Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tower Challenge , Mount Races, Tavern Card Games

AruganArugan Member, Alpha One
I know a few games have this, YouTubers talked about this, and manga/anime has stuff like this.

It would be cool if Ashes of Creation implemented:

Tower Challenge: 25+ floors. Each floor is a challenge a boss or mobs. Every next floor is a more difficult level. For every level you complete, you get a reward. You get a unique reward(skin etc.) if you are the first to beat it or if you beat the fastest time.

Mount Races: Have races or challenges with obstacles (like fall guys) with your mounts. Jumping over rocks on a river of lava etc... Prices for the winners.

Tavern Games: I think having card games similar to what elder scrolls online have at taverns would be cool. Games within a game. Gameception!

I am sure the intrepid team has already thought of most of this or someone brought this up. I just wanted to bring this to light just in case.

Comments

• Tower challenges, I would absolutely love it.
  • Negatory on the Tavern Games until at least 5 years after go-live. I was very active in ESO and anticipated their new card game with great hopes. Crashed and Burned. No Joy. Waste of time.
  • Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited January 2023
    Tower Challenge: 25+ floors. Each floor is a challenge a boss or mobs. Every next floor is a more difficult level. For every level you complete, you get a reward. You get a unique reward(skin etc.) if you are the first to beat it or if you beat the fastest time.

Yes please, it would be cool if they could capture the "sword art online" vibe if they include this.

Mount Races: Have races or challenges with obstacles (like fall guys) with your mounts. Jumping over rocks on a river of lava etc... Prices for the winners.

Yes please, I would love pvp racing games- I think a large scale "marathon" type event would be awesome, with different forms of racing and obstacles included throughout.

Tavern Games: I think having card games similar to what elder scrolls online have at taverns would be cool. Games within a game. Gameception!

They are already planning to include tavern games.
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited January 2023
    I don't see tower challenge being compatible with Ashes in the way we hope.

All the tower will do is allow playerbase to secure a room to camp and grind since AoC isnt making dungeons like World of Warcraft.

Dungeons in Ashes isnt - enter and go thrrough point A to point Z while killing bosses along the way.

Dungeons in Ashes is open world and shared. Every room will have a group of players camping with "named" mobs that drops worthy loot/resources. Dungeons will be in the same vein as Everquest. So - "completing" a floor doesn't work. Having a floor be tier by levels maybe - but than we would have maybe 10 floors, every floor is increased by 5 levels.

Now what may be a potential is - a "boss" room ala Sword art online style. Most room will accommodate a group of 8 players. Each floor containing 10-20 groups but the boss room requires a raid size. Each Room has a "named" mob that drops a Puzzle piece (BIND ON PICKUP - NO TRADE). Very Low Drop Rate. Let's say a floor has 20 rooms - it can be 20 puzzle pieces or maybe 5 specific rooms or RNG on the floor but requires 5-20 pieces to complete the puzzle. Upon Completion - this is the key that opens the boss room.

This does few things:

It will be awhile before boss room opens up. Everyone will want to fight for this roll since it's a no drop, no trade item. You must collect all the pieces to unlock boss room. This will be time consuming. Pick up groups will have a different dynamic vs guild group designating 1 player to collect.

The Boss Room now requires a raid group to unlock the next floor. Only those allowed to enter must have the completed piece (if we wanna make it hard and SUPER INTRESTING) or have HALF the amount of the puzzle.

This breaks up the potential of guild specific going in. Players from all different guilds must now work together for their server to unlock the next floor.

Once the next floor is unlock - ALL players will have access.

BOSS ROOM - 1 time event*** - UNIQUE DROPS given to those who were allowed in to fight.

*** = This event can be repeated if the node has been de-leveled. A timer begins - 60 days - once 60 days has passed and it's back to it's node stage - the Tower arises. All previous floors unlocked is closed again.

So does the server want to constantly respawn it or try to clear all the floors?
    Something like this - completion of the entire tower should take years. Completing a floor should take months. Monumental milestones.

But more importantly - Recognition for the lucky Raid members. Each will come out like heroes. Some with VISUALLY PLEASING unique item (or mats to make a unique item) & a special title. Can these chosen heroes repeat it again on Floor 2? Or we will get new heroes entering floor 2 boss room and carving their name into the history books?

Raid Comp is also gonna be wild. Does your server have enough healers, or do you continue to wait - even though you got the numbers of players to enter - but lacking the healers needed. The server needs to work together and now ensure healers are getting keyed so everyone can progress to the 2nd floor.

So much room for drama and stories. Every server will be different.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
    Mount race - or just race can be community driven.

2 weeks ago in P99 (EQ private Server) we held our annual Gnome Race. Everyone makes lvl 1 gnomes and start at the gnome city and needed to run and find their way to Permafrost. No buffs or armor or anything. Pure Naked - no ports. The route is roughly 1hr 30 min run - avoid death and making sure you catch the boat (boat takes 44 min round trip, if you miss the boat, you pretty much instantly lose).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUq_3fUYpag

So something like that can be done by the players and GMs.
  • i love those kinds of mini games. refreshing to stop the grind for a moment and have a different kind of fun
  • They have actually showed us a dungeon in the game that is in a very tall tower.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Also something like the tower challange in wow legion would be super cool a difficult challange thats classed based that rewards wepon or amor skins
  • Voxtrium wrote: »
    They have actually showed us a dungeon in the game that is in a very tall tower.

that probs gonna be like tower of insolence in l2 and its just gonna be an open world dungeon for farming, questing and killing some bosses
  • AruganArugan Member, Alpha One
    @novercalis I was thinking more on the lines of a large tower at the starting areas. So a safe zone and no one can camp in it. Something similar to what @Akaime is describing. A single-player or maybe a group play tower challenge. That the difficulty goes up each level to the point the final floor will be incredibly hard to beat dark souls times x10 levels. Also for there to be a ranking board or whatever. To see who completed what and who did it the fastest and soonest.
    edited January 2023
    @novercalis yea something like that for mount racing would be cool. But an event organized by the game itself would be far more interesting. Having Pod races like in star wars movies but instead mount races. People can que in and watch maybe put bets. But the event has to prevent PVP or interference from outside people so no cheating.

The race has obstacles too like fall guys. lava or traps etc.

But this could take to much time from development so probably won't happen unless the community organizes it them selves like you said.
    Arugan wrote: »
    @novercalis I was thinking more on the lines of a large tower at the starting areas. So a safe zone and no one can camp in it. Something similar to what @Akaime is describing. A single-player or maybe a group play tower challenge. That the difficulty goes up each level to the point the final floor will be incredibly hard to beat dark souls times x10 levels. Also for there to be a ranking board or whatever. To see who completed what and who did it the fastest and soonest.

but the game isnt designed to allow that. Unless you make it as an instance and everyone will vote against that idea.
    Perhaps it is instance but the tower holds no real value, no loot or skins - just a challenge, recognition for solo players and solo players only via boards. Sure. But instance w/ loots will be a hard no.

With that - what you proposed - I am against. Especially safe zone.
    @novercalis yea something like that for mount racing would be cool. But an event organized by the game itself would be far more interesting. Having Pod races like in star wars movies but instead mount races. People can que in and watch maybe put bets. But the event has to prevent PVP or interference from outside people so no cheating.

The race has obstacles too like fall guys. lava or traps etc.

But this could take to much time from development so probably won't happen unless the community organizes it them selves like you said.

the moment you put something to prevent pvp - I'm against.
    Tower of Levels Challenge: @novercalis there are already safe zones. So it's not implementing new safe zones. All starting locations will be safe zones. So I am saying adding a building to the starting safe zones. Which would be a big old tower that has different levels.

Mount Racing: Well you can incorporate PVP into the mount racing but the point is for no interference from outside sources to reduce cheating. If PVP as in the riders can fight each other while riding, sure. But I don't think it would be any fun racing on a mount and having a random non-mounted army of people trying to kill me so their guildie can win the race. The most practical method for this is creating an instance/zone like an area to que up for and that is a big deadly race track and you can PVP, run dodge, etc and whoever makes it first wins.

Disclaimer:
    1. I am not a programmer so if these two features are hard to program and add then Ashes probably won't do it due to Ashes already having a billion features and systems.
    2. I am all for PVP and I am glad Ashes is sticking strong on their Risk vs Reward and PVX system.
    3. Just trying to bring light to some possibly cool ideas to introduce.
  • Arugan wrote: »
    Tower of Levels Challenge: novercalis there are already safe zones. So it's not implementing new safe zones. All starting locations will be safe zones. So I am saying adding a building to the starting safe zones. Which would be a big old tower that has different levels.
    I don't think we've heard any word on this being true. And iirc in alpha1 there was pvp right outside of the starting spawn, when the pvp was on.

And this doesn't seem to mention starting zones
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Safe_zones
    @nikr hhmmm.. I thought on a Live stream Steven said the Divine gateway areas or starting areas you cant pvp. Same with freehold areas. I probably just assumed and heard incorrectly. My bad.

I guess that would be a question to be answered then. Are free holds the only safe area...? But that should be on a different discussion thread.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You can kill on a freehold for a durational period after a lost siege/successful siege. The divine gateway not allowing pvp is news to me though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Tower of Levels Challenge: @novercalis there are already safe zones. So it's not implementing new safe zones. All starting locations will be safe zones. So I am saying adding a building to the starting safe zones. Which would be a big old tower that has different levels.

um no.

Only safe zones afiak are Player's own freehold (unless node siege) and stalls.
    Cities aren't 100% safe zones.
    Starting Locations aren't safe zones.
  • Arugan wrote: »
    I know a few games have this, YouTubers talked about this, and manga/anime has stuff like this.

It would be cool if Ashes of Creation implemented:

I am sure the intrepid team has already thought of most of this or someone brought this up. I just wanted to bring this to light just in case.

Playing a poker like game with my friends for coins and pipe-weed at the local tavern? Yes please.
  • Lost Ark's tower was a lot of fun, but it was fun because it was a source of one-time rewards. I think all towers are a fun challenge mostly because they are a loot pinata. If AoC progression needs a loot pinata, then Towers are a good format for it.

ESO's Maelstrom arena is tower-like. 10 "floors" each with a few waves and a boss, you run it solo. Several mechanics to deal with on each floor, and each run is timed. The draw here is that there is a leaderboard! Each class has a leaderboard for time-to-finish. The top finishers each week get a bonus piece of gear, but this could be a cosmetic or rare crafting ingredient for AoC

There is also a group based Dragonstar arena with a leaderboard.

I think a timed leaderboard setup is preferred as it gives replayability for a while as you perfect your run. Where a classic Tower is run just once, or once each cycle.

Racing...needs competition, leaderboards and rewards. I'd rather see something like race tickets where you get 3 tickets a day run the race for a "qualifying time". Then the top qualifiers get a Final race ticket that is held during server prime time. You can run the race of the day without a ticket anytime to practice the course or for a race with friends.

@Razor001 exactly! It would be cool just to go into a tavern and play some mini games ot kill some time while waiting for the rest of my friends to log in. Or waiting for a group to start a raid etc.

@Spif Yea that would be cool and a great idea. Leaderboard per class and rewards are only cosmetic to achieve. For those interested in transmog and showing your achievements.

and Yea same with racing. A competition with leaderboards. That is a cool idea for race tickets and those that make it to the finals are the ones that are shown and get special rewards and people can vote/bet who the think will win.
  • Bro, we don't even have a base game yet. chill for a bit
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I'm happy to report that Parlor Games (Tavern Games) are a confirmed feature of Ashes of Creation. You can read more about them here, on the wiki! https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Parlor_games

There will be an area called The Wreckage of Carphin. While it's not quite what you're describing, I thought I would share anyway ;)https://ashesofcreation.wiki/The_Wreckage_of_Carphin

Mount races are a suggestion I could see relating to our Event system, which you can learn more about here! https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Events
    community_management.gif