Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Open Letter to Steven Sharif the Ashes Paradox

KingMannyKingManny Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Dear Steven Sharif,

I am writing to you about the current state of Ashes of Creation, and the growing concern among your supporters regarding the direction of the game's development. Specifically, I want to address the "Ashes Paradox" that has emerged recently, and how it is affecting the community.

Firstly, I want to bring up the issue of cosmetic sales after the Kickstarter campaign. This has caused frustration among supporters who believed the game was already fully funded. The addition of FOMO-style sales may bring in extra revenue, but it is not a good look for a game that claims to be transparent and community-focused. It is important to remember that the community is the reason why the game is even in development, and they deserve to be treated with respect and honesty.
Secondly, while transparency is important, many supporters are starting to feel like they are being led on with no tangible product. The constant teasing of the game and its features without a clear release date is causing a sense of frustration among supporters.

While it is important to keep the community engaged, there needs to be a balance between transparency and realistic expectations. Some supporters are even comparing Ashes of Creation to Star Citizen, a game that has been in development for years without a clear release date. This is not a comparison that anyone wants to make, and it is important to make sure that Ashes of Creation doesn't fall into the same trap.

The last spot testing or test from July 14 - August 15, 2021 has left many supporters feeling left out and frustrated. It is not fair to those who have supported the game and have been eagerly waiting for their chance to test the game. While playtesting may not be a priority for the development team, it is important to remember that the community is eager to get their hands on the game and provide feedback.

As a member of the Ashes of Creation community, I understand that game development can be a time-consuming and challenging process. It is not uncommon for games to experience delays, and I appreciate that the development team is taking the necessary time to ensure that the game meets the highest standards of quality.

However, I also understand the frustration that some members of the community are feeling about the lack of playtesting opportunities since July 14 - August 15, 2021. Many of us have been eagerly awaiting the chance to play the game and provide feedback to the development team. Playtesting is a crucial part of the game development process, and it allows developers to gather valuable feedback from players about the game's mechanics, performance, and overall experience. It also provides players with an opportunity to engage with the game and become invested in its development.

While I understand that the development team may have their reasons for not holding playtests, I believe that it would be beneficial for the game's development to continue to provide playtesting opportunities to the community. It would not only allow us to provide feedback to the development team, but it would also help to keep the community engaged and invested in the game's development.

Having NDA testing again would allow a select group of Alpha members to test the game under the protection of a non-disclosure agreement. This would ensure that any issues or bugs found during testing can be addressed before they are made public, preventing potential negative impact on the game's reputation. Additionally, NDA testing would provide the developers with valuable feedback from a dedicated group of testers who have a vested interest in the success of the game. It would also give the testers a chance to provide input on game mechanics and make suggestions for improvement. Overall, NDA testing would be beneficial for both the developers and the Alpha testers, and could help ensure a smoother and more successful launch for Ashes of Creation.

Another potential solution could be to conduct NDA testing once a month or every few major updates. This would allow a smaller group of trusted testers to have early access to the latest build of the game and provide valuable feedback to the developers. By limiting the number of testers and enforcing strict NDA agreements, the developers could ensure that the testing is more controlled and focused, while still gathering important feedback on the latest features and mechanics. This approach could provide a good balance between maintaining secrecy and gathering feedback from trusted testers

Ashes of Creation has not only united gamers with a shared passion, but it has also created strong and lasting bonds of friendship. Through our collective anticipation for the game's release, we have formed a supportive community that values camaraderie and collaboration. We have come to appreciate each other's unique perspectives and talents, and we have found joy in sharing our excitement for Ashes of Creation with one another. While we eagerly await the game's release, we will continue to cherish the friendships we have made and the sense of community that Ashes of Creation has brought to our lives.
An alternative solution to NDA testing could be to conduct playtesting sessions that focus on specific features or mechanics. For example, a playtesting session could be designed to test combat mechanics or PvP balance, allowing the developers to gather targeted feedback on those aspects of the game. Another example could be a playtesting session focused on testing new content or quests in a particular region of the game world.

These playtesting sessions could be structured and organized to ensure that testers are focused on the specific features or mechanics being tested. Testers could be given specific objectives to complete during the session, such as defeating a particular boss or completing a certain questline. The developers could then gather feedback on how well these objectives were met and use that feedback to improve the game.

One benefit of this approach is that it could provide more consistent and targeted feedback to the developers. Instead of relying on random gameplay sessions, the developers could receive feedback on specific areas of the game that they are actively working to improve. This could help speed up the development process and ensure that the game is more polished upon release.
Additionally, scheduling playtesting sessions in advance would give Alpha testers ample time to prepare and participate. This could help ensure that the sessions are well attended and that the feedback gathered is representative of the Alpha tester population. Overall, this approach could help create a more collaborative and productive relationship between the developers and the Alpha testers.

It is important to remember that the community is the backbone of any successful game. The Ashes of Creation community has supported the game through thick and thin, and they deserve to be treated with respect and honesty. The development team needs to balance transparency with realistic expectations, and provide more opportunities for supporters to playtest the game. The future success of Ashes of Creation depends on the relationship between the development team and the community, and it is crucial to maintain that relationship in order to build a successful game.

Sincerely,
KingManny#0001

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ye? I disagree. I want them to delay until perfection. And I am sure I have waiting for a game like this way longer than you. Am also a backer.
  • I disagree with your point and please dont do these clickbait threads like "open letters". State your topic and discuss a concrete point.
  • LexLex Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As someone who has been a part of this community since January 2017 I am not concerned with Intrepid's desire to release their game when they consider it ready. A measured approach that is free of external pressure is what is needed to avoid a disastrous MMO launch, as we have witnessed several times in the recent past.
    fe85sq6n7wyu.png
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ye? I disagree. I want them to delay until perfection. And I am sure I have waiting for a game like this way longer than you. Am also a backer.

This. Delay it for 20 years until its done right.
  • BeOwningUBeOwningU Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Solvryn wrote: »

This. Delay it for 20 years until its done right.

Agreed, mage was a great example to please take their time and continue to make amazing things
    kzlop9coy4kh.png
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    conor-mc-gregor-who-the-fook-is-that-guy.gif
    nI17Ea4.png
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I Disagree with the OP, who seems to think that spot testing=game playing for amusement. I agree with the posters above that we want IS to take their time to get the game right and I will add that I think that spot testing for amusement is a waste of time and will slow development, a bad idea.

While the OP states that 'some members of the community' share his concern, it appears from comments that that it is a small minority and almost all of us support the way that IS is doing the development.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I disagree with the OP and as a long-time follower and backer, and head of a large AoC community I do not support this post and I don't think it represents the sentiment of our community
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
    As a Community Vet and someone who is known to state his frustration rather directly, I'm afraid I have to disagree with everything you wrote.

Making a game like this takes time and Intrepid had some things to overcome, I have been waiting since Early 2017 and even I want this game to have a close-to-perfect release. Will that happen? Most likely not, but with all the other games currently in development Intrepid NEEDS to take as much time as possible to get things ready for release, meaning get the game in the best state possible without going into the red.

Also writing like you speaking for the community make you look like someone that nobody can take seriously. There is a wide variety of people following this game, and Steven said this himself; if you don't like what you see just come back when it's finished, or something of that nature.
  • No matter how many video games you've played, there's always going to be a level of content division and separation from a wholistic environment that leads to easily misinterpreted testing phases or poorly received content by testing groups.

What I mean by that is, in saying that you should've been allowed to have already playtested more content over the last several months, you're essentially asking for the team to put time and resources into developing testing environments for randos like you so that you can play around with the first five abilities they've made for each class, one at a time, full of bugs, in an unrealistic target-dummy environment, with nowhere-near-finished animations, damage levels or spell effect data, and without any real goals or sense of compulsion to keep testing those abilities for more than an afternoon. And you expect the general gaming population to come up with any sort of useful feedback after that experience? More than what we're already offering on the forums after each monthly livestream and tech showcase? Yeah, I don't think so.

The team is developing so many systems simultaneously one brick at a time in a way that can only be followed and understood to full effect by being in communication with each other at a development level on a daily basis. A playtester isn't going to have that insight, and it would be a waste of time for Intrepid to put the resources into providing that "experience" for you.

The team is currently planning spot testing phases leading up to Alpha 2, or did you not know that? If that's not good enough for you, I don't know what to say. The game will be available to test when it makes sense for random video gamers to test it and have anything remotely meaningful to say. Until then, find something else to do. Intrepid isn't going anywhere.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    KingManny wrote: »
    Firstly, I want to bring up the issue of cosmetic sales after the Kickstarter campaign. This has caused frustration among supporters who believed the game was already fully funded. The addition of FOMO-style sales may bring in extra revenue, but it is not a good look for a game that claims to be transparent and community-focused. It is important to remember that the community is the reason why the game is even in development, and they deserve to be treated with respect and honesty.
    To be absolutely clear here, Intrepid said they were going to have monthly cosmetic packs pre-launch right from just after the kickstarter.

They said this well before they ever said the games development was fully funded. Intrepid maintaining monthly cosmetic packs is them keeping their word to those that joined early - they have a choice each month to purchase something that will not he made available again.

Intrepid doing as they have always said they do is not showing disrespect, nor dishonesty. It doesnt suggest anything other than an open, transparent development of this game. Keep in mind, Intrepid are simply maintaining the status quo that they have put in place, and that the community as a whole has bought in to. Them altering that status quo would suggest disrespect and dishonesty (it would literally be Intrepid going against what they have said).

What I do find disrespectful though, is your post.

The monthly sales of cosmetics are not an issue. Companies having limited time products is a thing that many people really like. If you do not like such things, just don't buy them - it isnt rocket science.

As to the FOMO argument associated with this - if someone suffers from FOMO, that is their problem. Rather than trying to stop companies around them from offering limited time products to those that enjoy them, these people should instead enlist actual professional help to get over that FOMO issue they have.
  • StevenSharifStevenSharif Moderator, Member, Staff, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    Noaani wrote: »
    To be absolutely clear here, Intrepid said they were going to have monthly cosmetic packs pre-launch right from just after the kickstarter.

They said this well before they ever said the games development was fully funded. Intrepid maintaining monthly cosmetic packs is them keeping their word to those that joined early - they have a choice each month to purchase something that will not he made available again.

Intrepid doing as they have always said they do is not showing disrespect, nor dishonesty. It doesnt suggest anything other than an open, transparent development of this game. Keep in mind, Intrepid are simply maintaining the status quo that they have put in place, and that the community as a whole has bought in to. Them altering that status quo would suggest disrespect and dishonesty (it would literally be Intrepid going against what they have said).

What I do find disrespectful though, is your post.

The monthly sales of cosmetics are not an issue. Companies having limited time products is a thing that many people really like. If you do not like such things, just don't buy them - it isnt rocket science.

As to the FOMO argument associated with this - if someone suffers from FOMO, that is their problem. Rather than trying to stop companies around them from offering limited time products to those that enjoy them, these people should instead enlist actual professional help to get over that FOMO issue they have.

🙏
  • ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited April 2023
    I personally don't care about cosmetics, so if that's what it takes for AoC to get the extra funding it needs, I'm all for it.

However, I do think there is a real issue with skins sold for in-game content that has since been removed, for example the crossbow and potion launcher. What will those skins be used for now? Will they be removed? Repurposed? Backers refunded? It's been silent for a while on that front and a response from intrepid would be great. Not addressing such issues for many months as intrepid has done lends suspicion to what otherwise seems like a benevolent company.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    I personally don't care about cosmetics, so if that's what it takes for AoC to get the extra funding it needs, I'm all for it.

However, I do think there is a real issue with skins sold for in-game content that has since been removed, for example the crossbow and potion launcher. What will those skins be used for now? Will they be removed? Repurposed? Backers refunded? It's been silent for a while on that front and a response from intrepid would be great. Not addressing such issues for many months as intrepid has done lends suspicion to what otherwise seems like a benevolent company.

The only crossbow and potion launcher skins that were sold were during APOC. APOC was NOT a commercial success (whatever the testing period was for), and the number of people that bought those skins was minimal. Those affected were emailed, and Embers currency was credited to their account. Unless you were affected, you would not even know. As to not addressing it for "many months" they handled it within a week of the livestream answer where Steven clarified that crossbows were a no, and that potion launchers would be naval weapons.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • CawwCaww Member
    Basically, the OP is getting antsy and really wants to play something...
  • I personally don't care about cosmetics, so if that's what it takes for AoC to get the extra funding it needs, I'm all for it.

The only crossbow and potion launcher skins that were sold were during APOC. APOC was NOT a commercial success (whatever the testing period was for), and the number of people that bought those skins was minimal. Those affected were emailed, and Embers currency was credited to their account. Unless you were affected, you would not even know. As to not addressing it for "many months" they handled it within a week of the livestream answer where Steven clarified that crossbows were a no, and that potion launchers would be naval weapons.

Ah, it seems I was misinformed then. Thank you for clearing that up.
  • FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    As a long standing member of this community, and a member of a group who have at times been critical of some decisions, we all continue to support the game's development and Steven and the team at Intrepid.
    Firstly, I want to bring up the issue of cosmetic sales after the Kickstarter campaign. This has caused frustration among supporters who believed the game was already fully funded.

We should be celebrating the fact that the game is being funded without outside influence. And as previously mentioned we were made aware of all of this during Kickstarter. Check out the Kickstarter FAQ. The earliest discord mention of this from Steven is 1/17/2017. If you don't like cosmetics don't buy them. I have personally found some to be ugly (sorry). So you know what? I didn't buy them. Do you think mmorpgs reach a point of no longer needing funding? And do you think that subs alone would be enough to support continued feature development?
    Secondly, while transparency is important, many supporters are starting to feel like they are being led on with no tangible product.

What? Have you not seen APOC, alpha 1, ALL of the livestreams? We have plenty of proof that there is a "tangible product."
    Playtesting is a crucial part of the game development process, and it allows developers to gather valuable feedback from players about the game's mechanics, performance, and overall experience. It also provides players with an opportunity to engage with the game and become invested in its development.

Yes, testing is a good way to engage and provide feedback but it is by means not the only way. We have tons of opportunities to provide feedback and to engage as a community and with the team. We these very forums, discord, YouTube, reddit, etc.

What this post basically comes down to is someone who wants to play a game that is not ready to be played. You use the word playtesting rather than alpha or beta testing throughout your post. My advice to you is to step away from Ashes for a long while and reengage once we get to alpha 2.

And as others have said, you do not speak for the larger community.
  • daodao Member
    edited April 2023
    As one that played APOC, i really appreciate the group is taking greater care with what they ask us to play and give feedback on.

It is good to see that people want to play! That laundry list of gripes does not address the core reason for why this person is upset though. Something the team might contemplate. It is easy to dismiss the obviously unwarranted accusations and miss why the person is frustrated to start with.
  • Releasing the alpha 2 now in whatever state it's in would be a terrible choice. Alpha 2 will require a significant amount of costs to provide things like customer support, server infrastructure, and a dual development pipeline associated with both a test product and what can essentially be described as a live service. Look at Crowfall if you want to see how this development structure works.

While it sucks that there's another 8-16 months before alpha 2. The way Intrepid is going about development is better for the long-term health of the game and the studio at large.
  • TacquitoTacquito Member
    edited April 2023
    Dear Steven Sharif,

blah blah blah blah

I'm entitled to play right now because I'm a backer!! waaaa

blah blah blah

Sincerely,
    KingManny#0001

Your post is an embarrassment to humanity.
  • VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited April 2023
    Totally disagree.
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    mcnasty wrote: »
    Dear Steven Sharif,

blah blah blah blah

I'm entitled to play right now because I'm a backer!! waaaa

blah blah blah

Sincerely,
    KingManny#0001

Your post is an embarrassment to humanity.

What community are you apart of?
  • KingManny wrote: »
    Dear Steven Sharif,

I am writing to you about the current state of Ashes of Creation, and the growing concern among your supporters regarding the direction of the game's development. Specifically, I want to address the "Ashes Paradox" that has emerged recently, and how it is affecting the community.[...]

If this is a letter from "the community" why did you not get any of those other concerned people to sign your letter? This is exactly the same issue we had with the last open letter. Someone claiming to speak for "the community" and didn't bother to mention those people at some point? Cmon.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • I completely disagree with OP. Cosmetics are fine, Intrepid should take its time to put out quality (just like we saw with the mage).

I feel like ChatGPT wrote that with a prompt like "I can't wait anymore, how to pressure Intrepid so me and my friends can play now ?"
  • HybridSRHybridSR Member
    edited May 2023
    Never understood people having issues with cosmetics.

Also, please don't say "open letter" when you should say "I don't like this particular thing". It makes you look incredibly self absorbed. You're not that special.

0/10 thread
  • Caww wrote: »
    Basically, the OP is getting antsy and really wants to play something...

It was basically just a very very long way of saying:

"OMG WEN IZ ALFA TOO?!!11!one!!1111!!!one!1!!!!"
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • The only cosmetic info I'm waiting on is what we can actually use them on. It's been a looooooooooong time of waiting, and still no answer.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Noanni for once posted a no-troll post. /agree
  • ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I've been excited for Ashes for a very long time now and understand some of the willingness and ready to dive into a game of this caliber that Intrepid has shown us so far. I am also itching to get in, but to test and help out the development of Ashes to make it as good as it can be with their talents.

I have to say though that I completely disagree with the OP.

Deliver when ready. I have full faith in Steven and Intrepid's talented dev team to get this done.
    [img][/img]
  • Open Letter of Impatience backed by opinion, melodrama, confirmation bias and ignorance, consider this my downvote.

Here's my open letter, I like what you're all doing and how you're doing it at Intrepid. I'm excited to playtest and provide meaningful feedback in Alpha 2, when the studio believes it's ready. Also been following since years ago when the project was first announced and it felt like an urban legend. It's come a long way, I feel like development is really chugging along at a good clip, and I'm thirsty for the next dev update.