Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Office Hours: Mage Archetype Discussion - Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 11AM PST

RoshenRoshen Moderator, Member, Staff
edited June 2023 in Announcements
Office Hours is an opportunity to join the player discussion on topics we're actively collecting feedback on. Join @Roshen and @Vaknar over in the Ashes of Creation Discord for a voice chat during our next Community Office Hours on Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 11AM PST (convert to your local time). This event should last about one hour.

This is not a Q&A session. For this session, we will be using Discord Stage. Every 8 minutes, we’ll be bringing up small groups of players to participate in one of the discussion prompts on this topic.

1b2rio1h1hhq.jpeg
DISCUSSION TOPIC

The Mage Archetype, based on what we shared during the April 2023 Development Update Livestream, will be our main focus this time. The forum feedback thread for this topic is here.

In this session, we’ll break each of the 8 minute segments up to focus on one of these conversations:
  • General Mage Discussion - What excites you about playing as, with, or against the Mage Archetype?
  • Mage Ability Complexity - How do you feel about the general or rotational complexity of the Mage Archetype? Does it feel too simple, too hard, or just right?
  • Mage Movement While Casting - How do you feel about being able to move while casting spells? Do you like the agency given to you, or does it feel unnatural?
  • Mana Management - How much should mana be a contributing factor to a Mage's total output over longer encounters? Do you think a Mage should be required to stop and rest, or should a skilled Mage have the means of sustaining themselves infinitely?
  • Long-Ranged vs Close-Ranged - Do you prefer a majority of your spells to be cast from a distance, or do you want to get in the fray to cast more powerful spells (and expect defensive abilities to help with this)?
If you’d like to contribute to this discussion, we recommend you watch the “Ashes of Creation Alpha Two Mage Archetype Preview” video, before this Community Office Hours session.

Thanks again! We look forward to chatting with you all soon!
community_management.gif

Comments

• kinovandimionkinovandimion Member
    edited May 2023
    I sincerely hope Necromancer / pets will be discussed~
    even in brief!
  • When i look back to the pre Alpha ''A Mages life Video'' i hope to see the Iconic Item Set that was used from the Mage ingame in the future :) !

The ''Walking while casting'' question was a 100% yes for me. we all know the typical ''Static'' Mage from Back then but i think THAT is more unnatural.
    Moving while casting looks and feels more natural i think.

uwu
  • RoshenRoshen Moderator, Member, Staff
    I sincerely hope Necromancer / pets will be discussed~
    even in brief!

We'll be discussing the Mage Archetype during this session, not the Summoner Archetype (Necromancer is Summoner/Cleric).

Since we only have about an hour for this session, we try to keep discussions on topic. Posting discussion prompts like this in advance hopefully helps people who want to be part of this conversation.
    community_management.gif
    This thread is to discuss the Office Hours program, where groups of players discuss the discussion prompts over voice chat with us.
    Izzetin wrote: »
    The ''Walking while casting'' question was a 100% yes for me

If you have feedback to share on the Mage Archetype prior to this session, the best place to share it is in the thread here: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/55467/feedback-request-alpha-two-mage-updates-shown-in-the-april-livestream/p1

community_management.gif
  • coochcooch Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i personally feel like what was presented to us, besides for cleaning up a couple of animations, is great. as far as mana managment i think that the aoe attacks should be taxing for ur mana while single target attacks should be more conservative. and for the distance i think its more fitting for it to be to be mostly long ranged (except for archetypes like the spellsword) as long as the melee archetypes have the potential to close the gap.
  • HeljyHeljy Member
    Hi ! As you know, the French suffer from a terrible lack of English. unfortunately the curse did not spare me. How about creating a written version of these chats, for people who aren't comfortable with a voice chat?
    edited May 2023
    Heljy wrote: »
    Hi ! As you know, the French suffer from a terrible lack of English. unfortunately the curse did not spare me. How about creating a written version of these chats, for people who aren't comfortable with a voice chat?

This is a time to get players together, and let them discuss their feedback together. If you're looking for something similar in the written format, the livestream feedback thread here is that.

Not everyone that attends Office Hours gets in voice chat. Some participants just like listening. Since we only bring up a few speakers to the stage, not everyone does have the opportunity to speak over voice. There are no issues at all if you want to just listen and hang out with us.
    community_management.gif
  • WestergardWestergard Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    My hype for the game is currently lower than Will Smiths self esteem.
    Will you adress the disappointment I and several others expressed about the tab targeting, slow pacing, lack of mobility and general feel of motion in the mage preview?

Especially compared to other mmorpgs coming out in the near future or already being out like GW2 and Chrono Odyssey I and several of my friends found the preview(s) severely lacking.
  • schrumpelhutschrumpelhut Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Westergard wrote: »
    My hype for the game is currently lower than Will Smiths self esteem.
    Will you adress the disappointment I and several others expressed about the tab targeting, slow pacing, lack of mobility and general feel of motion in the mage preview?

Especially compared to other mmorpgs coming out in the near future or already being out like GW2 and Chrono Odyssey I and several of my friends found the preview(s) severely lacking.

Bro all you saw from chrono odyssey was a trailer not even gameplay :D
  • WestergardWestergard Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    And it was still more exciting to look at?
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Odyssey trailers are well scripted. Until I see a let's play I would not be convinced of anything.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif