Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What happens when a City Nod has been destroyed by an army of players?

A.)Would the attacking players get to Conquer the Node?

B.)Would the players rebuild the destroyed node, or automatically be repaired?

C.)Would the Node reset and go back to lvl 0 Node?

D.) None of the above?

just curious because i can't see the exact answer anywhere. :)

Comments

• I would hope it's some combination of your listed possibilities. Something like when they conquer it gets knocked down one level and has to be claimed by the attackers then leveled up again.
  • From what Intrepid has said, it seems like successful sieges will delevel tho node one level; NPC or player sieges. The thing with what you said though is that if you wanted to use that node you would have no reason to delevel it. No one actually owns the node, it belongs to the world, and everyone reaps those benefits a metropolis has. If you're talking about wanting to overthrow the particular player politics of the metropolis, you would do that through the political system itself. Each type of node will have its way of handling politics.

There certainly are reasons you would want to destroy a node tho. Nodes near each other will stop each other from developing, and will absorb the others zone of influence. So node 1 reaches metropolis, and neighboring node 2 loses area and is prevented from leveling up. Say node 1 is a military node, but you want the crafting benefits from scientific node 2. You would then siege node 1 until it deleveled more and more until you were able to turn node 2 into the scientific metropolis you dreamed of.

This game is going to have a lot of layers, and won't just be mindless siege just to siege. You'll have to figure out if it's worth developing a neighboring node, or if you just want to jump in and play the politics game of the already developed node.
  • You could potentially repair a node they have destroyed, which is what they're most likely going to do, because controlling a node to get that castle seems important to lots of people. So A is a definite yes. I'm not sure about the rest of it though.
  • @KenRichie I would hope its a choice of what you have said.
    I think I recall an example on Twitch where players attacked and besieged their neighbours so they could increase their own nodes trade. Get rid of the competition and all that stuff. In that brief example Steven spoke about the attackers choosing to raise the node to the ground and then how any player could choose to work at rebuilding that node again if they wanted to by the normal methods of quests, dungeons, fishing etc.

I was only a brief discussion and idea from them, not to be taken as the final product. But it does give the idea that there would be many reasons why a node was attacked in the first place and that the attackers could choose what they wanted as the outcome.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    A]  A successful siege causes a node to de-level one Stage

B] Players would be able to start rebuilding. Nodes don't auto-repair.

C] The node will only de-level to Stage 0 if a siege on a Stage 1 node is successful.

D] (trick question)
  • From what I've read is the node can not be re occupied after a certain grace period, if a stage 1 is destroyed. If the metro is destroyed it just loses a level and you'd have to re level it up. In that time you're trying to level it up again another city could beat you to becoming a metro. 
    edited August 2017
    KenRichie said:
    A.)Would the attacking players get to Conquer the Node?

B.)Would the players rebuild the destroyed node, or automatically be repaired?

C.)Would the Node reset and go back to lvl 0 Node?

D.) None of the above?

My answer is D.

A successful siege will delevel the node by one stage. (edit)
    edited June 2017
    Well,  if it's been "destroyed" 

I guess it's done for.  

The conquerors either:

A. Run off laughing
    B. Dance in the ashes
    C. Use it as a compost heap
    D. Rebuild.
  • What I would actually like to know is how they handle player housing that had been occupied before the node de-levels.

It would be really demoralising for a casual player who spent months earning enough to afford the lowest tier housing in the city, just to have it de-level and have his house destroyed all of a sudden.
  • @KenRichie

Based on what the developers have shared, 

You don't conquer a defeated node with a successful siefe, you delevel or destroy it. 

Rebuilding can happen but if another metropolis rises while your metropolis is still rebuilding and the node cap is reached... You won't be able to rebuild it.           

@SpectoRz, I think the developers have mentioned that getting a house won't be as tedious as in other games due to the fact that they aren't permanent. 

Also, they've mentioned considering the ability to copy blue prints of your layout incase your houses gets demolished and you have to rebuild it somewhere. 

Lastly, siegeing is as "difficult" as leveling up a node. Possibly requiring a similar amount of time and resources to successfully carry out sieges. So the rise and fall of nodes aren't planned to be a simple thing. 
  • @AutumnWillow was it mentioned that houses are not permanent? That would defeat the purpose of part of why quite a lot of people play the game wouldn't it? Just thinking that I spent time and money to find a good location and then decorate it, only for it to be 'temporary'.

Feels like it would be better to live away from big cities  :D

It would also be backfiring on the fact that real estate would be a part of the game.
  • SpectoRz said:
    @AutumnWillow was it mentioned that houses are not permanent? That would defeat the purpose of part of why quite a lot of people play the game wouldn't it? Just thinking that I spent time and money to find a good location and then decorate it, only for it to be 'temporary'.

Feels like it would be better to live away from big cities  :D

It would also be backfiring on the fact that real estate would be a part of the game.

Not permanent as in they can be destroyed during sieges. Keeping in mind the players laying siege to attack a node has to take as much effort (time and money) as you do. So it won't be something done on a whim. 

So that will possibly also keep real estate prices in check. Speaking of real estate. 

"The number of mansions in a metropolis will be the same number of small homes that were available in this metropolis’ village stage. Only those houses that existed at the Village level will ever become these main street mansions. So effectively at each stage the node advances, you will see the existing homes advance as well. This makes getting in early for a node, pretty important. And introduces a real estate aspect to owning in-node property."

So there will be speculation and other stuff that might appeal to players who're into houses. Your small humble hut in the low level node might end up being a huge mansion if that node gets upgraded. 
  • OK. So...
    A successful siege de-levels a node one Stage.

Certain services can be destroyed during a siege - I'm thinking that's Libraries, Temples, Fast Travel Network, Scholars Academy, possibly apartment buildings.

For an hour or two after a successful siege, freeholds will be vulnerable to attack by the victors. We will be able to use hired guards or friends to help fend of attackers.
    If the defense is unsuccessful, the freehold will be destroyed.
    But, we will have blueprints to help us rebuild, either at the same node if it's at least Stage 3 or we can become a citizen of a different node (Stage 3+) and rebuild there.
    It's easier to rebuild a freehold than it was originally.

Keep in mind that people might move their freeholds and change homes to different nodes for a variety of reasons besides just sieges...like taxes being to high or some other node having the perks you want.

• Also, I don't think it should always be considered a "bad" thing for a node to de-level from Metropolis.  Allowing another, new Metropolis to form will allow different events in the world to occur, basically giving the game an injection of "new" content.

In a perfect world, the players on any given shard should probably figure out which four nodes they want to have as base major cities, and have the fifth Metropolis rotate around to allow the shard to experience all the content available as every single node opens up it's metropolis only content.  As I'm sure we can all agree, it won't happen that way, but that would be the best way.
  • 1 No, forces an end game scenario and zerg or one city mentality. 

2 Has to be releveled. 

3 Loses levels based on damage, sectors captured. Your unlikely to drop a level 4 to 0 without serious organizational skills. 
    edited July 2017
    You cant drop from level 4 to 0 ...full stop.
    You can drop from 4 to 3 and so on.
    A declaration period of days is required for any siege.
    The cooldown applies of 10x the required declaration period after any siege.

No one will be wiping anything off the map on a whim.

Freeholds only have to be constructed once. Once built you have a snapshot or blueprint that can be built without further cost at any other suitable node.
  • I think the devs said you can rebuild Freeholds at a greatly reduced cost; not without further cost. Life of consequences.
    Good news is, they are thinking about also including props placement, so, we won't have to redecorate.
  • And since the example they gave of declaration period on a metropolis to be 5 actual days. The cooldown would then be 50 days, plenty of time to rebuild and reinforce.
  • It would remain destoryed and the player "you" would have to repair it and rule it your self or sell it or even gain it for the guild you are with.... I Assume I think it would be cool.
  • This makes information a vital role in politics, such as getting your city involved in "providing help" for an another's siege to level up your node before they do...
  • They have stated that node siege declarations would be announced as server event messages. So while you may be off adventuring halfway around the sunless sea, you will know to sail for home to get there in time to defend it.