Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Office Hours: Dungeon Discussion - Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 4PM PT

VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
edited May 2023 in Announcements
office_hours_dungeon_discussion_.png

Join @Roshen and @Vaknar over in the Ashes of Creation Discord for a voice chat during our next Community Office Hours on Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 4PM PT (Convert to your local time). This event should last about one hour.

For this session, we will be using Discord Stage. Every 8 minutes, we’ll be bringing up small groups of players.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

The main topic of discussion for this office hours will be Dev Discussion #50 - Dungeon Delving, as well as Carphin, based on what we shared during the March 2023 Development Update Livestream.

In this session, we’ll break each of the 8 minute segments up to focus on one of these conversations:
    Favorite Dungeons - What are your favorite dungeons? What are the elements of these dungeons that are interesting to you?
    Favorite Boss Encounters (Single-Group Dungeons) - What are your favorite boss encounters in single group dungeons? What made these interesting and compelling to you?
    Dynamic Dungeons - Have you experienced areas in MMOs that adaptively change and are dynamic? What do you like or dislike about this? How would you like to see dungeons change?
    Why Do Dungeons? - What are your favorite game systems that encourage you to complete dungeons?
    Bonus Question! - We will revisit one of the topics above for a fresh round with a group of players that haven’t had the chance to speak. Based on participation, we might ask the discussion prompt from the Dev Discussion thread, which can be found here: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/55421/dev-discussion-50-dungeon-delving/p1.
    1. Dungeon Delving: On average, how long do you prefer a dungeon playthrough to take?

If you’d like to contribute to this discussion, we recommend you read through the Dev Discussion #49 - Dungeon Delving, and watch the Carphin preview video before this Community Office Hours session.

Thanks again! We look forward to chatting with you all soon!
    community_management.gif

Comments

• JoxJox Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
      Awesome, Cant wait to learn more about the bosses :grin:
    • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
      Jox wrote: »
      Awesome, Cant wait to learn more about the bosses :grin:

Office Hours is a discussion with other players. Roshen and I will be there to ask you all questions (specifically, the one's in the OP above!), and engage in the conversation. This won't be a Q&A, and Roshen and I will not be divulging new information on the game <3

With that said, we hope to see you and we hope you enjoy the discussion!
      community_management.gif
      FlowGotThe wrote: »
      Hey,
      Will this discussion be uploaded on youtube or wherever ?

Thanks,

This discussion won't be shared externally <3

There won't be any new information on the game if you're perhaps worried about missing out on that. This is a discussion between mixed groups of players, giving their thoughts and feelings on the topic (which this time around, is dungeons!) :)
      community_management.gif
    • This is really exciting!

dvrm2vh34f32.png
    • edited April 2023
      Hey everyone! To save a little bit of screen real-estate, I'm going to post a link to my original dungeon thread. It's a "Japanese" style dungeon that can be procedurally generated and also add some story elements to the world (without affecting main quests). Great for solo's and small groups (raids are necessary at later stages).
      I also have a lot of experience with classic dungeons as well, so please feel free to use me as a resource.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/53797/japanese-style-rpg-dungeons#latest
    • NiKrNiKr Member
      edited April 2023
      I haven't touched office hours before, so this might be a silly question. Can we just listen in on the discussion or do we have to talk if we join in?
    • GodGod Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
      pjb7fwf8xzen.png
    • BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
      anyway we can make this whole thing more EU friendly?
    • Hey! This was my first time sitting in and participating in an office hour! Not sure how they normally are ran but I just some first timer feedback.

You can try a more structured approach to facilitate community discussions. Have the office hour facilitator give permission to each participant to start speaking and keep track of time. Have everyone talk for 2-3 minutes in a round-table fashion. (example: "JayGeL44 you have the floor for 2 minutes, I'll keep track of the time." and let everyone say their piece.)

Then at the end of the question allow 5 or so minutes for an open forum discussion on the topic. This time can be used for participants to feed off each others inputs and the facilitator can lead this portion to a degree by bringing up note worthy points made in the individual comments. This would allow for both collective brainstorming and elaborating on points that are of particular interest to the development team.

I notice that the people who are comfortable talking tend to take the most time doing so, which is fine. Since it was my first time talking, the transition from the facilitator talking to when the participants were supposed to start their forum wasn't entirely clear and was uncomfortable for a new comer. If the facilitator gave the floor to a specific person, and allowed them a specific time, I think it would run more smoothly and be more welcoming. I felt that the last two participants in my discussion did not have an adequate amount of time to address their view points. I also felt that their talking points warranted more discussion from the group but it was already time for our topic to end.
      NiKr wrote: »
      I haven't touched office hours before, so this might be a silly question. Can we just listen in on the discussion or do we have to talk if we join in?

Apologize I didn't get to this sooner! I saw you there, so I'm sure you have your answer. For those that maybe didn't make it, you absolutely can just hang out without talking (lurk), or you can participate in chat if you don't want to speak ^_^

Thanks for joining today, @NiKr :)
      community_management.gif
      edited April 2023
      JayGeL44 wrote: »
      Hey! This was my first time sitting in and participating in an office hour! Not sure how they normally are ran but I just some first timer feedback.

You can try a more structured approach to facilitate community discussions. Have the office hour facilitator give permission to each participant to start speaking and keep track of time. Have everyone talk for 2-3 minutes in a round-table fashion. (example: "JayGeL44 you have the floor for 2 minutes, I'll keep track of the time." and let everyone say their piece.)

Then at the end of the question allow 5 or so minutes for an open forum discussion on the topic. This time can be used for participants to feed off each others inputs and the facilitator can lead this portion to a degree by bringing up note worthy points made in the individual comments. This would allow for both collective brainstorming and elaborating on points that are of particular interest to the development team.

I notice that the people who are comfortable talking tend to take the most time doing so, which is fine. Since it was my first time talking, the transition from the facilitator talking to when the participants were supposed to start their forum wasn't entirely clear and was uncomfortable for a new comer. If the facilitator gave the floor to a specific person, and allowed them a specific time, I think it would run more smoothly and be more welcoming. I felt that the last two participants in my discussion did not have an adequate amount of time to address their view points. I also felt that their talking points warranted more discussion from the group but it was already time for our topic to end.

Awesome feedback, @JayGeL44 Thank you for this!

@Roshen and I have taken note of this, and will discuss it with the team as we look toward our next Office Hours session!

Office Hours is still a pilot program, so we're looking at ways to improve it. Feedback like this makes doing so much easier! <3

Thanks so much for joining us today, and we hope to have you back again! Double thanks for being a first-timer, and for joining in on the discussion! That was awesome ^_^
      community_management.gif
    • slysneakslysneak Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
      This is nice, I didn't know these were being held. I'll have to join in for the next one!