Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Shield as an offhand weapon

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Hear me out, in most games a shield is used just for blocking but what if we could use a shield as an offhand wepon also allowing you to perform attacks with reduced damage, knockbacks, stuns, make it like we see in some of our favorite movies, lotr, gladiator, Spartacus, Vikings sort of style, i feel as though this is a huge missed opportunity in so many games that a shield just becomes a defensive stat stick that does nothing, it could even go further and allow blacksmiths to add things to the shield, thorns, maybe something that slows incoming attacks, poisons, something along these lines

what are your thoughts

Comments

• Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    I love Guild Wars 2 shields!

You can block, you can knock others on the ground, you can throw like Captain American, you can stun with electrical shield, you can deflect, can deal damage and so much more

I loved your idea about customized shields, there was never a game that put the shields in the spotlight!

I wonder if would be cool changing each part for different uses and results

Shields were never a thing in any game, in most cases shields had sockets and people placed gems or runes... it is interesting, but the subject shields kinda got stuck in time
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Yep - I’m a fan of shields as off-hands weapons. Love that shield bash stun.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • GankezGankez Member
    edited November 2022
    ya i think shields should have some offensive abilities.. things focused around utility or w/e.. stuns/knockbacks ect.. but i dont think they should do A LOT of dmg.. getting smashed in the face with a shield would hurt..but not quite as much as with an axe xD
    u2BkQvn.png
  • Jon Snow vs Ramsay Bolton fight scene is all you need to know about shields
  • Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    I love Guild Wars 2 shields!

You can block, you can knock others on the ground, you can throw like Captain American, you can stun with electrical shield, you can deflect, can deal damage and so much more

I loved your idea about customized shields, there was never a game that put the shields in the spotlight!

I wonder if would be cool changing each part for different uses and results

Shields were never a thing in any game, in most cases shields had sockets and people placed gems or runes... it is interesting, but the subject shields kinda got stuck in time

guess u never saw a shield sader/paladin in RO :D

I just hope shield users don't get an extra slot for enchants or sockets or whatever T_T
  • @Depraved I don't know what that is

What I like about GW2 shield play is that it connects well to with the button smashing, it's very fluid
  • While "Shield Bash" was quoted as an example of combat abilities in a VERY recent update video, it's been made clear that shields will NOT be weapons, in AoC.

This thread will likely be placed with the super-thread on the subject, if you care to look it up, in the meanwhile.

• Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    @Depraved I don't know what that is

What I like about GW2 shield play is that it connects well to with the button smashing, it's very fluid

its a build for the crussader/paladin in ragnarok online where you can use your shield as a weapon, way before guild wars did it
  • I might have forgotten if this was announced but will there be a 'handedness' option? I really would like the idea of being able to use a shield in the right hand to mix things up some. The idea of a shield as a weapon is quite interesting, especially if there is some synergy like say tower shield with a short spear.