Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Crafters of AOC leave your mark!

Being forgotten or not leaving your mark on the world makes me a sad panda. I think that the crafters in MMOs are often forgotten or simply used as means to get a deal on some good gear.

I would LOVE to see a system that history has proven helps a person leave their mark on the world (pun intended). When a crafter creates something it should show it.

Great bastard sword - Master Weapon Smith Waffles

Seems like a trivial idea no? Why does this matter? Well if this economy truly is going to be organic I think there will be a need for gear artisans.

“Oh dang, nice bow! Where did you get it?”
“Thanks, it’s a Waffles creation.”

I hope this will do 2 things:

1. Allow dedicated crafters to drive more business.
  2. More appreciation for the time and effort it takes to craft.

I was playing around with the idea they can also have a flavor text on rarer goods. It makes their product a little more custom, but I know some would be vulgar.

Comments

• @GMSteven did mention that crafted items will be named with the crafters name. But it would be awesome to include the title of the crafter too. 
  • @lexmax

That's great to hear. Was this in an interview or a twitch stream?
  • It was mentioned in a stream ^^ They mentioned that there are lots of branches to crafting - and if you want to be super special you can focus on being the best at making one item- then if you brand it with your name people will be like "ahhh blah blah is really good at making these items and is best at it so I'll get mine from him too" so you can generate some nice business if you work hard xD
  • Diura said:
    It was mentioned in a stream ^^ They mentioned that there are lots of branches to crafting - and if you want to be super special you can focus on being the best at making one item- then if you brand it with your name people will be like "ahhh blah blah is really good at making these items and is best at it so I'll get mine from him too" so you can generate some nice business if you work hard xD
    ^^ What the frog said :grin:
  • Here ya go.

"Will crafters names appear in the items they craft? (Maybe limit it to high-tier items) yeah i know, will probably kill your item database

-          Yes. Crafter names will appear on items they craft. "Crafted by: Pyre"

• lexmax said:
    Diura said:
    It was mentioned in a stream ^^ They mentioned that there are lots of branches to crafting - and if you want to be super special you can focus on being the best at making one item- then if you brand it with your name people will be like "ahhh blah blah is really good at making these items and is best at it so I'll get mine from him too" so you can generate some nice business if you work hard xD
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rSPzULE-J6o
    This is me xD
  • Diura said:
    lexmax said:
    Diura said:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rSPzULE-J6o
    This is me xD
    This made me happy
  • MrWaffles said:

Being forgotten or not leaving your mark on the world makes me a sad panda. I think that the crafters in MMOs are often forgotten or simply used as means to get a deal on some good gear.

I would LOVE to see a system that history has proven helps a person leave their mark on the world (pun intended). When a crafter creates something it should show it.

Great bastard sword - Master Weapon Smith Waffles

Seems like a trivial idea no? Why does this matter? Well if this economy truly is going to be organic I think there will be a need for gear artisans.

“Oh dang, nice bow! Where did you get it?”
    “Thanks, it’s a Waffles creation.”

I hope this will do 2 things:

1. Allow dedicated crafters to drive more business.
    2. More appreciation for the time and effort it takes to craft.

I was playing around with the idea they can also have a flavor text on rarer goods. It makes their product a little more custom, but I know some would be vulgar.

We must away, to the Waffle House to get swords made.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I am an avid MMO crafter by necessity simply because I HATE searching high and low for someone to make my gear. I then have to worry about them getting it right, tips, etc. I much prefer saying, "I need to upgrade my armor"....go get the mats and just make it. This also allows me all the options with little expense (I'm very picky about how my characters look B) )

This may change however with AoC because I have not until now, played in an entirely player driven economy. I would probably then have to decide what I would specialize in (probably gravitate towards the most pain in the ass craft so I don't have to search for days for that rare crafter)

Of course do we have any idea what crafts will be in game as of now? I haven't heard anything.
  • Of course do we have any idea what crafts will be in game as of now? I haven't heard anything.
    Have you seen @Diura's summary? This sums up pretty much all we know right now. 

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/33027/information-artisan-gathering-and-crafting
  • I am an avid MMO crafter by necessity simply because I HATE searching high and low for someone to make my gear. 
    Holy crap this is me! As a crafter you try to know other crafters too and exchange goods, ideas, spawn locations. A network of sorts. I think a system where crafters could post their services (not their goods) would be advantages. Almost like an ordering system. 

A sword may cost you 300 drachma to craft but by the time you sell it its worth is now ~200. If you sold the service by order you would always sell at market price. People could search by skill level of artisan. If there is not enough work for a top tier weapon smith they could slum it in mid tear to make a quick buck.
  • A good thing about Ashe's stall system is that it pretty much makes cutting impossible.  By the looks of it, item's will be able to retain their value no matter how cheap some other crafter is selling them in another town. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    lexmax said:
    Of course do we have any idea what crafts will be in game as of now? I haven't heard anything.
    Have you seen @Diura's summary? This sums up pretty much all we know right now. 

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/33027/information-artisan-gathering-and-crafting
    No I haven't. Thanks for the link!
    Elder said:
    A good thing about Ashe's stall system is that it pretty much makes cutting impossible.  By the looks of it, item's will be able to retain their value no matter how cheap some other crafter is selling them in another town. 
    Don't be so quick to think it will be impossible. ESO uses a decentralized stall system but some creative individuals created a market tracker addon program that let you know what items were being posted and sold for. I didn't tell you where to find a certain item so you still had to do a lot of leg work to find something but it did tell you with reasonable certainty if you were getting a good deal or not.

So if AoC allows addons (which I wouldn't see why not) you can count on something like this showing up.
  • Well, actually they won't be allowing add-ons.  At least if I'm remembering right. When it was brought up on stream they said they would allow cosmetic customizations of interfaces but that's it. I may have to go find it again though to make sure.
  • Elder said:
    Well, actually they won't be allowing add-ons.  At least if I'm remembering right. When it was brought up on stream they said they would allow cosmetic customizations of interfaces but that's it. I may have to go find it again though to make sure.
    Quote from the Lazy Peon Q&A
    1. [47:20] Will you allow addons for AoC?

1. Generally the answer is no.

2. There is a point where addons become a necessary tool for players to have

3. Parsers can have some nasty effects on players, if you are not the 1% the way you are treated

• @lexmax Thanks for that :) 
  • lexmax said:
    Elder said:
    Well, actually they won't be allowing add-ons.  At least if I'm remembering right. When it was brought up on stream they said they would allow cosmetic customizations of interfaces but that's it. I may have to go find it again though to make sure.

3. Parsers can have some nasty effects on players, if you are not the 1% the way you are treated

As a developer myself I can tell you there are ways around this (that are not breaking the ULA). 

A lot of times this is why do allow it so they can hopefully control what is being used inside their application. I'm not justifying it one way or another, but I'm hoping the system described by @Elder .
  • See this is why I love the idea of world-building in games and to me, this will be a great part of it.
  • MrWaffles said:
    lexmax said:
    Elder said:

As a developer myself I can tell you there are ways around this (that are not breaking the ULA). 

A lot of times this is why do allow it so they can hopefully control what is being used inside their application. I'm not justifying it one way or another, but I'm hoping the system described by @Elder .
    If true, that would be GREAT! I fully admit to despising addons in general. I always felt I was at a distinct disadvantage because I was not running that combat addon and the like. Then when a major content patch comes along it cripples me for weeks because all my addons are broke, waiting to be updated.

As Mr Waffles pointed out however, just because there will not be addons in general doesn't mean enterprising people won't be able to figure out how to collect data and run say that marketing program as an outside app.
  • While yes crafters will get to leave their mark, what about the gatherer? For there will be no crafting without this essential service, the brave and the bold venturing into the wilds to discover those rare and precious resources.

As has been sated there will be 3 main areas, gathering, refining and crafting all 3 interlinked and essential. I would expect that only the most dedicated of gatherers will be able find those rarest and most precious of resources, and by the same token only the most dedicated of refiners will be able to shape those rough materials into a useable form.

Though only the barest of bare bones has been announced thus far to do with crafting we do know that to reach the greatest of skill in your chosen profession you will have to focus into one of the 3 skill trees. As has been said rare crafting materials will come from bosses but will you need a master gatherer to extract them, and then a master refiner to process? All good questions I would suggest.

So thus my first character will set forth into the world, with pick and shovel, saw and sickle, ready to gather what is needed, to forge and smelt, hammer and hone, brew and cook, all so waffles can put his stamp on it. 
  • Varkun said:
    Though only the barest of bare bones has been announced thus far to do with crafting we do know that to reach the greatest of skill in your chosen profession you will have to focus into one of the 3 skill trees. As has been said rare crafting materials will come from bosses but will you need a master gatherer to extract them, and then a master refiner to process? All good questions I would suggest.
    So thus my first character will set forth into the world, with pick and shovel, saw and sickle, ready to gather what is needed, to forge and smelt, hammer and hone, brew and cook, all so waffles can put his stamp on it. 

Varkun I loved the poetic way you put this :) . Couldn't tell if your final remark was facetious, but will reward you with a waffles custom! I will protect my gathering brethren. You have my bow/staff (going as archer and healer characters) to help you gather on.