Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What is the most important aspect of an MMORPG, for you, that you want Ashes of Creation to execute?

Greetings, gamers.  Rogue Raven here.
There are many important aspects of an online game that are not always executed properly in games coming out on the MMORPG scene.  What aspect(s) is most important to you?  What games have exemplified this aspect and how would you approve upon it if possible?

~Rogue Raven
Thespian Extraordinaire

Comments

• i would of say probably events bringing people together and all but since AOC is a player based game it sure promise a good game but i guess the most inportant thing would be fixing bugs so that there arent game breaking exploits and all
  • When playing a Mmorpg, don't you want to make yourself into a unique paragon that stands above the masses and has their very own respect once they log in.
    Being able to develop a character that can't be considered as anyone's but yours.
    the freedom and uniqueness that allow you to become the best of the best at any random aspect of the game.
  • Challenging content that necessitates long term coordination and collaboration to surmount. Most of the MMORPGS i've played have had this to some degree; but they've all failed to keep me engaged due to content droughts and burnout caused by excessive repetition.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    "Make guilds great again", when I hear people talk about mmorpgs and regression rather than progression in the field (something I generally agree with) I instantly think of games like World of Warcraft where it is almost completely useless being in an in game guild. A lot of my enjoyment and pseudo content for me in mmos is working towards strengthening a guild and our alliances almost more so than my own characters.
    The more we are able to customise internally our guild structure the better also. I hate having to try and fit a guilds direction and hierarchy into some absolutely forced GM (all stuff), Officer (all stuff minus boot the GM), Member (some stuff interact not setup), Recruit (no stuff).
    If I really wanted to push my luck I would love to see Guild "Ranks", Subranks (& i'm probably a bit greedy wanting to split it again.
    By this I mean I want to be able to say Assign a group of people to "Council", Every council member would have this rank although each could have a title/subrank eg. grandmaster craftsman or quartermaster. A lower generic rank may be "Citizen" with sub ranks denoting which "officer/council" sub rank you primarily report to. In this example subranks could be "Artisan" and "Gatherer/Adventurer" (*ok so I stuggled in 5 seconds to find a decent generic name for the post).
    The main take away from the rant however being that the setup is guild "created" rather than set, it would mean a few more relational database tables for the developers but would be absolutely amazing if specific "officers" could have permissions based on what they need rather than all encompassing.
    edited June 2017
    как можно больше всяких разных нарядов одежды как в Клинок и Душа из боссов там выбивать можно наряды одежду, нон таргет из Дракон Догма японская версия мне очень эта система понравилась так же и классы от туда можно взять алхимик, магический лучник. и мир нужен огромный что бы несколько дней не хватило его полностью обойти, сильные и умные монстры, игра должна быть очень сложной, мир должен быть единым а не поделенный на локации с переходами а то как в Клинке и Душа понаставили переходы и сидишь на одних загрузках а не играет, еще обязательно в игре нужно много всякие секреты, тайники, головоломки, тайны, и что бы появлялись не в одном и том же месте а случайным образом по всему миру, ни какие телепорты все убрать.
  • как можно больше всяких разных нарядов одежды как в Клинок и Душа из боссов там выбивать можно наряды одежду, нон таргет из дракон догма японская версия мне очень эта система понравилась так же и классы от туда можно взять алхимик, магический лучник. и мир нужен огромный что бы несколько дней не хватил его полностью обойти, сильные и умные мобы, игра должны быть очень сложный, мир должны быть единый а не поделенный на локацию с переходами а то как в клинке и душа понаставил переходы и сидит на один загрузку а не играет, еще обязательно в игре нужно много всяких секретах, тайники, головоломки, тайны, и что бы появлялся не в одном и том же месте а случайный образом по всему миру, ни каких телепортов все убрать.
    Translated:
    As many different clothes as possible in Blade & Soul from bosses there can be knocked out clothes outfits, non target from Dragon's Dogma Online Japanese version I really liked this system as well and classes from there you can take alchemist, magical archer. And the world needs a huge one that would not be enough to completely bypass it for a few days, strong and clever mobs, the game must be very complex, the world should be single and not divided into locations with transitions, but how in Blade & Soul ponastavili transitions and sit on some downloads But do not play, there is still a need in the game for all sorts of secrets, caches, puzzles, secrets, and that would appear not in the same place but randomly around the world, or any teleports to remove everything.

Puzzles and secrets!  A large open world to explore.  Random spawning high level mobs that roam the entire world. Excitement and danger. Random Live events.
    edited June 2017
    как можно больше всяких разных нарядов одежды как в Клинок и Душа из боссов там выбивать можно наряды одежду , нон таргет из Дракон Догма японская версия мне очень эта система понравилась так же и классы от туда можно взять алхимик , магический лучник. и мир нужен огромный что бы несколько дней не хватило его полностью обойти , сильные и умные монстры, игра должна быть очень сложной, мир должен быть единым а не поделенный на локации с переходами а то как в Клинке и Душа понаставили переходы и сидишь на одних загрузках а не играешь, еще обязательно в игре нужно много всякие секреты, тайники, головоломки, тайны, и что бы не появлялись в одном и том же месте а по случайному образу по всему миру, ни каких телепортов все убрать.
  • From what I have noticed with MMORPGs and MMOs in general is that what is a make or break is the community of players. When playing MMOs there are people who can take things too seriously or not seriously enough and can ruin the experience for others. Being able to filter out the 'salty' players from prefered ones who can fit in the happy medium of your play experience would be awesome.
  • I write one and translates quite another
  • Ok new thought, mostly not serious (due to time to develop vs what else could be better polished instead) but sort of am. Given the flavour of the month AI and machine learning.... Real time chat translation so that what you say in your native language gets seen in game in everyone else native language and vice versa.
    edited June 2017
    I feel that the MMORPG genre in recent years has turned to solo play, most MMORPGs you can pretty much do everything alone and that is not what an mmo experience should be about if you want to play a game by yourself play an offline solo game, dungeons now can just be mindlessly ran through with little to no communication or effort, this is fine to an extent, there should be a point in time where grouping and communication is required to succeed in certain activities and even fairly early in the game. Another element that has ruined not only most open world games but MMORPGs in general is click-map-fast-travel, (ex. Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online) developers should NEVER give the option to open your map and click a location and suddenly teleport there no matter what the cost of gold or whatever resource it requires, make players run to a boat, carriage, or griffin, or use a taxi mount at the very least (ex. World of Warcraft, Everquest, Final Fantasy XI & XIV) or ask another player for a teleport for instant travel which also helps with player interaction, click-map-fast-travel not only ruins the shrinks the size of the world but prevents people from coming in contact with other players for help or direction in the world like in woodsy trails or vast deserts, it will make the world seem a lot less active and empty with map fast travel and I also feel that every open world game must have mounts but using them should come with some sort of drawback for example you will be required to feed and take care of your mounts health and statsif you want to ride it, if you get attacked while on a mount the mount should throw you off onto your back and run off for a short time for your enemy to get a few good hits on you as well as the mount hotkey having a cool down for several minutes before it can be called again (this is not much of an addition to challenge but, why make games so easy, mounts should be mandatory but it should be a privilege not a right) (I watched a devdoc on fast travel and they confirmed there will be very little fast travel except through allied nodes which is understandable and please i beg you to keep it this way very good decision making), one of the prime reasons im backing this game is because of the lack of click-map-fast-travel and is a blight to open world games. I also feel that there should be an in game option to lock your frame rate to whatever frame you want whether it be 30, 60, 120 etc. frame rate drops are not only an immersion breaker but it makes me nauseous and a lot of devs dont give the option to lock it at least give people options, i dont care what frame rate it is as long as it stays locked, for example if prefer my game to run at 120 or 60 but it drops to 30 in high activity areas, I want to be able to lock it at 30 because the frame rate shifting back and fourth makes me nauseous (I have been playing games at 30 fps for 27 years, im used to it and don't mind it if i have to use it) One of the biggest draws for me in high fantasy games is the weapon and armor design and the way the magic spells are casted and how they look, if the devs are not creative with their designs and put out ugly looking weapons and armor and spells that look harmless then I will not likely play those MMORPGs (Elder Scrolls Online, World of Warcraft) but there are a few devs that have went beyond being creative and have designed some of the best armor and weapons designs and spell effects (Final Fantasy XI & XIV, BlackDesert, Lineage, Guild Wars 2) but if you want to impress people with armor designs and magic, Dark Souls has some of the most beautifully crafted weapons and armor I have ever seen, and their spells are very well designed look at their loot gallery on wiki and youtube vids if you haven't, Japanese and Korean gear designers are by far some of the best at designing western themed weapons and armor. Day and Night cycles are great if they are done correctly, I dont want to come home every weekday after work to play my game in night time every day (World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls Online) I want day time as much as possible because its just easier to see and really makes the visual fidelity pop so make the day and night cycle with a 2-3 hour span (Final Fantasy XI & XIV)  that way myself and others get some Day and Night in my evening game session.
  • Community.
  • Challenge AND class balance without inducing elitism.

No fruitless grinding. No time sinks.

Player crafted items depend only on craft skill and are not dependent in any way on character level. Player crafted items can equal or surpass loot items.

All items can be traded or sold including all loot, forage, and craft. Nearly everything can be broken or rot. (VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS)

Every skill combine or kill gives experience of some kind. (BE WARY of and VERY CAUTIOUS introducing skill rot -- great way to alienate players)

I guess it could be that a new player enters the world with nothing but a shovel and an axe.

Engaging content. (two words that mean so much)

Sound, if done right, could make the game over the top great. The problem is that sound is so hard to get right. Get it wrong, or if it is repetitious, and players turn the sound off and the game loses its charm if it had any. Good environmental sound equals immersion.

NO free to play. NO pay to win. (I'm just High Fiving with this one)  This includes paid expansions. Expand the game as you will but lets keep the game alive and expanding with subscriptions. I'll never buy another game expansion pack.

Don't force players to group: Solo open-world play is way more important than the majority of people not designing a game realize. The game is experience by the individual player. Make it so that most content isn't enjoyable by a solo player and a group isn't going to make it any better. Not only that but some player classes like Rangers and Rogues nearly require the ability to solo explore -- that's the point of playing those classes. Scouting and tracking is a solo skill. Game mechanics and physics have to work for each character individually. Grouping and raiding is an additional construct to facilitate distribution of XP and loot and/or unlock zone/content instances.

Don't force players into having to be in a guild. Some of us don't care about "end game" content and we don't want to be forced into it. Some of us want to be "free agent" mercenaries.

-- My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my family, guild, or pets. --
  • For my friends and me, we've played SW:ToR for long time, is playing in a party important for a mmorpg. I like the system, BugWare/Bioware had for SW:ToR, all member of the party are in the same conversation with the constituent (Quest NPC). But the system was holey like dutch cheese. Often you had to collect a questitem more then once because it was exhausted/collected by a partymember before or the dropchance was personal, so you had to kill instead of 5 enemies 50 for the last questitem of the party. Same with the crafting ressources. I would prefer, if the ressources were collectable for all partymember for probably 5 or 10 seconds. In this way a party could collect more than a single player.

So summarized: Party play!

For them, who don't want to be in a guild, like Brandoneus said, there should be enough to do. And maybe every dungeon could be gone in a story/single player modus (like in Riders of Icarus).
  • The highest priority for a mmo for me are the combat mechanics. GW2 has the best so far but recently has become cluttered with the incapacitating and conditions (damage over time) and one of my big pet peeves of GW2 is how armor "weights" light, medium, and heavy (cloth, leather, metal) are restricted to specific classes and provide additional armor without any negative consequences. For example: Heavy armor is called HEAVY armor for a reason, it is friggin HEAVY. So while providing a great deal of additional protection, it also greatly hampers mobility, just you try to chase after some naked gladiator in a suit of armor and see how fast and for how long you can move around in it! And why should you have to wear cloth just because you like throwing fireballs? So my hopes include the ability for any class to wear any weight armor, for armor to only have a significant impact on defensive stats (although "imbueing" with special stones and enchantments is legit, I don't buy into what armor I'm wearing making me stronger or anything) and for heavier armor to have a trade off in movement speed. Mobile with less protection vs slow and tanky!
  • I want to see some sick super hard raid!
  • Getting released.  :D
  • For me it's a very good non-instanced housing system with crafting and tradeskills to complement it. They could reference the things that work in UO, SWG and AA.
  • The PvP system is crucial
  • Well for me crafting.I played BDO for a while and really enjoyed the complexity of alchemie and cooking but was rather disapointed in the crafting in weapons and armore.
    When  crafting is so complex that if you start to tell some,who is not into crafting, how to craft an item and he shackes off and says "Buddy sry I do not get what you are talking at all".Then you reached the point where i get intrested,pls dont aks why i like complex stuff i dont know it my self.XD But also to upgrade your gear constantly by yourself rather than grinding a boss to get a better weapon.Well you will have to gather mats but it is  a part of the progress.
  • как можно больше всяких разных нарядов одежды как в Клинок и Душа из боссов там выбивать можно наряды одежду , нон таргет из Дракон Догма японская версия мне очень эта система понравилась так же и классы от туда можно взять алхимик , магический лучник. и мир нужен огромный что бы несколько дней не хватило его полностью обойти , сильные и умные монстры, игра должна быть очень сложной, мир должен быть единым а не поделенный на локации с переходами а то как в Клинке и Душа понаставили переходы и сидишь на одних загрузках а не играешь, еще обязательно в игре нужно много всякие секреты, тайники, головоломки, тайны, и что бы не появлялись в одном и том же месте а по случайному образу по всему миру, ни каких телепортов все убрать.
  • For me its big companies making MMOs for the "casual" players. more people tend to flock to MMOs that are made easy, there has to be hardship and players must work for what they have, in FFXI a game I talk about a lot players had to form a 6 man party, tank healer DPS the whole shibang just to down monsters your own level and gain experience. you did not level by playing solo. the story mode content was grueling because you couldn't just queue up for something either you actually had to take time to form a party and go there as a group. This in turn created a tighter community where players helped others a lot even new players or players doing content that others finished a long time ago because those players themselves went through hell getting there.

There need to be adversity in MMOs otherwise you have a bunch of little kids playing in a sandbox together
  • As stated above...challenging content...don't just hand me stuff....make me earn it. Vanilla WOW was great at this then it went downhill fast.
    Make it take a while to level up....this is BDO's main failure I think...make me explore the world, get to know it, interact with it, let me learn the items, don't make me chunk an item so I can just get the next one to help me level up. The same goes for spells as well and abilities.
    Something is loved more when it's earned than when it is given.
  • Great combat system, most important part of any game if you ask me. 

In depth crafting is also something I'll enjoy but I think Ashes has this one covered.
  • I enjoy all aspects of the mmo's I play PvP/PvE its all just fun and enjoyment to me, well as long as the systems are fun and enjoyable. The one thing I would like to see done really well is an in depth crafting system that forms the foundation for the whole games economy.
    Thus far Vanguard has had the most involved and enjoyable crafting system I have experienced so far, I made so much money making horse shoes that gave a small speed boost lol.
  • Make character creation great again! And equal for everyone. 
    Meaning if some people get to have jiggly boob sliders. We should get VPL/dickprint and package sliders that flop around mid combat. 

Just saying
  • For me the single most important aspect of an MMORPG is Character Development and the Story Telling in the game. I love being given choices that will effect my Characters Life, for Better or for Worse. Just like in SWTOR
  • i want legendary and epic items to mean something again. i hate how every new expansion makes everyone restart and all that hard work to obtain such items meaningless. i want extremely hard to get items(weapons, gears), be be like a mark of respect from the community and a badge of honor. Make Legendary and epic items meaningful again :)
  • I would like a bit of 'hardcoreness' ( dont think thats even a word) in regards to travelling and exploring. I'm tired of quest destinations simply being marked with a giant white arrow etc, i want a game like the old days where they would say ' a cave to the east' and you would have to actually find it by exploring as opposed to just simply sprinting to the white arrow, as i play my mmo today this has totally killed the sense of exploration and satisfaction with ' find the cave in the east'. ....so zero quest markers please!! lol
    Secondly i want the inns and taverns to be real hubs somehow with music players and jollyness, maybe have gambling and card games in the and stuff you can only get in Taverns.
  • This isn't exactly the most important aspect but it kinda is at the same time.

The economy.  I've played too many games where the economy has ruined it for new players.  You get in early?  Great, buying that bronze for your level 1 blacksmith is cheap and affordable.  A few years later when gold sellers take over, it'll now take you a week of grinding to get enough money to buy a single piece, let alone a stack.

Same with gear.  New player who ants to get into the game, but can't afford to buy any gear, because people on their third alts are bidding millions for items which simply aren't worth it just so they can be twinked out.  (i'm lookingat you WoW)

I honestly hope that there are some controls in place in this game in order to prevent that kind of thing from happening, 
    ----------------

Second place idea is options.  I don't mind partying, but I hate being forced to.  I think partying up should help with doing certain things, but they shouldn't be the only way to progress.  As an example of good and bad.  Bad is FFXI, you hit level 14, and from then on in order to level you have to party up, you want to log in for half an hour and grind a bit?  Nope, because you gotta  spend most of that time finding a party.  

Good was FFXIV, you can go the entire game (up until raids really) and not need to party up at all, it makes it faster, but you don't have to.