Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Sexualization of women from a woman's perspective

Comments

• Honestly coming from a game that has literal bikinis and slave girl outfits (Star Wars) but lets it be optional makes me think thats the route this game should go. Let you choose how you want to look while wearing the gear you need for stats, if you want to be a half naked female with your boobs being held behind a string, your choice. If you want to be a fully armored female with runes and shit on your armor, your choice. 

Personally as a guy don't see the appeal of running around as a half naked woman, I would much rather role a dude in badass gear and look like I could kill you with a glare but to each their own.
  • Shunex said:
    imo, there needs to be a choice in-games, just like IRL people wear all sorts of clothing, that needs to be mirrored in-games, so people have the option of choosing their look, to dress functional or to dress less functional. it doesn't need to be one or the other dress how you want to dress and let other people do the same
    I completely agree.
    Afterall, I will be playing a fictional character, and it is a role-playing game.

If I wanted to be just as fat in-game as in real-life, then you might as well have a fantasy version of a balding fat guy who hangs around naked or in his underwear anytime he's able.  If it were within my budget, I would also wear a full-set of armor all the time instead of clothes, but that's just not feasable - even if it isn't culturally or socially acceptable.  I actually firmly believe nearly all men would wear some form of armor all day if we could.  Functional AND fashionable! ...Just not functional for the 21st century every-day-outfit, perhaps.

I also think in a high fantasy game I should be able to make my character fully nude - whether it's a short and fat dwarf or a tall and skinny blonde human girl that somehow looks ideal to me.  I would find it enjoyable to look at my female character, and enjoy even more how people react to a short and fat naked dwarf running around... maybe that should be 'doable' in-game, but there exists some sort of justice system where nudity in public is considered a punishable crime?  Afterall, if we're not wearing clothes, let-alone armor, I imagine it will be relatively easy for somebody to kill you.

But I also understand that for a more profitable marketplace, it's probably not the best idea to allow nudity or force it to be a more mature player audience by its rating or content.  Though I don't see how underwear or bikinis (male or female) would be a problem for a teen rating.
  • Shunex said:
    imo, there needs to be a choice in-games, just like IRL people wear all sorts of clothing, that needs to be mirrored in-games, so people have the option of choosing their look, to dress functional or to dress less functional. it doesn't need to be one or the other dress how you want to dress and let other people do the same
    I completely agree.
    Afterall, I will be playing a fictional character, and it is a role-playing game.

If I wanted to be just as fat in-game as in real-life, then you might as well have a fantasy version of a balding fat guy who hangs around naked or in his underwear anytime he's able.  If it were within my budget, I would also wear a full-set of armor all the time instead of clothes, but that's just not feasable - even if it isn't culturally or socially acceptable.  I actually firmly believe nearly all men would wear some form of armor all day if we could.  Functional AND fashionable! ...Just not functional for the 21st century every-day-outfit, perhaps.

I also think in a high fantasy game I should be able to make my character fully nude - whether it's a short and fat dwarf or a tall and skinny blonde human girl that somehow looks ideal to me.  I would find it enjoyable to look at my female character, and enjoy even more how people react to a short and fat naked dwarf running around... maybe that should be 'doable' in-game, but there exists some sort of justice system where nudity in public is considered a punishable crime?  Afterall, if we're not wearing clothes, let-alone armor, I imagine it will be relatively easy for somebody to kill you.

But I also understand that for a more profitable marketplace, it's probably not the best idea to allow nudity or force it to be a more mature player audience by its rating or content.  Though I don't see how underwear or bikinis (male or female) would be a problem for a teen rating.
  • @Kavaju
    Decided not to directly quote as I'm still wary of the post eating monster...
    I have to say I completely agree with you, especially on the heels part. God I love wearing heels in RL. Now if I could swing a sword in them in RL, I totally would! But seeming as that is out of the question, I wanna be able to do it here, in a HIGH FANTASY game (yes, the capital letters intended). And I completely understand the other point of view. A lot of people would not like to run around in high heels while fighting, so this should also be possible to avoid for those with this opinion.

Now I do agree that bunny costumes can look strange and "break immersion" in a medieval-ish styled game (which this looks to be, I think? Correct me if I'm wrong). This is my personal opinion. In that case, give more options of styles that do suit the world, but without limiting it to only a certain group of people's liking. I see people here only wanting "complete body covering armour with flat shoes". And this can be great for some people. Other people, like me, very much enjoy looking very feminine in dresses, heels and tight-fitting outfits. A character does not need to look overly sexualized while wearing such clothes, keyword like Kavaju mentioned is "class". I honestly do not understand why more options would be a bad thing.

To summarize my thoughts; like I stated in my previous comment on this topic, I think variety and choice is key. Different individuals like different clothing styles in RL, and this will be reflected in the game too. So, why not cater to different styles instead of limiting it to a certain one and having a lot of people getting disappointed over such a choice?

Also, love the first picture from Aion, so beautiful! <3
  • @Kavaju

I have to say I completely agree with you, especially on the heels part. God I love wearing heels in RL. Now if I could swing a sword in them in RL, I totally would! But seeming as that is out of the question, I wanna be able to do it here, in a HIGH FANTASY game (yes, the capital letters intended). And I completely understand the other point of view. A lot of people would not like to run around in high heels while fighting, so this should also be possible to avoid for those with this opinion.

Now I do agree that bunny costumes can look strange and "break immersion" in a medieval-ish styled game (which this looks to be, I think? Correct me if I'm wrong). This is my personal opinion. In that case, give more options of styles that do suit the world, but without limiting it to only a certain group of people's liking. I see people here only wanting "complete body covering armour with flat shoes". And this can be great for some people. Other people, like me, very much enjoy looking very feminine in dresses, heels and tight-fitting outfits. A character does not need to look overly sexualized while wearing such clothes, keyword like Kavaju mentioned is "class". I honestly do not understand why more options would be a bad thing.

To summarize my thoughts; like I stated in my previous comment on this topic, I think variety and choice is key. Different individuals like different clothing styles in RL, and this will be reflected in the game too. So, why not cater to different styles instead of limiting it to a certain one and having a lot of people getting disappointed over such a choice?

• @Kavaju

• @Kavaju

• @Kavaju

• @Kavaju

• @Kavaju

• @Kavaju

• As a female gamer I can tell you I rather have more realistic armor then having fleshy vital bits exposed because when my other gamer friends come over if they see me battling large monsters in spandex and silk they will make fun of my avatar. 

I know they will do this based on 30 something years of gaming with them.  

Also my ten year old martial arts prone daughter will say helpful things like "How can see see around her chest?  Wouldn't you feel better about fighting if you have armor on?" 

I personally never really look at my avatar but my friends.. oh they care, they care. (to tease) 
    :)
  • I always believe the "boring and bland" real world belongs to the real world.
    Sure it's nice to have realistic armor in game, but why not take the opportunity of a high fantasy setting to also expand on the armor design - use the opportunity to design all kinds of cool armor that would be nice to wear, no matter if it would be "realistically viable" or not.

Use the setting and create all kinds of amazing armor, both realistic, excessive, sexy, and any other kind that is possible. Never mind any "correctness" in any way, it is a game after all.
  • For purposes of immersion, I really do care. I care a lot. So, I've had some thoughts, along the lines of what @Karthos posted above :wink:

• Maid uniform should more properly be some kind of servant-style wear
    • Give us a tavern-worker outfit for males/females, but make it non-combat gear - and have fun with it!
    • Underwear? Sure! Long undergarments, pantaloons, hoop skirts, so on and so forth -- what level do you wish to undress to?
    Essentially, let's keep it immersive, lol. How many things along these lines can you think of?

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Isende said:
    For purposes of immersion, I really do care. I care a lot. So, I've had some thoughts, along the lines of what @Karthos posted above :wink:

• Maid uniform should more properly be some kind of servant-style wear
    • Give us a tavern-worker outfit for males/females, but make it non-combat gear - and have fun with it!
    • Underwear? Sure! Long undergarments, pantaloons, hoop skirts, so on and so forth -- what level do you wish to undress to?
    Essentially, let's keep it immersive, lol. How many things along these lines can you think of?

Sadly, the authentic looking gear will be meaningless, with respect to immersion, if they allow gaudy or garish dyes.  My eyes have been stabbed by glow-in-the-dark characters way too many times.  :-P

• Shunex said:
    I completely agree.

I also think in a high fantasy game I should be able to make my character fully nude - whether it's a short and fat dwarf or a tall and skinny blonde human girl that somehow looks ideal to me.  I would find it enjoyable to look at my female character, and enjoy even more how people react to a short and fat naked dwarf running around... maybe that should be doable in-game, but also some sort of justice system where nudity in public is considered a punishable crime?  Afterall, if we're not wearing clothes, let-alone armor, I imagine it will be relatively easy for somebody to kill you, too.  Maybe even NPCs wouldn't sell or do business deals with you for indecency?  As far as D&D inspirations, this could also potentially lead to somebody who makes a Vow of Poverty or some such, too.  And maybe even a nudist culture.

• Meh... I can't deny that I don't like to see chainmail bikinis running around. It isn't worth it to me to argue for it though. Most especially not if it makes a fairly large percent of the player base uncomfortable for whatever reason(realism, morality, or personal reasons).

I do like options and variety so that one of every twelve people are not dressed the same.

• The battle bikini conversation, classic!

Hopefully Ashes of Creation will go with something in between the tiniest amount of armour with lots showing and closer to something which looks like it could protect you in a fight while still looking sexy as your sword smashes in to your enemies skull.

Obviously ending with a quick flick of the hair and turning to pose for the camera  :D
  • I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention. What's happening now? 

Are guys finally getting the battle bikini as well? It's about damn time, to be honest. 
  • Cyreph said:
    I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention. What's happening now? 

Are guys finally getting the battle bikini as well? It's about damn time, to be honest. 
    You didn't hear? Borat style man-kini with spikes
  • Cyreph said:

yes, yes they do

edited June 2017
    There are times I like the sexy stuff and times I want to look like I'm a serious contender with bad-ass gear.  I think that most women want to have a choice and especially be able to preview what a piece of armor will look like on them before they equip or purchase it.  I'm sure the same goes for men.

• Karthos said:
    Cyreph said:

You didn't hear? Borat style man-kini with spikes
    The spikes aesthetics doesn't really do it for me. Could we have it with skulls please? And it t goes without saying, the mankini should be in a manly dark crimson hue.
    edited June 2017
    I think the player has a right to choose what they'd like to wear.. But one outfit I don't think I've ever seen available to my characters to wear is the plain simple dress / gown that you see in several Time period shows (The Tudors/ Reign / White Queen / White Princess).  I'd love to be able to wear this one as an armor skin / outfit.  

• Enrif said:
    yes, yes they do

If I had to fight that guy I will lose to him, because I would be laughing so hard i would not be able to concentrate. Plus look at the legs... gee they really need some sun.

• Mykkala said:
    I think the player has a right to choose what they'd like to wear.. But one outfit I don't think I've ever seen available to my characters to wear is the plain simple dress / gown that you see in several Time period shows (The Tudors/ Reign / White Queen / White Princess).  I'd love to be able to wear this one as an armor skin / outfit.  

This is nice and all but if they dont get the cloth right and fix all the clipping issues its going to look like a mess.
  • I'd like it to be at least a little bit realistic... Although that's a weird thing to say for a high-fantasy MMORPG. Well I guess it's up to the ladies to make their choice.
    Image result for female armor in mmorpg meme
    Image result for female armor in mmorpg meme

• This is nice and all but if they dont get the cloth right and fix all the clipping issues its going to look like a mess.
    Darn Clipping .  I just wanna dress nice It doesn't have to move or anything just let me have a long dress <.<
    edited June 2017
    Mykkala said:

This is nice and all but if they dont get the cloth right and fix all the clipping issues its going to look like a mess.
    Darn Clipping .  I just wanna dress nice It doesn't have to move or anything just let me have a long dress <.<
    Check out this link. Is this what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrtwESnTOwY

• GaFl4Ever said:
    I'd like it to be at least a little bit realistic... Although that's a weird thing to say for a high-fantasy MMORPG. Well I guess it's up to the ladies to make their choice.

The second picture screams ... Not the face, Not the face...