Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Simple proof of Vanilla WoW prep before raid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaFdVeK-gpo

Isn't this beautiful to see? Imagine all hours spend to prepare like this guy, the grind, the people you meet, the enemies you kill in open world, all the adventures? This is what makes MMO epic.

Comments

• Look at the top right corner near mini-map.. Those are all consumables (mainly) some are buffs from classes.
  • Now imagine this player power vs retail Wow theme park mmo that has idea of one flask giving tanks around 1000hp and tanks had around 35k in first patch, lster on no changes to profession and tanks had 130k hp... what you like more? To have consumables that are expensive and epic or theme park way to have everything cheap and not mandatory... i think if you are truly rpg lover you would want to treat gold as real life money...
  • Looks mediocre.
  • Compare vanilla prep to any other mainstream mmo... this looks amazing, especially if you know process of doing this.
  • It's truly sad seeing people grind
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Compare vanilla prep to any other mainstream mmo... this looks amazing, especially if you know process of doing this.

I am very familiar with this process and it was not as inspired as you seem to remember. Definitely can agree that Vanilla WoW is for you and definitely not for me.

I'd say I'd be sorry if this game wasn't for you but I am praying this game is not for you.
  • DepravedDepraved Member
    edited November 2022
    Compare vanilla prep to any other mainstream mmo... this looks amazing, especially if you know process of doing this.

it's literally tedious. I've played games where you have to farm 20-30 hours of consumables every single week just to use them all in a 2 hours activity. it gets tiring after the 2nd or 3rd week.

i honestly don't mind grinding...i like staying in one spot for 10 hours killing the same mob over and over instead of running all over the map questing and shit, but I wanna feel like ill get a big reward, not just 2 hours of consumables.

idk why ur obsessed with vanilla wow and keep saying its the best. if it was..then why everything changed? why the only version of wow that is similar to vanilla wow was vanilla wow? -.-

if you are a pve hero, in a full pve game, then I would understand you wouldn't mind farming all those consumables and running around all over the map to get buffs to use them all during a boss fight...but ashes isn't a pve game for pve heroes...id rather have my buffs from my party.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaFdVeK-gpo

Isn't this beautiful to see? Imagine all hours spend to prepare like this guy, the grind, the people you meet, the enemies you kill in open world, all the adventures? This is what makes MMO epic.

I have never played WoW and this boring video doesnt make me want to try it.
  • Myosotys wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaFdVeK-gpo

I have never played WoW and this boring video doesnt make me want to try it.

its not about video, its about consumables. I don't know why newer generation doesn't want to grind to prepare for ''main content''. I think every MMORPG especially with gatherings like AoC or New World, should have this system of grinding materials in order to craft consumables that give you power to run PvE dungeons or even PvP in open world.

I really don't understand why you prefer to get everything cheap and then play for a week without any farming. If you prefer that, then there are new age MMOs out there that don't require you to farm. These are called theme-park MMOs and there is a reason why they are called like that. AoC is going to be old-school more then theme-park therefore it should have this preparation in it.

Content should be doing professions and PvPing in free time, and when people group up for the night they should go defeat hard bosses in PvE or sieges, all of this would be useless if there isn't this point of preparation because consumables would be so cheap that it would require you to farm about 30min per week, this is insane how bad design that is, I hope you understand now, why I want economy to be like vanilla WoW.

If economy is not similar to vanilla WoW then what you going to do with free time? Roam around doing professions for nothing? No, that would be stupid.
  • LashingLashing Member
    edited November 2022
    Based on what Steven has said. Preparation is going to be a huge part of doing content. From raid bosses to sieges. Sieges give you several days advance warning to give people time to prep for them. He talks about heavy costs for doing things like guild wars. From what I can tell it is not going to be a game where you always have all the tools you need for every job. I guess we will see.
  • That's what my philosophy of MMO, no MMO should be lobby game where you run out of things to do in open world. Vanilla wow is small compared to AoC open world, and I don't want them to make Vanilla WoW open world since it was so small and stupid, you grinded x10 mobs for 1 flask in winterspring timber bears. It was all about end results thus some people could not enjoy process because they were not in the moment. But those that were in moment got very chill vibes from that game, I know because it is not far away in the past that I played vanilla, I played in 2019 when original wow released classic vanilla and I remember it good.

If they design consumables like vanilla WoW with gathering that they have planned and already designed, its going to be a good time for sure. Imagine all PVP in open world and full loot and that vibe of being in danger always because you know if you get to settlement you are going to get rich because everything is worth, like if you were hunting IRL and you got a boar with you and you are carrying something precious, thats how I want to feel when I gather some plants or cut some trees... I hope you do see my point, its not making pure vanilla WoW design gameplay wise, its more like giving us this worthiness of materials and to make gold worth.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You do know WoW has always been a theme park MMO right?

Most people won't farm 20-30 hours to do a 2-3 hour event be it PvP or PvE.
    If it takes you that long in vanilla WoW might need to reassess what you have going on it that time.

I would say a large portion of the community in any MMO does not spend time grinding for things to make consumables. Division of labor ended that practice a while back. I would be willing to bet if you told the average player your gonna just hang out in one area for 10+ hours and pick flowers most would say no and go do something else.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Its not 10 hours, its not EQ99, vanilla was more casual then any game back in 2004. Its about 3-4 hours per week for a raid that is similar to NAXX difficulty. You did not need this for every raid, just on start of phase / patch and maybe if you wanted to do it out of fun.

Basically you could buy all things from Auction, but you needed like 500-600g - which is 75g/per hour on average farm, and this is from tank perspective because flasks for stamina were the most expensive.
  • Years ago, when I saw that I would have to keep farmining in WoW, farming farming farming just to have the gear for PvP, I said:
    -F this, this game is stupid

People stayed in there farmining, recently I watched Asmongold saying that Blizzard made this boring gamedesign and now they don't change it otherwise they would be admiting they did something boring for years
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    If economy is not similar to vanilla WoW then what you going to do with free time? Roam around doing professions for nothing? No, that would be stupid.

Vanilla WoWs economy wasnt all that good.

If you want a game with a good economy, look at either Archeage or EVE.

Either game makes vanilla WoW look like the children's game that it was.

People here saying they dont want what WoW had back then aren't saying they dont want a good economy, for the most part they are saying they want a better economy.
  • Can you explain why it was not good?

I admit I am comparing it to gw2 or New World economy.
  • WoW has no economy, WoW is closer to trading humanity had 3000 years ago
  • Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Years ago, when I saw that I would have to keep farmining in WoW, farming farming farming just to have the gear for PvP, I said:
    -F this, this game is stupid

People stayed in there farmining, recently I watched Asmongold saying that Blizzard made this boring gamedesign and now they don't change it otherwise they would be admiting they did something boring for years

Back in vanilla or tbc you did not need to catch up with every patch. For example my balance druid had phase 1 epics and I usually did top damage meters in battlegrounds both for alliance and horde. Even though it was phase 5 and balance druid is not even close compared to warlocks or hunter dmg wise... It was way more ''sandbox'' gearing wise.

For example phase 1 head piece would give 35 spell power and 30 stamina while phase 5 head piece would give 45 spell power and 40 stamina.

Retail gearing is way more theme-park compared to vanilla/tbc gearing, even wotlk is similar to retail, which made game worse for casuals and those that don't play every patch.
  • @Arya_Yeshe

Can you explain why?
  • @VekoCrnogorac take this:
    https://www.eveonline.com/signup?invc=13eb5b57-e066-44a7-b4ad-d96c089e6138

Register a free account there and enjoy the 1 milion free skill points from this link and learn game economy for free
  • No seriously, can you explain why is it bad to prepare for ''main content''. It's just making to game has more content. In New World I don't see why I would farm gold daily in order to play battlegrounds or PvE... That is not good design...
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Can you explain why it was not good?

I admit I am comparing it to gw2 or New World economy.

It wasnt good because it was one dimensional. The developers didnt supply players with an actual vibrant economy in which there are dozens or hundreds of ways to interact with it, they provided players with grind based content to produce consumables of questionable value that could then be sold to others in order for them to skip that grind.

Look in to EVE and/or Archeages economy. As an example of EVE's commitment to it's in game economy, they hired an actual Economics PhD to develop and manage the games economy. WoWs nitial development disnt have a single PhD at all, from my understanding.
  • Grinding 20-30 hours a week per person to get buffs is a trash system meant to gate keep people from doing content.

There is nothing wrong with overall group preparation for content in craft and making getting a few things. But if you need to do certain daily quest to get a limited time buff, run around the world to pick up a bunch of other buffs, and do a bunch of other none sense that is just gatekeeping and not good content.
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    @Arya_Yeshe

Can you explain why?

Where do I even begin?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUpIKRjYlR0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6j_UsGJnkQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrW6p5ns8K8

EVE is the only real economy in gaming, you can actually measure your production from ingame to real life dollars
    You can calculate EVE's production in real world's GDP and here is why

EVE has tens of thousands of items and nearly all are made or gathered by players.
    Also everytime you die, you lose your ship 100%, it's all gone, then you gotta build, buy or have another ship in your hangar

So in EVE everything is burnning and being rebuilt by players
  • Basically this guy that I watched on youtube spoke about things I will never understand because its complex and I do not know IRL economy well.

Now I wonder what are you buying in EVE online, since its space-ship game do you buy repair kits for ship that work like potions or stuff similar to consumables or are you just buying ammunition and ships and weapons maybe that are attached to ships?

I am trying to understand if currency feels like IRL money (that means it has worth because other materials that can be bought are ''expensive'') why are you then opposing this idea of vanilla wow which is much more simpler then eve online economy. Basically you need to do gathering / some mobs killing in order to get these consumables that give player power which is important because if it did not give player power then it would be useless. I am trying to understand this???
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    Grinding 20-30 hours a week per person to get buffs is a trash system meant to gate keep people from doing content.

There is nothing wrong with overall group preparation for content in craft and making getting a few things. But if you need to do certain daily quest to get a limited time buff, run around the world to pick up a bunch of other buffs, and do a bunch of other none sense that is just gatekeeping and not good content.

Basically what you are saying you want to not play game during ''free'' time??? I assume that you would PVP in open world especially in MMO like AoC where there is drop loot on death. It makes things more fun. Why would you do professions that are useless for end game content, I mean what would you do if there is no prep before sieges or PvE bosses? It would feel very boring.
  • I love GW2 overall, but there is no economy also because there's no item destruction

The auction house even tough it works, the economical aspects of it is pure trash!
    The materials cost way more than buying finished items, because everybody grinds professions by buying materials and them dump the items in the auction house

So people are buying infinite materials and trying to sell infinite finished products, but there's no item destruction
    Items only get destroyed if you salvage an item in attempt for getting some materials out of it
  • So game's economies are mostly broken because: carebears!

Since they whine and cry if they lose stuff, then there's no item destruction so there's no real economy and the auction houses are a flagrant proof of it
  • I am really trying hard to understand why you oppose this idea of grinding professions in ''free time'', especially in a mmo that has pvp drop loot. It gives so much more to the existing world if materials and consumables/gear is expensive, because you would take care of every penny as in IRL if you had to.... This gives MMO only good vibes, I don't see why is grinding bad?

What would you do in MMO open world if you did not do professions? Outside of events that can be very repetitive and boring from my point of view, doing professions isn't because its like IRL work, plus theres this thrill of getting ganked.
  • See, in vanilla wow economy did not collapse once, why? because devs set prices for items via vendors, well not every item but some mandatory like bags, so we had an idea of how much something would cost. Boring way of doing it, but limiting it is better then giving players full power and risking whole economy which happened in NW basically...

That is like if you were dictator that is all up for compassion and peace and stability and if you were very wise and knowledgeable, would you risk everything or make stability in your country?