Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Sexualization of women from a woman's perspective

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    All this talks about skimpy outfits vs heroic armors, freedom of expression vs realism... yet all I ever wanted is an upside down fishbowl as a head wear costume so I can live out my dream as a space man. Sadly, it's only a dream, even in an MMO.

• Alazon said:
    OP *snipped*
    Sexualization of men in games.

Why most male characters in games have to have muscles and be strong?
    Why male characters can't have small thinny hands, be all thinny except for a belly, why can't they wear glasses for sight, etc.

Why male characters in games have to be sexualized as strong muscular macho men?

I know we men like to work out and look good, but why games sexualize us with solely such characters?

I myself am all for gender equality, so if a women can complain about sexualization, I believe a men have equal right too. ;)

B) 
  • Dygz said:
    As long as the male characters can be equally "sexy".
    If female characters can wear bikinis, male characters should be able to wear bikinis too.
    And, really male characters should also be able to wear dresses and skirts.
    OH MY GOD YES! 

GIVE MY EMPYREAN HIS SKIRT RIGHT THIS SECOND! 

(I always try to make my character appear as feminine as possible. This would literally make me so happy)
  • Gothix said:
    Alazon said:
    OP *snipped*
    Sexualization of men in games.

Why most male characters in games have to have muscles and be strong?
    Why male characters can't have small thinny hands, be all thinny except for a belly, why can't they wear glasses for sight, etc.

Why male characters in games have to be sexualized as strong muscular macho men?

I know we men like to work out and look good, but why games sexualize us with solely such characters?

I myself am all for gender equality, so if a women can complain about sexualization, I believe a men have equal right too. ;)

B) 
    I would definitely have a skinny, nerdy alt - if the option were available.
    He might end up being the one wearing a chainmail bikini!

• I love the look of that wizard outfit!
  • I don't think there is anything immersion breaking about sexy leather and cloth. I can understand for plate though.
    edited June 2017
    I think that everyone should be able to have their character look how they want. I would just guess that they are likely going to make equipment skins for purchase with real or virtual currency somewhat like Tera does.

Edit: I think that part of the reason they may make armor and what have you look at least semi functional is for due to the fact that there will be constant open world PvP so it would be beneficial to know what the person you're trying to attack is wearing. Granted this is the reason that I get equipment skins in other MMOs beside aesthetics Because if they don't know what you're wearing you're not as likely to be attacked.
  • I feel like I don't have much more to add since plenty of people seem to share my thoughts. Probably needless to say, but these are my thoughts on this as a grill. 

Sexy is ok. Less threads is ok. Less threads to the point of having nearly nothing at all? Ok! As long as you cover up the vital parts and make the costumes look as tailor made for the body as possible. Everything goes wrong when you add naked for the sake of just being naked. Everything goes wrong when the piece of armor looks like a one-size fits all Halloween costume.

As long as there is a real purpose behind why it shows that much skin, I'll defend it to my grave EVEN if I might not chose to wear it myself.
    Just a few quick thoughts on things people usually bring up:

Bikini: I would never go swimming irl in plate armor. In a siege for armor? I'd probably wear some more. Also, a bikini in metal so swim with? No thanks. Keep the bikini appropriate to it's intended function and all is good in my eyes.

Cleavage: I'm proud of my boobs irl, I am proud of the characters I make. No need to hide, no need to flaunt just for the sake of showing.  I'd sport a nice sexy cleavage in the summer when it's hot and hide in an oversized knitted sweater in the winter. It's all about how classy and confident you can look while sporting either one of them. I always get as much cosmetic items anyways, trust me to change it up with the seasons! 

Maid costumes: Totally ok as long as we stay clear of the cheap halloween section down aisle 5. Make the dress look like something someone honestly put in time, and  effort in and it will look nice. Also, I like maidcostumes because that means the males get that sweet sweet butler outfit : F 

High heels: YAAAAS, so much yes. I have a weakspot for shoes. High heels being my "I can't resist this" thing. Don't ask me how many I own irl. Not all outfits look good with heels so lets get some flats in there aswell.

Now, one of the reasons I play games is that I can be something that I can't be irl. 
    I can walk in heels, I can run in heels, but I can't swing a sword in them. Let me swing a sword in heels in the game!

Another point is that I can dress my characters up in a way I would never dress myself up in. Taking it to realistic is for -me- like losing a bit of the charm of not being irl anymore.

The key and red thread in my statements is "variation" and "options"  I respect those who don't share my view and hope they get to wear their preferences. If my they are allowed to stare another way, just like how it is irl~

Edit: I'm all for having my char looking skimpy as long as I don't look "cheap"  and I could make the choice to look that way myself. Let me show legs and beewbs!

Would I dress up my healer in that? YES!

This aswell. I would just skip the hat and maybe put on some shorts...

Example of cheap one-size-fits-all crap I can't defend. 
    https://images.gutefrage.net/media/fragen/bilder/cosplay-maid/0_big.jpg?v=1302344850000 <- would defend that concept thou.. 

• I feel like I don't have much more to add since plenty of people seem to share my thoughts. Probably needless to say, but these are my thoughts on this as a grill. 

Sexy is ok. Less threads is ok. Less threads to the point of having nearly nothing at all? Ok! As long as you cover up the vital parts and make the costumes look as tailor made for the body as possible. Everything goes wrong when you add naked for the sake of just being naked. Everything goes wrong when the piece of armor looks like a one-size fits all Halloween costume.

As long as there is a real purpose behind why it shows that much skin, I'll defend it to my grave EVEN if I might not chose to wear it myself.
    Just a few quick thoughts on things people usually bring up:

Bikini: I would never go swimming irl in plate armor. In a siege for armor? I'd probably wear some more. Also, a bikini in metal so swim with? No thanks. Keep the bikini appropriate to it's intended function and all is good in my eyes.

Cleavage: I'm proud of my boobs irl, I am proud of the characters I make. No need to hide, no need to flaunt just for the sake of showing.  I'd sport a nice sexy cleavage in the summer when it's hot and hide in an oversized knitted sweater in the winter. It's all about how classy and confident you can look while sporting either one of them. I always get as much cosmetic items anyways, trust me to change it up with the seasons! 

Maid costumes: Totally ok as long as we stay clear of the cheap halloween section down aisle 5. Make the dress look like something someone honestly put in time, and  effort in and it will look nice. Also, I like maidcostumes because that means the males get that sweet sweet butler outfit : F 

High heels: YAAAAS, so much yes. I have a weakspot for shoes. High heels being my "I can't resist this" thing. Don't ask me how many I own irl. Not all outfits look good with heels so lets get some flats in there aswell.

Now, one of the reasons I play games is that I can be something that I can't be irl. 
    I can walk in heels, I can run in heels, but I can't swing a sword in them. Let me swing a sword in heels in the game!

Another point is that I can dress my characters up in a way I would never dress myself up in. Taking it to realistic is for -me- like losing a bit of the charm of not being irl anymore.

The key and red thread in my statements is "variation" and "options"  I respect those who don't share my view and hope they get to wear their preferences. If my they are allowed to stare another way, just like how it is irl~

Edit: I'm all for having my char looking skimpy as long as I don't look "cheap"  and I could make the choice to look that way myself. Let me show legs and beewbs!

Would I dress up my healer in that? YES!

This aswell. I would just skip the hat and maybe put on some shorts...

Example of cheap one-size-fits-all crap I can't defend. 
    https://images.gutefrage.net/media/fragen/bilder/cosplay-maid/0_big.jpg?v=1302344850000 <- would defend that concept thou.. 

• -- comment decided to disappear in the void, so i'm rewriting everything --.-- ---

Hey Sam, thanks for the comment! I think I wasn't that clear with my previous message so I'll clarify a little:
    Well I have seen threads like this turn into a flame war and even though I can't feel what you feel when you see oversexualized females and can see why you get annoyed when you see that sort of imagery (I don't like horror movies or really disturbing imagery like torture) however I would like to kindly address some of you points:
    I personally don't mind to see a petite body dressed in a bikini or in a sexy outfit and I never felt less badass because of some revealing cloth
    So i'm not annoyed when I see "oversexualized" females, not even a bit! 

2.You are aware that in some MMO's and other games the whole skimpy outfits apply to Males right? Like you don't have to look really hard enough to find such things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQbd5W7VKh4&index=4&list=PLQcEfI3vHGEAszkg1lNCwtaVHIDvAm-gB 
    I'm putting down some assumptions on why you've addressed this to me, if they're wrong please let me know! I suppose you're asking me this because you thought I get annoyed by this same concept when it's applied to females (which I'm not as said above). I'm aware that games like this do exist, same for the outfits; I just don't see the problem with it (same for females ofc!).

1. In terms of variety I think you suggested is kinda odd like I would want more customization to be more like Fallout (it has cross-dressing) or MGSV and be in a realm where it doesn't go too much into the uncanny valley like not adding weird stuff like bearded females or long arms because people might lambaste it for being stupid and I know it's a fantasy game but if something goes way to off to the uncanny valley it starts to turn people basically.
    Y you're right I went totally out of the board with some of these personalizations :P It's just my opinion so don't take it badly: I don't think we should limit ourselves, blocking the possibility to have some stuff which are already present in the game (aka bearded women). You don't have to use it (I'm 99% I'm not gonna use it neither) but if someone wants to do it who are we to stop them? 

Concerning the long arms part I was a lot more imprecise and didn't explain properly; I'll take bdo as an example because it's the more vivid for me: in this game wizards have this standard to be old men no matter what; on the other side sorceress is supposed to have this standard gorgeous Megan Fox looking. The issue with this is that in the moment you want to make a young looking wizard or a japanese face for the sorceress you get a "barrier": it takes a lot of efforts to realize something like this because the game forces you inside these standards. I know people who got to have those two styles but it was a total pain for them (hours n hours of hard work). Why do we have to make people's life difficult when we can help them in creating what they want?

3. I like creativity aswell but sometime devs just can't do everything especially if they allow for full body customization because it's ALOT of time and effort to make sure that if you want to have very arms, you can wear anything in the game without breaking or looking weird, too stretch or compressed or even broken.
    Y when it comes to games and programming they'll face limits, that's inevitable. No problem with that, although imo it will be not that good to have just full armor clothes for men and bikinis for women - not because of gender inequality but because it will give 0 variety to my pg (not gonna happen, it's just an extreme example). I think they'll be able to give us different styles of clothing, even if they'll add them after the release to make sure everything is in place is not a problem a tall.
    Probably will support them buying some good clothes (if they'll stay far away from p2w and p2c stuffs, otherwise i'll do as i did in bdo: not buying a thing because i don't support these kind of stuff.
  • -- comment decided to disappear in the void, so i'm rewriting everything --.-- ---

Hey Sam, thanks for the comment! I think I wasn't that clear with my previous message so I'll clarify a little:
    Well I have seen threads like this turn into a flame war and even though I can't feel what you feel when you see oversexualized females and can see why you get annoyed when you see that sort of imagery (I don't like horror movies or really disturbing imagery like torture) however I would like to kindly address some of you points:
    I personally don't mind to see a petite body dressed in a bikini or in a sexy outfit and I never felt less badass because of some revealing cloth

2.You are aware that in some MMO's and other games the whole skimpy outfits apply to Males right? Like you don't have to look really hard enough to find such things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQbd5W7VKh4&index=4&list=PLQcEfI3vHGEAszkg1lNCwtaVHIDvAm-gB 
    I'm putting down some assumptions on why you've addressed this to me, if they're wrong please let me know! I suppose you're asking me this because you thought I get annoyed by this same concept when it's applied to females (which I'm not as said above). I'm aware that games like this do exist, same for the outfits; I just don't see the problem with it (same for females ofc!).

1. In terms of variety I think you suggested is kinda odd like I would want more customization to be more like Fallout (it has cross-dressing) or MGSV and be in a realm where it doesn't go too much into the uncanny valley like not adding weird stuff like bearded females or long arms because people might lambaste it for being stupid and I know it's a fantasy game but if something goes way to off to the uncanny valley it starts to turn people basically.
    Y you're right I went totally out of the board with some of these personalizations :P It's just my opinion so don't take it badly: I don't think we should limit ourselves, blocking the possibility to have some stuff which are already present in the game (aka bearded women). You don't have to use it (I'm 99% I'm not gonna use it neither) but if someone wants to do it who are we to stop them? 

Concerning the long arms part I was a lot more imprecise and didn't explain properly; I'll take bdo as an example because it's the more vivid for me: in this game wizards have this standard to be old men no matter what; on the other side sorceress is supposed to have this standard gorgeous Megan Fox looking. The issue with this is that in the moment you want to make a young looking wizard or a japanese face for the sorceress you get a "barrier": it takes a lot of efforts to realize something like this because the game forces you inside these standards. I know people who got to have those two styles but it was a total pain for them (hours n hours of hard work). Why do we have to make people's life difficult when we can help them in creating what they want?

3. I like creativity aswell but sometime devs just can't do everything especially if they allow for full body customization because it's ALOT of time and effort to make sure that if you want to have very arms, you can wear anything in the game without breaking or looking weird, too stretch or compressed or even broken.
    Y when it comes to games and programming they'll face limits, that's inevitable. No problem with that, although imo it will be not that good to have just full armor clothes for men and bikinis for women - not because of gender inequality but because it will give 0 variety to my pg (not gonna happen, it's just an extreme example). I think they'll be able to give us different styles of clothing, even if they'll add them after the release to make sure everything is in place is not a problem a tall.
    Probably will support them buying some good clothes (if they'll stay far away from p2w and p2c stuffs, otherwise i'll do as i did in bdo: not buying a thing because i don't support these kind of stuff.

• @Kavaju
    Decided not to directly quote as I'm still wary of the post eating monster...

I have to say I completely agree with you, especially on the heels part. God I love wearing heels in RL. Now if I could swing a sword in them in RL, I totally would! But seeming as that is out of the question, I wanna be able to do it here, in a HIGH FANTASY game (yes, the capital letters intended). And I completely understand the other point of view. A lot of people would not like to run around in high heels while fighting, so this should also be possible to avoid for those with this opinion.

Now I do agree that bunny costumes can look strange and "break immersion" in a medieval-ish styled game (which this looks to be, I think? Correct me if I'm wrong). This is my personal opinion. In that case, give more options of styles that do suit the world, but without limiting it to only a certain group of people's liking. I see people here only wanting "complete body covering armour with flat shoes". And this can be great for some people. Other people, like me, very much enjoy looking very feminine in dresses, heels and tight-fitting outfits. A character does not need to look overly sexualized while wearing such clothes, keyword like Kavaju mentioned is "class". I honestly do not understand why more options would be a bad thing.

To summarize my thoughts; like I stated in my previous comment on this topic, I think variety and choice is key. Different individuals like different clothing styles in RL, and this will be reflected in the game too. So, why not cater to different styles instead of limiting it to a certain one and having a lot of people getting disappointed over such a choice?

Also, love the first picture from Aion, so beautiful! <3
  • @nagash
    Ah ha! I see your Necrobug is back to plague the forums again!!!!
    edited June 2017
    @Kavaju

Decided not to directly quote as I'm still wary of the post eating monster...
    I have to say I completely agree with you, especially on the heels part. God I love wearing heels in RL. Now if I could swing a sword in them in RL, I totally would! But seeming as that is out of the question, I wanna be able to do it here, in a HIGH FANTASY game (yes, the capital letters intended). And I completely understand the other point of view. A lot of people would not like to run around in high heels while fighting, so this should also be possible to avoid for those with this opinion.

Also, love the first picture from Aion, so beautiful! <3

Now I do agree that bunny costumes can look strange and "break immersion" in a medieval-ish styled game (which this looks to be, I think? Correct me if I'm wrong). This is my personal opinion. In that case, give more options of styles that do suit the world, but without limiting it to only a certain group of people's liking. I see people here only wanting "complete body covering armour with flat shoes". And this can be great for some people. Other people, like me, very much enjoy looking very feminine in dresses, heels and tight-fitting outfits. A character does not need to look overly sexualized while wearing such clothes, keyword like Kavaju mentioned is "class". I honestly do not understand why more options would be a bad thing.

To summarize my thoughts; like I stated in my previous comment on this topic, I think variety and choice is key. Different individuals like different clothing styles in RL, and this will be reflected in the game too. So, why not cater to different styles instead of limiting it to a certain one and having a lot of people getting disappointed over such a choice?

• As long as the armour fits the lore and setting, there shouldn't be a problem. You don't pick up a fantasy MMO for the realism.
    edited June 2017
    @nirablade you posted 10 times? wow. you have a lot of patience.
    and about the topic, There is a very clear line between sexual and downright idiotic design. I'll take three examples from TERA, to tell you what I mean.
    first off, take what is basically every heavy armor worn by a female character. most of them look like metal bikinis, and some look like broken metal bikinis.and you can see boob jiggles. that actually shows how impractical the armor is. 
    Second, along the gameplay I got a costume with something to do with heavy snowfall, can't exactly remember the name. it looked like a jacket, but showing all the skin in the middle. These armors will do everything OTHER than what they are supposed to do(protect you from attacks and cold repectively), so that kinda makes no sense.
    The other thing I wanted to mention was the cowgirl costume I won. while it shared quite a few traits like showing off a large amount of skin, looking basically like a cloth bikini with a couple of extra strips, I liked it, because it allowed actually looked like what a cowgirl might consider wearing.(maybe a proper jacket on the top, but meh. it still fits! and so well too!)
    I would guess light armor and cloth armors can possibly get away with oversexualising, but regular or heavy armor? Nope, not allowed.
    oh that reminds me, while we are about it, I think the character's armor should be overridden by a swimsuit when they jump into water, because, common sense?
    they armor returns when they are out of water.
    similarly, the heavy armor weilders should also lose a little bit of speed, but gain a lot of defense. so we actually see some practical choices made, instead of being like- if you don't know what to use, use a heavy armor!-nope. that is NOT how things work. heavy armor is meant for mitigation tanks and other people who REQUIRE it.
  • As long as the armour fits the lore and setting, there shouldn't be a problem. You don't pick up a fantasy MMO for the realism.

edited June 2017
    I dunno about you guys, but authentic medieval underwear is sexy!

• In the end does it matter its a Fantasy Setting we got Orc, elf, humans, demon, angels running around

Seeing we can wear any piece of amour we want there wont be class bound gear i think lets just keep all the looks in people that want to run around in full plate do so, you want to run around in a bikini do so. want your male wear a dress make it so.
  • As a female,  I do not care.  Some of the outfits are quite hilarious. It's a game.  Get offended elsewhere.