Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Freehold size + freehold use

willko22willko22 Member
edited May 2023 in General Discussion
Hello there. I have a few questions and an idea which I want to discuss.

Questions:
  1. Will there be different sizes of freehold?
  2. If no why?
  3. what would it take to create different sizes?

Idea
Why doesn't freehold cost less but you can build only a house by default?
if you want to build something more then you would need to buy a "permit" to run a tavern, farm, or blacksmith workshop.

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The wiki has answers to most of your questions that Intrepid has decided to grace people with over the years.
    Development is fluid, and many things about freeholds have not been confirmed in a long time. But it you look at a consistent line of thought in comments from Steven over the years, you are going to get a fixed area because that works for the systems they have in mind for progression on the freehold of various systems. Making them bigger or smaller would mess with that.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Freeholds
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    1. Apparently, all freeholds are around 1/2 acre in size.
    2. game/system design
    3. They have stated that two players can pseudo-join their freeholds through marriage.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Marriage

To speculate on #2 a bit more, I think freeholds will likely be a stable source of income for most players. Allowing the size to be expanded beyond that of others would likely create imbalances and would lessen the reason to experience other gold-making areas of the game. Could begin to possibly take away from interdependencies with other players. I think designing around an expanding plot would also create difficulties within the environment.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It looks like we'll be getting a Freehold live stream here in June, so that's exciting :smile:
  • Options
    willko22 wrote: »

Idea
    if you want to build something more then you would need to buy a "permit" to run a tavern, farm, or blacksmith workshop.

When you first place a freehold, you are allotted your ~1/2 acre of land. You still need to purchase/build the blueprints for buildings. So in practice it is exactly what you are describing. You will start with a basic freehold with your house on it, and you will spend more money / resources / time expanding your freehold.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Freeholds

Freeholds are approximately half an acre in size.[6]
    The footprint of a freehold does not change with node progression.[7]
    Expansions and upgrades become available as node progression allows.[6]
    Blueprints are required for the construction of the freehold buildings that are used to process resources into processed goods.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers
  • Options
    willko22 wrote: »
    Hello there. I have a few questions and an idea which I want to discuss.

Questions:
    2. If no why?
    3. what would it take to create different sizes?

Idea

if you just want to buy a house, just buy a house? there are 2 more housing systems