Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Caravan blocade

If you want to prevent caravans running between two nodes, can you do that?
I assume a single party can attack it.

A group will be required to successfully attack a caravan.[4][26]

If defenders win, can you attack the caravan immediately with a 2nd group?
Then with a 3rd?
September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!

Comments

• Don't think we know? I'm not even sure how the process itself goes. Can people respawn? If yes, then where? And if they can't, then can you get resurrected after your death or do you immediately get thrown out of the attack/defense when you die.

It's all absolutely vague at this point. So pretty much the answer is the classic "wait till alpha2".
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    we do know, where you spawn the caravan can be dropped anywhere within an area, so you're not stuck taking 1 path only. Knowing that; physical blocking - probably not. Player cant take their own personal route through a forest instead of the roadway.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Best caravan footage shown so far. Mind you it is from Pre-alpha so some things have probably changed.
    Starts about 1:05:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwaYLOuw2s
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Strevi wrote: »
    Transporting the loot back to a storage should be riskier than driving a caravan.

This won't happen. That would create a strong reward for corruption, which they've already said they won't do. Caravans are opt-in PvP zones...clearing PvE dungeons are not. Killing green players to lay claim to an open world dungeon IS the reward itself. If someone has already cleared the dungeon and is now transporting goods back to storage, you're too late.

@superhero6785
    The game has risk vs reward as a core pillar.
    The purpose of being able to kill each other is to take the materials other players transport in their inventory. If that would be against the game philosophy, PvP could have an opt-in flag, like in New World.
    The corruption penalties are not suppose to act as the NW solution.

We do not know how corruption will be balanced. Maybe first kill will be just a light debuff and only after 2-3 kills a bounty hunter will see the red player. And only after 4-5 kills might the corrupt player drop items on death.

Transporting the loot back to a storage should be riskier than driving a caravan because players must see an advantage using the caravans when transporting the goods between nodes.

And there is at least one good reason: you can hire NPC guards.
    Hopefully those guards respawn to fight if the caravan is attacked 4-5 times on it's journey.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • As far as I am aware of it, there is no blockade intended, but it would be a fun little mechanic.

From what I know it is also not a single group can attack at a time, it just takes a group to engage in an action against or for the caravans safety.
    Players will be able to state their intentions to attack, defend or ignore via a user interface window.
    This sounds to me like when you are in a group and get into the proximity of a caravan you'll receive an automatic notification that let's you decide whether you want to attack defend or ignore the caravan. If you decide to attack or defend, you'll automatically be flagged for PvP meaning there would be no way to interact with a caravan and gain corruption from it. What's unclear is whether a player who decided to ignore the caravan (as in "clicked the option of "IGNORE" in the UI") can still attack - but even doing so would immediately flag them for PvP as the defenders are all flagged.

And there is a chance that ignoring the Caravan means you cannot participate in the fight at all like it will be in a different phase, visible but not interactable. Not sure about that though.

But yeah, being able to craft and lay out different traps on the route of caravans would be a fun addition.

The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited January 2023
    Strevi wrote: »
    Transporting the loot back to a storage should be riskier than driving a caravan because players must see an advantage using the caravans when transporting the goods between nodes.

Hopefully those guards respawn to fight if the caravan is attacked 4-5 times on it's journey.

I think you're misinformed as to the purpose of leaving in the ability to kill non-combatants in the first place. It's not to add extra risk to "PvE players". It's to allow a natural rise in tension and heated passion of the moment to take place from time to time. Those "acts of passion" have a cost. Corruption is specifically designed to thwart people from griefing non-combatants. Adding risk of losing all the loot you just got from a dungeon is not the intent for the system, and corruption will be balanced specifically to stop people from doing this on a regular basis.
    Caravans on the other had are a high-risk / high-reward part of the game. It's an opt-in PvP system where, if successful, you can make a LOT of money, and other players have the opportunity to steal those goods if they've got the skill to do so. In other words - you have your thinking completely backwards.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Maybe I should move on and find another game then. :neutral:
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Strevi - In Ashes, every place except the Open Seas has an opt-in PvP flag.
    If you attack me and I fail to opt-in for PvP and you kill me anyway, you will be punished with Corruption that is at least 2x the normal death penalties, the first time you kill me. And the penalities become increasingly

Even with Caravans, you opt-in to either defend or attack - but, by default, everyone is a Non-Combatant.

• novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited January 2023
    Dygz wrote: »
    Strevi - In Ashes, every place except the Open Seas has an opt-in PvP flag.
    If you attack me and I fail to opt-in for PvP and you kill me anyway, you will be punished with Corruption that is at least 2x the normal death penalties, the first time you kill me. And the penalities become increasingly

Even with Caravans, you opt-in to either defend or attack - but, by default, everyone is a Non-Combatant.

yes but let's not forget, I also get 50% of your loot after killing you if you didnt opt in to fight back, vs 25% or 0%
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Strevi wrote: »

I think you're misinformed as to the purpose of leaving in the ability to kill non-combatants in the first place. It's not to add extra risk to "PvE players". It's to allow a natural rise in tension and heated passion of the moment to take place from time to time. Those "acts of passion" have a cost. Corruption is specifically designed to thwart people from griefing non-combatants. Adding risk of losing all the loot you just got from a dungeon is not the intent for the system, and corruption will be balanced specifically to stop people from doing this on a regular basis.
    Caravans on the other had are a high-risk / high-reward part of the game. It's an opt-in PvP system where, if successful, you can make a LOT of money, and other players have the opportunity to steal those goods if they've got the skill to do so. In other words - you have your thinking completely backwards.

There is indeed something I've not noticed.

Certificates redeemed from distant economic regions via the caravan system will provide higher returns (4 to 5 times greater in some cases) than certificates collected from the same region.[1][3]

Based on wording, it could be that these certificates will drop in dungeons too and the game will prevent players to redeem the certificates if they are transported in player's own inventory.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No, i don't think it is prohibitive about whether you can sell or not. Only that prices will be higher per sale if its from a caravan.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    However, there will be Personal Caravans (https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Caravans#Personal_caravans) so you will be able to load up your mule and cross the map...carefully.