Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Crafting

I think it would be pretty cool if in this game we had customization options for the gear or weapons we craft , such as the design of the armor and weapons.

Example would be making it look more Samurai , Knight , Aztec , Viking , Moor , even being able to mix and match the style when creating the armor.

It would be like character creation but for weapons and armor I guess would be the best way to describe it.

It would make every armorer more unique with the styles of the weapons and armor they make.

This being said I would like to see these styles be locked behind dungeon raids or able to find them from certain village nodes with the perfect combination of races forming its creation. Explanation being that the blend of cultures create new armor or weapon types.

Raid type armor/weapon unlocks would incorporate the monster or boss in the creation of the armor or weapon such as a skeleton boss the armor would have a skull or be made of bone, a kraken style boss would have a tentacle going up the sword or armor or something making the only way to craft said gear would be to kill the boss to get the certain crafting item from that boss. I also feel that you should only be able to pick up said recipes we will call them if you are able to craft the item. So level 1 crafters cant pick up the recipe when the level 50 crafter could have gotten it.

As for over all crafting I would like there to be a primary crafting option making it so it would be harder to pick up other crafting options. Such as slower increase in the skill rank. This would make objects created by people be worth more I think .

But thats just me xD

Comments

• Options
    They had something similar to this in Elder Scrolls online, and I feel it could work out well. Maybe at the beginning have 4 different variations? Orc, Human, Elf, and Dwarf. Then maybe later go into sub-races or such. Though I agree the idea of overall having similar stat gear item with different visuals is always a plus.

A transmog like system would something fantastic to implement as well, but it will most likely be further down the road.

On a side note: Games like Bannerlord have a weapon crafting system currently in the works, but in an MMO some of the biggest problems come with the variation in size designs. Let's say you use Blade type 3, but blade type 3 is really wide which means Handle and guard type 1 clip through the blade making it look weird. It would require each weapon to have a creative object mesh, and then the weapon creator "piece" them together on top of the meshes. Not sure how this would impact performance, or if there is a better way to do this.

Here is a demonstration link from Bannerlord
    https://youtu.be/53unLj3qPL0?t=20s
  • Options
    Yeah Banner lord is a good example. I also think the game could implement a system similar to Archeage where you could see everyone with the base style of gear so its not as hard on your system if you choose to go that way.
  • Options
    That crafting idea is phenomenal. Perhaps single-use "recipes" that are generated by specific race/terrain type could be used by crafters at cetain levels.

This would create a ton of work for the artists, of course, but would create a unique armor or weapon market that could create desires for players to group up and "make" a node pop or level up in the hopes of getting recipes they need. Would be a great way to create a desire that would lead people to group up for the same grind! Those that want to grind elsewhere for gold could buy the armor/recipe, those that want to grind for the recipe themselves could do so.
  • Options
    Well in Bannerlord it works out because it's like the artists create a lot of different parts and a system that put them together effectively.

That allows for large customization on a massive scale. I doubt a single use recipe would work well, unless maybe you were given a single piece of a craftable item (E.G. Legendary handle)

That being said, I doubt that would work overall in an MMO. In the long run people would find "Min/Max" builds using items. For awhile it would be fun and diverse, but eventually I doubt it could effectively stay balanced in an MMO setting. Unless they used something different for the stats while the parts were just cosmetics parts of the weapon.

Example: Let's say you have 4 different parts of a weapon that define how a weapon will look (handle/blade/grip/pommel/ETC) which parts could also determine the type of weapon like axe, hammer, or sword. Then a fifth component in the crafting recipe would allow for the "item level/power" of the weapon which would determine overall stats. It would mean weapons to be more standardized in terms of damage and such, but would allow for vast customization.

Overall the real thing we need is an insight into the current planned crafting system so we can make better suggestions aimed at improving the soon to be system then presenting fantasy setups which are unlikely.
  • Options
    Yeah I've been thinking that for a lot of the suggestions lol. Once we know more we can really make an impact with our little get togethers xD
  • Options
    One thing I had and idea for was for the damage of a weapon, rather than be static, would have something similar to a scale to it. First, you could have the base damage, the base damage of a weapon is fixed and most actions won't increase it, however because of this it is capable of dealing with most defensive builds that weren't specifically made to lower base damage. Heavier materials would make weapons have higher base damage.

Next is max damage, max damage is very volatile in that certain attacks or attacking when an opponent is vulnerable can greatly increase it. However defending against it and most armors can greatly lower the max damage of a weapon. Sharper weapons and materials that can hold a good edge would tend to have higher max damage.

Finally, critical damage. Critical damage deals damage relative to an enemy's max HP, however blocking critical attacks completely nullifies it. Piercing weapons and harder materials would increase the critical damage.

Choosing the customization options could lower or increase certain attributes of the weapon relative to the initial qualities of the material, like what kind of attacks do what kind of damage (ex, thrusting a sword or slashing a scythe would both do critical damage) the speed of the attack, the the damages certain kinds of attacks do (like a curved handle increasing the damage of one-handed slashing attacks) the delay between attacks, the cost of resources for each attack (mana, stamina and the like) whether or not it inflicts wounds that cause DoT or debuff effects, how much it damages the enemy's gear, how quickly it can be drawn, how effective it is at blocking, how much it pushes around the enemy, and more!
  • Options
    it could work, what you could do is break the item down into parts

like smurf said only take it a step further and add a piece quality, lets say level one to 5 5 being legendary

then you could for instance have the
    Component type
    Component style
    Matierial (and a mat waulity could also be introduced)
    Quality
    (maybe a bonus from a perk tree or something for a smith to have thier bonuses)
    for each component. it looks like camelot unchained is putting a system like this into action

i believe it would be a good comunity interaction boost. with the combination of eso / camelot unchained crafting this adds lots of quality chec k levels and resources there fore it will keep crafters competing for the elitest of gear, it also adds style diversity meaning you might choose one master over another for the personalization of the thing.

on a side note i love the camelot unchained ability to carve runes into the weapon that glow under certain conditions and create effects specific to the characters carved into the weapon
  • Options
    In general something that I feel has been lacking in MMO's for ages, is more or less what is shown in the video posted by Smurfinhell, physical-properties. Not that I want the game to be completely realistic, but in a lot of games weapons/armor just doesnt make sense. You can make a sword 1 inch thick and you attack with it as fast as ever, regardless of the characters physical build too.

So creating a way to mix different styles, carve runes and utilizing different materials, would be great... IF it corresponds to a set of physical attributes (in my opinion ofc. :) ).

These attributes could be something like this:
    * Weapon-speed vs. Base-damage
    * Durability vs. Base-damage (/critical damage ?)
    * As shown in the video: Thrust- vs. Swing-speed

Using such a system could make for some interesting runes too, you could make one called "Featherweight" that lowers weight of weapon and thereby upping speed (maybe lowering damage?). For me its all about making every single playstyle work. If you wanna be a fastmoving-lowlife-sword guy be it, if you wanna be the slow-heavyplated-monster you can do that too :)

(Naturally this also works for armor, heavy-armor makes you move slow, light fast etc.)
  • Options
    Another possibility is to begin with the Weaponparts itself to support "realistic" properties
    Something like a Sword is made out of 4 Base Components
    Blade
    Guard
    Handle
    Pommel

But the first 4 are also craftables out of x parts
    x materials (Wood,Iron,Leather)
    Style (Like thick,thin,long,short etc.)

So to make an example I want to make a fast sword with high durability

so i build my Blade out of 4 pieces of Steel and 1 piece of Bronze
    because bronze has a low Durability but high speed stat
    and Steel has a high Durability and Medium speed stat
    The blade will have a higher speed stat then a blade completely out of steel
    As Bladestyle i use a long thin one because this gives bonus on speed as well

with guard, handle and pommel the same and the final Swordstyle would be a combination from the styles of the parts.
    The materials even could take a part in the outcomming style such as if i add bronze to my steelblade it is a bit more red then
    a blade complete out of steel
  • Options
    [quote quote=1197]Another possibility is to begin with the Weaponparts itself to support “realistic” properties
    Something like a Sword is made out of 4 Base Components
    Blade
    Guard
    Handle
    Pommel

But the first 4 are also craftables out of x parts
    x materials (Wood,Iron,Leather)
    Style (Like thick,thin,long,short etc.)

So to make an example I want to make a fast sword with high durability...

...with guard, handle and pommel the same and the final Swordstyle would be a combination from the styles of the parts.
    The materials even could take a part in the outcomming style such as if i add bronze to my steelblade it is a bit more red then
    a blade complete out of steel[/quote]

Well, I would suggest having a rapier guard with a yew handle and an iron pommel. The guard and handle would contribute to the speed of the weapon while making it last a while, and the pommel would greatly increase the speed of the weapon, but it would reduce the base damage, making it less affective against heavily armored foes and it wouldn't do a very good job of pushing back enemies. But you would be able to pull off attacks at lightning speed as well.