Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Announcement/Quest agency

I don't know if someone already posted similar idea (too lazy to search, sorry) but I thought about it while talking on Discord.

I'd love to see some kind of agency where player would pay to post announcements/quests on noticeboard. For example:
Task giver offers 100 gold for bringing him some rare material. He goes to agency to put up an announcement. He pays the NPC said 100 gold + 5% fee for posting it - in total 105 gold. Someone who completes the task leaves said item in agency and receives the payment and task giver is called to retrieve the ordered item.
The fee agency takes would be payment for being "middle man" and it would partially (or fully) go to treasury of city/town where it is located.

What do you think? Will something like that even be interesting to you guys and girls?

Comments

• I think that is really interesting! The idea of player made quests could open many possibilities for both parties, whether you are the client or the person taking the job.

Let's say for example, The client is a crafter and all their points are in crafting so trying to gather resources with crap gathering skills wouldn't let that person gather higher tier items and the yield would probably suck. This would then be a waste of time for the crafter.
    The crafter would instead put in a request on this "agency" board for someone to complete.

I guess some could say "why not go to the AH?" But I think if the crafter dose not need the items right away and could probably get that items a bit cheaper, it could be a win win (buy orders from EVE comes to mind).
    Now why would the person taking a job take the job in the first place for a possible lower price then on the AC? I would think that if this was a system in place in the game, the person taking the job would not only get payed in full right away by the "agency" but also gain a little xp.

Also the fee would go into upping the node....maybe. That is at least what i could think of if that was a thing in the game.
  • I think that is really interesting! The idea of player made quests could open many possibilities for both parties, whether you are the client or the person taking the job.

Let's say for example, The client is a crafter and all their points are in crafting and none in gathering so trying to gather resources with crap gathering skills wouldn't let that person gather higher tier items and the yield would probably suck. This would then be a waste of time for the crafter.
    The crafter would instead put in a request on this "agency" board for someone to complete.

I guess some could say "why not go to the AH?" But I think if the crafter dose not need the items right away and could probably get that items a bit cheaper, it could be a win win (buy orders from EVE comes to mind).
    Now why would the person taking a job take the job in the first place for a possible lower price then on the AC? I would think that if this was a system in place in the game, the person taking the job would not only get payed in full right away by the "agency" but also gain a little xp.

Also the fee would go into upping the node....maybe. That is at least what i could think of if that was a thing in the game.
  • This could be a really cool feature and ISS has already put a great example of use there.
    I'm really curious to see what kind fo functional buildings we get in the nodes.
  • I remember you talking about that in the Discord xPPPPPPP I love the idea that we can ask players to do our bidding (of course with payment)! I also want to make the NPC's do it. So if there isn't that much players that would want to do it, a npc could. And since the game has a growing environment, the NPC could probably become a lord or something from doing it. :D
  • What would this system do that trade chat or an auction house doesn't? Is there something more to this then a work order system?
  • Trade chat in itselfe is just a horride place, the spam to get noticed, sifting through endless walls of text to find what you need. Anything is better than a need for tradechat since there is no alternative, in that regard a work order is just the thing.

I would say nodedevelopment/other benefits is the important point. An auctionhourse tax is there for a goldsink, binding that to the nodedevelopment would mean you need other goldsinks to offset the >>uncontrolled<< flow put into the node. So giving an alternative where you could earn more/paying less due to lower taxes and that tax specifically going into node development sounds like an easy alternative.
    It could open up options for other benefits instead too, it's a quest so you may earn some exp, or maybe you can earn some reputation for the node.
    "You helped someone in need, have some progress for the religion class/ <insert other fitting class type>"
    Sounds like a great interaction between players where they can reward each other for "small deeds" with small regulated rewards.

It's very easy to adjust. Limiting people to be able to put up only one request at a time would ensure that it doesn't replace the auctionhouse.
    Think about the caravans, it aligns well with it. "requesting those materials" ""accepting quest and heading out""

In my personal opinion I don't like to put up orders in an auctionhouse. I don't go into a supermarket and put in an order for stuff they don't have either, makes no sense to me, same for a market. People brought what they have and sell it, you don't go around and request something they don't have.
    So for me, immersion is another point.
  • As Grisu/Zekece said, trade chat is awful at times. Seeing spam and missing opportunities (missing what you looking for or others missing what you are trying to sell/trade) can get annoying. I feel that you could just put in your request and forget it until it gets completed by someone. Grisu/Zekece gave a far better example tho :).
  • You'd have to make it gold seller proof somehow.

Who would set pricing / limits to avoid gold sellers taking advantage?
    How would you control how many could take the quest?
    Maybe a player could put in however many they have toward the order, thus reducing quantity needed allowing multiple players (or one player to fill the order)
    A person could collect the mats toward gear upgrades, etc.
    This would be a nice sideline at "endgame" (I know Intrepid doesn't like this term) - thinking along the lines of dailies.
    What are other down sides?

This has my vote for something the devs might want to put some thought into.
  • [quote quote=5467]Who would set pricing / limits to avoid gold sellers taking advantage?[/quote]

You can just take the lowest available price off the market/last price purchased, if that is not secure enough for you with an active gm base which is planned you can go with:
    Take the lowest average pricepoint over the last 7 days, it's just the tax that's less anyway and makes teh difference.
    As to the other optional rewards, I'm sure aquiring stuff will fall into different categorys of difficuluty, from abundant to unique, development just needs to put a pricetag on it.

[quote quote=5467]How would you control how many could take the quest?[/quote]

How does an auctionhouse work? First come first serve. No need to reinvent the wheel.
  • I'd prefer player control prices so things can be priced competitively but you could easily have it be a system thing similar to BDO.

Controlling how many could take the quest is the fun part. It would probably be best if anyone can take it but the quest goes away after someone turns it in or the order has been met. Only reason i say this is it avoids people trolling by taking orders and not doing them.

Allowing people to put a quantity towards it would be ideal in my eyes.

Only risk i see is people exploiting this to get rep or exp which could be mitigated.
  • I could understand that, someone could take the order and not complete it. I feel like there would be some type of time limit to the quest once that person picked it up (maybe 6-12hrs not to rush them or maybe more). Some people like myself get side tracked when questing or doing other things because I like to explore.

when it comes to controlling how many people could take a quest, maybe one. That may seem a bit low but lets say in a fantasy world when a adventure see a request on the board at a guild hall or where ever this board is, there is only one paper on that board for someone to take.

Just as a immersion factor, this seems like a idea.
  • I really like this idea. It makes the world feel more alive and immersive. I think Grisu has nailed it; tie the missions in to node development and it will be far more beneficial in the long run to take on local quests versus selling for more profit at the AH.
  • @McStackerson, I totally agree that prices should be playerdriven nothing is a larger moodkiller than fixed prices when you look forward to have fun in the market...
  • [quote quote=5382]I’d love to see some kind of agency where player would pay to post announcements/<strong>quests</strong><em> on noticeboard.[/quote]

100% supported.
    110% supported, if you can post PVP quests.
    120% supported, if you can post a quest, which requires a guild / warband to complete.
  • If you would want to detoriate gold-selling you would just have to make it less profitable than the direct alternative alas a auction house or direct trading. In another post it was for example suggested to add a 5% tax on inn-consumables in contrast to a theoretical 2-3% auctionhouse tax.

Then again we are talking about two kinds of markets. An order market contra a direct trade market. An order market you put in orders that you are willing to buy X,Y,Z for Q1 gold. Where as in a direct market you pay the listed price of Q2 gold for X,Y,Z. Hence price-development may be spontanous in direct markets, but may be relatively rigid in order markets. The problem with order markets is however in a real-life situation if it is monitored properly it will result in over-production and under-consumption. A viable example of this would be the american meat order market for venison in the 20th century.

Essentially the market can easily exist along side the direct market but will function differently. The only way one would keep gold-sellers from taking all the listnings would be to make the player able to choose whom they accept items from, or to increase taxes. In essence to make it less diserable for the gold-sellers to engage in such activities would be to make it less-desirable to other players. One might argue that one would prefer this market due to immersion constraints but preferences are many. As mentioned I also suggested the ability of choice for the player. As this would not only enable the player to detoriate the gold-sellers but would implement the ability of embargos and trade blocks.

On that note one could refuse to accept order turn-ins from rivaling guilds and players, as one would be fueling the enemy.