Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Sexualization of women from a woman's perspective

Comments

• Can we not have a repeat of Overwatch where people complained about a female characters emotes being too 'sexual'. It's a fantasy MMO, just like BDO.

Like the Spartans who wore nothing but a leather 'thong'. It's for maximum movement. Anyway, I'd like to see the armor you're so disturbed by.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    @Malric:  the issue here is not that people don't want sexy, we just want sexy for EVERYONE man, woman, trans, other.

I never played overwatch, but can totally understand how, if the sexy emotes were overdone JUST for women how objecting and offensive it could come across.

We don't want to squash the sexy, we want sexy! But we want it for all, and other choices too...
  • @Megs There isn't an issue at all, lets not ruin another game with political trash.
    edited June 2017
    All this thread is about, is a few female gamers expressing concerns about how some previous games have dealt with the issues badly.

We haven't seen anything of this game yet but are more than entitled to share some views at this stage of the development.

As to 'political trash' oh I could so get into that offensive remark, but I'm darn sure that no-one wants that. *offers chill pills*

• Malric said:
    Can we not have a repeat of Overwatch where people complained about a female characters emotes being too 'sexual'. It's a fantasy MMO, just like BDO.

Like the Spartans who wore nothing but a leather 'thong'. It's for maximum movement. Anyway, I'd like to see the armor you're so disturbed by.
    Look I don't want to hate on you but I'm afraid you dont know how armor works... 
    This is how Spartan hoplites usually dressed themselves for battle:
    Image result for Real spartans

Wearing no armor doesn't make sence, and only a leather thong even less. It is not because you wear armor that your movement is severely hampered, even in full late medieval plate you could still run, jump and and roll, as demonstrated here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q
    Keep in mind that these reenactors are not even professional soldiers, a true knight or Spartan would be a lot stronger and much accustomed to his armor. 

Then again, this is a high fantasy game where whe can expect magical protection as well, and it should be up to the players to decide how they want to dress themselves.
  • There's no doubt valid reasons for both sides of the argument here but surely the most important thing for Intrepid to get right is to make sure players have a choice. That's all the players can ask of them as far as I'm concerned.
    edited June 2017
    The important thing is to remember, first and foremost, it is just a game. A fanatasy game where you're shooting orbs of light from your fingertips, wailing two-handed axes that no human could actually wield like a katana blade, and conjuring magic throughout the world. There is no 'realism' as far as that's concerned.

I always have to laugh at those that seem to want to be offended for the sake of being offended. Ooooo so you see some underboob or the outline of a butt. My god, the sky is falling. The only thing I'd ask is for a little equality. I, as a female gamer, have no problem with all the 'provocative' outfits you want to throw in the game. I'll be one of your top customers, no doubt, but I want to see male offerings as well. Tit for tat, so to speak.
  • Kratz said:
    There's no doubt valid reasons for both sides of the argument here but surely the most important thing for Intrepid to get right is to make sure players have a choice. That's all the players can ask of them as far as I'm concerned.
    They don't want to have to deal with it at all, they don't want it to be an option for anyone because of their own body image issues. It's quite disappointing.
    edited June 2017
    @malric Nope not at all.... Read the thread.
    All we've been saying I'd that we want sexy outfits, but we also want boring outfits, and we want the same for both sexes.
    What about that is so offensive?
  • @ragingphoinix agreed, that seems to be all that we want here :)
  • Megs said:
    @ragingphoinix agreed, that seems to be all that we want here :)
    Is it too much to ask for a little underbulge or a nice firm buttock being exposed? We females like to oogle just as much as the guys do. Missing a huge market here.
  • See even the ended can look epic ^^
  • It all goes to show/prove that males dictate and dominate the world of gaming and ultimately where  most of their minds are.  
    ;)
  • It all goes to show/prove that males dictate and dominate the world of gaming and ultimately where  most of their minds are.  
    ;)
    In a puddle on the obsidian floor?
    ;)
    As if women can't have their minds on that direction, plus you are forgetting omosexual and bisexual people  :#
  • UMJI NO PROBLEM WITH THAT. 

SEX SYMBOL IS DREAM.
  • I have no words
  • nagash said:
    I have no words
    lol must be a first :D
  • shockingly I think your right 
  • There shall be no unmoral nakedness! God thy mighty shall punish those light-hearted people! 

• I personally wouldn't wear bikini armor in games. However I do think the player has a right to choose what they'd like to wear. Just how some prefer to make great looking characters (myself included) while others very unattractive just for LOLs  :D

One of the less dressed outfits I got for my character was in BDO (image below), which was just pushing the limits of my personal preference.

But I like a lot the outfits/skins from GW2...Nice looking and not showing tooo much skin

edited July 2017
    Enrif said:
    Just saying, Sexy, or attractiveness is best shown if it's not cheap (blatant nudity) 
    Like, a Woman in a functioning Armor can still be sexy/attractive

id take a armor clad maiden home before any bikini wearing hussie. less can be better.and nowa days its getting to be.

if people want to wear bikinis and dress up then they should be items that cant transmog and take up a item slot(chest/legs exc) because if we arent breaking lore. then you cant take that bikini into battle. amiwrong?

• Honey, you might not have any choice but to take the "bikini wearing" hussies home.
    That's what mind magic is all about.
    PvP, baby, PvP.
    :p
  • I don't care one way or another but I want to point out all the examples are stereotypical asian fan service. I think we can rest easy that this isn't an Asian mmo. 
  • Volomon said:
    I don't care one way or another but I want to point out all the examples are stereotypical asian fan service. I think we can rest easy that this isn't an Asian mmo. 
    nuf said
  • In my view sexualisation of women and men is a must. Do you really want to play as a woman or a man, with big fat body and bingo wings flapping in the breeze, and a face that looks like it been hit with a frying pan. No! That's why sexualisation is needed in games.
  • Caelron said:
     I actually firmly believe nearly all men would wear some form of armor all day if we could.  Functional AND fashionable! ...Just not functional for the 21st century every-day-outfit, perhaps.
    And you would be right, sir, you would be right.
  • Dygz said:
    Whether it's loose or tight, if they can make it work for the males, they can make it work for the females.
    Female outfits don't need to be any more loose or tight than male outfits.

A magician's robe isn't that different from a dress.
    You mean like this?

Behold the glory of ZARDOS! (yes, that's Sean Connery)

edited August 2017
    Alazon said:
    Something I have noticed as of late is some women gamers complaining of sexualization of the female characters in a game in terms of aesthetics.

Also a little help for you: format your text cause no one really want to read a unformated wall fo text. Use at least sections.
  • YESSSS!!!!!!! I totally agree! As a man I really love dressing up my characters! Having loads of options for the character creation and 3 sets of the same armor stats with each set having a different look, could be awesome too in my opinion.