Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How do you want loot drops to be given in raids?

MojaveMojave Member
edited January 2023 in General Discussion
Would you guys rather have it as a system where less items drop and have the need or greed system, or would you guys rather have it that everyone in the raid gets randomized loot drops?

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Go, dice roll!
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dice roll. Need, greed or pass.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »

I never played a lot of old school mmorpg games with that system, but what makes the need or greed system better where only some people get loot compared to everyone getting loot but rarer drops having a lower percentage to drop compared to more common items?
    Mojave wrote: »
    Neurath wrote: »

I never played a lot of old school mmorpg games with that system, but what makes the need or greed system better where only some people get loot compared to everyone getting loot but rarer drops having a lower percentage to drop compared to more common items?

Speed of gearing and acquisition, social aspects and 'the social contract' is stronger, capacity for extended interaction based around teamwork and a way to help people notice who is with them as a friend/ally vs 'I'm here for mine'.

Basically you have to make the drops worth much less if everyone gets them, lessening the 'dopamine hit' and certain feelings of reward, while in SOME cases lessening the grouping and feeling of teamwork.

It's one of those 'artificial hardships' put into an RPG for people to overcome together and have that experience.

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I want them to drop on the ground, with nice 3d designs and faint white sparkles, and watch people spam the /pickup button.

I want the raidgroup that dealt the most dmg to have a 10s priority in picking up, which would result in all other people receiving a system message when they try to pick up the loot "You do not meet the conditions for this action".

Just like in L2.
  • I'm used to guilds that already know how they'll distribute the loot even before they kill the boss, no matter what drops from the boss. So I just prefer small drop chances and fully randomized loot (within a preset number of potential options).

As for the choices on the side of players as to how they want to get the loot - make it all optional and make the party/raid vote on the choice.
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I want them to drop on the ground, with nice 3d designs and faint white sparkles, and watch people spam the /pickup button.

I want the raidgroup that dealt the most dmg to have a 10s priority in picking up, which would result in all other people receiving a system message when they try to pick up the loot "You do not meet the conditions for this action".

Just like in L2.

geee, let me write a bot script to insta loot the corpse.

See - Ultima Online when loot was FFA.

We know botting is gonna be an issue AoC is going to be addressing, giving these people also the power to bot ninja loot is... well... GG.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 2023
    What instaloot? You need to be near the dropped items. You also need to be in the raid with the highest dps to loot within the exclusive 10s priority. Loot isnt ffa.
    Yall think you know better than developers when it comes to coding.
    How come nobody hired you then?
    Learn to read peoples posts first.
  • I also am interested in how world bosses will work, I know Steven said that the group with the highest dps will get the loot priority, but what if it's just a bunch of random people that walked over to it or something? Is it just who dealt the most damage gets the loot?
  • Mojave wrote: »
    I also am interested in how world bosses will work, I know Steven said that the group with the highest dps will get the loot priority, but what if it's just a bunch of random people that walked over to it or something? Is it just who dealt the most damage gets the loot?
    Yes, if somehow a single person can outdamage a party of people - they'll get the loot.

I am curious how Intrepid would design the possibility of several randos attacking the boss w/o party, but then partying up right before the kill. Will it just add together their dps and consider the party to be the rightful owners of loot or will it be smth else. I'd imagine it's the former.
  • I prefer limited drops, with the raid leader able to set the loot rules to need/greed dice rolls or master looter. And some sort of mechanic where the raid leader can't change it from dice rolls to master looter last second without the entire raid accepting it.

I don't mind if everyone gets a little participation trophy as long as it's minor. Like a nice dragon steak from the dragon they can go home and cook in celebration of the kill.
  • I think just like Intrepid wants for the UI of the game, it would be best to have different options. If you group agrees to a loot master, a loot master it is. People want need/greed/pass with dice rolls - then that's what its going to be.

You could have a vote system at the beginning of the dungeon, where every member gets to cast their vote and the majority decides on the loot mechanic for this round. It is locked in and cannot be changed unless the group is completely disbanded and reestablished, but now the vote needs to be done again.

Regarding drops, I think it is reasonable to distribute looting rights by contribution - so the more damage a tank has taken, the more HP a healer has healed and the more damage a DD has done in that fight the higher the contribution and the more loot you can get from the boss.

Even though that means that better geared and more skilled players will get a bigger piece of the pie, I don't think when it comes to looting it will become any better than that, the rest is up to contesting the dungeon in general which is a completely separate topic.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Personally I dislike the drama that comes with deciding who gets what during loot distribution in raids. So when it comes to raids I prefer personalized loot to avoid all of the BS.

That being said, I hope they create in game loot systems for raids and guilds such as DKP and Merit Systems for guilds to mold loot systems to their needs without relying on outside sources.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • The biggest thing Im worried about is with master looter and egg drops, with egg drops I feel like the guild leader is always going to get it, tbh Id rather have need or greed rather than master looter so everyone has a fair chance at the juicy loot
    Mojave wrote: »
    The biggest thing Im worried about is with master looter and egg drops, with egg drops I feel like the guild leader is always going to get it, tbh Id rather have need or greed rather than master looter so everyone has a fair chance at the juicy loot

The usual answer to this is 'don't join/stay in guilds with leaders like that'.

Unfortunately for most players, a designer usually has to design towards the macroscopic view of the game, so any given person individually being screwed over by a bad actor, is solved by 'having that person just try to bounce back from it'.

This is simply because people who DON'T plan to use tools like Master Looter in a bad way, need the option.

tl;dr that's a social problem that the player must solve themselves because it is someone using 'a feature that is meant as a QoL buff to the social contract, being abused by someone who disrespects such 'social contract'.

• VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I was surprised to see all these differing opinions! Some helpful anecdotes too :)
    community_management.gif