Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Corruption/pvp

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited May 2023 in General Discussion
How many of you will still be engaging in in world pvp/ ganking reguardless of corruption?

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    edited May 2023
    That highly depends on how bad the corruption balancing is.

But outside of my own attacks, I will always fight back if attacked.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    +1~5
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I dont see corruption as being all that much of a deterrent to engaging in PvP.

It may alter the outcome of PvP, however.
  • KilionKilion Member
    I'll definitely engage in PvP and on very rare occasions in PvP that has the risk of gaining corruption - as part of a greater campaign against a rival node for example.

Generally for the type of gaming experience I am looking forward to having, the corruption will be conducive rather than deterring as it will disincentivize more destructive playing styles.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Will probably try to avoid corruption until max level.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »

it will probs be better to go red at lower levels. easier to clean and you lose less, or at least, anything you lose can be cheaper to replace xD
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    Chicago wrote: »
    How many of you will still be engaging in in world pvp/ ganking reguardless of corruption?

If I don’t actually like someone, we are going to fight.

I really don’t see a point to hand holding and the “social” aspects of MMOs if there isn’t bloodlust and strife involved.

Community is only good when it’s forged in blood and steel. Iron sharpens iron…
    Depraved wrote: »
    Neurath wrote: »

it will probs be better to go red at lower levels. easier to clean and you lose less, or at least, anything you lose can be cheaper to replace xD

It would take longer to level with all the experience debt. You can just blitz through experience debt at max level and gauge how much you want to delve in. I'd never go corrupted if i had serious resources to lose.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Chicago wrote: »

There are probably a lot of variables.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • IskiabIskiab Member
    edited May 2023
    I’ll probably avoid corruption entirely and only PvP at sea. You don’t get corruption at sea so I’ll be a pirate.

Unless someone annoys me and then I’ll take them out.
  • Whenever I feel like having fun.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Yee will find me sailing the open seas 😈🦜🏴‍☠️
    community_management.gif
  • LodrigLodrig Member
    Not a PK myself, though I do really like the danger aspect they add, I once played a game called Haven & Hearth which was so hardcore that all players were subject to being killed at all times, with full loot and perma-death, even npc animals hiding behind bushes would perma-death kill you. In fact, you had to use leaches to heal and even trying to heal with them could inadvertently kill you. Oh and did I mention half the player base was Russian, and like Russia the only real defense was incredible population sparsity and the fact you spawned randomly in the world making it almost a single player survival game.
  • LodrigLodrig Member
    On a related note, I think Corruption received should scale heavily on how close to developed nodes that you are. This will lead to relatively greater safety in and around the most developed nodes and greater danger in the hinterlands.

Likewise, I've read speculation on 'open season' mechanics which would make everything outside of nodes as lawless as the high seas periodically. An in-game day/night cycle of ~45 minutes daytime/15 minutes nighttime might work well here as it allows reasonable time for travel from node to node or harvest during the day period followed by a natural 'pitstop' as casual players congregate at nodes for the night period to refine, craft and get some 1-hour duration bard buffs at the Tavern before setting out again. Alternatively, you can risk staying out at night for rare night only harvestables.
  • hleVhleV Member
    edited May 2023
    I'm gonna be PKing for all the right reasons (the other guy being an asshole, wanting their resources, contesting the area, etc.) and if it so happens to penalize me with corruption, so be it.

Then if the balance for corruption is bad, e.g. I get killed while corrupted (for the "right" reasons, not for griefing/going on killing sprees) and it procs a drop of a gear piece I worked weeks/months to obtain, I'll quit the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Everyone will define 'right reasons' and 'wrong reasons' differently, so that distinction is meaningless.

If you go red carrying valuable gear, it is a risk that you choose to take. I suspect that, if you choose to take such risks, you might not stick around very long. Getting gear off of red players is probably much easier than getting gear off of boss raids.
  • hleVhleV Member
    edited May 2023
    Indeed, if PKing for reasons other than those that the corruption system is intended to prevent (griefing, mass-murdering for fun) poses an unreasonable (IMO) risk of taking a precious item from you, then there's hardly a reason to stick around.

At that point a PvP on/off flagging system does a better job because it removes the need to make decisions that can lose you precious gear and potentially have you quit the game.

Now something like that may have worked a decade and a half ago, but now..? I have my doubts, people have way more alternatives now.

I do have some faith in devs balancing it well enough in the end, though I don't think I've heard their current opinion about corruption as a whole, like whether they're still willing to have a small chance to extremely punish for even the lowest levels of corruption.
    In l2 you would only go red for an excellent reason. Ashes has a more severe system on the whole so you would need a damn good reason to go red.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    There are definitely gonna be some folks here on the forums that will have to change their name in game or they’re going to get ran off their server.
    Was going to link my toons to my forum signature for a change. Usually I keep them separate. Might request a forum name change to match my main though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Neurath wrote: »
    Was going to link my toons to my forum signature for a change. Usually I keep them separate. Might request a forum name change to match my main though.

You’re pretty level headed I don’t see anyone that frustrated by you.
  • Simply put... if I don't experience corruption management and its challenges firsthand as a pirate or a caravan raider, I won't feel I played this game to its full extent...
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Galaturc wrote: »
    Simply put... if I don't experience corruption management and its challenges firsthand as a pirate or a caravan raider, I won't feel I played this game to its full extent...

Unfortunately(?), as it stands (depending on your perception of pirate), you will not experience any corruption for this.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

Azherae wrote: »
    Galaturc wrote: »
    Simply put... if I don't experience corruption management and its challenges firsthand as a pirate or a caravan raider, I won't feel I played this game to its full extent...

Unfortunately(?), as it stands (depending on your perception of pirate), you will not experience any corruption for this.

Also no corruption for caravan raiding lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • hleV wrote: »
    Indeed, if PKing for reasons other than those that the corruption system is intended to prevent (griefing, mass-murdering for fun) poses an unreasonable (IMO) risk of taking a precious item from you, then there's hardly a reason to stick around.

At that point a PvP on/off flagging system does a better job because it removes the need to make decisions that can lose you precious gear and potentially have you quit the game.

Now something like that may have worked a decade and a half ago, but now..? I have my doubts, people have way more alternatives now.

I do have some faith in devs balancing it well enough in the end, though I don't think I've heard their current opinion about corruption as a whole, like whether they're still willing to have a small chance to extremely punish for even the lowest levels of corruption.

I'm not sure what you mean. the corruption system will prevent mass murder because the killer will die and lose his gear. that's the deterrent. mass murder is probably not the valid reason to go pk, even tho idc lol
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    hleV wrote: »

li536lkxroov.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • edited May 2023
    considering node sieges are a whole political declaration and resource thing (monthly allowance?) and with the whole flagging thing for non-combat and their handicap feature of not being abled to be cc'd with how cc works now and corruption, sounds like they kicked a bunch of pvp community members in the dick with those design changes (no not a ganking advocate).
    I imagine there will still be a good amount of pvp and wars but it sounds like they're putting a bunch of safety nets so players can just PvE more over PvP. But that's my opinion. Quite a turn off from the game for me.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    considering node sieges are a whole political declaration and resource thing (monthly allowance?) and with the whole flagging thing for non-combat and their handicap feature of not being abled to be cc'd with how cc works now and corruption, sounds like they kicked a bunch of pvp community members in the dick with those design changes (no not a ganking advocate).
    I imagine there will still be a good amount of pvp and wars but it sounds like they're putting a bunch of safety nets so players can just PvE more over PvP. But that's my opinion. Quite a turn off from the game for me.

"Sanctioned" pvp systems like node sieges, guild wars, battlegrounds, arenas, open sea, and others (think the total is 9 or so dedicated pvp systems) are outside the flagging/corruption system. It is only those that get their kicks by killing others outside those systems that have a risk v reward to calculate.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • considering node sieges are a whole political declaration and resource thing (monthly allowance?) and with the whole flagging thing for non-combat and their handicap feature of not being abled to be cc'd with how cc works now and corruption, sounds like they kicked a bunch of pvp community members in the dick with those design changes (no not a ganking advocate).

"Sanctioned" pvp systems like node sieges, guild wars, battlegrounds, arenas, open sea, and others (think the total is 9 or so dedicated pvp systems) are outside the flagging/corruption system. It is only those that get their kicks by killing others outside those systems that have a risk v reward to calculate.

YUP
    which just proves there is less risk and more reward in the game by controlling/encouraging the pvp to this "sanctioned" gameplay encouragement. But you know what, that's ok with me because good thing there are several MMORPG's being made (especially in UE5) so as a gamer trying to find that niche to fill, there will be plenty of options in the upcoming years. The MMORPG options are going to become quite saturated for gamers to choose from in this genre niche.

Your reasoning doesn't do any justice to my perspective on the matter especially when you start adding up all the features for "safer" experience in the world. On their own, they sound great but when you start adding them all up, it does start to feel like a care bear system and design. Oh well :smile: lol it's just starting to sound quite less appealing. Could still be a good game for the demographic this appeals to.

• NiKrNiKr Member
    Your reasoning doesn't do any justice to my perspective on the matter especially when you start adding up all the features for "safer" experience in the world. On their own, they sound great but when you start adding them all up, it does start to feel like a care bear system and design. Oh well :smile: lol it's just starting to sound quite less appealing. Could still be a good game for the demographic this appeals to.
    Carebearness of the game will highly depend on content design and how costly a war declaration will be. If content pretty much requires you to have a party at all (or at least most) times - you'll probably want to join a guild to have a semi-constant group of people to play with. If you're in a guild and farming something even semi-valuable - there's other people who want to do the same and will be willing to wardec your guild. At that point they'll be free to kill you at any point in any location w/o any penalties. Same goes for node wars, caravans (that you'll need to use if you want to transfer smth or play the market), open seas, sieges (that can be forced upon your node).

Now if the content (at least the valuable one) does not require a party and/or guild war declarations cost a shitton of resources - now that would be a pretty good argument for the game being a carebear den. But both of those things will most likely get tuned and tested in later stages of alpha2, so it's hard to say either way.