Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dungeon idea

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited August 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
@Darshx1 writes:

Hey, just thought I'd suggest this idea here.

It would be cool to have a large almost endless open world tower style dungeon with over 100 floors which are all huge mazes where players have no map.  These floors would have several bosses and a main boss hidden room which must be unlocked by perhaps finding items from mobs or other bosses, or even some kind of puzzle.   Once the main boss room is unlocked and the main boss is beaten, players would then get access to the next floor and get a checkpoint allowing them to start at the new floor level if they decide to leave the dungeon.  Each floor should take at least an hour or two to complete with a decent party.  And of course there would be treasures and drops worth farming on each floor, maybe even some rare crafting materials. 

I'd like to emphasize the fact that no maps would be available inside this dungeon so that players really have the real feeling of being in a maze and learn the layout by experience.  I'm sure eventually. Ppl will map it and post player made maps online, but this is where if devs have time, they could implement some random generation tech in this dungeon to change up the layout of the floors every once in a while and keep players guessing.  

That way even years down the road, new players would be able to experience this dungeon and still have no idea where everything is or what the map layout is.  Which imo would create a very distinct challenge on its own.

Comments

• Hmm this idea seems familiar, almost like it was part of some anime...  :*

Joke aside, it could be fun to have a almost endless dungeon that would literally take years to do :) As long as everyone can experience the fun of it all then I'm fine with it, what I mean is that bosses shouldnt stay dead, and monsters should eventually come back.

When you think about it the world is almost like this, just by virtue of the node system. And the everchanging world that spawns from it.
  • yeah lol. Mobs and bosses would have to respawn, especially in an open world dungeon.. so others can experience them too. And the spawn would have to be somewhat short so that ppl wouldn't curse other players recently killing the boss.
  • Darshx1 said:
    yeah lol. Mobs and bosses would have to respawn, especially in an open world dungeon.. so others can experience them too. And the spawn would have to be somewhat short so that ppl wouldn't curse other players recently killing the boss.
    Aye :) But having some checkpoint system would kinda work against the "no fast travel" idea. But I guess it could just be throwing a rope down from the next floor, that would make a convenient workaround without fast travel.
  • Yeah. It could also be that the tower has magical portals that simply allow worthy players who have cleared previous levels to teleport to any levels they have previously completed, or are currently attempting to complete.  This wouldn't really break the fast travel idea as these portals would only be used within the tower itself.  And we all know portals exist as they are also the means we used to travel to this ancient world. ;)
  • Were this sounds really good (like SOA) there will be a map guaranteed. Someone would record it and post it online. I'd be that guy. The Marco Polo of AoC! 

I would like to see this in some shape or form. I think we can come up with a more AoC variant and less SOA (great anime btw). How about a tile based dungeon that is RNG. I'll call it the "Shuffling Tower". Every day it resets and each "room" shuffles. The formation will be changing. You could try to get as far as you can. When you clear a floor boss you are rewarded with loot, but also an unlock to that floor. That way tomorrow you can teleport to that floor. If you want people to help you but have not cleared previous floors then you first must help them, but it will be different from what you had to face.

The map would still be available on online resources, but would only be relevant for 24 hours. To deter people from using that resource (and play it as it was designed) you would get bonus xp/loot when finishing a floor, but it would be less and less as you get closer to the reset time. That way you want to start it right after it resets and there will be little to no knowledge to what you're getting yourself into.

Thoughts?