Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Non-combat status buffs

I'm planning on not participating too much in the combat-oriented circles of the game, and would rather spend my time crafting, and I got to thinking. It'd be nice if there were stats that affect non-combat performance such as the quality of items crafted or the frequency of item drops, and items or equipment that affect these would-be stats.

Is it a good idea? What do you guys think?

Comments

• [quote quote=2023]I’m planning on not participating too much in the combat-oriented circles of the game, and would rather spend my time crafting, and I got to thinking. It’d be nice if there were stats that affect non-combat performance such as the quality of items crafted or the frequency of item drops, and items or equipment that affect these would-be stats.

[/quote]
    I always end up thinking in realism terms, so if it doesnt make sense I would normally be against it. So this seems a bit wierd, but if they just call it "performance enchancing drugs" I'm cool with it.
    You drink a cup of coffee and your mind sharpens for an hour (maybe a slight debuff after, just so you dont binge coffee). Something like that could be fun, but it only makes sense if your crafting skill affects the stat on the item, if its more static like WoW then it wouldnt make sense.

I mentioned this in another thread, but if its a system kinda like "a+b*crafting skill", then a crafting bonus would make sense :) Or if you could boost the creation of slow items ofc.
  • [quote quote=2023]I’m planning on not participating too much in the combat-oriented circles of the game, and would rather spend my time crafting, and I got to thinking. It’d be nice if there were stats that affect non-combat performance such as the quality of items crafted or the frequency of item drops, and items or equipment that affect these would-be stats.

[/quote]

Good idea, maybe a forging hammer that you equip as a main weapon that gives a %boost to blacksmithing. i like that i like that alot.
  • [quote quote=2028]<blockquote><div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/non-combat-status-buffs/#post-2023" rel="nofollow">FullDiver wrote:</a></div>
    I’m planning on not participating too much in the combat-oriented circles of the game, and would rather spend my time crafting, and I got to thinking. It’d be nice if there were stats that affect non-combat performance such as the quality of items crafted or the frequency of item drops, and items or equipment that affect these would-be stats.

</blockquote>
    Good idea, maybe a forging hammer that you equip as a main weapon that gives a %boost to blacksmithing. i like that i like that alot.

[/quote]
    i approve that idea :) Makes the combat players also rely on non-combat players more, because combat players won't be able to craft things just as good as those non-combat players.
  • Now that some time has passed this idea is even better in my head :) it would add to the immersion of the game by 100000% if you wanted a weapon so you had to go to a crafting town and talk to a blacksmith all dressed up with their hammers and stuff
  • [quote quote=2028]Good idea, maybe a forging hammer that you equip as a main weapon that gives a %boost to blacksmithing. i like that i like that alot.[/quote]

In addition to stat-boosting items such as a quality hammer, or a master-crafted forge, the thing I miss most from what I considered truly quality crafting systems of the past is the need for particular player reactions during the crafting process. The master craftsman learning abilities which allow them to identify defects in the metal of a blade, as an example, and counteract those flaws through the act of re-heating the metal, working it, quenching it, whichever particular action was necessary to address the developing problem, with the ultimate quality of the items depending on the crafter's successful responses, significantly increases the immersiveness of the crafting experience.
  • [quote quote=4011]identify defects in the metal of a blade, as an example, and counteract those flaws through the act of re-heating the metal, working it, quenching it, whichever particular action was necessary to address the developing problem, with the ultimate quality of the items depending on the crafter’s successful responses, significantly increases the immersiveness of the crafting experience.
    [/quote]
    So basicly minigames for crafting? I wouldn't say im totally against it, it just depends on the crafting system :) If its Skyrim style do 10000000x Iron daggers to become a mastercrafter (highly doubt it) then it would just be tedious. If its more like "if the items wellmade you get more exp", that kinda thing then I guess its okay.

I think this was touched on in an really old thread, people generally seemed against it back then. But that might have changed. I'm kinda neutral theres so much information missing about the crafting to get a real opinion on this.
  • As we have no information to crafting exept for your typical, it will be extensive, I will hold back with my expectations. What was explained here sounds amazing and I would like to have it. Let's hope and buy some sandals to please our lord and saviour Steven.
  • Final Fantasy XIV had a great crafting system where there was a minigame of sorts where you started out with some much CP (crafting points) that could be boosted via crafting level and gear. Depending on gear/crafting level/minigame success you could created HQ (high quality) items that had better stats but also gave more exp while leveling. See the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S3AmK47QaE