Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

potential Bard Augments

idk about anyone else but for me, i have always perfered illusion type magic like from skyrim and esepecailly with the elden ring and the recently released elden ring convergence mod, sleep magic also is something they have added and personally i would love the idea of playing a mage/bard who has a mutltitude of magic focused around controling the battlefield to protect themseleves and their teammates from from enemies even knowing them and the healers are even there for example while also throwing out buffs and debuffs that help destroy enemies. basically all this is to say a sleep augment type and perhaps illusion augment type both would be so amazing to see :D

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah. I hope I get all that from Enchanter and more :)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Feel like I've been waiting for info on the Bard skills for years! Oh, wait..... :p:D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Feel like I've been waiting for info on the Bard skills for years! Oh, wait..... :p:D

i mean most mmorpgs from bigger companies than intrepid with a few games under their belt already still usually take 7 to 10 years so we're really only starting to get close to that end point. the only difference is most other companies have both a board of execs who want their money back at some point and no passion of the game and most other companies only let us get a look AT the like 7 to 10 year mark literally just before release.
  • Yep, we'll get there :)
  • SpifSpif Member
    Illusion could be a great theme for Bard, to go along with the usual "song and dance". Sleep/mez has been a bard staple for years. Charm monster wouldn't be a bad idea either.

If Bard/Summoner could be spec'd to something like a GW2 Mesmer (with less damage?) that would work out great. Illusion could be modified into invisibility for Bard/Rogue. Lots of possibilities.
  • Spif wrote: »
    If Bard/Summoner could be spec'd to something like a GW2 Mesmer (with less damage?) that would work out great. Illusion could be modified into invisibility for Bard/Rogue. Lots of possibilities.

I always felt Bard would be like GW1's Paragon, with its Shouts and Buffs.
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Spif wrote: »

I always felt Bard would be like GW1's Paragon, with its Shouts and Buffs.

imma look at guild wars 1 bard in a sec just to better understand your take on what ya mean but i also will point out that steven has stated that the bard wont just use dance, song, and instruments like most bards in media but also stuff like story telling.

one way that story telling idea could look that i love the possibility of is the wordsoul magic of the devil from black clover and the thought of a mage who manipulates reality through words rather than creates fireballs and lightning. like one spell could be crushing prison that has your enemies fall to the ground if they arent strong enough and get slowed if they are strong enough to withstand it and not get crushed with those crushed would take more or less dmg based on how low their str and hp stats are and it could be used over a area. the fun idea of spells like that is seeing someone who could also throw a horde into a frenzy killing eachother and make players attacks hit their allies if they arent careful as well as have them do even more dmg while being far more likely to miss their target.

i really just wanna be a mage who fucks with reality moreso than actually uses magic and still LOVE to no end the tonal magic of The Elder Scrolls and even the last playthrough i did was a alteration/ illusion mage who almost exclusively used those 2 schools of magic, only touching destructions where the tonal magic mod i was using actually had it and playing as a dwemer tonal architect who after realising he had accidentally transplanted himself into the future with no hope of returing home and only the risk of throwing himself even further into the future, he accepted his new reality and came to learn he was the dragonborn taking it as a sign that his displacement in time was no accident on his part but the will of the gods trying to force his hand but now as he lacked the power to overcome the gods, all he could do was accept he was the only one with the power to save this kalppa so he could hopefully find a way to gain enough power to return home or be allowed by the gods at least to go home if he cant overcome their might!
  • hell for another fun idea because im loving the idea now of a true area controller who really doesnt have the dps to even come close to really hurting or killing powerful enemies by themselves but can support them while crushing hordes of weak enemies easy, i would love if there was a spell added alongside that frenzy spell that could make all frenzied npcs target a specific enemy allowing a smart bard subclass to actually take a bosses adds and use them against the boss though of course it would be so costly requireing the casting of frenzy as well to make sure you need a skilled group capable of good teamwork to keep your sustain up to all this as well as another spell that could all you to force all enemies to target once specfic enemy with it being a toggle with a HIGH cost so in pve you can make sure a bosses attack that should hit the whole arena either cant be used and they instead use a really high dmg single target attack on your marked target or they just cant hurt anyone besides your specific target which could allow for group comps that have a focus on several bards who switch off controlling the aggro of the area for the tanks letting a group compesate for a possible lack of good tanks with a exccess of skilled healers and bard subclasses even if the magic drain should mean that this IS a lot risker and it would be better to have a normal comp with only a few of these bard subclasses there to control add aggro and help the tanks protect the flimsy healers and dps.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perhaps one variety of a Bard's buffs that could be given prior to the group's hunt could be in a player run Tavern. The Tavern's level and the quality of the food and drink would also impact the buffs.

Perhaps drinking wine improves mages, beer increases physical strength. Eating stews with different ingredients improves other stats, and all of these things are influenced by the level of the Tavern, the brewing and distilling skills of the tavern's owner and items present in the tavern. The level and skills of the bard who is telling stories during the meal in the tavern might influence the length of time that the buffs persist...a young bard could add 5 minutes while a legendary Bard might add up to an hour of duration of the buffs from the Tavern's food and drink.

Of course, besides duration, the Bard might influence other things based upon the various stories, songs, chants, limericks and so forth that the Bard has learned and recites. Learning these might require a quest for each one. Perhaps race, religion, home node type, guild's skills, gear augments and so forth could lead us into a fascinatingly complex ways to enhance a Bard's usefulness.

Like with breeding, I hope the system is one we have to discover ourselves.
  • tautau wrote: »
    Perhaps one variety of a Bard's buffs that could be given prior to the group's hunt could be in a player run Tavern. The Tavern's level and the quality of the food and drink would also impact the buffs.

Perhaps drinking wine improves mages, beer increases physical strength. Eating stews with different ingredients improves other stats, and all of these things are influenced by the level of the Tavern, the brewing and distilling skills of the tavern's owner and items present in the tavern. The level and skills of the bard who is telling stories during the meal in the tavern might influence the length of time that the buffs persist...a young bard could add 5 minutes while a legendary Bard might add up to an hour of duration of the buffs from the Tavern's food and drink.

Of course, besides duration, the Bard might influence other things based upon the various stories, songs, chants, limericks and so forth that the Bard has learned and recites. Learning these might require a quest for each one. Perhaps race, religion, home node type, guild's skills, gear augments and so forth could lead us into a fascinatingly complex ways to enhance a Bard's usefulness.

Like with breeding, I hope the system is one we have to discover ourselves.

ohhh hell yea! i am loving the oldschool dnd vibes of that idea man!:D