Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Feedback Request] Alpha Two Mage Updates Shown in the April Livestream

Comments

• WestergardWestergard Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    DmZ wrote: »
    Ball Lightning - Visual was mostly great. I dislike that fact that it followed the topology in its flight path, as it didn't seem natural (if a magical spell effect could ever seem natural) especially when it went down the stairs. To me it should be a linear path, in 3 dimensions. So if you were aiming at say a dragons chest which may be above your current elevation, you would have to aim there, and the ball would travel on a string from your casting hand to the dragons chest.

How about offering a talent/trait that alters its behaviour?
    I think it would be pretty nice to roll a lightning ball down an incline towards a group of mobs / players
    Making the ball always follow the line of casting would mean the orb would fly over their heads harmless
    Then for a dragonfight where you want to aim at its chest / head for maximum damage you'd then switch to the line cast option.
  • ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How do you feel about the Mage Archetype so far?
    What was showcased was really good looking. So far this has been the best showcase (maybe because it showed more skills and more synergy).

How do you feel about being able to move while casting spells? Do you like the agency given to you, or does it feel unnatural?
    I play mages sometimes on MMO's not that often but if an mmo doesnt have Ranger or bard, I typically go mages. The mobility during casting some of the spells is perfect in my opinion. You guys nailed it here and looks great visually as well.

How do you feel about the transitions between spells? Does this feel natural to you?
    Transitions looked good, nothing to complain here about it. Hopefully cast speed will increase the transitional periods, but for low lvl and with the regular attack combo's, it looks like it works out well. I really liked what was shown, the only thing i'd like to see, regarding Lightning Strike, is the visuals could look a little better. The conjuring effect on the player looks amazing, but the bolt of lightning could use more flash or electrical particles flying outward when struck. The bolt should be noticeably bigger when fully charged compared to instant cast without charge.

How do you feel about the general or rotational complexity of the Mage Archetype? Does it feel too simple, too hard, or just right?
    The complexity with what was shown was almost on spot with me, i'd like to see a tiny bit more complexity but looks really good. I love the synergies between elements and procs that happen with status effects and elemental empowerment spell to enable weapon effects when hit with recent element. I hope to see more combos between elements and even enchantment procs on weapons ( for instance slashing a shocked/electrifiied enemy would enchant a sword for a certain period of time).

What excites you about playing as, with, or against the Mage Archetype?
    This has me really tempted to try out Ranger/Mage to get that Elemental Ranger feeling. I'd love to play along side mage and see what kind of procs/combos we can come up with.

Great job overall.

[img][/img]
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Looking forward to my Oracle more and more. Would be great to heal with fire, ice or lightning. Super stoked about the prospects.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • HarmtouchHarmtouch Member
    edited May 2023
    What if there was possible to select the Lightning ball and detonate it with the Lightning strike? I am thinking of something similar to how the Shock Rifle works in Unreal Tournament. That could be really cool and add the player's choice. Maybe it could get a 100% area increase and a 150% damage increase upon detonations. That could open up the possibility of a mage killing players around a corner that was out of the line of sight. The mechanic works very well in Unreal Tournament at least :smiley:
  • AliceAlice Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2023
    For a mostly tab-target showcase it was decent but overall none of the classes looked fun to play, or unique/original.

Steven at 28:10 said "I just wanted to showcase that the mage is not a literal God".
    This statement confirms my assumption; as someone who currently plays BDO, in which every class feels like a "Literal God" in their own way, I was thinking maybe you are too cautious on balancing the classes that you end up forgetting the part of making them look fun, or too scared to go "over the top" and be creative with them.

Dying to mobs with 0 mechanics & bad AI does NOT showcase "difficulty". It only proves that we are too restricted as players to react as we wish. I understand "fun" is subjective, but how is having so little control over your character is fun to you ?!

The least you could do is add an iframe on that dodge roll, or give every Archetype their own unique iframe dash similar to the triple dashes shown in melee combat. 20 seconds cooldown Blink isn't enough for kiting.

When the devs need to cheat to stay alive, there is clearly something wrong with the classes' Sustainability too. You can fix this problem for every class without making clerics/potions useless. I learned from BDO that the worst kind of class nerfs are the ones targeted at resources, especially Stamina, that's "How to Kill a Class 101".

What makes classes "fun"?

1. Easy to pick but very hard to master(High skill ceiling). It makes them worth learning, worth dedicating thousands of hours min-maxing builds, combos, and counterplay for every situation. As a PvPer, I don't want to feel like I've wasted my time on the wrong class or an MMO with brainless combat. When I lose I want to keep asking myself "Where did I go wrong?" and continue to improve. Is this too much for a +2025 best MMO?

I know you are not a fan of Animation Cancels; neither am I, but hear me out:
    Animation cancels are only bad when the non-cancelled version of a skill is useless, in which you feel forced and limited to only using the cancelled version to "correctly" utilize a skill.

Animation cancels have a purpose, it's good when it's done right. It allows a single skill to have 2-4 different functions in normal vs canceled versions, and in most cases the canceled version is for extra mobility. When it's used as an attack, it could have a risk factor to it and at the same time it makes instant-cast skills easy to predict by learning what your enemy's class skills cancels into. >> There is potential for counterplay! << This makes PvP more worth getting into, more fun, skill-based, and rewarding.

Confused? Here is an example from BDO: A single skill with FOUR different functions. None of them are useless.

Option 1: Normal / Slow version.
    See the Blue shield icon on top middle of the screen? In the normal version, the initial animation of the skill can be used as a guard (block). It can be used both defensively and offensively.

giphy.gif

Option 2: Animation cancel version.
    Here you don't see the blue shield icon, there is a risk of receiving damage or getting CC'd which will guarantee my death, and can see I've used a little dash before the skill. It's easy to predict if the enemy understands my class.
    giphy.gif
    (Yes, it's too fast in a bad way, not asking for BDO combat. The majority of players are casuals and this might scare them away, at least from engaging in PvP)

Option 3: Second cancel.
    Only wanted to use the block part of it? or realized it was a bad idea? No problem! Total freedom! The character reacts as fast as the player can react. At least the Rogue class should have this much freedom.
    giphy.gif

The 4th function is using the second version without a target, just for gaining distance (mobility). The downside of using an attack skill that way is of course, that it will be on cooldown when it's needed offensively.

The 'cancels' part is mainly for Mage's melee skills or melee (secondary)classes.
    350px-Blizzard_Description.png
    You did fine with Blizzard, it is a melee and it can be cancelled, but perhaps the player just wanted to reach 5 stacks with it for the Freeze, is pressing the skill again the only way to cancel out of it? I don't like the idle time of falling animation, make it cancellable with Blink. The animation looks silly but the idea of floating by itself is smart because even if we turn off the effects during group PVP, we can still see him floating towards us.

2. APM speed. (Action Per Minute)
    Some players like to chill on Low-APM classes, and some players like High-APM classes because they feel more engaging, the character reacts with the player. I hope you do not neglect the high-APM lovers. It would be cool if Mage with Rogue secondary class make it more rouge-like, no casting time but with shorter range. Likewise with Battlemage(mage/fighter), which the dev in the stream was trying to play as.

The mage in the video had 30-40m casting range. The long range justifies the slow casting time on lazy tab-target spells. WoW players will probably enjoy it. It looks more Mage-like than the melee/mid-range mages we see in action combat MMOs. But again, it needs to be more mobile, have smoother casting, and reactive playstyle.
    I hope secondary classes can provide very different playstyles for the Mage in the future.

3- Unique skills. (non-combatant included)
    In the "Mage's life" video, the mage could Levitate, lift a rock blocking an area, and create a light that lighten your path. All these simple things increase the mage fantasy immersion by x10000000.
    I think this video is what got me into Ashes of Creation 6 years ago. Was it false advertisement? ;(
    We need more of these.

(Ashes of Creation's Mage in 2017)
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    The last one could be accessible by other classes, no one likes having no brightness, but mage doesn't have to pay for it. Or maybe elves/ranger/bard can call fairies/fireflies for light too?

Late EDIT: See this list of non-combat skills from WoW for inspiration.
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Utility (Skill descriptions provided in this page)
    c28923994d96fecb403e42360fd39917.png

4- The Number of Skills & Customizations.
    The more, the merrier. But as it is now, we are restricted by the number of quickslots we can drag skills into. In BDO skills have key inputs, but cannot be changed if they feel uncomfortable, and cannot use the quickslot when it's hidden. Ashes of Creation, you can do better.

For slow classes, having so many gear & skill build customizations is one of the few ways to make them fun to play and more skill-based. It's NOT fun when a 1 day old player can watch a guide(or not) and be as good as a 2 years player, which is often the case with slow classes like this Mage.

(Edit: Also, the keys you've chosen are difficult to reach.
    a4ed1a238bc59ced27b0955ce373fce8.png

Instead of stretching your hand to press Shift+8, it would've been more intuitive and professional if you've chosen the keys near WASD as the default settings [Any key within reach of left hand without leaving WASD].

[Keys with red dots are they keys reachable with left hand, and the keys I assigned my quickslots into]
    5a12c2cabdacfd1ff2698283bea84f50.png

Leave Shift/Alt+numbers for selecting teammates [alt+tab for self-target] or if a skill has two functions like Cleric have, hold shift to alternate, or switch quickslots, menus, or simply for more skills since it's reachable)

Spent so much time on this. I hope this was actually helpful x_x
    Peace be to you. <3
  • As a Caster Main my suggestions are:
    -Ball Lightning should bounce off solid surfaces, not absorb into them. This way you can bank the Ball off walls, corners and doorways.
    -I'd like the Mage Cone of Cold to affect the grass the same way melee attacks do, and I'd like the swirling smoke icons it has to be removed, and replaced by snow.
    -Arcane Volley should also take on the previous elemental spell cast, and it should also have a click-and-hold to keep firing waves of missiles until you run out of MP if you choose.
    -Sleep needs a very distinct and easily identifiable sound effect when it hits you or a monster, and an above-the-head animation of sleep bubbles would be a nice visual indicator for our spastic melee friends of which mobs to not hit!
    -I'd like to see a reflective glass-like finish on Ice Bolt, and the ticking ice mines for the entire duration they're active.
    -Lightning Bolt is too thin.
    -Blizzards falling ice should not make water waves when they hit the ground, they should shatter into shards/snow.
    -Mages should be able to spend points into Blizzard to toggle it's targeting style from Caster-Outward, to placed AoE.
    -The Earth spell the Golem was using, the Earth chunks were too round and smooth looking, they need to be more earth clod looking, because they just got violently blasted out of the ground, not eroded by water for 1000 years.
    Overall, I like the direction you're taking the Mage and I hope it's Spells can combo off of other team member combos for additional damage as well.
  • How do you feel about the Mage Archetype so far?

Fukn excited, looks like it'll be a blast and won't make me want to bolt... Myself.

How do you feel about being able to move while casting spells? Do you like the agency given to you, or does it feel unnatural?

Depends on the spell, lightning Kamehameha? Stand still and scream internally while you pray a walking vegetable doesn't punch you out. Floating in the air? Makes sense to me.

How do you feel about the transitions between spells? Does this feel natural to you?

With the wand yes, looks like it still needs work with other weapons.. no real surprise there at this point in dev.

How do you feel about the general or rotational complexity of the Mage Archetype? Does it feel too simple, too hard, or just right?

Just right. It looks like a class that you can play casually with simpler rotations, or become a god with unlimited powerrrrr(not actually, just feel like it).

Rolling up on the party with my bag of tricks and seeing the huge impact on the battlefield.

What are your favorite Mage archetypes in other games? Please provide examples when applicable.

Skyrim, it feels like a personal vendetta to melt a rat's face off while your hand is outstretched, or the BOOMs of repeated fireballs/lightning bolts. I saw some of this in the spells displayed, really exciting.

Is there anything in particular you’re excited, or concerned about regarding what was shown with the Mage Archetype?

It looks to me like an autistically curated spell list can be made to effectively tackle almost every situation you might find yourself in. The sheer implications of spell interactions speaks volumes to the true scope of the skill design the Intrepid team is working on. The mage skills are simultaneously straightforward and devious, but focused on direct combat. Yes, you can directly CC, you can also CC during a big combo if you land everything. But you could also just do BIG DAMAGE if your tank has CC covered, or the ranger just landed behind them and went pew pew pew. It looks FUN.

On this update I may be too excited to see any real things to criticize other than I'm not much of a fan of the path the ice magic took, I want to see more frost in the air. Yes I know that kills performance but I live in Wisconsin and ice growing upwards out of the soil looks wrong to me. Oh. You know what? With some tweaks it could look like frozen waves, and that, that I can get behind whole hog.
    Having now seen the phase 2 mage, I still feel the phase 1 ranger will be the pinnacle of 1vs1. I realise the ranger can change in phase 2 so we'll see what happens. Of course, a mage can sleep a ranger but the sleep breaks with damage so the ranger would awaken and the fiasco would repeat.

The mage dying to tame mobs wasn't the best showcase. I really don't like the mobs chosen for the reveals. I still feel a mix of ranged mobs and physical mobs would be the best showcase material. Then again, Mage has to reach Phase 3 but I'm not sure if that will be before A2.

All in all, phase 2 mage is better than phase 1 mage.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • EddBopKinsEddBopKins Member
    edited May 2023
    as someone who has been playing guild wars 2 pvp for the past 11years, this game is looking like it going to be my new thing for another decade. however, i do see the potential for better or improved graphics and animations. the mage showcase looked fun to play and im excited to play it. coming from guild wars 2 that is shiny and flashy i see the potential that this has. with the ability to use almost any weapon the possibilities of fun seem endless.
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    To help guide this conversation, here are a few thought starters you can choose from:

It’s pretty, once the animations are polished it’ll be even prettier.

• How do you feel about being able to move while casting spells? Do you like the agency given to you, or does it feel unnatural?

We need some skill shot and free-aim demonstrations to actually determine whether or not mage will have player agency for a hybrid game. I’d like to see it played in a complete hybrid manner.

• How do you feel about the transitions between spells? Does this feel natural to you?

I’d have to be in the game to actually test that.

• How do you feel about the general or rotational complexity of the Mage Archetype? Does it feel too simple, too hard, or just right?

It’s not complex for a veteran mmo player, but it should prove a learning curve for a newer player. I think you have a sweet spot here for the Mage.

• What excites you about playing as, with, or against the Mage Archetype?
    Being a Tulnar Summoner, being friends with all the mages I like, and grinding all the mages I don’t like into paste.

• What are your favorite Mage archetypes in other games? Please provide examples when applicable.
    Asherons Call mage is still the best mage to date, the rest pale in comparison.

• Is there anything in particular you’re excited, or concerned about regarding what was shown with the Mage Archetype?

I feel pretty indifferent, I am wondering where the hybrid play for mage is I share that sentiment with many people that hybrid is supposed to incorporate elements of action combat into it, which shouldn’t be much given that you created Apocalypse.

Additional Feedback:

The bulk of the mages abilities existed in various tab games, I really would like to see the demonstrations played in a proper hybrid fashion so we can further analyze and give you precise and accurate feedback.

The most unique thing in that kit was the archetype-to-weapon interaction and that actually to me is an Ashes of Creation team thing that I don't think I've ever seen in that manner across my myriad of games, that kind of design and creativity is an accent which will make Ashes, Ashes.

That concern extends to all of the other archetypes as well, as many of the abilities listed have the same mechanics in tab based games, I’d like to see the hybrid combat reflect mechanics that we would typically see in an action mmo as well.

Such as but not limited to Darkfall, Darkfall Unholy Wars, Conquerors Blade, TERA, and even Apocalypse actually has really nice elements of good action combat, Valheim also has a lot of nice elements of combat that could be incorporated into the hybrid combat system.

• AmetsAmets Member
    Hello AOC team,
    and thank you for developing such an amazing game.
    My unique remark, in my humble opinion, about the mage’s spells is that some are in opposition with the very beautifull and immersive game you are creating. As a big pinky, flashy donut in a wonderful scene.
    in détails:
    Blink: very cool steam cloud animation but why it is not coloured with a more natural purple tainted steam instead of this can of paint.
    Shield: chewing gum bubble? amazing texture but too marked out. Imagine a more natural aura with the same texture.
    Ball of lightning: What an energy in that ball! fantastic! but again, why this awfull bubble? The way the lightnings are flashing all around the central sphere is large enough. I really get stunned by this electric ball, but the bubble…
    Blizzard; Great! just the size of the falling icy crystal is not in proportion with a natural effect.
    Cone of cold: same remark as blizzard
    Lightning strike, Sleep, Chain Lightning, Arcane balling: perfect!

Super hyped with this mage gameplay. The way you can play with the environment, series of skills without interruption, this very mobile gameplay.
    Congratulations for this work!
    The ice looks too luminous. Needs to be toned down to look more like ice.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    something else I'd like to point out, please, when developing class kits for a game with open world PVP consider that ranged classes already have an inherent advantage against melee, what we've seen from Mage and Ranger is a ton of mobility and CC compared to the Tank for example

Tanks have an extremely low range action based dash that is useless in PVP against a ranged class, and a mid to low-range grappling skill, they need more long range gap closers, and specially they need stuns... Mages have a TAB TARGET sleep, blink that is very very long distance, slows, snares... just seems completely unbalanced - Tanks 100% need more CCs, snare, slows and ways to catch up with ranged
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Few things that you can draw your conclusions from:
    • Shield form as bubble - too generic. It can be square, triangle or any other form (cosmetics/unlockables). Simple thing - modern take.
    • "Cone of cold" ability name - looks more like a triangle animation on the ground and not a cone when cast...
    • A lot of beautiful magic animations are in Avatar the last airbender or Divinity Original Sin games. And for me much of that beauty comes not from the spell itself, but from the body cast animation (choreography). Simple example for earth projectile - caster stomps the ground with one feet, a clay brick comes out of the ground and then the caster hits the brick. To summarize this - the choreography should imply the spell type. Using same animation to cast frosbolt and lightning ball just looks very generic.
  • FalkathFalkath Member
    Mage looks amazing, exactly what I expected
    Moving slow while casting is a good idea, so fights don't feel static but still cast time is to take in consideration from mages.
    I'd like to duel mages to avoid their spells before reaching them to bring them down.
    Archeage mage in my opinion is the best to play with and against. It follows the triangle of DPS but gives a lot of chances for skilled players to fight their counters. A good mage will win archers even if it's their counter.
    I am a little concerned about the range I saw on some skills going up to 50m, this seems like a lot and could easily outclass archers who wouldn't take adventage from a bigger range and melees that'd have hard time getting close before dying.
  • ShiinShiin Member
    For the mages shield that gets activated it would be nice to see the hit points of the shield on the UI in the form of a different color over the mages health bar to note how much of a shield is left after being hit. This will help the wizard know when he should back off or recast the shield.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    another piece of general feedback that came to mind watching the Mage livestream that I'd like to share, this is very important but often overlooked by developers, it is very important to have e good audio and visual feedback when you die/kill a player character, Ashes has extremely well-made death animations with turning to Ashes and this is an amazing idea, but especially for PvP like Sieges, Wars and open world PVP, a good audio feedback when you hit other players and when you land the final death blow it's extremely important to make it satisfying with good audio feedback as well as visual, this can be both for hits on a player character and the last hit that kills him
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
    - Thanks to this showcase, I am more excited than ever for Ashes and MOSTLY sure I'm going to be focused on a frost/lightning mage. The shades of blue that frost and lightning are just glorious - LOVE the decals and dynamic animations.

-Dracthyr evoker on WoW have been incredibly fun to me this past few months because I'm so pleased with the feeling / flow of casting some spells while moving. It feels good to not be anchored in place for the majority of my rotation / repositioning. You guys knocked the drifting animation out of orbit. So good.

- I am impressed with how fluid it already looks. When I think of peak spell transition I think of Avatar the last airbender and how water benders seem to dance through their stances - I feel like the direction you're going is akin to this - nothing seemed overly "snappy" or clipped. I'm really digging how physical / kinesthetic the animations are so far.
    -
    -More on this after I can get into Alpha 2.. but I like the philosophy that was presented in this showcase - IT seems like there will be plenty of valid and VIABLE playstyles to consider. Building up charges or elemental status effects to toy with / combo seems cool.

- I'm really curious about the many ways you guys may choose to let us train / learn spells. The thought of finding unique spells or purely cosmetic effects is always thrilling when playing a mage in a new game.
    -I'm especially excited to see the augments and how subclasses will affect this archetype and the visuals. Praying for a way to turn blink blue or windy so it may be more thematic with the ice/thudner mage i'm aiming for.

What are your favorite Mage archetypes in other games? Please provide examples when applicable.
    Is there anything in particular you’re excited, or concerned about regarding what was shown with the Mage Archetype?

- I like mages that feel like benders, elemental / witchy and mysterious. I LOVE the drifting particles on the sleep animation. Arcane sleep powder is a really great visual for that. Not so much the dark purple poofs of smoke on the floor that look like shadow magic, but maybe thats what its meant to impress.
    - The wand animations look great. Hogwarts legacy has a very impressive series of flourishes and kinesthetic wand emotes - the mage showcase reminded me of that.
    - I love how creative and cinematic your animations are so far, blizzard felt like the flashiest and it certainly was not too flashy - it's already perfect in my eyes and I cant wait to use it. :')
    -SAGE from Black Desert Online is a pretty great example of a very physical caster. his doctor-strange-psychedelic wizard thing is just incredible and he's so SO fluid - best battle mage vibes I've ever played, personally. Punching spells into existence and being able to steer his teleport between appearances is AMAZING.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 2023
    I would like to see the Mage has more tool kit geared to PvP when it comes to focus fire. Healers and high DPS classes are always the first to be targeted by a team. Also I get maybe some of my suggestions maybe coming with Subclasses.

Blink to drop a AoE snare at launch point.

Bubble to add a damage shield to it as well, for anyone that melees them, or snare or root proc for short durations. Maybe 1-2 seconds.

DDs to have a random proc that added snare or root for short durations. Maybe 1-2 seconds.

Sleep to be an instant cast. The long cast time is not helpful. You get 2-3 people focus firing on the Mage and it will be a death sentence trying to cast it. I do agree this should stay a cone effect even if its changed to insta cast,

Shooting around corners is cool but can more depth be added to this, with maybe an invisibility spell that breaks with any action including casting. Would be cool to walk invis on the battle field and targeting someone and then hiding behind a rock or in a bush and start casting.

I just feel, the current tool kits does not lend well to PvP but is well designed for PvE.
    Still needs to be indicators of intent for mobs. Would be nice to be able to see the cast bar of a mob and also have chance to block or dodge bigger skills. Right now, the mage took rocks to the face and lost half health without any indicator, warning or cast bar to provoke a dodge or block.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Neurath wrote: »
    Still needs to be indicators of intent for mobs. Would be nice to be able to see the cast bar of a mob and also have chance to block or dodge bigger skills. Right now, the mage took rocks to the face and lost half health without any indicator, warning or cast bar to provoke a dodge or block.

Agreed or the animations need to be longer and or more telling.
  • Draaz3nDraaz3n Member
    While I think it was cool seeing a Mage Fighter and how it would look to not pick a pure class/subclass combo, I don't believe the mage showcase was the best time to do it.

By all means, I want to see all the unique combinations, but as an introduction to the class development you have done so far I don't think the timing was quite right.

In my opinion, we need to see how each class works on its own, and if you want to show us what combination archetypes can do to a main class do it after the class reveal.
  • ZyllosZyllos Member
    Draaz3n wrote: »
    While I think it was cool seeing a Mage Fighter and how it would look to not pick a pure class/subclass combo, I don't believe the mage showcase was the best time to do it.

By all means, I want to see all the unique combinations, but as an introduction to the class development you have done so far I don't think the timing was quite right.

In my opinion, we need to see how each class works on its own, and if you want to show us what combination archetypes can do to a main class do it after the class reveal.

Yes, I kinda view the Mage archetype update is just showing the whole archetype. Like it's a bucket of all abilities. But, when you include the archetype combinations, you will see how much variation/talent/mutation changes will really change the overall base archetype.

At least, this is what I am hoping.
  • KesarakkKesarakk Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One

Feels like IS is delivering on their promise with the class. I love how it still looks like a mage no matter if it's ranged or melee.
    Nothing annoys me more than when I am setting up my aoe rotation and the tank suddenly decides they don't want to stand in my blizzard anymore and now I have to spend more mana and have less up time on my dps because of it. Having some agency in this regard feels great. However, I also worry about potential metas where ranged classes would be untouchable in PVP situations due to their high mobility with running casts.
    I think it is fine. There is no need to draw attention to spell-weaving unless it's a major CD, in which case it should be flashy. Otherwise, looks great!
    I'll have to test for myself, especially since every spell wasn't used in the showcase and how they can synergize other than lightning and frost. From what is shown, it makes perfect sense and will be a lot of fun to master it in game.
    The versatility that will be in Ashes. Being able to choose if not only the type of spells I want to focus on but what weapons I use. I'm so sick of being restricted to a BiS staff/wand/dagger/etc. Having the choice of what weapon fits my mage fantasy is all I could have ever hoped for in the game.
    I love the Mage in World of Warcraft. Though I am no good at Fire or Arcane, I love their visuals and how they play... I just suck at them. Frost mage has always been my old faithful. Simple kit with predictable outcomes and procs.

Frost Mage example: Tank has pulled a large pack of mobs. I know I need to get my Frozen Orb out asap so I can proc my instant blizzard. Then I spend the rest of my time spamming Ice Lance because the targets are frozen and I have talented it so my Ice Lance explodes to surrounding mobs in impact. Cleave on top of aoe. Chef's kiss for large pulls.

Excited: The hybridity of the Mage being in both ranged and melee. The choice of picking what I want to do in a given situation has my nerd brain in over drive. Do I spam Cone of Cold and drop a Blizzard or will I stun with lightning and cleave with my sword. LOVE IT!

Concerned: The Blizzard. I don't like how it looks almost melee exclusive while other spells are ranged exclusive. I want options to be one or the other to help refine my own playstyle. I.E. I can decide if my Blizzard is under me at all times (melee) or traditionally ranged, or if I can cast my lightning ball to a static location (ranged) or send it out in a straight line and hope the tank doesn't move again by the time it reaches the mobs.
  • ArkainiArkaini Member
    Let me start off by saying. I am not a person who tends to post on forums and ask for changes because I feel it never happens or is heard.

But been following this game for a long time and waiting for a2, what you guys have done with the Mage and the visual appeal to the eyes it w quite remarkable. The class looks great the controls seem well, the spells going up and down the environment is something that many games get wrong

Would like to make sure you guys understand that I am very pleased at what is going on and hoping sometime in the near future I can get into a2 and just feel the game myself.

Keep up the great work thanks
    Arkaini
  • ELRYNOELRYNO Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Firstly, very good job on the showcase. Much better presentation, a repeat of the revised tank showcase so well done! Secondly, I'd really like to try and understand a bit better as to how much feedback you want us to provide at this stage? Is it the animations, VFX, SFX? Is it the damage, cooldowns and mana costs?

Personally, I have been lining up to play a Battle-Mage since the archetype combinations were released and this showcase felt lacklustre to me from a melee combat point of view. I have been a huge advocate since A1 for abilities to adapt to the weapon that you wield and the combat shown during the livestream reinforced this for me. You may not have these ready yet, but please comment on how augments and weapon skills will alter spells for melee use, perhaps not all of them, but certainly for classes like the mage that will have so many melee archetypes to choose from.

It looked awkward to watch the mage cast the lightning ball, blink into combat, cast 1 ability, auto attack and then hard cast in melee range. It looked jarring to me as someone who is looking for a hybrid combat mage that I believe should have the majority of their abilities be instant cast & medium ranged. There was also very little visual indication of the stacking "frozen" or "shocked" status.

I cannot accurately comment on if it feels unnatural until I get my hands on it. However from looking at it, it looks interesting but relatively useless in melee range with the slow effect placed on the player whilst casting.

I'm not sure what you mean by "transition" if you mean the frost to lightning cross over then it seems okay, but again, more visual indication of status effects for helping a player to transition spell school. I feel like perhaps 10 stacks is too many? But again, augments might change this? Which is why I think it's so important to start discussing these in a bit more detail specific to the classes in the livestreams. Even if it's just your intentions of how certain spells might interact differently.

I can't give an accurate opinion until I get my hands on it. But from a visual only, the rotation was bland and lacked any real sense of "impact". Get to 10 stacks and swap magic school just didn't hit me with that, "this is incredible" sentiment that some people have. There were no spell procs for rotational diversity that lead to damage ramp. It just felt very one note, this has been my opinion for all of the class previews so far.

What excites me is what the melee mage COULD be. Using heavy armour whilst wielding a shield and sword, throwing fireballs around? Sounds glorious to me.

Personally, I don't know many mage archetypes In other games that are melee focused. However what I would say is that the Death Knight in wow is what I would say is as close to what I believe a battle mage should be from a combat perspective. The ability to wear heavy armour whilst being able to cast medium range spells, utilising melee combat to generate core rotational diversity. Using spells for gap closers, positional aoe and spell shields. Please look to this sort of thing for inspiration regarding melee mage / summoner.

Is there anything in particular you’re excited, or concerned about regarding what was shown with the Mage Archetype

I am concerned primarily about the lack of discussion around augments / talents / weapon skills and how these impact the ranged / melee archetype choices. As part of a showcase I would have thought that this would be key, given the time that has elapsed since A1. I was hoping for more, for all of the classes if I'm honest. Even if it was a single augment for each class that was shown or discussed in detail.

Do you want feedback on the VFX of spells at this stage? If so, the lightning ball, single target lightning spell and magic shield spell looked lack lustre when compared to the rest of the kit.
  • Lark WyllLark Wyll Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    Mage looked very good. Much further along than what we saw for the others. For thunder/lightning spells i am partial to a vertical storm strike that sends a bolt down to strike the ground at a target area with a booming clap audio. Weapon hoist upwards animation followed by the strike.

I hope the other roles are given the same treatmant. Mage looks much more satisfying and interesting to play compared to the other roles we've gained glimpses of thus far.
    u3usdraa7gs1.png

• Vaknar wrote: »
    I thought it looked like good fun, and had a nice wide set of skills and uses.
    Vaknar wrote: »
    It depends on the skill. For the bigger skills that pack a punch, I'd be comfortable with them being rooted, but the smaller skills like firebolt/lightningbolt/etc I'd be surprised to not be able to move.
    It didn't feel weird while I was watching, so it must have been fine.
    It seems to be a: pick up and play, but if you want to play it really well then put some thought into it
    I like that approach.
    As in Q1, it looks to have a nice wide range of uses. And we've not even seen everything yet.
    I'm a bit of a pyrophile, so I usually like to play Fire Mages when I get the chance.
    I'm just excited to see how the other archetypes augment with it. But, that'll come later. :)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Overall impressions: Love how the mage is looking! Can't wait to see what the augments on these skills will let us do :)

1. Player Agency - How do you feel about the amount of mobility that you have with spells?
    I would like mages to be able to move at 60% speed while casting - currently it looks like they'll be sitting ducks given the huge cast times, considering what we've seen so far from other classes. Thoughts:
    • If a mage tries to blink into a group of opponents to channel blizzard, enemies will scatter quickly and ranged opponents get free shots on the mage. I'd like to move the storm just a little more to adjust to opponents' reactions (so we can force people backwards, or retreat a little if we went a bit too deep... which is a likely scenario given the small size of this skill's AoE compared to player movement speed) - that is, unless you have plans to have a stat line like "slows have x% reduced effect on you" allowing mages to move more while casting - at the expense of investing equipment into higher mobility. some options.
    • The zoning that mages have in their kits looks really good! The more zoning tools we have, the more fun mobility skills become for everyone.
    • The visual cue for putting people to sleep is not readable.

2. Skill Transitions - Does it look good, does it look clunky?
    Character animations looked great me - but I don't think I have fresh eyes anymore - probably need input from newer members on this aspect. Only 2 transitions looked odd to me:
    • the way the lightning orb expires (just pops out of existence) - could implode/explode at the end and fizzle out instead.
    • lightning orb's path along the ground could do with some smoothing - is this expensive?
    • for the "charge up" animation on arcane volley - could it pulse x times for each volley it's going to fire as it's charging up? Or maybe that's too distracting? I'm ok either way.

3. Kit Complexity - Do you want something more/less complicated?
    For me, this kit has a comfortable low-medium complexity that I could build on top of - but I don't expect to be able to pull off those combos against other players without some help to hold opponents still for a moment - which is fine. For my brother, this kit is on the complicated side - but his playstyle is "go in, hit face" - so I think it's in a good spot.
    I will say, what you've shown makes me want to have tradeoff options to choose between the following (via augments/legendary items/whatever else):
    • I want to detonate those skills. I want to be able to detonate the lightning orb. Or the frost mines. I'd be happy to trade base damage for detonation damage to do this.
    • I want to have the option to make the lightning orb move slower, but it homes on opponents.
    • I'd like the option to switch around the elements: lightning orb --> snowball, blizzard --> lightningstorm
    • I'd like to be able to change blizzard into a defensive tool that does less damage to enemies, but encases me in ice armor during cast while still slowing enemies around me.
    • I'd like alternative ways to interact with elemental status effects in a way that isn't so focused on maxing hits per second. Perhaps lightning strike could consume all stacks on an enemy for a bonus multiplier - so you're incentivized to charge it up to maximum. (and then you can invest into "overcharge lightning strike" etc.)
    • If I pull out a melee weapon as a mage, I want to imbue the weapon with the elements - While I appreciate the AoE synergy with the greatsword, it doesn't hit the class fantasy of "1000 degree knife cuts a tree" or "thunderblade" - know what I mean? This might just be a visual thing - would be really cool if the blade "collects" elemental ailments that enemies are suffering and becomes a sort of glowing mjolnir or what have you.

Other thoughts:
    - can you freeze enemy animations while they're frozen (I also like the short "shiver" animation that some games do when you first become frozen), and add a distinct sfx for shatter? perhaps something that builds up as you gain stacks towards becoming frozen?
    - can enemies affected by elemental debuffs have a small spark/flame/crystal particle effect whenever elemental effects are triggered on them?
    - as a bard, I'd like to make use of a mage's lingering zoning skills, sitting right next to an icicle mine daring opponents to come closer :wink: or travelling inside the mage's lightning orb
    - my old mage fantasy used to be about pulling ribbons of runes from a book and using it in combat - a bit like LoL's Ryze, but more ribbony. Here's a stable diffusion concept I just mocked up:
    rec7bc0abclh.png

THAT GLIDING THOUGH - That looked AMAZING. The mount was cool too, but that glide was just *chef's kiss* and I can't wait for it! I'm optimistic about the speed of gliding you showed allowing us to reach the action and get settled in quickly, though I think it's going to make the world feel smaller too (probably can traverse the world in like... 30 minutes now?). Are you ok for players to swoop in and drop nukes immediately?
    Getting off your mount is going to feel like a commitment.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • AliceAlice Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2023
    Alice wrote: »

The least you could do is add an iframe on that dodge roll, or give every Archetype their own unique iframe dash similar to the triple dashes shown in melee combat. 20 seconds cooldown Blink isn't enough for kiting.

Remember when I wrote about adding an iframe to dodge roll or an iframe dash unique to each class?
    Two days ago a trailer of a new upcoming MMO Odyssey was released and it has these things.
    giphy.gif
    Sooooooo cleeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaan o((>ω< ))o

Ashes of Creation, you need to step up your game, whether you like it or not, an MMO focused on group content requires a decent population, and for a decent population the combat is undoubtedly the deciding factor. Please.