Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How can we improve corruption and world pvp?

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
As it stands the community seems split on this topic, pvers seem to like the udea of corruption and harsh penalties for pking and pvpers seem to hate it, i myself think think the concept is good but the design is extremley flawed, at no point in time should a player drop armor/ gear as a result of dying in pvp, resorces and materials i can live with, so instead of having a 100 comment long argument lets brain storm some ideas to make it better for both parties,

On another post i read this week someone mentioned an idea of having corruption not come into play if you are attacked at night time, i think this is super cool and emersive, also corruption could be like a 15 minute debuff of stats after you PK but you dont lose materials or armor, what are your thoughts? For a pvx game that is mostly designed around pvp in my opinion the corruption system is way over the top, maybe there could be some zones that you are flagged in and others no

Comments

• tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Out of curiosity, why don't you think a PKer should not drop armor &/or weapons? Do you simply think that it is too harsh, or is there a logical reason behind your opinion?
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    tautau wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why don't you think a PKer should not drop armor &/or weapons? Do you simply think that it is too harsh, or is there a logical reason behind your opinion?

I think resorces is a harsh enough punishment on death, but weapons/armor is just to mucj in my opinion and not good game design, i feel like its a lazy fix for a badly designed game mechanic, dont get me wrong i think there needs to be a deturent for griefing and pking, but dropping armor or weapons isnt it
    tautau wrote: »

Also im a big believer in small weapon/armor upgrades, it needs to feel good when you get a even small upgrade and good armor or weapons need to be rare or atleast hard to make, if you can drop these on death it will prevent almost everyone from pking wich sounds good in theory but there can be many good memories made and fun times killing pkers or going arou d the world with your buddies looking for battles, i feel it removes a beautiful part of the game
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Chicago wrote: »
    at no point in time should a player drop armor/ gear as a result of dying in pvp,
    You can play the game in a manner where this is the case for you.

Your argument may well be that you don't want to limit yourself to not killing players you would otherwise kill.

How is that any different to someone not wanting to fight you being forced - by you - to do so?

I'm sure you will then turn around and say "if they don't like that, they shouldn't play this game".

To which I say "if you don't like the potential to drop items in PvP, you shouldn't play this game".

I await your response with bated breath.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    As a pvper I'm fine with gear drops, there would be other issues to talk about before that, which has already been talked about as well.

Maybe id feel the same if i didn't expect there to be other forms of pvp and ways to freely attack people. Including node and guild decs. Which has the pvp be more plan oriented than random people just pking people around the world to loot them constantly.

Xp loss, and material drop is not enough to deter someone from pvping. Exactly why they decided to add equipment drops. BDO has something akin to it, though it was more so gear downgrade if u died to a pve mob. Which was pretty much destruction at that point with the value your gear was worth.

If you want to push to change something you need to offer a suggestion to start to conversation on as an alternative. ATM best was to do that is gear drops.
    Noaani wrote: »
    at no point in time should a player drop armor/ gear as a result of dying in pvp,

Your argument may well be that you don't want to limit yourself to not killing players you would otherwise kill.

How is that any different to someone not wanting to fight you being forced - by you - to do so?

I'm sure you will then turn around and say "if they don't like that, they shouldn't play this game".

To which I say "if you don't like the potential to drop items in PvP, you shouldn't play this game".

Haha no actually mate i enjoy your perspective, we dont agree but as i said id rather hear ways to fix it a way to prevent pking without gear drops would be nice so lets think about some soñutions instead of arguing!
    edited May 2023

Haha no actually mate i enjoy your perspective, we dont agree but as i said id rather hear ways to fix it a way to prevent pking without gear drops would be nice so lets think about some soñutions instead of arguing!

There isn't anything else that can be done - not if you want a punishment that matters and has any effect at all.

Realistically, it is the only viable punishment. Players can go out and fight without resources, without gold, without anything really - except gear. I mean, if you were going to go out looking for PvP in a game where you dropped raw materials if you were killed in PvP, would you be taking raw materials out with you?

Now, obviously dropping a piece of gear per corrupt death would be too much, so Intrepid simply made it a percent chance to lose an item.

There are also advantages to the punishment being gear - players can opt to not wear their best gear for a fight if they think they can win in lesser gear. If you want to fight over some lesser resource or farming location, you may well opt to not do so in your best gear so as to not risk it for such a low value reward. The advantage here is that in doing so, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage, meaning more PvP fights will be generally closer (something I always want to see in any PvP game). This means players are able to manage their own level of risk, if they want to.

So, you have the option to just not fight someone so you never drop gear, and you also have the option to alter the risk you face by decreasing your chance of winning a fight while also decreasing the amount you stand to lose.

A system giving players multiple viable choices seems like good game design to me.
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As it stands the community seems split on this topic, pvers seem to like the udea of corruption and harsh penalties for pking and pvpers seem to hate it, i myself think think the concept is good but the design is extremley flawed, at no point in time should a player drop armor/ gear as a result of dying in pvp, resorces and materials i can live with, so instead of having a 100 comment long argument lets brain storm some ideas to make it better for both parties,

On another post i read this week someone mentioned an idea of having corruption not come into play if you are attacked at night time, i think this is super cool and emersive, also corruption could be like a 15 minute debuff of stats after you PK but you dont lose materials or armor, what are your thoughts? For a pvx game that is mostly designed around pvp in my opinion the corruption system is way over the top, maybe there could be some zones that you are flagged in and others no

I’m fine with full loot, as I’m from it. Corruption isn’t a bad idea on its face, just incomplete.

Should players be able to kill their enemies, yes. Should players be able to grief others and be an asshole? Also yes. Should there be a permanent indication that a player is an asshole well after they worked off corruption?

Also yes.

A well done honor/dishonor score system that’s a sibling system could do that.

Personally I’d swap these two, let honor/dishonor be the immediate flagging system and corruption (as it’s a spiritual theme) exist through out all of Verra again.

Solvryn wrote: »
    Should there be a permanent indication that a player is an asshole well after they worked off corruption?

Also yes.

Does PK count not approximate this?
    Should there be a permanent indication that a player is an asshole well after they worked off corruption?

Also yes.

No, because it doesn’t tell us why they PK’d.

Also yes.

If I understand what it is you are after here, there isn't a way to do this.

The game can't tell, and if you put it in the hands of players, they will abuse it.

Far better to leave it up to the game to have a basic mechanic in place that applies evenly to everyone, imo.
  • KorelaKorela Member
    PK is good way to clean the spot from bots and carebears. Mass PK is bad. Need to prevent mass PK. Let's see what we have at the wiki page about corruption:
    1. The more skill and stat dampening applies (lower health and mana, lower gear proficiency), until the corrupt player ultimately becomes ineffective at combat.This dampening only affects PvP combat.
    2. The higher chance of dropping of carried raw materials and gear (Weapons and Armor) when the corrupted player dies.
    3. The wider the level disparity between the players, and the higher the attacker's PK value, the more corruption they gain.
    4. Corrupt players suffer death penalties at four times the rate of a non-combatant.
    5. A corrupt player’s location is revealed to bounty hunters on their world map.
    6. There is a 60 second timer to logout while corrupt. Force-disconnecting the client during the cooldown will leave the character in-game.
    7. And some minor things like disability to use warehouses...

Do we really need all of this? For me, [1, 3, 5, 6, 7] is enough to not to go for mass PK and noob-PK especially. The [4] is managable, it seems like kinda fair risk-reward balance. But the [2] stops me from PK if I am alone. There is no reason to have a chance to lose my gear I farmed for ~a few months. And if I cannot (well, I can, but risk=months vs reward=10 mins, so I can't if I am sane) protect my spot from bots and carebears, why would I go to waste my time at the open zones? Seems like instance zones-carebears-bots-RMT enforcing (or hardly favoring) rule.

Also yes.

The game can't tell, and if you put it in the hands of players, they will abuse it.

Far better to leave it up to the game to have a basic mechanic in place that applies evenly to everyone, imo.

I have been pretty vague, more than likely it needs a greater explanation.

• NiKrNiKr Member
    I'm kinda hung up on the "equipped" part of this
    Any amount of corruption allows a player to drop equipped gear upon death. The higher the corruption the greater the chances.

What if we only drop literally the stuff we're wearing and not the stuff in our inventory? At that point all you gotta do is carry a weak set with you that you can PK in. There, problem solved. No "took-a-month-to-farm" gear lost.

This is just yet another reason why I think it's silly to discuss and argue about this system. We've got no clue about the details.
  • KorelaKorela Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    What if we only drop literally the stuff we're wearing and not the stuff in our inventory? At that point all you gotta do is carry a weak set with you that you can PK in. There, problem solved. No "took-a-month-to-farm" gear lost.
    If so, then fine. Wearing cheap equip during the corrupt state is manageable (if I have enough inventory space and wieght limits, heh). But it sounds strange. Why just don't apply even more "skill and stat dampening"? That's why I assumed that it won't work this way :|

Also yes.

I have been pretty vague, more than likely it needs a greater explanation.

Probably.
    Korela wrote: »
    If so, then fine. Wearing cheap equip during the corrupt state is manageable (if I have enough inventory space and wieght limits, heh). But it sounds strange. Why just don't apply even more "skill and stat dampening"? That's why I assumed that it won't work this way :|

My assumption is that it will be dropped gear only, and we will not have access to our inventory while corrupt to change out gear.

It was only a few years ago people were arguing that corrupt players could just go back to their freehold to drop off any gear of value. People were adamant that this was a fatal flaw in corruption, and many of us (or, at least me) pointed out that they can just remove access to storage for corrupt players. These people pointed to Intrepid having specifically said corrupt players won't have access to in node storage as proof that Intrepid intends for this to be a thing.

Then Intrepid came along and said you won't have access to storage on your freehold while corrupt.

To me, the intent behind the system (as I said back then) would mean that the gear you gain corruption in is the gear you are risking loosing.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    On another post i read this week someone mentioned an idea of having corruption not come into play if you are attacked at night time, i think this is super cool and emersive

This is an interesting idea, although I don't think it would work in an mmorpg. It's common in single-player games to have more dangerous creatures come out at night, but most of the time these games have a way of changing the in-game time so you can choose whether to play at night or day time.

In an mmorpg, you can't do this, and it would suck if the only times you could play were when it was night time in game and you had to deal with the PKers or miss out on most of the game.

volunteer_moderator.gif
  • CawwCaww Member
    can we merge this with the following 107 comment thread and skip the part where we all repeat ourselves?

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/55562/corruption-pvp#latest
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Caww wrote: »
    can we merge this with the following 107 comment thread and skip the part where we all repeat ourselves?
    You don't understand! This thread is not for arguments B)
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    On another post i read this week someone mentioned an idea of having corruption not come into play if you are attacked at night time, i think this is super cool and emersive

This is an interesting idea, although I don't think it would work in an mmorpg. It's common in single-player games to have more dangerous creatures come out at night, but most of the time these games have a way of changing the in-game time so you can choose whether to play at night or day time.

In an mmorpg, you can't do this, and it would suck if the only times you could play were when it was night time in game and you had to deal with the PKers or miss out on most of the game.

Actually, in L2 with the better XP mobs coming out at night only in certain areas, it created more intese pvp and pk over the xp hot spots.. so whilst not quite the same, similar.. and worked very well..

Strongest players in terms of pvp or stamina for risk and alertness got to xp at those spots!
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2023
    Hard to discuss this topic for those that never played under similar rule sets.

In early L2, the fact that a red had a chance to drop a considerable amount of gear if killed made the decision to pk only for those with high risk tolerane.. so the number of pk`ers were few and infrequent..

The softening of the rule set came later..

Ashes rule set has set the bar quite low and is set for the risk adverse, sadly the stories, the wars and policing and chance to pull community and alliances together over the drama that pk`ing creates will be a lesser social draw than it created in L2
  • hleVhleV Member
    edited May 2023
    I think the risk of dropping a gear piece is a good deterrent to griefers/mass-murderers, but I'm strictly against activating this RNG for low levels of corruption, when it's not obvious that the person is a griefer/mass-murderer.

There are different kinds of people. To some, this is a non-issue because they will weight the risk and never PK someone who doesn't fight back. Meanwhile another person may go for that one PK. Should that one person now risk losing a precious item which they worked hard and long for? No, I think it'd be a big mistake to make it so, as the punishment becomes way too harsh then.

It's important to remember that even without gear drop RNG, dying as corrupted has increased mat drop and exp dept, which to me seems already good enough to deter most people from PKing. I don't think the system is meant to deter it so much that there's no PKing whatsoever, so if you PK once and die, you received your punishment, but if it RNG procs a good gear piece drop, thatt can cause a major dissatisfaction with the game and ragequits, which could've been avoided by moving this mechanic to higher levels of corruption.
  • BeOwningUBeOwningU Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think op might be confusing pvp like caravans, sieges, and ocean combat with mercilessly killing low gatherers over and over.

Just do the meaningful pvp events and you won't drop gear. Kill low level players, gatherers, or simply troll people who are already in mob fights and you get the mechanics you deserve.
    kzlop9coy4kh.png
    hleV wrote: »
    I don't think the system is meant to deter it so much that there's no PKing whatsoever, so if you PK once and die, you received your punishment, but if it RNG procs a good gear piece drop, thatt can cause a major dissatisfaction with the game and ragequits, which could've been avoided by moving this mechanic to higher levels of corruption.

Every attack that causes corruption has a chance of causing the person being attacked to ragequit.

That is why this balance is in place. If you chose to perform an action that may cause someone else to ragequit, the game may force an action on you that may cause you to ragequit.

You don't need to be a griefer or mass murderer for attacking someone to cause them to want to leave a game.
  • CawwCaww Member
    Caww wrote: »
    You don't understand! This thread is not for arguments B)

Dang!!! You're right - English is not my first language...
    The one thing we can’t fix is how soft some gamers are.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    hleV wrote: »
    Should that one person now risk losing a precious item which they worked hard and long for? No, I think it'd be a big mistake to make it so, as the punishment becomes way too harsh then.

It's important to remember that even without gear drop RNG, dying as corrupted has increased mat drop and exp dept, which to me seems already good enough to deter most people from PKing. I don't think the system is meant to deter it so much that there's no PKing whatsoever, so if you PK once and die, you received your punishment, but if it RNG procs a good gear piece drop, thatt can cause a major dissatisfaction with the game and ragequits, which could've been avoided by moving this mechanic to higher levels of corruption.
    And what if instead of this whole pointless argument we just keep telling Intrepid that we want the first few PKs to be very quickly clearable? Huh? Wouldn't that be swell? Why must you even die after your first PKs? And if you don't die - the item drop is not even an issue.

There! Issue solved by not existing.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    ^translation from above "Get gud"
  • KilionKilion Member
    edited May 2023
    so instead of having a 100 comment long argument lets brain storm some ideas to make it better for both parties,

No, we can't just act like this is where the conversation needs to happen. Lore wise and from a lead designer perspective, the corruption system will stay in the game, as Steven said it "it [an element of the core design] is not up for debate". From a community "management" perspective, the risk to drop gear is an intentionally implemented risk to discourage anti-social behavior or as Intrepid also calls it "griefing".

In the October 2022 live stream Steven said they aim at a balance of risk for being attacked and deterring griefing and it is intended in the game design to make that deterrence very real. The behavior that gains someone corruption is seen by Intrepid as corrosive for the targets game experience (e.g. "farming" low level players for their gatherables to progress ones artisan skills) to a presumably critical point, actions that could result in that level of game disruption are what the system intends to make significantly more risky. And losing a piece of what gives a character 40-50% of its power is definitely a way to achieve that. Also it is worth mentioning that there is only a chance to drop gear, not a guarantee. And lastly mentioned in the stream I would like to point out that the system is not finished yet, it will be subject to change after being tested live.

Edit: From an Interview that Steven gave, the chances for completed gear to be dropped on death as a corrupted player are not equal. A weapon will have a lower chance to be dropped after one PK and in general the chance to drop gear will most likely be extremely low overall to begin with.

The reason why "just" four times the gatherable drop amount is not enough is because it wasn't that players loot to begin with. No griefer will take a sack full of his own mats out on a field trip to rob someone.

I don't think 15 min and no increase in drop amounts and range of potential drops is appropriate.

But before this goes on and on in circles: Why do you want to be able to PK low level characters or other unwilling players outside of the PvP events so badly, that you want the punishments for it to be removed? Why are caravans not good enough? Or encountering an enemy guild? Defending your guild castle or attacking a Castle Node?
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<