Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gliding Mounts

I know that Intrepid have talked about having a very few amount of flying mounta at one time on a server, but I think a very cool thing to add would be something of a gliding mount that any player can have. Of course there would be draw backs so that not everyone is going to only use the gliders, such as lower base movement speed compared to other mounts such as with water mounts on land. But it could just be a very cool variety to add to the game. Or even have gliders just very hard to unlock but still you can just own them? Because I could only see gliders being very good in mountain type biomes after you climb to the top.

Comments

• BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »

Unfortunately that wiki page is literally 3 dot points with much to be desired in terms of actual gameplay impact and design vision :cry:

I dropped a question asking for more information about Gliding Mounts into this months Q&A thread so hopefully we'll have more stuff to add to that page *soon*.
  • Botagar wrote: »
    Unfortunately that wiki page is literally 3 dot points with much to be desired in terms of actual gameplay impact and design vision :cry:

I dropped a question asking for more information about Gliding Mounts into this months Q&A thread so hopefully we'll have more stuff to add to that page *soon*.
    I mean, I'm not quite sure what else needs to be said about them. They're mounts and they glide.
    From my QnA thread post:
    Botagar wrote: »
    Gliding Mounts: What is the design space being considered for these?
    For instance, will some gliding mount have the ability for short bursts of upwards movement for more dynamic maneuvering?
    Will they be locked 2 feet off the ground as "floating" only mounts?
    What kinds of gliding mounts do you envision and how will they play?

Will we be able to fight from a gliding mount? Like dropping bombs on stuff or something in a siege.
    Why would I want to say ride a mount that floats 2ft off the ground vs one that glides through the air?
    Will there be things like updrafts that allow us to gain altitude whilst gliding? Any other skills that might be usable? Arial survey?

There's lots that's not covered in those 3 dot points!

FYI, my bias is that I want to see gliding mounts be something similar to the GW2 "flying" mounts.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    edited January 2023
    FYI, my bias is that I want to see gliding mounts be something similar to the GW2 "flying" mounts.
    I think that's the issue here. When I hear "gliding" I don't immediately go "but do they fly though?"

Gliding is gliding. You find an elevated location. You jump and glide. You land on the ground and then run.

Iirc we've heard Steven say that the flying mounts on the stream are pretty much just gliding mount models, but flying.

And considering that AA is one of the inspirations, I'm imagining smth like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoFGbi0RGXM

There's even a small "jump up" in the air on a cd.
    I think that's the issue here. When I hear "gliding" I don't immediately go "but do they fly though?"

Gliding is gliding. You find an elevated location. You jump and glide. You land on the ground and then run.

Iirc we've heard Steven say that they flying mounts on the stream are pretty much just gliding mount models, but flying.

And considering that AA is one of the inspirations, I'm imagining smth like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoFGbi0RGXM

There's even a small "jump up" in the air on a cd.

From what I can tell, the intent of gliding moutns isn't set in stone yet, and that's what I want to tease out of Stehpen. Is he set in that way. If so, then ok, its his game overall.
    If he's not set and is still open to discussion, well, let me ask you. For the highest tier of NON royal aerial mounts, do you want them to function just like fleshy gliders?
    Because I personally believe the more dynamic movements of the GW2 mounts feel good. It feels like you are actually riding something alive. And fundamentally even these GW2 mounts the average glide slope is down. You cannot gain long term altitude with them, so at its core, i see it as a gliding-ish mount.

But again, i just want Stephen to come out and clearly state the design decision for these, or state that its still not formed yet and they are open to feedback.

I enjoy aerial movement, will probably never get hold of a royal mount, so I'm putting forth my opinion and feedback to try move the needling towards a model i know i enjoy. Nothing more than that :smile:
    If he's not set and is still open to discussion, well, let me ask you. For the highest tier of NON royal aerial mounts, do you want them to function just like fleshy gliders?
    Pretty much. Just a glider that can also run on the ground (slower than a good ground mount). The quality would just determine speed of gliding and maybe the cd of the "jump", if they add it (I personally couldn't care either way).

I don't really care for flairs or air tricks or whatever. All I need from a gliding mount is to let me jump off a roof or a mountain and diagonally get down to the ground.
  • My biggest thing is that I don't want the mechanic for if you were to get a flying mount egg, then you must hatch it at a high level stable from the animal husbandry perk, because I could see that leading to problems with players who are into the animal husbandry system are the only ones with flying mounts. I think the best thing is that with the royal stables building in some cities, you just go there and boom you hatch your mount and now can fly it.

I also find it weird that in discussion with flying mounts. The tier 3 mounts can only fly for about 20-30 minutes, I thought they would be able to fly indefinitely but I guess it's good because if you can only takeoff from the royal stables, it helps balance out the flying mounts in game.
    edited January 2023
    Mojave wrote: »
    My biggest thing is that I don't want the mechanic for if you were to get a flying mount egg, then you must hatch it at a high level stable from the animal husbandry perk, because I could see that leading to problems with players who are into the animal husbandry system are the only ones with flying mounts. I think the best thing is that with the royal stables building in some cities, you just go there and boom you hatch your mount and now can fly it.

Are you talking about the royal mounts here?
    Because if so, even if you had a royal mount egg, don't you need to be one of those 10 'royal' people to actually make use of it? Otherwise you'd be better of selling it to one of those who can actually fly. Sorry, my brain died trying to follow that other flying mount thread so not sure what info surfaced there.
    Pretty much. Just a glider that can also run on the ground (slower than a good ground mount). The quality would just determine speed of gliding and maybe the cd of the "jump", if they add it (I personally couldn't care either way).

I don't really care for flairs or air tricks or whatever. All I need from a gliding mount is to let me jump off a roof or a mountain and diagonally get down to the ground.

Well, I guess we fundamentally differ on this, and that's ok.
    Just curious though, have you had a go with the GW2 mounts before? Or GW2 gliding?
    Because if so, even if you had a royal mount egg, don't you need to be one of those 10 'royal' people to actually make use of it? Otherwise you'd be better of selling it to one of those who can actually fly. Sorry, my brain died trying to follow that other flying mount thread so not sure what info surfaced there.
    Fairly sure the eggs are separate from the castle/metro stuff. It's just a way to get the non-royal people flying.
    Just curious though, have you had a go with the GW2 mounts before? Or GW2 gliding?
    Nope. I tried starting GW2, but barely got past the first quest :D Maybe I'll get further one of these days. I know that GW2 is supposed to have some cool flying mount mechanics. So cool that WoW even copied them. But outside of a gliding functionality I just wouldn't really care for them.

And I'd prefer if the game didn't have reupping winds or other mechanics that could make people effectively fly all over the place. GW2's world was built with that kind of feature in mind (at least I'd assume it was), while the whole point of super limited flying in Ashes is to keep the world feeling small. If all the people could just go gliding super fast across the lands, it'll go right against the design of the game.
    edited January 2023
    Fairly sure the eggs are separate from the castle/metro stuff. It's just a way to get the non-royal people flying.
    Wait what?! I though you had to be Royal or Mayor of a Metro for flight. Otherwise the mount will just be a T2 Gliding mount.
    From the wiki: Royal mounts are capable of true flight when utilized by Mayors of metropolis nodes or Kings and Queens of Guild castles.[4][5]

Nope. I tried starting GW2, but barely got past the first quest :D Maybe I'll get further one of these days. I know that GW2 is supposed to have some cool flying mount mechanics. So cool that WoW even copied them. But outside of a gliding functionality I just wouldn't really care for them.

And I'd prefer if the game didn't have reupping winds or other mechanics that could make people effectively fly all over the place. GW2's world was built with that kind of feature in mind (at least I'd assume it was), while the whole point of super limited flying in Ashes is to keep the world feeling small. If all the people could just go gliding super fast across the lands, it'll go right against the design of the game.

Haha fair. Even if you got to lvl 80, GETTING the flying mounts is a PAAAAAINNNN.
    And yeah, the later maps were designed with gliders and mounts in mind, but the earlier ones not so much.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    edited January 2023
    Wait what?! I though you had to be Royal or Mayor of a Metro for flight. Otherwise the mount will just be a T2 Gliding mount.
    From the wiki: Royal mounts are capable of true flight when utilized by Mayors of metropolis nodes or Kings and Queens of Guild castles.[4][5]
    Listen to that fifth reference. Steven mentions castles and metros and then says "in addition to those, we'll have droppable eggs, so a few more players will have access to the flying mounts". So unless something changed in design, I'd assume that people will be able to use the metro's royal stables to use their flying mount.

Also, in the 7th reference Steven says there might be up to 20 players on the server with flying mounts and there'd only be 10 royal people. And that's from 2020, so I think that design hasn't really changed throughout the years.
    Oh thanks for pointing that out @NiKr .
    I kinda feel like wiki page could be worded a bit better :sweat_smile:
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited January 2023
    ICYMI, here is an example of a mount gliding

This can be found on the wiki ;)https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Gliding_mounts
    community_management.gif
  • So with that, from what steven said, it sounds like some just normal obtainable mounts can glide, but if you get the egg from a raid boss, or the mayor or king system, then it can fly. So the same mount can either fly or glide which I think is cool.