Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will Race abilities effective your choice ?

I my self will pic a race that has the best ability for a necromancer how about your self

Comments

• yep
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nah.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Perhaps.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Probably not. Might make me angry, but won't likely change my choice.
  • Partially. I have a good idea what races I want to play, much less so for the classes. So which race is paired with which class might be influenced by what ability makes it more interesting (not necessarily what makes it the stronger).
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • I have a pretty clear idea of what I am wanting to do, and I don't think I will deviate from that based on what class/race pairing is optimal.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited November 2022
    I personally like playing the race I enjoy the most, rather than picking for statistical maximization! I know many MMORPG gamers like to min-max with racial abilities, though! :)

Anybody here have a race they're dying to play, regardless of racials?
    community_management.gif
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Tbh I'd prefer if they got rid of the racial augment and different base stats for different races thing. I do think race choice should be purely cosmetic, not "this race is slightly better at Mage than this race so I'm gonna pick this race to minmax".
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Talents wrote: »
    Tbh I'd prefer if they got rid of the racial augment and different base stats for different races thing. I do think race choice should be purely cosmetic, not "this race is slightly better at Mage than this race so I'm gonna pick this race to minmax".

Personally, I have never run into a game like this where the racial bonuses actually transferred to any discernable increase in power. I am sure the case will be the same for this.
  • HartassenHartassen Member
    edited November 2022
    I have a selection of races and archetypes I am interested in. If one of those produce a best race+class combo that's what I'll play,

• ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nope, I'm going to play the races I like the most regardless. Empyrean and Py'Rai!
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Nope. Race > racials.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm 50/50.

If race traits make a pretty big difference (like Tabletop RPGs) then yes, I will maximize my role.
    But If I have to play as a Tulnar (*gag*) for that advantage, I'm happy to go without.

;)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    Nope. Race > racials.

I see another person of culture.
  • I hope race matters.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • I would not like to races have an impact on combat gameplay, because of balancing issues. However if they want to follow traditional route I would make races to have some minor buffs. Like how taurens in WoW had race buff to herbalism (+15 skill) because of their druidic and shamanistic role in warcraft Lore. Things like these.
  • Am personally sad that there will be racial augments and race-based stats.

It feels like they'll flesh it out reasonably. I think it'll be okay - as long as it doesn't equate to meaning the someone of X class will always beat so-and-so of the same X class, because they chose a different/better race, at character creation.

• Possibly depends how are big are the effects. I am most likely going to play elf ranger or rogue but so far all the races look amazing apart from dunir imo. So if it looks my class or life skills would be "significantly" better as other race I might play something other than elf if I can get them look way I want.
  • Very unlikely
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Vaknar wrote: »
    I personally like playing the race I enjoy the most, rather than picking for statistical maximization! I know many MMORPG gamers like to min-max with racial abilities, though! :)

Anybody here have a race they're dying to play, regardless of racials?

elfffffffffffffffffff
    I hope elves make the best healer ;-;
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    People fail to account for the fact that most players will never have to worry about min maxing because they'll never be in the top percentile of players where min-maxing matters.

Pick what you want to play because it looks cool. It'll be a long time before anyone here can match what is on paper to how things work mechanically in game for peak efficiency.
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    I mostly choose by looks
    I hope race doesn't affect combat or professions

A single player RPG or a tabletop RPG makes sense the races being very different
    But in MMOs having different stats is just bad because people force themselves in min maxing otherwise they will be always suboptimal

PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    definitley will, but perhaps it depends how balanced the racials are
  • Akaime wrote: »
    definitley will, but perhaps it depends how balanced the racials are

I do not speak for Intrepid, but it seems like a bad move to tell people if you want to play X class you need to pick Y race. IF there is a sizable advantage that is basically what they are doing for a major % of the population which I don't exactly expect from an MMO.

As much as it pains me to say this :wink:@Arya_Yeshe I think is right, for Single player this makes a ton of sense but I foresee them making racial differences maybe but them being basically a non-factor by endgame in any relevant gear.
  • id prefer to play a dwarf but ill def go with whatever race makes my character strongest.. nothing else really matters
    u2BkQvn.png
  • Depraved wrote: »

I think the best healers will make the best healers. 🤗

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »

I think the best healers will make the best healers. 🤗

and those will be max casting speed elves ;3