

All things considered wait for reviews/benchmarking/etc so that by Jan/Feb you can see if there is any meaningful uplift with a DDR5/7900XTX build vs the ones you referenced. Personally with the crash in over MSRP prices back down to reality and the fact that I am hobbyist builder I am keeping my eyes on the GPU market for the same/similar build ideas.

With that said I have a feeling the 7900XT and XTX I think might hit the sweet spot for me so once I see some meaningful data I will probably decide but I like that the 7900 path offers me the chance to upgrade that isn't just another whole new system.
    Yeah, unless you absolutely need a new PC right now, this is the perfect time to lean back and wait for 7900XTX reviews and to let the Nvidia melting cable issues get worked out. Possibly even wait until CES 2023 which happens Jan. 5-8 and see if AMD will be launching the the 7800X3D version anytime soon after. Apparently their top selling CPU is still the 5800X3D, and they aren't selling many of their 7000 series because of the new platform cost. Maybe that'll expedite their release of the 7800X3D CPU.

Either way, we don't need to panic buy a new PC for alpha 2 release within the first few months I think :wink:

If you go for the i5 and 3090ti, you are probably going to have a bottleneck at your CPU (this does depend, but is the most likely scenario).

From the benchmarks I've seen of the i5 13600k, while this might technically be true, the only way the benchmarks were showing a cpu bottleneck was by running games on 1080p with lower graphics settings to crank out hundreds of fps, at which point it did bottleneck, but so would the other cpus listed, that's the point of those tests. I haven't seen anything to suggest the i5 would be more of an issue in a build than the others suggested, and I wouldn't expect it to bottleneck at all unless you went out of your way to make it happen. I just wanted to point this out because your phrasing made it sound a bit like an i5 would be a bad cpu to get, but from what I've heard it's actually really good this generation.
    I really wish we had more MMORPG benchmarks/stats out there with many players fighting. MMORPGs are notoriously heavier on the CPU than most other games. More draw calls, more network package synchronizing, more everything in large battles. We've seen Intrepid trying to reduce the amount of draw calls from the CPU in sieges with some success, and perhaps with UE5 and Nanite they can reduce it even further.

The 13600K is very unlikely to be the main bottleneck if you're playing at 4K resolution of course, but this genre really is one where I personally want more CPU power than I would otherwise consider optimal for games.
  • I didnt know that about MMOs being more cpu intensive, that's good to know. I had been considering the 13600k and 13700k for my next build (im just historically an Intel guy), and if that's the case with MMOs I might finally have a good excuse to go for the 13700k. I might reconsider my allegiance if the 7800X3D comes out in a timely fashion, since I've heard really great things about the 5800X3D.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some early testing of these chips.
    At 10:41 they are showing results for FFXIV for the 13600k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=todoXi1Y-PI
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.

If you go for the i5 and 3090ti, you are probably going to have a bottleneck at your CPU (this does depend, but is the most likely scenario).

From the benchmarks I've seen of the i5 13600k, while this might technically be true, the only way the benchmarks were showing a cpu bottleneck was by running games on 1080p with lower graphics settings to crank out hundreds of fps, at which point it did bottleneck, but so would the other cpus listed, that's the point of those tests.
    Yeah, or if you're gaming while also running a browser with multiple tabs, Discord, etc.

If all you are doing is running the game and nothing else, it will be fine. This is why I said it depends - most MMO players I know run multiple applications while also running their MMO of choice, but not all do. I mean, these things aren't overly taxing by themselves, but depending on what you have running, you may need to factor in higher CPU usage than any benchmark tests you'll find.

I mean, I've yet to see a CPU benchmark that is running the game as well as all the other things often used along side an MMO.
  • That's a good point. I still think the i5 seems like a great option in its price range, but having more multitasking ability could be a good reason to aim higher if your budget allows.
  • I am using AMD 6900XT GPU. I hope the devs will add AMD, not just Nvidia...
    edited November 2022

UE5 will have support for Intel XeSS at least :smile:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/301216/intel-xess-plugin-released-for-unreal-engine

So now they just have to manage to find a card for sale.