Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tulnar Architecture Fantasy

SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Now that Tulnar have been partially revealed.

What do you envision Tulnar architecture to look like?

I envision Black Metal / Obsidian Glass design pieces with bioluminescence intricately and delicately woven into the pieces.

Comments

• renadedanterenadedante Member, Intrepid Pack
    Solvryn wrote: »

I envision Black Metal / Obsidian Glass design pieces with bio-luminescence intricately and delicately woven into the pieces.

This is pretty close to what I'm thinking! I'm expecting it to change based on where the buildings are placed in the underrealm. I would loovvvveee to see obsidian/or a dark metal with little details of bio-luminescence to really give that pop. I'm excited of the options just thinking of it! :)
    [NA] Pandemonium| PVE focused | RP PVX | Tulnar | Divine Node
    Come check us out!
  • LashingLashing Member
    I still want hobbit architecture. Round doors and windows, Low profile buildings and or built into the side of hills and mountains
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I envision Black Metal / Obsidian Glass design pieces with bio-luminescence intricately and delicately woven into the pieces.

This is pretty close to what I'm thinking! I'm expecting it to change based on where the buildings are placed in the underrealm. I would loovvvveee to see obsidian/or a dark metal with little details of bio-luminescence to really give that pop. I'm excited of the options just thinking of it! :)

Yeah, it's instantly my go to when thinking about Tulnar.

• Tulnar are gross. Maybe they've learned to burrow nests into their accumulated mountains of dung, over the last three millenia of living underground?

Tulnar are gross. Maybe they've learned to burrow nests into their accumulated mountains of dung, over the last three millenia of living underground?

This sounds like a Kaelar or Empyrean take, starbucks drinker.
  • Solvryn wrote: »

I envision Black Metal / Obsidian Glass design pieces with bioluminescence intricately and delicately woven into the pieces.

I like all of this! Given the variety of the Tulnar’s physical features, it makes me wonder if they were tribal in structure or if they were a homogenous group. If the former, it would be interesting if they had their own unique visual style manifested in the architecture in different parts of the under realm to differentiate the various cultural areas. Maybe some of them leave near volcanic activity, so there’s a bunch of obsidian, lava trickling like little streams, pretty dark and gothic with grand mordor-like structures.

https://www.thetolkienforum.com/wiki-asset/?pid=792ew3po0lr3ag0.jpeg

Then maybe in another area, things are more natural and less structured, sort of like the caves Deethra hails from in The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Lots of bioluminescent fungus, flora, and creatures. Lots of underground water sources. Dark, misty, natural, and mysterious.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5e73815d51d75711a1ffe1fb/1601062083341-F1CTI667SPWYZ9D4XVZQ/Domrak_DomrakEstSketches_v001_023.jpg?format=1000wmxqr6toktt21.jpeg

Perhaps another area could be closer to the surface, a bit of an underground oasis with vast spans of moss beds, waterfalls, hanging vine flora, a bit brighter and more colorful than the last one. Perhaps some trees that evolved to be bioluminescent and give off light rather than needing it to grow, so these caverns are much brighter than the others. Architecture could be more structured without being so dark and edgy looking, a bit closer to typical dwarf architecture, or perhaps hobbit style in terms of coziness.
    Sengarden wrote: »

I like all of this! Given the variety of the Tulnar’s physical features, it makes me wonder if they were tribal in structure or if they were a homogenous group. If the former, it would be interesting if they had their own unique visual style manifested in the architecture in different parts of the under realm to differentiate the various cultural areas. Maybe some of them leave near volcanic activity, so there’s a bunch of obsidian, lava trickling like little streams, pretty dark and gothic with grand mordor-like structures.

https://www.thetolkienforum.com/wiki-asset/?pid=792ew3po0lr3ag0.jpeg

Then maybe in another area, things are more natural and less structured, sort of like the caves Deethra hails from in The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Lots of bioluminescent fungus, flora, and creatures. Lots of underground water sources. Dark, misty, natural, and mysterious.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5e73815d51d75711a1ffe1fb/1601062083341-F1CTI667SPWYZ9D4XVZQ/Domrak_DomrakEstSketches_v001_023.jpg?format=1000wmxqr6toktt21.jpeg

Perhaps another area could be closer to the surface, a bit of an underground oasis with vast spans of moss beds, waterfalls, hanging vine flora, a bit brighter and more colorful than the last one. Perhaps some trees that evolved to be bioluminescent and give off light rather than needing it to grow, so these caverns are much brighter than the others. Architecture could be more structured without being so dark and edgy looking, a bit closer to typical dwarf architecture, or perhaps hobbit style in terms of coziness.

I dig it.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Wouldn't the tulnar just build like the ancients?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Lashing wrote: »
    I still want hobbit architecture. Round doors and windows, Low profile buildings and or built into the side of hills and mountains

The py'rai have some buildings that are close to this. c:
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • DiuraDiura Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In the underrealm, I always imagined the architecture as being composed of burrows and structures carved out of crystals and rock, with influences from the original races. Above the surface, I'd imagine the same influence, with buildings decorated with rocks and crystals mined from the underrealm. It would feel like a home away from home ^^
    8st3lhnx21to.png
  • Solvryn wrote: »

hoots made out of mud
  • I really hope that none of the Player Races are depicted as primitive through their cultural design. They should all have their elements of sophistication IMO.
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    I really hope that none of the Player Races are depicted as primitive through their cultural design. They should all have their elements of sophistication IMO.

Agreed, there are plenty of avenues of cultural expression, flint mapping is an unnecessary.
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited May 2023
    1920px-AshesOfCreation_69.jpg

Points of interest will exist that represent Tulnar npc structures. In the similar fashion that the starting areas around divine gateways will include expeditionary npc settlements not tied to the node structures but serve as initial quest origination points.[50] – Steven Sharif

Well, this is the picture from the wiki that accompanies the "Tulnar NPC structures" text. Dunno if that means the architecture is more plant-based, or if this just happened to be the picture showing when they were talking about it on-stream.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    edited May 2023
    Link doesn't work mate :(

Edit. Thanks for the fix.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »
    Link doesn't work mate :(

Edit. Thanks for the fix.

Yeah, I was a doofus and put the img tag half-way through the url.....
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    I do like that picture though. I might go live in a Tulnar Node as a pariah lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    daveywavey wrote: »
    1920px-AshesOfCreation_69.jpg

Points of interest will exist that represent Tulnar npc structures. In the similar fashion that the starting areas around divine gateways will include expeditionary npc settlements not tied to the node structures but serve as initial quest origination points.[50] – Steven Sharif

Well, this is the picture from the wiki that accompanies the "Tulnar NPC structures" text. Dunno if that means the architecture is more plant-based, or if this just happened to be the picture showing when they were talking about it on-stream.

It’ll definitely interest to see what we get.
  • CawwCaww Member
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    I really hope that none of the Player Races are depicted as primitive through their cultural design. They should all have their elements of sophistication IMO.

I'm going with this...