Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ideas for types of Tanks

Since the tank update is coming, here are some ideas that I had for a while about types of tanks:

-Tank with Heavy CC: A tank who has lots of ways to CC enemies like roots, staggers
-Magic Mitigation Tank: A tank that focuses more on protecting the team from magic damage rather than physical
-Projectile Block Tank: A tank that focuses more on stopping projectiles on their way
-Damage threat Tank: A tank with more DPS that builds threat by dealing damage, and the better the damage output the better the tanking
-Evasion Tank: A tank that focuses on dodges and dashes to protect itself from harm
-Ranged Tank: A tank that is ranged

Do you have any other ideas for Tank types?

Comments

• So a
    Tank/Bard
    Tank/Mage
    Tank/Tank
    Tank/Fighter
    Tank/Rogue
    Tank/Ranger
    Deba wrote: »
    I'd suggest a
    Tank/Cleric
    Tank/Summoner
  • NiKr wrote: »
    So a
    Tank/Bard
    Tank/Mage
    Tank/Tank
    Tank/Fighter
    Tank/Rogue
    Tank/Ranger
    I'd suggest a
    Tank/Cleric
    Tank/Summoner[/

So a paladin and idk for summoner
  • Deba wrote: »
    So a paladin and idk for summoner
    Yes :)
  • I'm still interested to know if there are other ways a tank could be a tank. Does what I say sum up all the ways a tank could be?
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Since the tank update is coming, here are some ideas that I had for a while about types of tanks:

-Tank with Heavy CC: A tank who has lots of ways to CC enemies like roots, staggers
    -Magic Mitigation Tank: A tank that focuses more on protecting the team from magic damage rather than physical
    -Projectile Block Tank: A tank that focuses more on stopping projectiles on their way
    -Damage threat Tank: A tank with more DPS that builds threat by dealing damage, and the better the damage output the better the tanking
    -Evasion Tank: A tank that focuses on dodges and dashes to protect itself from harm

I like that type of direction. The only worry is overspecializing if it gets too restrictive. It would be great for Tanks in general to be good at all of those things, but a specialty makes them amazing in their specific area.

• Diamaht wrote: »

I like that type of direction. The only worry is overspecializing if it gets too restrictive. It would be great for Tanks in general to be good at all of those things, but a specialty makes them amazing in their specific area.

I agree with that, I think that a tank shouldn't be restricted of using all other things just because it's specialized more in one aspect
    I'm still interested to know if there are other ways a tank could be a tank. Does what I say sum up all the ways a tank could be?
    In case my poor attempt at a joke went over your head - you've listed pretty much what Ashes is already going for with their augments and class system. You were just missing 2 classes, though your "projectile" tank could be seen as the tank/summoner who sends his summons to other players to protect them from incoming projectiles.

But yes, in a way that's pretty much as far as you can go with tanks. Tank is probably one of the most limited classes because their task is quite singular - absorb damage instead of others. Any other role can be taken up by someone else. And the singularity of that role limits the range of what you can do with the class.
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    NiKr wrote: »
    I'm still interested to know if there are other ways a tank could be a tank. Does what I say sum up all the ways a tank could be?
    In case my poor attempt at a joke went over your head - you've listed pretty much what Ashes is already going for with their augments and class system. You were just missing 2 classes, though your "projectile" tank could be seen as the tank/summoner who sends his summons to other players to protect them from incoming projectiles.

But yes, in a way that's pretty much as far as you can go with tanks. Tank is probably one of the most limited classes because their task is quite singular - absorb damage instead of others. Any other role can be taken up by someone else. And the singularity of that role limits the range of what you can do with the class.

Well they have listed the sub-classes by name but the details are still vague. I think OP is suggesting a solid way to differentiate these sub-classes. It's a method for differentiating the classes in a way other than cosmetic or theme.

I think what he is asking at the end (and correct me Deba if I'm wrong); What other ideas for differentiating the classes do you guys have?

I'm pretty bad at understanding jokes so it's my fault for being a bloke :D but I understand what you're saying. I don't know much about tanks but I think you're right. Tanks are for absorbing damage.
    But I've come up with these ideas because of an experience with me being an ice mage in wow, and saving my teammates who pulled threat by rooting in place mobs, and giving the tank time to aggro. That was very satisfying and I wish ice mage could be a tank. I haven't seen mages as tanks so far so I thought it would be an interesting idea. I also would like to think that as a tank, you jump in front of the danger and block it all to protect your teammates
    I haven't seen mages as tanks so far so I thought it would be an interesting idea.
    Lineage 2 had a "mage" tank. I've won several pvp fights by using its magic abilities instead of just hitting someone with a sword.

Here's a list of its abilities
    http://l2j.ru/index.php?p=27&t=1&ty=3&sty=skills&id=33&lev=100
  • Diamaht wrote: »

Well they have listed the sub-classes by name but the details are still vague. I think OP is suggesting a solid way to differentiate these sub-classes. It's a method for differentiating the classes in a way other than cosmetic or theme.

I think what he is asking at the end (and correct me Deba if I'm wrong); What other ideas for differentiating the classes do you guys have?

In a way yeah, I don't know if it's solid, but the more ideas there are, the more options there will be to choose from when working on the classes
    I haven't seen mages as tanks so far so I thought it would be an interesting idea.
    Lineage 2 had a "mage" tank. I've won several pvp fights by using its magic abilities instead of just hitting someone with a sword.

Here's a list of its abilities
    http://l2j.ru/index.php?p=27&t=1&ty=3&sty=skills&id=33&lev=100

That looks like a solid mage tank, i think. What do you think of having something like that in AoC?
    That looks like a solid mage tank, i think. What do you think of having something like that in AoC?
    I expect Tank/Mage to be pretty much the same in function. Which is why I think that AoC already covers most, if not all, tank variations. Well, that is if they can make the augment system interesting and deep.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I had a lot of fun on my Sorcerer Tank in ESO. I had summoned Armour and wore light armour. I could do a lot of varied damage and control threat a little less than an actual tank but the functionalities worked and the experience was awesome. I wasn't optimal but I was effective.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Gui10Gui10 Member
    edited January 2023
    So a
    Tank/Bard
    Tank/Mage
    Tank/Tank
    Tank/Fighter
    Tank/Rogue
    Tank/Ranger
    I'd suggest a
    Tank/Cleric
    Tank/Summoner

What you've detailed as possible tanks types is incorrect. Maint tank abilities will have more to say in the type of tank than the augments, likely.

I'm sure some will specialize more in AoE and some more on single target.

• Gui10 wrote: »
    What you've detailed as possible tanks types is incorrect. Maint tank abilities will have more to say in the type of tank than the augments, likely.
    I mean, yes, but those are all "tank", so they will all have the same skillset among them. And the things the OP listed roughly fit the potential augments of the classes I listed. If just being a tank is enough to cover all of the things in the OP - I see no point in even having augments or classes.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    In case you missed it, there is a helpful image on this page on the wiki, with all of the class combinations!
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes
    community_management.gif
  • "NPC Tank".

I'd love for this bland and unappealing gameplay class, if it must be added ("so sayeth the mmo bible"!), to perform and perfectly illustrate its potential disturbances and support in the background while everyone else is playing real classes with real hp and defenses and the good ol warrior can engage, much like most good thought up fantasies!
  • I think a Tank/Bard could be also a tank with beneficial tanking buffs. Since there's also Bard/Tank, I've been thinking that a good way to differentiate the 2 would be by making the Tank/Bard have beneficial buffs for the survivability of the frontline and the Bard/Tank have beneficial buffs for the backline.

Since in the wiki it says that summons can CC, ill say that Tank/Summoners are probably gonna be good at CC as well. In the AoC wiki it says that a Tank/Summoner is called a Keeper which I think is ambiguous. To me, Keeper sounds like the kind of guy who summons one strong dude instead of more. But maybe we could also see something resembling a 300 spartan warriors kind of summon.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Wouldn`t a Tank/Ranger be a contradiction in classes?
  • akabear wrote: »
    I feel like this would be a mobile tank. Maybe even an evasion one. And depending on other augment schools, "rangeriness" might not even come into play in that class.

You become captain America, and start throwing shields at your enemies.
  • Since in wiki it says that a ranger's raison d'etre is range, there has to be at least an improvement in range on some abilities. Maybe we could see a Tank/Ranger as a tank with more AoEs , mobility and evasion. Maybe it will be easier for the Tank/Ranger to pull and redirect aggro from further away. Also a Tank/Ranger type is called a Warden. Does that hint to you anything? Do we put people in jail as a Tank/Ranger?
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The old statement was that any Tank/x can tank. You only need a tank primary like cleric primary for healer. However, a lot of feedback has been given and the rules might have changed.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Since in wiki it says that a ranger's raison d'etre is range, there has to be at least an improvement in range on some abilities. Maybe we could see a Tank/Ranger as a tank with more AoEs , mobility and evasion. Maybe it will be easier for the Tank/Ranger to pull and redirect aggro from further away. Also a Tank/Ranger type is called a Warden. Does that hint to you anything? Do we put people in jail as a Tank/Ranger?

Sure, why not?

That's a valid Tank type too.

It should be impossible for every Tank/X to tank every enemy equally 'well' if using the same strategy. And since I would hope you don't have 'absolute freedom of strategy' against every opponent, that's going to be the decider fairly often.

I'm rapidly learning that people are used to the type of Tank I hate the most and therefore don't really think about how this could work, but I'm hoping to see something in Tank Showcase that makes it clear we're not dealing with that limited tanking style.

I feel like this is going to be the dealbreaker for a lot of people, assuming Intrepid actually shows enough for anyone to make any real judgement on it to begin with.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

Maybe, but then I got to thinking taunting with a bow is really useful, especially against casters.
  • StalwartStalwart Member
    edited January 2023
    I think a Tank/Bard could be also a tank with beneficial tanking buffs. Since there's also Bard/Tank, I've been thinking that a good way to differentiate the 2 would be by making the Tank/Bard have beneficial buffs for the survivability of the frontline and the Bard/Tank have beneficial buffs for the backline.

Since in the wiki it says that summons can CC, ill say that Tank/Summoners are probably gonna be good at CC as well. In the AoC wiki it says that a Tank/Summoner is called a Keeper which I think is ambiguous. To me, Keeper sounds like the kind of guy who summons one strong dude instead of more. But maybe we could also see something resembling a 300 spartan warriors kind of summon.

Yeah I want a buff tank. It's my favorite type in large organized groups. You buff and debuff depending on when you need the group to burn or survive through mechanics. It's imo generally the best role for a tank since they won't be dishing out damage or healing in a large capacity.
  • StalwartStalwart Member
    edited January 2023
    Iskiab wrote: »
    akabear wrote: »

Maybe, but then I got to thinking taunting with a bow is really useful, especially against casters.

I've played many types of raids where a range tank is ideal. It's usually to mitigate boss mechanics. You don't use a bow but you do use a ranged taunt.

Could also be used as a kite tank, which usually is seen to cheese some kind of mechanic as an OT. It could be legit if the planned that way though.