Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Next Livestream + Q&A Submission - Friday, January 27, 2023 at 1pm Pacific

124»

Comments

• How close are we to being able to play with the Character Creator?
  • JayGeL44JayGeL44 Member
    edited January 2023
    Will there be gear score or some metric to qualitatively quantitatively measure overall item/player power? (Please say no.)
  • Will all classes handle the same type of weapon in the same way? For example, would a bard use a hammer in the same way as a tank would or would a tank use a knife in the same way as an assasin would?
  • Would a guild composed solely of summoners be viable in PVE ?
  • With mount skins being available to buy, would that not negatively affect Animal Husbandry, considering one of the main draws to the profession is the ability to create unique looking mounts?
  • Are there going to be 8 different types of tanks, corresponding to the 8 secondary classes?
  • General Inquiry- how many characters can I create on one account? I want to have a character for each and every class and subclass which makes it 64 characters.
  • When a player approaches a player caravan will they be given the character and/or guild name of the caravan owner before deciding whether to attack or defend?
  • The name chosen for the archetype "Tank" is debated. For some people, including myself, the term "Tank" lacks fantasy and is even ridiculous.

Have you thought of reconsidering the vocabulary used to designate this archetype in order to make it more appropriate and integrated into the history of AOC?
  • Will there be a character name generator to match race and culture and story line? Games without a name generator end up with names like: "Number2 Pencil" or "Four Que" or "dk38UgWcj".
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited January 2023
    Hello again glorious Ashes of Creation community! Thank you to everyone who stopped by and shared a question with us for this month’s stream. Q&A submissions are now closed, and we’ll see you at 11AM Pacific on Friday for our livestream!

twitch.tv/ashesofcreation
    community_management.gif
  • AlyxaviorAlyxavior Member
    edited January 2023
    Could the Tank archetype be renamed as Guardian and the double Guardian be called Bulwark?

Guardian makes more sense, in a lore sense, since the other role types are named differently from their role.

*Bulwark is a suggestion by Atakgonist from Discord.
  • In terms of the artisan classes, will one player be able to utilize all three to see a resource to its completion (i.e. gather the resources for a potion, process those via alchemy, and utilize the created potion to enchant gear)? I know that the wiki mentions that you'll only be able to master one of the three classes, so I wasn't certain how this works.
  • Will we start the game from Sanctus?
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What other classes are ready to showcase?
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Greetings everyone - thank you so much again for sharing your questions with us, and for tuning in for today's livestream! In case you didn't hear us cover your question on the stream, it may be because we've shared an answer previously - check out more on that below!

@TheWolfofGar (question), @WellwornTraveler (question), @Botagar (question), @Arenir (question), @Nuub (question 1, 2), @LastCrystal (question), @Sherkus (question 1, 2), @ForlornFjord (question 1, 2), @WHIT3ROS3 (question), @Steak777 (question) - Please only post one question next time as requested, and if you only posted one question, please make sure to keep it as direct/succinct as possible - that way it's more likely to be picked!

@Lithion (question), @Sometimessmiles (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding cosmetics as we progress further in development!

@Talents (question) - We haven't announced any plans for any additional auto-flagging-as-combatant zones.

@Vyril (question) - This will depend entirely on the dungeon!

@-T0Mb- (question) - Currently, the plan so for any class to have the possibility of dual wielding, thought it might not always be the most effective choice. You can hear Steven discuss this more here!

@TarnishedSolaire (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding group mounts as we progress further in development! :)

@Gimpg (question) - It is very possible that this type of item could be seen in Ashes of Creation :)

@Babayugah (question) - We have not confirmed or announced any dates for future spot tests at this time. Be sure to stay tuned to our socials for updates!

@Gates2Valhalla (question) - We have not announced any plans on subscription-based loyalty programs <3

@Hutchy1989 (question) - When a player dies they disintegrate into ash. The ashes contain any items lost by the player due to applicable death penalties. These ash piles are immediately lootable by any player. Player flagging is not triggered by looting. You can read more about this here, on the wiki!

@Acij (question) - Currently, the plan is for Up to eight players of the same primary archetype can band together to create monumental effects during a siege. However, Summoners can collaborate to summon larger summons, such as Golems. You can read more about Siege Summons here, on the wiki!

@Ozijak (question) - If eight Tank archetypes each use one of their summon wall abilities it might construct a larger wall that can divide two raids in a moment; and would require damage and block skills and abilities for a momentary lapse of battle between those two raids. You can read more about this here, on the wiki!

@Neurath (question), @Hoozierpopz (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding character creation as we progress further in development! <3

@Roofian (question) - Shortbows have faster, less powerful, shorter range basic attacks. Longbows have slower, more powerful, longer range basic attacks. For more information, check out the wiki, here!

@itwashear (question) - There will be restrictions on where Freeholds can be placed. You can learn more about Freehold placement here, on the wiki!

@Liniker (question) - The current plan is to populate the world and NPCs of Verra with variations of cosmetics acquired through pre-order packages.

@Balmora (question) - There is a feature called Bulletin Boards which, among a variety of uses, will allow for players to find others for dungeons! You can learn more about them here, on the wiki!

@Strevi (question) - Currently, the plan is that corrupted players can be attacked regardless of other affiliations. This is something that will be tested during Alpha-2 :) You can read more about this system here, on the wiki!

@Neurotoxin (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding lore as we progress further in development!

@Azalamir (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding weapon and casting animations as we progress further in development!

@Tyranthraxus (question) - Because node development and layout may be different from node to node, it may depend on how that given node was developed!

@Varees (question) - Ashes of Creation will feature many mounts, some of which may be acquirable through different or special means.

@trajdl (question) - 🤔💭

@_Belphegor_ (question), @Chris2810 (question), @nameA (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding archetypes, skills, and abilities as we progress further in development! <3

@Kiwi_ (question) - I believe this question will have been answered on stream! <3

@Scroon (question) - Currently, this is not a planned feature for Ashes of Creation! <3

@Savadja (question) - Ashes of Creation is not a survival game and will likely not have those key features of survival games, such as requiring food to live or special gear for climates :smile:<3

@Gui10 (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding artisan classes and the crafting systems as we progress further in development! :)

@Ace1234 (question) Our team has many years of experience not only in MMORPGs but in other games and genres as well. Inspiration may come from those experiences! ;)

@OgreDrupe (question) - You can see our current list of systems and features we aim to have in Alpha Two [url=" https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alpha-2"]here, on the wiki[/url]!

@Jazerious (question) - We should have news to share regarding this very soon! ^_^

@Villefort (question) - We currently do not have any plans to use AI image generation tools such as Midjourney. :) We have a team of extremely talented artists that create all the art we need!

@Selo (question) - Some features will be altered from the testing phases, such as node locations! :)

@Hazerduhs (question) - Please stay tuned for more information regarding freeholds as we progress further in development! ^_^

@Castai (question) - Mariner classes (also referred to as boatsmanship classes, boatsman skills, or seamanship) contain different skill trees arranged in a similar manner to Artisan classes. As a player gains experience in these different skills, they become more adept at using them. You can read more about naval progression here, on the wiki!

@Dizz (question) - We hope to make Ashes of Creation as accessible as we can, especially when it comes to language support!

@Stalwart (question) - I believe your question regarding threat management will likely have been answered on the livestream! <3

@Oceanos (question) - While this tech is very cool, we currently don't have plans to integrate it into Ashes of Creation!

@Minus (question) - Language and region support are important to us! You can read more about language support here and region support here!

@Cadac (question) - Everything being worked on and featured in Alpha Two is subject to change before the beta phases and release :)

@JayGeL44 (question) - You can learn more about threat assessment here, on the wiki!

@Zahie (question) - Choice of weapon type changes the feel, pacing, speed, and other aspects of combat. Further specialization is achievable within each weapon's skill tree. Different weapon types offer different passive skills and proc effects from their weapon skill tree as well as different waterfall stats. You can read more about weapons here, on the wiki!

@Nago (question) - I imagine that a guild of any single archetype will experience shortcomings in some areas of content! :)

@Aniion (question) - The animal husbandry system has much to offer outside! This system will be used to create the perfect animal for the perfect situation! Creating cool and unique looks for each mount through the system is just one aspect :)

@Krazee12 (question) - Yes! They will be called Argent, Guardian, Keeper, Knight, Nightshield, Paladin, Spellshield, and Warden. You can read more about this and all other information that has been said on the game here, on the wiki!

@kanna (question) - There will be a comfortable amount of character slots per account. You can read more about that here, on the wiki!

@Gaull (question) - There may be UI elements that indicate important information upon approaching a caravan

@ThatOtherGuy (question) - There will be limitations on what players can do when creating a character name. We'd love to be able to provide players assistance when creating their character names!

@NiKr (question), @DigitalDayDream (question), @Drunkninja (question), @Obsidias (question), @SnowElf (question) - Your questions were ones we hoped to have gotten to on stream but didn't quite have time. We'd love it if you come by next month for the next development update livestream to ask them again! ^_^

@superwafflefry (question), @Orbificator (question), @NyceGaming (question), @Sago65 (question), @Myosotys (question), @Barab (question), @Azherae (question), @JamieKaos (question), @Serena Venport (question) - Congratulations! Your questions were answered by Steven and Margaret on the livestream! Be sure to check out the VoD on YouTube in case you missed it live! :)
    community_management.gif
  • A preview of our Tank archetype is now available in 4K! https://youtu.be/DwWK9HJNJRQ

👀 Check it out and leave us your feedback!

💬 For Loot & UI Feedback https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/54994/feedback-request-looting-updates-shown-in-january-livestream/p1

💬 For Tank Update Feedback https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/54993/feedback-request-tank-updates-shown-in-january-livestream/p1

(OP updated as well)
    marketing.gif
  • CastaiCastai Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: »
    @Castai (question) - Mariner classes (also referred to as boatsmanship classes, boatsman skills, or seamanship) contain different skill trees arranged in a similar manner to Artisan classes. As a player gains experience in these different skills, they become more adept at using them. You can read more about naval progression here, on the wiki!

I'm afraid this answer does not address my original question. I am specifically asking about "naval PvP progression". Analogous to bandit and defender progression in caravan PvP on land, will there be some specific PvP progressions for attacking and defending other players on the open seas? Or, I guess in other words: Do mariner classes measure naval PvP progression in a unique way?
    youtube.com/watch?v=I_LhGxdKBNQ&t=5210s youtube.com/watch?v=nOd9PV6jcqU&t=4668s
    youtube.com/watch?v=gFYd9TJiRDQ&t=4209s youtube.com/watch?v=TpBSGYWxd38&t=4969s
    youtube.com/watch?v=RetA3thzdiM&t=5100s
  • MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited January 2023
    Thank you @Vaknar for the link to the video but I think they didn't post the questions & answers....

• MargaretKrohnMargaretKrohn Moderator, Staff
    edited January 2023
    🛡️ 💪 We showcased the Tank archetype in our January Development Update! https://youtu.be/L2D_6FLZ51k

❓ What is your favorite part of the role, or is there another role you prefer to play in party gameplay?

(Edited OP as well)
    marketing.gif
  • Myosotys wrote: »
    Thank you @Vaknar for the link to the video but I think they didn't post the questions & answers....

It's up now. ;)
    marketing.gif
  • Vaknar wrote: »
    @Roofian (question) - Shortbows have faster, less powerful, shorter range basic attacks. Longbows have slower, more powerful, longer range basic attacks. For more information, check out the wiki, here!

Thank you for your response, but i wanted to know about crossbows.
  • zeiroezeiroe Member, Founder
    that tank preview looking sexy
  • Gimpg wrote: »
    Will there be cursed items that have negative stats/effects but provide the item with more powerful bonuses?

I would like to see these tbh, i would also like to make one change to it aswell though, i would like to see these drop on death corrupted or not. i feel it make sense with a curse can be protected via devine grace or what ever that keeps the gear linked to your character on death (and the fact you can loose gear on death when corrupted it kinda follow that trend that this item been corrupted so much that it can no longer be kept on death) would also means this cursed items with be stockpiled or passed around often aswell as adding the occasional dopamine for the one who loot it from player kill i feel.
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited February 2023
    *deleted* (double posted)
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited February 2023

@Hutchy1989 (question) - When a player dies they disintegrate into ash. The ashes contain any items lost by the player due to applicable death penalties. These ash piles are immediately lootable by any player. Player flagging is not triggered by looting. You can read more about this here, on the wiki!

Can i offer a little recommendation for this one, Can you add a small grace where only the group that killed the person can loot them or atleast contributed to the fight in some way like 1-2 minutes, otherwise u get the annoying situation in group fights running in ninja looting everything that might drop and run off if you wanna keep the ninja looting option which is fine atleast have them get flagged as combatant cause if you kill somone and a green ninja loot the corpse you now got to take a corruption hit to kill them and u wont even get the items back that you earned by the kill :P

• Nago wrote: »
    Would a guild composed solely of summoners be viable in PVE ?

RP guild like this owuld be cool but might have to make friends for somethings :P that being said if u made it a little more broaders it could work for example u can be any class bur ur sub class must be summoners cause then you would have a tank oiption as the tank/summoner class along with a healer option with Cleric/summoner for example and still keep the summoner guild theme.

I would like to see a religion based guild where everyone is some form of cleric :P even or a couple cleric types like templar, apostles, high priest, highsword, paladin, acolyte there all very churchy in nature and probaly covers everything required for group play too so could make a rather interesting RP guild theme :D
  • Roofian wrote: »

Thank you for your response, but i wanted to know about crossbows.

they may not have a cross bow as a weapon planned although i hope they do and it should function mechanicaly different from bow where it shoots first and reloads afterwards so basicly dmg happens at front half of the animation instead of the end but longer reload times with higher dmg per shot so u can fire quickly hide bhind some LoS to reload and pop out again kinda play style.
  • MicoMico Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What difficulties will be in place for crafters, to ensure that real effort is required to make crafting meaningful for those who wish to craft full time, rather than devote all of their time into leveling combat classes?