Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The quest for supreme quality for an MMORPG

I believe that the model of "realistic world", "coherent progression" and "verisimilitude" are fundamental to a 21st century MMORPG.

I believe the base model for Ashes of Creation needs to go beyond what ArcheAge, Black Desert, New World has already done.

Ashes of Creation needs to be Read Dead Redemption 2 with a face of 3.

If it is less than that, it will be just another MMORPG, not a game to make history.

Do you agree?

https://youtu.be/YisYNBBd3Jw

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    I think it should be an mmo :) Single player games are not mmos, which is why they can't have the quality on the same lvl, nor should they, because what's fun in a single player game is quite far from what's fun in an mmo. Well, at least imo.
  • fail
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    fogovivo wrote: »
    If it is less than that, it will be just another MMORPG, not a game to make history.

Do you agree?

Ashes isnt going to make history.

It is going to be another of those MMO that 18 months after launch has a player count (western players, at least) that is in the fractions of a million.

This puts it in fairly good company, to be fair. It just means the game wont be "making history".
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2023
    people keep forgetting that intrepid is an independent studio... with a limited budget that is no where near Rockstar or Blizzard
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • MMOs are MMOs because the social aspect and the player driven content
    Good graphis are not even a parameter to measure how good a MMO is
  • As the poster above me said;
    MMO's are great due the social aspect.
    But of course you need to have a higher than decent graphic range.
    61a6aqe8ewhb.gif
  • NiKr wrote: »
    I think it should be an mmo :) Single player games are not mmos, which is why they can't have the quality on the same lvl, nor should they, because what's fun in a single player game is quite far from what's fun in an mmo. Well, at least imo.

I think it's worth your while to research more about Red Dead Online and its 21st Century version, GTA V Online.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1404210/Red_Dead_Online/

https://youtu.be/0k3q10_Z9Ck
  • MMOs are MMOs because the social aspect and the player driven content
    Good graphis are not even a parameter to measure how good a MMO is

I think it's worth you while to research more about Red Dead Online and its 21st Century version, GTA V Online.

https://youtu.be/dg1SO9_tues
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    I think it's worth your while to research more about Red Dead Online and its 21st Century version, GTA V Online.
    I know they're great online games and especially amazing for the RP crowd. But your OP didn't talk about either of those games. You said you want Ashes to be RDR2 and not like other mmos. If you had written that it should appeal to the RPers more and have a deep world with a ton of mechanics, then I'd probably agree, but I would also say that they're already doing that, but also that quite a lot of mmos are also already doing that.

You posted 2 videos. One about a mundane "go and find the thing" quest and another about pvp. How is that any different from any mmo out there? If you wanna prove your point, at least make good arguments for it.

And as others said, good graphics do not a good game make. Though even there we're covered, because Ashes will have UE5 working for it.

In other words, it seems that this thread was kinda pointless cause we already have what you're asking for.
  • Cinq0Cinq0 Member

Ah yes, the only measure for whether an MMO will be remembered or not is if it has ray tracing
  • SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Do you agree?

No!

• fogovivo wrote: »
    I believe that the model of "realistic world", "coherent progression" and "verisimilitude" are fundamental to a 21st century MMORPG.

I believe the base model for Ashes of Creation needs to go beyond what ArcheAge, Black Desert, New World has already done.

"Fundamental" - I'm not sure why that would be the case. Ultimately a game sell when it satisfies the wants of the customers to the degree that enough of them buy it so that the developer makes a profit and has an incentive to create more of that or - in case of MMOs - keep the servers online.
    Ashes of Creation needs to be Read Dead Redemption 2 with a face of 3.

That assumes that there is a universal necessity for whatever RDR2 did right in gameplay and for the visual quality of RDR3 that somehow applies for either all games, seeing how we jumped genres to Ashes already, or that there is reliable evidence that anything below this cannot achieve a specific goal, of which I don't know what that would be.

Having played none of those games I can't tell if anything less than a RDR level of gameplay makes a game ordinary, but I am not sure how a single player game is an appropriate standard for a MMORPG, nor whether the idea is to "make history" with Ashes - whatever that is supposed to mean.

What I can say for sure however is that Intrepid isn't trying to please every single gamer out there by developing and publishing Ashes of Creation. The consequences of that will probably be that there is a chance for the game to not break the records of WoW, but that is not necessary for the game to be successful in its own niche.

Do you agree?

After going through the individual points and despite my ignorance to the Red Dead Redemption games, I don't think I can agree. I get that a very positive experience in those games can inform a players hopes and expectations for other games (there was a post about hopes based on Hogwarts Legacy recently), but I don't see a reason to assume that this would make it a universal standard for any now game to become legitimate or successful.

And touching on that last point, I made a very rough calculation of what would probably make Ashes of Creation a viable MMORPG from the perspective of Intrepid and Steven.

(all numbers are rough speculation based on google data and amounts pre year)

Lets take the LinkedIn number of employees that says "51-200" and assume the company will be able to function with ~180 employees. Average game dev salary on the west coast is 103k (noice).
    So we have staff costs of 18.5 M$

Rough calculation to rent office space in San Diego brings me to 8.8 M$ so let's increase that to 12M$ just to be save so we got facility management included and some extra space for the servers.

Then Steven might want at least 2,5% of his initial investment to come out of this project, 10% would make him very happy, so lets put 5 M$ investor profit on the list.

And lastly we want Intrepid to make 20% more than its yearly expenses on top of it all, so an extra 7.1M.

Necessary number of players by subscription fee alone (at 15$ per month / 180$ a year): 236'666 active players. Compare that number to other popular games

So about 2.5 times the latest number of Alpha 2 key sales (around 100k source). Assuming that the game will become much more interesting by the time a release date is finally announced, I would think there is a pretty good chance that this games will be economically viable.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Noaani wrote: »
    It is going to be another of those MMO that 18 months after launch has a player count (western players, at least) that is in the fractions of a million.

100 is a fraction lol.

McShave wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

100 is a fraction lol.
    Sure.

However, when measuring something, you usually measure in the most appropriate unit of measurement - unless there is a need for more accuracy.

An example of this is that in America, road signs only measure to the mile, not to the inch. However, if you are measuring the cross section of a piece of lumber, you use inches.

A game that is measuring its population in fractions of a million is inherently saying that the fraction of a million they are measuring in is the significant unit of measurement.
  • Noaani wrote: »

100 is a fraction lol.
    Sure.

However, when measuring something, you usually measure in the most appropriate unit of measurement - unless there is a need for more accuracy.

An example of this is that in America, road signs only measure to the mile, not to the inch. However, if you are measuring the cross section of a piece of lumber, you use inches.

A game that is measuring its population in fractions of a million is inherently saying that the fraction of a million they are measuring in is the significant unit of measurement.

For a game that would be profitable at 300k players, it seems that "thousands of players" would be in the significant unit of measurement.
    Kilion wrote: »

100 is a fraction lol.
    Sure.

For a game that would be profitable at 300k players, it seems that "thousands of players" would be in the significant unit of measurement.

Indeed. And a thousand players just happens to be 1/100 of a million players.

Regardless, I assume you get my point that PvP focused MMO's have significantly smaller western populations than PvE focused MMO's. In fact, all major PvP focused MMO's combined have a smaller western population than just one of the top three PvE focused MMO's.
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2023
    So how do you propose they make a world that looks like a theoretical Red Dead Redemption 3 while also having 500 vs 500 player fights? Unfortunately RTX 10900TI GPUs and 20900K CPUs aren't gonna be available for another 15 years probably
    nI17Ea4.png
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Talents wrote: »
    So how do you propose they make a world that looks like a theoretical Red Dead Redemption 3 while also having 500 vs 500 player fights? Unfortunately RTX 10900TI GPUs and 20900K CPUs aren't gonna be available for another 15 years probably

That's just in time for release ji4ivgdr3bbp.jpg
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • @Natasha lol. the funny thing is if we follow trends, those GPU's could potentially only be about 5 years out :smile:
  • In time, it's worth noting that the creative foundation of Ashes of Creation derives from ArcheAge. And we already have a taste of what ArcheAge 2 will be like. The fact is that Ashes of Creation needs to surpass ArcheAge and ArcheAge 2, doesn't it?

https://youtu.be/prXHgdsouYA

And if you haven't played ArcheAge or Read Dead Redemption Online yet, your opinion about the future of Ashes of Creation lacks an experimental basis.

Here's the invitation, play ArcheAge and play Read Dead Redemption Online before giving any opinion about it.

Play free https://archeage.playkakaogames.com/download

Buy and play RDR2 full or just Online version https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/
  • fogovivo wrote: »
    In time, it's worth noting that the creative foundation of Ashes of Creation derives from ArcheAge. And we already have a taste of what ArcheAge 2 will be like. The fact is that Ashes of Creation needs to surpass ArcheAge and ArcheAge 2, doesn't it?

Ashes might take a lot of inspiration from ArcheAge, but is by no means aiming to be a clone of it.
    Nor does is everyone interested in ArcheAge's story & world.
    And giving these factors - there is no simple "this is better and this is worse" as, from all I have read people say now about ArcheAge, the games aim at different (not completely but notably) different players.
    And if you haven't played ArcheAge or Read Dead Redemption Online yet, your opinion about the future of Ashes of Creation lacks an experimental basis.

That is a nice attempt at dismissing possible criticism, but it doesn't stick very well, because ArcheAge or RDR aren't the only credible standards. Even if someone hasn't played these games, they still are able to have valid opinions and perspectives on Ashes. Saying otherwise would be as ridiculous as me stating "Anyone without a degree in economics has no proper basis to evaluate Ashes."

• You wanna see the supreme MMO?

Devs should deliver everything we need for a community workshop, then the best addons/creations should be bought by the company.

If this ever happen someday, it will bring the best MMO in history.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    You wanna see the supreme MMO?

Devs should deliver everything we need for a community workshop, then the best addons/creations should be bought by the company.

Forget CrowdFunded MMOs, bring on the CrowdSourced MMOs, eh?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• fogovivofogovivo Member
    edited April 2023
    The fact is that Ashes of Creation needs to surpass ArcheAge and ArcheAge 2, doesn't it?
    Ashes might take a lot of inspiration from ArcheAge, but is by no means aiming to be a clone of it.

Nor does is everyone interested in ArcheAge's story & world.
    Read it https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Inspiration

Saying otherwise would be as ridiculous as me stating "Anyone without a degree in economics has no proper basis to evaluate Ashes."
    "Anyone without enough background in MMORPG has no proper basis to evaluate Ashes."

• Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    Azherae wrote: »
    You wanna see the supreme MMO?

Yes, for projects that are ongoing already, all the extra stuff could be done by the public. If a company handles the patterns to be followed for code, assets, server jobs, which standards to follow, etc, there would be a lot of people doing stuff. Then if the community likes something and the company approves it, just incorporate in the game, everybody signs the contract and both parties have their rights secure.

In the present times, it is common to come across developers who are unable to deliver games that meet satisfactory standards. As a result, the community takes charge of developing and launching add-ons that not only fix the issues but also introduce functionalities that should have been included in the game from the beginning.

Have you ever played goblin wars in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion?
    Goblin Wars is even in Oblivion's manual, if you decompile the game the funcion calls are there, but the functions bodies are empty! What kind of trickery is that? Then modders had to fully develop the functions as game mods as they see fit and it is pretty damn good.
  • Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »

Yes, for projects that are ongoing already, all the extra stuff could be done by the public. If a company handles the patterns to be followed for code, assets, server jobs, which standards to follow, etc, there would be a lot of people doing stuff. Then if the community likes something and the company approves it, just incorporate in the game, everybody signs the contract and both parties have their rights secure.

It's really cool to talk about the future of future MMORPG games. I am happy to see a growing market and a demand for more involved and engaging communities. I hope Ashes of Creation doesn't lose the thread.

https://youtu.be/OwpqufkynZA
  • @fogovivo why? what? why are you linking this?

This has nothing to do with crowdsourcing, it's just news about Fable's dev
  • Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    @fogovivo why? what? why are you calling this?

This has nothing to do with crowdsourcing, it's just news about Fable development

Collaborative Knowledge is : ) Crowdsourcing.

The video is just one example of what the public (the crowd) demands and what the market is doing.
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    @fogovivo why? what? why are you calling this?

This has nothing to do with crowdsourcing, it's just news about Fable development

Collaborative Knowledge is : ) Crowdsourcing.

The video is just one example of what the public (the crowd) demands and what the market is doing.

I don't think Fable is the case, people were hired, people are in the office, this is just another project

The crowd is not programming, not modelling, not running debugs, etc... not offering tools, not anything, not participating in any significant way.

I will give one example of what is significant, game mods take hundreds to thousands of hours making addons and game mods... there's mods that should even be part of the game... but the companies prefer not to do so.

Companies just thank the community by stuffing more money into their pockets, modders and devs making community addons are just like voluntary slaves. Very frequently game mods and the addons are better than the game's core systems.

So, that's it, companies profit bilions altogether, but community devs work for free... they work "for the community" while making the game more enjoyable and bringing more people spending money in the game

Would be nice seeing a company officialy seeking community devs and paying them for mods and addons, or at least giving tiny shares in the product... profit shares... sales shares... or even if the game is sold for bilions of dollars in the future